What's new

Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

I'd find that concerning because:

Ah, ok, that plus the 'stay human' part confused me, yeah.. hey, just doing a bit of a creative writeup thingie.

Well, finding the sword just links the fate and keeps the story going with an overarching threat, reincarnation can delay, but not stop the evil after Rovana, needing to .. taint her soul and spoil her innocence to truly break free of its prison if you catch my drift.

Why not a rebel though? Rovana as is values freedom higher than anything, even for others to some degree, infact not allowing any percieved tyrant, be it Strahd or.. recently, literally hell, control over her, has kind of shaped her as a character. *nodnod*
Well then the people are asshats around my area.

Reincarnation is always an iffy business. Hmmm, would Rovana's sword get stronger the older it gets?

As for being a rebel. Wouldn't that mean Rovana had to be born in the nation and be a rabble rouser from there to be a rebel? Otherwise, she'd be an outside instigator that is trying to disturb the Country of the vamp lord and disrupt the status quo for her own selfish benefits.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Reincarnation is always an iffy business. Hmmm, would Rovana's sword get stronger the older it gets?

As for being a rebel. Wouldn't that mean Rovana had to be born in the nation and be a rabble rouser from there to be a rebel? Otherwise, she'd be an outside instigator that is trying to disturb the Country of the vamp lord and disrupt the status quo for her own selfish benefits.
Well, in theory it could mature in power over time, that said, that has danger in its own, all too powerful magical items, linked with wicked tentacled entities.. but in my little fantasy scenario Rovana got to the point of empowering the blade.. she presumambly needs the swords power to move the skull.. can't easily take a wagon up a mountain and a paking mule or somesuch would be an easy target for whatever wildlife-creatures.

And.. uh.. not sure what you mean there. This is how reincarnation works.:You die, and.. then you are born as a new child and grow up normally as a child of that nation. If Vita were to find an early demise, mists would keep her and she'd be reborn as a native barovian. She might have a dislike of wolfs, a strong attachement to her mother and simple farming work, as well as fiendish/light inspired visions, but she'd be a new person for the most part... (and one that'd have to deal with an increase in the lupine population, I bet. :p) You keep none of your knowledge and at best your mental stats, more likely you reroll physical and perhaps combine-reroll(reroll plus add old and new divided by two) for the mental stats.
First off though why would Rovana be selfish? You can join and aid a rebellion for entirely selfless reasons, infact, its usually more selfish not to fight the establishment.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Working on posts now. Something something hangovers...

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, in theory it could mature in power over time, that said, that has danger in its own, all too powerful magical items, linked with wicked tentacled entities.. but in my little fantasy scenario Rovana got to the point of empowering the blade.. she presumambly needs the swords power to move the skull.. can't easily take a wagon up a mountain and a paking mule or somesuch would be an easy target for whatever wildlife-creatures.

And.. uh.. not sure what you mean there. This is how reincarnation works.:You die, and.. then you are born as a new child and grow up normally as a child of that nation. If Vita were to find an early demise, mists would keep her and she'd be reborn as a native barovian. She might have a dislike of wolfs, a strong attachement to her mother and simple farming work, as well as fiendish/light inspired visions, but she'd be a new person for the most part... (and one that'd have to deal with an increase in the lupine population, I bet. :p) You keep none of your knowledge and at best your mental stats, more likely you reroll physical and perhaps combine-reroll(reroll plus add old and new divided by two) for the mental stats.
First off though why would Rovana be selfish? You can join and aid a rebellion for entirely selfless reasons, infact, its usually more selfish not to fight the establishment.
Shine sword shine! Hmmm mmm mmm! need a pirate jangle to go along with the sword, having its own theme song now. What sort of ornate sword empowered by such and sundry would need? Would it be a sad pirate jangle? An inspiring pirate jangle to get back to the ocean? What sort of, what sort!

Hmmm. So my charisma stat has a chance to decrease! While my other mental stats actually could rise. No more -1 or +0 wis/int Vita! She'd be able to actually be jaded and mean. As for lupine populations, what if Vita is infact a Lupine Werewomen reincarnation! What then eh? Hmmm. Not feeling the spontaneous though bubbles bumbling out. Don't answer the question XD on what then.

Any seeking of bettering your life is always a selfish sentiment. So anything that you seek to better your life is selfish. In this instance, rebelling against the vamp lord and turning over his hard earned work which allows him to live happily and freely is very selfish of Rovana. Very much so. The pirate gal taking from him what he worked for. What he slaved over for centuries because she is all about HER.

Eh, only way I can see joining a rebellion for entirely selfless reasons is that your characters prescence is never acknowledge, you recieve no rewards, you gain no good will. You gain absolutely nothing for helping the rebellion. That is the only way I see things on being selfless.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Blarg, you has any opinions on this?
IC: Undeath is a horrible curse that traps the soul in a shell long meant to have returned to the soil. I would be happy to free them from the prison Strahd has placed them in.

OOC: Vampire pussy is probably and I don't think microwaves exist. I hella don't remember what they look or acted like, also, except I think one of them had a mask but that was Rovana's waifu of choice so she's irrelevant I guess. They're also my enemies? Which is not sexy?

Also if someone wants to switch places with me I can probably blast that wolfcunt with Radiant Flame a couple times. Alternatively, I'm not sure what the rules for bullrushes/tackling fuckers/throwing people around is in 5e but that seems like a good thing to try.

I would hella be using Thunderwave if it weren't for the fact that it would probably fuck up -everything and everyone else- I guess.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Post is up. Vita got bit.

Silvered weapons would probably be a good investment.

Some idiot left an obstacle in the road ahead. How inconvenient.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh noes! Did Vita become lycanthrope Vita now?! Also, since Esvele got higher init, gonna wait on her post up first because she goes first :D.

Esvele --> Vita --> Werewolf --> Sylvie --> Ireena

That is my reasoning *nodsnods*

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vita won't know until the full moon. Right now all she's feeling is pain from having a giant werewolf biting down on her arm. Ow ow ow!

And the rules for 'bull rushing' are simply the Shove attack. Which is an opposed Str (Athletics) check (defender may use Dex (Acrobatics) if they wish) and if the attacker wins, they can either knock the target prone or push them five feet, which in this case would topple the werewolf over the edge of the cart.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vita won't know until the full moon. Right now all she's feeling is pain from having a giant werewolf biting down on her arm. Ow ow ow!

And the rules for 'bull rushing' are simply the Shove attack. Which is an opposed Str (Athletics) check (defender may use Dex (Acrobatics) if they wish) and if the attacker wins, they can either knock the target prone or push them five feet, which in this case would topple the werewolf over the edge of the cart.
Hmmm can cast spells while being grappled by werewolf or do I need to do the shove? Am thinking of doing the reaction Hellish Rebuke spell and dealing 2d10 fire damage or half of that if the wolf fails. The reaction happens at his attack of me, so reaction resets at start of my turn. But I needed to take damage for it to activate.

Also Mists of the North post is great! Will be posting there ASAP.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, you can cast Hellish Rebuke as a reaction before taking your next turn. Would you like to do this? (This is your Tiefling innate ability right? Once per long rest.)

The werewolf hasn't officially grappled you yet. So you could to maneuver and then shove him off with an opposed STR check. If you cast a ranged attack spell while engaged with an enemy, your attack roll is at disadvantage.

Thanks, glad you liked the Mists of the North post.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, you can cast Hellish Rebuke as a reaction before taking your next turn. Would you like to do this? (This is your Tiefling innate ability right? Once per long rest.)

The werewolf hasn't officially grappled you yet. So you could to maneuver and then shove him off with an opposed STR check. If you cast a ranged attack spell while engaged with an enemy, your attack roll is at disadvantage.

Thanks, glad you liked the Mists of the North post.
At 3rd Level can cast Hellish Rebuke as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish long rest. - Racial Trait yeah. Also it is casted at 2nd Level. Not 1st Level. So instead of 2d10 Fire Damage + Cha Modifier (Due to radiant soul) It is 3D10 Fire Dmg + Cha Modifier.

Yeah I'd like to use it ^^; It does not use up any of my spell slots and dunno when I will get another golden opportunity to cast this again. Kinda forgot about it during the zombie fight.

3d10 Fire Damage + 4 (Cha Modifier) - Dex Saving Throw DC 14. On success, Halved damage. (Typing this out for my own surety. And maybe saving you time on looking it up?)

Yeah. If Malena was a wild gal, she'd break protocol to hug Gretta for her daringness.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

First of all.. that moment when your character accidentially ends up backing up her bravado. *Lip smacking noises*

Setting the average with the wolf-fight, the 'Strahd escape fight' the bridge, and this now, Rovana is a pirate of extremes, like she'll either open with a frigging crit, or a nat 1, there is no in between.
(ok, so in the Strahd escape there wasn't a nat 1, more like a roll of 3-4, consistently on constitution/healing checks, but thats scary in its own right if you're bleeding out. :p )

Now to catch up on reading and edit in my other responses here. :p

Shine sword shine! Hmmm mmm mmm! need a pirate jangle to go along with the sword, having its own theme song now. What sort of ornate sword empowered by such and sundry would need? Would it be a sad pirate jangle? An inspiring pirate jangle to get back to the ocean? What sort of, what sort!
I'll consider this as soon as I get the gem.
But theres like two sad pirate jangles. Usually they are exeptionally hard to kill, even if they actually -are-, their legends will live on, with enough people afraid enough to doubt their demise.. Rovanas goal, if immortality is out of reach. :p Inspiering I can do easy enough.:

Hmmm. So my charisma stat has a chance to decrease! While my other mental stats actually could rise. No more -1 or +0 wis/int Vita! She'd be able to actually be jaded and mean.
Just how I'd handle it, to represent a different upbringing, yet someone somewhat simliar in birth.

Any seeking of bettering your life is always a selfish sentiment. So anything that you seek to better your life is selfish
What if you don't want to starve right now, so you can continue saving orphans... so you seek out some food. You're arguing a vow of poverty approach to goodness but that has limits in generalizations.

In this instance, rebelling against the vamp lord and turning over his hard earned work which allows him to live happily and freely is very selfish of Rovana.
Undoing the workings of evil is good, even if upheaval can be expected. I've got a friend that pays paladins like.. professionally, I know all these arguments because I've tried them. :p

Eh, only way I can see joining a rebellion for entirely selfless reasons is that your characters prescence is never acknowledge
Screw that, Rovana is out. Even if reborn into someone vastly different in upbringing, she'd totally leave a calling card. Something stylish like a silver rose. Why a rose? Romantic! Why silver? Because I read the Dawn of the Silver Dragon hentai a bit too often.

OOC: Vampire pussy is probably cold and I don't think microwaves exist. I hella don't remember what they look or acted like, also, except I think one of them had a mask but that was Rovana's waifu of choice so she's irrelevant I guess. They're also my enemies? Which is not sexy?
add 1: Just means you have to.. warm them up. Also, in most canons the feeding makes them more humanlike and puts them on a nice 'not too warm not too cold' cuddle temperature.. :p
Rovana was cool with the black or the masked one, so when you were ooc like 'masks are hawt!' she leaned to Ludmilla, and quickly upgraded Ludmilla from 'the black bride' to 'actual character' So.. not too late, you can totally have the masked waifu, Rovana is busy not quite understanding that Ludmilla is charming, but also an undead monstrosity.

Also if someone wants to switch places with me I can probably blast that wolfcunt with Radiant Flame a couple times.
Sorry, whilest strategically it'd make sense to switch in Sylvia, by now she dislikes the nun enough to not comply without good reason. I guess you could try ordering a raging warrior to stop fightin' and start drivin' buuuut that may backfire.

I would hella be using Thunderwave if it weren't for the fact that it would probably fuck up -everything and everyone else- I guess.
Sylvia could tank a thunderwave without much of an issue, buuut that will backfire.

Either way.. time to read the IC, see if I should has a wait for Sylvias postin' order too.. don't want to do something that could be invalidated by other players, then again, whack the wolf wont change.. ^^

Spoiler for IC action for Sylvia
p.s. I think this is a pretty good attempt now that I rolled it, thanks rage for all the advantages I get, that'd have been a 16 and an 8 otherwise. ^^

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Post coming out for Mists in the North. Hope not overstepping things with opening part involving mentions of Gretta and Malena's friendship. If so, I will edit it.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

SHIT. I need to roll good or we all careen off into the air and die. Dice and I aren't friends so I hope you guys had fun. Rip.

Are we using Hero Point rules or whatever? I'd like to use one of those if we are.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, seeing as falling damage is normally capped at 20d6 and deals bludgeoning, and we're dealing the same 1000 ft cliff Rovana fought over....

Well, we actually have 1 round in mid air, I mathed it out. Sylvia is almost guaranteed survival, unless all those dice come up against her, ironically the werewolfs could perhaps survive too, unless they fall on a silvermine and depending their base hp.. the fall deals a rough average of 30 damage to them and Sylvia, a rough 60 to everyone without reduction.
It'd be kinda funny for Sylvia to heroically jump with a werewolf down the chasm, only to get up, after the fall, knit her wounds military style and march on, but she just met you lot. :p

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, seeing as falling damage is normally capped at 20d6 and deals bludgeoning, and we're dealing the same 1000 ft cliff Rovana fought over....

Well, we actually have 1 round in mid air, I mathed it out. Sylvia is almost guaranteed survival, unless all those dice come up against her, ironically the werewolfs could perhaps survive too, unless they fall on a silvermine and depending their base hp.. the fall deals a rough average of 30 damage to them and Sylvia, a rough 60 to everyone without reduction.
It'd be kinda funny for Sylvia to heroically jump with a werewolf down the chasm, only to get up, after the fall, knit her wounds military style and march on, but she just met you lot. :p
Huh. So it takes 200 feet to hit terminal velocity in DnD. Also wouldn't Sylvie be out of Berserk mode due to not being able to hit somebody every round?

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Huh. So it takes 200 feet to hit terminal velocity in DnD. Also wouldn't Sylvie be out of Berserk mode due to not being able to hit somebody every round?
This is why she has to fall -with- the werewolf, Gandalf and balrog style. how do you think Gandalf survived it.

Yeah its a bit fast for terminal velocity, but I guess it makes sense that after a certain point you're as screwed as you can get.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I personally disagree with the capped 20d6 damage ruling.

It's not about the fall, it's about the sudden stop at the end, and specifically what you land on. Water or flat earth or jagged rocks are all going to splat you at terminal velocity. You need to land on sand or a large amount of pillows, or a very, very wide net with proper give to really have a hope of surviving.

So I don't know if I'd want to do additional damage for the surface or what... maybe making a high DC Constitution check to avoid immediate death, and then if you make that check, you take the 20d6...

What do others think?

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I was just reciting the rules, if we were to analyze them.. and trust me, I took a closer look at just what you can survive, free fall wise, as soon as Rovana took the first hit from the undead ogre. Theres actually a website describing your chances, and yes.. you can survive falling from a height of 1000 ft and more.. but chances are against you.

Frankly, us having a round in the air plays to our advantage in this case, its not just what but also how you impact. You hit your head or belly flop, thats it.

So, first off, I'd ask for a dexterity check, perhaps.. DC 10 higher than 20 rolls reduce dc of cons to come, to align yourself mid-air to impact on your feet or butt.. your ideal hope is to land on a slope and slide, taking away velocity. You make it, we go on to the next stage, you fail, you down.

Next comes the landing, that heavily depends.. at this height water is just as lethal as rock(and you can't breathe water if you get knocked out by the fall), but! there being a river, there is a chance we land on a bit of sand or mud, so there is a chance to get a proper landing in, perhaps roll a dice to see if the pcs hit water, rock, mud, or jagged stones, Mud is a dc 5, water and stone a dc 15, jagged rocks a dc 25 cons, you fail it, you go splat, looking suprisingly non bloody as opposed to what the movies tell you,

Next, the damage. I'd convert the first 3d6 on mud, or 1d6 on other to nonlethal as the pcs braced for the impact... beyond that is fun damage rolling. I'd rule that the adrenaline from the fall could very much keep Sylvias rage going and whatever makes her sturdy enough to fight through cuts in her flesh also helps on the impact, if she made the prior checks/got lucky with the landing, she gets up with one leg not being all too good, movement reduced to half until a full rest, which.. ofc, fixes most things. :p

Or, more interestingly, movement properly reduced, she'll need a sexy, most definitly not demonic/vampiric/bestial nurse in disguise to give her a special.. soothing treatment. *nodnods*.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Some of those DCs seem a bit low. Mud may be ideal, but it's not going to be a DC 5. It's still very likely that you would die.

I'm happy to give players much, much better odds than real life, given the nature of the game, but I still want it to be very much a thing that if you go over a 1000 foot cliff, without a spell of featherfall, you're probably going to bite it.

I was thinking DC 17 for Mud, DC 22 for flat earth/water, DC 27 for jagged spikey uneven earth. Fail the Con roll, you dead.

Make the Con roll, you take the damage. 20d6 cap can stay, since we're doing the Con roll. If that HP hit kills you, then again, you die, but someone who is high level or is incredibly lucky with their damage rolls can live.