What's new

RPG Unknown/Hiatus Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggins96

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

yeah same here, the monthly sub seems to promote laziness in devs.

Papanomics

Lurker
Reputation score

I forgot which dev it was, said something about the recent delays being due to a new video game.

Mothafucka... People ain't pledging so you go on vacation and enjoy some games, work on the game! No one expects you to be working on it 24/7, but a few hours a day can go a long way.

buddy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I forgot which dev it was, said something about the recent delays being due to a new video game.

Mothafucka... People ain't pledging so you go on vacation and enjoy some games, work on the game! No one expects you to be working on it 24/7, but a few hours a day can go a long way.
Could be anyone really. Patreon has become sort of a social welfare pillow for a lot of creators. Write a short text once a month, make a so-so update every 1-3 months and cash in. Maybe complete a game in 2-3 years, or continually rewrite their current project and write seemingly exciting update statuses without ever really releasing anything. Some doesn't even do that much. I see the words "going full time" being used by a lot of them, to justify quitting their jobs and rather make games...problem is that few of them -if any- actually treat their new "full time" status as a real job. Show me one -one- full time creator who actually put in at least 7 hours of work 5 days a week, and I'll eat my words and support their project the next 3 months.

I still haven't identified MatM as that kind of project though. There's been a couple of months without any real results to show for beyond their detailed update texts, true, but their given reasons has seemed plausible so far. If they manage to come through and present a new Patreon release next month then I'm willing to give them 2-3 more months to prove that they're on track and able and willing to prove their project still worthy of financial support. What they've made so far shows a lot of promise and I don't regret pledging, but honestly, they've still got a long way to go, and yet to prove themselves a serious actor in the h-game community, on par with the ever so effective Japanese amateur h-game circles.

Patreon is supposed to be a place where creators present a project they want funding to realize, not an outright business model or welfare system. If I, as a patron, no longer believe in a given project or its creator's ability to see it through then I stop supporting it, no matter how good it seemed at some point.

Last edited:

Enlit3D

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Show me one -one- full time creator who actually put in at least 7 hours of work 5 days a week, and I'll eat my words and support their project the next 3 months.
*raise hand* Can i has my supportz now? :p

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

...as the really cool kidz used to say back in the day.

Pic or didn't happen!
:p

echidna

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Yeah you're cool. I actually moved my $5 from MatM to you last month because you actually add features relatively quickly. By the way, what features are you working on besides dialogue, story mode, and gallery and when do you think you'll be done?

Papanomics

Lurker
Reputation score

Derpixon is one of my favorites. She works and works and works. She isn't making a game like Malise, but at least she isn't milking it.

Enlit3D

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Yeah you're cool. I actually moved my $5 from MatM to you last month because you actually add features relatively quickly. By the way, what features are you working on besides dialogue, story mode, and gallery and when do you think you'll be done?
Thanks!

Currently working on the a new body model, a new face model, a new tech to use different head models on different characters, add more jiggling to areas such as butt and thighs, a couple more yuri moves for yuri Nyaa-Chan and a per character yuri/futa toggle.

But lets not derail this thread. We can continue on the HR thread or in my .

EcchiExpress

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

They switched to month-to-month payments back in October so it's been more then five months since then. I remember in this timeframe when they had pay by updates they would already have released or been close to releasing a new demo that included at least one new enemy. Very disappointed how much progress they have made since they switch to pay by monthly model. Would highly suggest against supporting these guys anymore unless they want to deal with another Breeding Season scandal

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I see what you did there! Very subtle move.

(T)H(r)ead-grab, right?!
You should try developing a wrestling game or something... :p

Nice model, btw.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Could be anyone really. Patreon has become sort of a social welfare pillow for a lot of creators. Write a short text once a month, make a so-so update every 1-3 months and cash in. Maybe complete a game in 2-3 years, or continually rewrite their current project and write seemingly exciting update statuses without ever really releasing anything. Some doesn't even do that much. I see the words "going full time" being used by a lot of them, to justify quitting their jobs and rather make games...problem is that few of them -if any- actually treat their new "full time" status as a real job. Show me one -one- full time creator who actually put in at least 7 hours of work 5 days a week, and I'll eat my words and support their project the next 3 months.
Reliable patrons are few an far in between, heck, reliable people in the industry seem to be few and far in between. The excuses after a while all start to sound the same, MatM has been using the "we did work to ensure future work is done faster" but this was months ago and as of yet there is not much of note to show for it. What adds to the problem is that simply being passionate, talented and having decent work ethic all still don't guarantee success, lacking skills like planning, assessment and presentation you'll be hard pressed to succeed at all.

As for your question I can't help but point out Sierra Lee has yet to disappoint in over a year, consistently releasing updates and having two fully finished games on top of constantly updating the main project, so give that a look.

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I don't blame content creators for abusing Patreon. I believe a lot of them actually go in with good intentions, only to realize that Patreon, once you get it running, actually removes all incentives to actually work hard, and instead favors dangling a carrot in front of your supporters each month, hoping they stick around for another. Its hard to give up that approach when its so profitable, and the Patrons so compliant.

So my blame lies rather with the Patrons themselves, their enablers. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for all the support thats being given to the industry, but you need to use your money responsively. You need to realize when your financial support has become a detriment to productivity, and maybe put it somewhere else where it can get something running. Maybe help a smaller project instead of wasting it on a project that has become a welfare-scheme. Temporarily removing your money doesn't mean the project is going to die or the content creator is going to starve, it mostly means that they need to reconsider their approach. If that happens, you can give back your support aswell.

buddy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

...I have to admit, when I went all brawn and no brain into that arguement I didn't expect a Patreon creator, seemingly with their work ethic in order, to rear their fabulous head that fast...if at all. Your project isn't 100% relevant to my interests (too vanilla), but I will back my big mouth with action. Pledged $5, and will keep at it for 3 months as promised.

Now, back to waiting for MatM's next move.

Last edited:

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

At first I wanted to make only a short post to let you know that we're still here on ULMF, but I decided to go a bit more in depth.

To those having issues with MatM per month campaign and to those thinking/insinuating that we're doing nothing, abusing Patreon, milking patrons, etc.:
Instead of assuming things based on your possible past experiences with some other Patreon campaigns or what you read about them, just sacrifice 5-15 minutes of your time to actually visit the MatM patreon page, read the overview and reward tiers descriptions, and you should see how the campaign itself and its rewards is structured and how it's different from oh so many other monthly patreon campaigns and how similar it is to previous per update version. If you are or were patron since campaign was switched to monthly, you should have a better picture of it and understand more clearly what I'm talking about.

To those having issues with lack of updates, thinking progress is insufficient, not liking what we're working on, or having the impression of being milked:
- if you weren't, aren't, and don't plan to support MatM campaign... why do you care? If you're waiting for a full game however, please, be patient...;
- if you were a patron and pledged enough for a free copy of the game upon release and you're waiting for it, please, be patient...;
- if you are a current patron, feel free to remove your pledge and come back (or not) later. I think our monthly progress reports paint good enough picture or what we did and what we intend to do - if you have questions about something, feel free to ask them in the comments to the progress report post.

Anyway, info about every newly released build will be announced publicly shortly before or shortly after the release, so you won't miss it.

@Enlit3D
You patron stealer, you :p. Seriously though, good luck with your game and thanks for directing discussion about it to a more appropriate place :).

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I can see how easy it is to assume that because all information between releases is locked behind that paywall, that the project is stagnating, or worse, being exploited. Divulging a bit more to non-Patreons would help alleviate this, even if it's a minimal plain text blurb. Trust is one of the most significant commodities in the crowdfunding market; restricting communication from the developers to only a select portion of the audience will only undermine that trust, and do little to entice more people to become Patrons between public demos. I've put the $20 in, I'll happily wait for its completion. I've paid more for experiences worse than what MaTM already is.

Maelion77

Demon Girl
Reputation score

If I can understand the goal of having a Patreon and bonus content added if you pay 5/10 or more $, the fact that developers are giving information of the development only to people who pay for it is beyond me.

I think that giving information often to your community and for free is the best thing for them to understand how you work and how you progress...They can understand when you have some bad things, because we all have bad experiences during development.

They can also get excited about features, polls etc...
Community around your game is too important to select only a part of it and share informations with them if they pay something.
That's my approach and sure...I don't have 10k per Month but the funds worked great so far for me with a different point of view.

This is a global opinion, I'm not talking of Malise that I found "could" be great but have some areas that really need to be shown (story, events, characters interaction.)
Again, I wish you the best of luck.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I agree with both of you to some extent, but I'm pretty sure I've asked Ero about this some time ago and his answer made a lot of sense as well (no, it wasn't the money ;)), and I really can't say which approach is better... depends on the situation, I guess. Thankfully, I'm not the one to make this decision ^^.
Well, back to work... best of luck to you too, Maelion77.

NLL

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

We really need to come up with a term for patreon-funded vaporware.

Patronware?

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

We really need to come up with a term for patreon-funded vaporware.

Patronware?
I think "vapor" is the key part, though... vaporeon? :D

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score

To clarify; my previous post was aimed at Patreon in general since it came up again, and the previous posters described a scenario we're all too familiar with. If it came off as personal, I take that back, my fault. Its up to the Patrons to decide whether what I've said applies to this project or not, I obviously don't have much to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.