What's new

RPG Unknown/Hiatus Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

The Amp puzzle is a lot simpler if you're willing to just fucking cheat and give yourself 99 of each type.

Still irritating though because you have to walk through the same area 20 times or so all while fighting random encounters and trying to remember which path you took to get here, but simpler.

DarkShadow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

The Amp puzzle is a lot simpler if you're willing to just fucking cheat and give yourself 99 of each type.

Still irritating though because you have to walk through the same area 20 times or so all while fighting random encounters and trying to remember which path you took to get here, but simpler.
Yeah that amp/fuse puzzle is... I don't know, that is WAY too complicated. I can understand wanting to implement puzzles into the game in order to give the gameplay some variation, but putting in puzzles that are so complicated they make you pop a vein in your head trying to figure them out is not the way the go. It seems like some of these H-game creators forget what H-games are all about. (Hint: it's all about the H-content.) Some of them get so side-tracked with other stuff that they completely forget about the actual H-content. :(

Also, the game is in desperate need of more enemy types. In its current form you actually play for a long time before you get through the game, and seeing the same 5 enemies (of which only 3 have an H-attack) over and over again gets really tedious really fast. (It's also extremely disappointing that the Fleshfather boss doesn't have a H-attack during battle. The other little tentacle things are also disappointing. They don't really have a proper H-attack. Instead they just try to drown Neon/Malise in cum. With a tentacle monster I was expecting some A-grade H-attacks. Instead we get what is probably the most disappointing tentacle monster I've ever seen.

Oh, and that insta-death move that those leeches do to Malise needs to be removed. Insta-death moves are a cheap and lazy way of making a game harder than it needs to be.

This game has a lot of potential, but there are things that require a lot of work still.

MartinX

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hopefully all the engine work will be mostly soon, so the team can focus on adding more scenes, environments, outfits, etc. I think that's exactly what the creators said in one interview actually. Still, there is some really impressive stuff already, especially for an RPG Maker game

Also, that annoying puzzle will be removed in the newest update AFAIK.

BigJohnny

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hopefully the amp shenanigans will only be present in the early stages of the game (if at all) since all they are is filler, something I'd expect from a garbage AAA game, not a reputable indie title.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's been said over and over that the fuse puzzle WILL be removed from this part of the game.

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Yeah that amp/fuse puzzle is... I don't know, that is WAY too complicated. I can understand wanting to implement puzzles into the game in order to give the gameplay some variation, but putting in puzzles that are so complicated they make you pop a vein in your head trying to figure them out is not the way the go. It seems like some of these H-game creators forget what H-games are all about. (Hint: it's all about the H-content.) Some of them get so side-tracked with other stuff that they completely forget about the actual H-content. :(

Also, the game is in desperate need of more enemy types. In its current form you actually play for a long time before you get through the game, and seeing the same 5 enemies (of which only 3 have an H-attack) over and over again gets really tedious really fast. (It's also extremely disappointing that the Fleshfather boss doesn't have a H-attack during battle. The other little tentacle things are also disappointing. They don't really have a proper H-attack. Instead they just try to drown Neon/Malise in cum. With a tentacle monster I was expecting some A-grade H-attacks. Instead we get what is probably the most disappointing tentacle monster I've ever seen.

Oh, and that insta-death move that those leeches do to Malise needs to be removed. Insta-death moves are a cheap and lazy way of making a game harder than it needs to be.

This game has a lot of potential, but there are things that require a lot of work still.
Your posts are quickly becoming the model for how to drive me crazy.

I realize people will find the project in different ways and at different stages of development, but you make a lot of assumptions for someone who appears to have downloaded a broken version of the game and has had no exposure to the discourse going on in the Patreon feed up to this point.

It's a work in progress game, and mechanics require propping up until other mechanics are completed. I could have simply left the Self Destruct skill out entirely, but I chose to include it and make it insta-kill until the necessary artwork and mechanics are present.

You also assume that just because you didn't see an H attack, that it isn't in the game (Fleshpod enemies do have a "proper" H attack, you just didn't find it). This is an early part of the game, and when I see people expecting all of the rewards right out of the gate it makes me want to put my head through a plate glass window.

I appreciate the feedback, but try to get all the facts before posting incorrect information and complaining about it.

Last edited:

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I apologize if this is redundant, if the amp puzzle has been done to death in terms of discussion, but I feel like I must add that the puzzle isn't nearly as difficult or complicated as people seem to think it is.

Not only do you get your amps back every time you finish, once you activate one of the terminals and socket it you will get more amps than you put in every time you go through, so there's no need to ever grind for amps at all. Not only that, you can mostly skip combat entirely, every fight (as long as it's not on turn-based mode at least) can be escaped long before anything hits you. The only part that's tricky is figuring out the logic behind the puzzle, which seems daunting due to lack of initial information and the prospects of having to do it over and over and over again while grinding endless amounts of amps.

The main thing the user really needs to know to solve the puzzle is that each door has a unique destination and they never overlap (for example you might assume going through door A -> B might lead to the same destination as C -> B due to rooms crossing) But you can figure that out quite easily. The puzzle is ultimately a LOT simpler than it will appear to be, and it's that appearance of difficulty that seems to frustrate most people to the point where they will give up on it before ever learning how simple of a puzzle it really is.

Now, the next version isn't going to have the puzzle anymore (and I believe I saw mention that it'll be moved to somewhere else, later in the game) but this issue might still return, to prevent such frustration I'd suggest just having the bot or some equivalent thereof inform you that each pattern of doors leads to a unique destination, and that it will collect the amps you use and return them to you every time you go through the maze. Doing so would prevent the main aggravating factors of the puzzle, which is actually quite interesting and entertaining otherwise.

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I would tend to agree - I don't think it's inherently problematic,
other than perhaps the 18 different rooms in the middle, requiring 18 runs through to cover all rooms (assuming perfect pathing).

Rather, I'd say the core issue here was one of UI/feedback:
The level did a rather poor job of telling the player what effect their actions had -
the fuses are relatively easy in isolation, but the player is also working out why they sometimes get dumped to the exit,
as well as how rooms are connected in the first place (does A,B go to a different room than B,A?)

A "you are here" map element would go a long way to alleviate confusion,
or adding features to each room that indicates the hidden puzzle state - perhaps lights over each door that count how many times you've been there,
as well as some more obvious art/decoration variations to make it easier to tell whether you've been somewhere before.

Or a different way of looking at it:
The level combined several puzzle elements that each individually wouldn't be too bad,
but layering them all on top of each other created a situation where players just figured out one element, only to get completely stumped by the next,
and perhaps incorrectly questioning their assumptions.
(Specifically, "when does a door lead to the exit" is order-independent but "what room does this door lead to" is not)

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I apologize if this is redundant, if the amp puzzle has been done to death in terms of discussion, but I feel like I must add that the puzzle isn't nearly as difficult or complicated as people seem to think it is.

Not only do you get your amps back every time you finish, once you activate one of the terminals and socket it you will get more amps than you put in every time you go through, so there's no need to ever grind for amps at all. Not only that, you can mostly skip combat entirely, every fight (as long as it's not on turn-based mode at least) can be escaped long before anything hits you. The only part that's tricky is figuring out the logic behind the puzzle, which seems daunting due to lack of initial information and the prospects of having to do it over and over and over again while grinding endless amounts of amps.

The main thing the user really needs to know to solve the puzzle is that each door has a unique destination and they never overlap (for example you might assume going through door A -> B might lead to the same destination as C -> B due to rooms crossing) But you can figure that out quite easily. The puzzle is ultimately a LOT simpler than it will appear to be, and it's that appearance of difficulty that seems to frustrate most people to the point where they will give up on it before ever learning how simple of a puzzle it really is.

Now, the next version isn't going to have the puzzle anymore (and I believe I saw mention that it'll be moved to somewhere else, later in the game) but this issue might still return, to prevent such frustration I'd suggest just having the bot or some equivalent thereof inform you that each pattern of doors leads to a unique destination, and that it will collect the amps you use and return them to you every time you go through the maze. Doing so would prevent the main aggravating factors of the puzzle, which is actually quite interesting and entertaining otherwise.
I would tend to agree - I don't think it's inherently problematic,
other than perhaps the 18 different rooms in the middle, requiring 18 runs through to cover all rooms (assuming perfect pathing).

Rather, I'd say the core issue here was one of UI/feedback:
The level did a rather poor job of telling the player what effect their actions had -
the fuses are relatively easy in isolation, but the player is also working out why they sometimes get dumped to the exit,
as well as how rooms are connected in the first place (does A,B go to a different room than B,A?)

A "you are here" map element would go a long way to alleviate confusion,
or adding features to each room that indicates the hidden puzzle state - perhaps lights over each door that count how many times you've been there,
as well as some more obvious art/decoration variations to make it easier to tell whether you've been somewhere before.

Or a different way of looking at it:
The level combined several puzzle elements that each individually wouldn't be too bad,
but layering them all on top of each other created a situation where players just figured out one element, only to get completely stumped by the next,
and perhaps incorrectly questioning their assumptions.
(Specifically, "when does a door lead to the exit" is order-independent but "what room does this door lead to" is not)
There are good points in here which I think will be alleviated the next time the puzzle rolls around.

I was doing all the map artwork at the time, and actually had planned to make the area get more uh, goopy, as the characters proceed deeper into it. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to do that, so it resulted in the puzzle rooms looking very similar.

A big part of peoples' problems was not finding Malise early on (even though there's something that leads you to her). Without her combat is much more difficult, since the area was designed for 2 characters in the party. When the puzzle returns this whole fiasco won't be in the middle of it.

Anyone playing the game from an *ahem* unofficial source, is likely playing the broken version in which you can't see the fuses on the ground that are returned to you (or possibly the item to trigger Malise's event), making the puzzle *much* harder.

Also, the next time it appears there will be way more goodies to find, since the equipment system will be fully fleshed out.

EDIT: Wanted to point out that it should take a lot fewer than 18 run-throughs to find everything . Even a lot fewer, however, is a good reason to make it a side area, since people will inevitably want to get everything and breaking pacing of the story to do that isn't a lot of fun.

How do you find this
Artwork for the same enemy H chain can change based on the states of the characters :D. There's my hint >.>

Last edited:

MurphyMurph

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Hmm is it possible for Malise's bottom armor to break before the top?

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Artwork for the same enemy H chain can change based on the states of the characters :D. There's my hint >.>
Are you talking about the one where they drown the victim while fucking them?

I saw that, but if those are their two h-scenes, then they don't have a finishing move.
I mean, it's not terrible that they don't have one, but that might be what he's getting at.

As for the amp puzzle, since you can just grind for amps it's not hard, it's just complex enough to be annoying. Plus the fact that you have to do the same thing over and over again drains the enjoyment from the game. The fact that you need to find specific routes means that without a guide you'll end up going through it dozens of times.

The fact that you need to get the lotion before anything else just means that you need to randomly stumble upon the right combination before you can progress, and the NVG is pretty much the same thing.

The basic amp stuff like collecting them from enemies and chests to open doors is fine. Frankly I enjoyed that. Just not the main fusebot puzzle.

I kinda hope there's some hidden door that opens when you boost the amp-level far beyond where it needed to go. (go back and switch out all the 5amp's for 20amp's) for some bonus loot or something.

Just not that same room with the same three doors.

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Hmm is it possible for Malise's bottom armor to break before the top?
Her top doesn't really break, it just kind of falls open when she gets horny enough. Also, I don't think it's possible for armor to break without getting at least minor lust sickness.

MurphyMurph

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Her top doesn't really break, it just kind of falls open when she gets horny enough. Also, I don't think it's possible for armor to break without getting at least minor lust sickness.
I guess the nip will slip when they get perky.

Hmm no Lust heal items, can't test out if Malise has an alternate Fleshpod attack.

DarkShadow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Your posts are quickly becoming the model for how to drive me crazy.

I realize people will find the project in different ways and at different stages of development, but you make a lot of assumptions for someone who appears to have downloaded a broken version of the game and has had no exposure to the discourse going on in the Patreon feed up to this point.

It's a work in progress game, and mechanics require propping up until other mechanics are completed. I could have simply left the Self Destruct skill out entirely, but I chose to include it and make it insta-kill until the necessary artwork and mechanics are present.

You also assume that just because you didn't see an H attack, that it isn't in the game (Fleshpod enemies do have a "proper" H attack, you just didn't find it). This is an early part of the game, and when I see people expecting all of the rewards right out of the gate it makes me want to put my head through a plate glass window.

I appreciate the feedback, but try to get all the facts before posting incorrect information and complaining about it.
You talk about "making assumptions" but then you do the same. I got the game from a friend who says he was a patreon on your site at one point, and that is where he got it from. That is what he told me, and I had no reason to question him about it. You also seem to take offense at anything I post about your game. So I'll do us both a favor and just not say anything about it any more. Good day.

devvah

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I guess the nip will slip when they get perky.

Hmm no Lust heal items, can't test out if Malise has an alternate Fleshpod attack.
Use CE to edit lust value, it's damn easy just remember that for VX it's value*2+1.

blood mane

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

damn, someday im gonna buy this game :D:(:D:(:D

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

You talk about "making assumptions" but then you do the same. I got the game from a friend who says he was a patreon on your site at one point, and that is where he got it from. That is what he told me, and I had no reason to question him about it. You also seem to take offense at anything I post about your game. So I'll do us both a favor and just not say anything about it any more. Good day.
No, you PMed people on the board asking for it and someone gave you a broken version. People tell me these things.

Here's the summary:
  • You don't support our project, but...
  • You demand changes to our project.
  • You post incorrect information about our project that unless corrected will be assumed to be true.
  • You suggest that I'm the problem when I call you on it.

At the end of it, all I'm saying is there are some guidelines to providing constructive criticism, and it is pretty apparent you're just interested in telling us what to do.

lordmou

Demon Girl
Reputation score

No, you PMed people on the board asking for it and someone gave you a broken version. People tell me these things.

Here's the summary:
  • You don't support our project, but...
  • You demand changes to our project.
  • You post incorrect information about our project that unless corrected will be assumed to be true.
  • You suggest that I'm the problem when I call you on it.

At the end of it, all I'm saying is there are some guidelines to providing constructive criticism, and it is pretty apparent you're just interested in telling us what to do.
Now thats how you lay a professional smack down

Status
Not open for further replies.