What's new

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM FORTRESS 2 TOPIC

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score
The multiplayer thread wasn't good enough, tf2 deserves its own thread ok

Let's start out our discussion by addressing balance issues. Valve. Seriously. The scout is underpowered as fucking shit.

Fix this fucking shit, guys. No more stupid robot hand engies. Fix the scout.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM FORTRESS 2 TOPIC

The AWP needs a nerf. Seriously, that sniper is way too strong.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Maybe you just need to stop playing the Scout so shitty, Obe.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Haha ironically, you got killed by a scout.

The scout is pretty powerful, but so are the other classes when played correctly. I can't give an accurate opinion on the scout because I feel that the scout, unlike the other classes, have sidegrades not for efficiency but annoyance. When it comes to other classes unlocks, I weight what's better in general and chose that, but when it comes to being a scout, I recognize that all the default stuff is better, but I use fan, bonk, and sandman, specifically because I want to be as ANNOYING as possible. Not better, just annoying.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

They threw the scout's update in the trash because his vanilla loadout is devastating enough as it is. If the scout is played right, he isn't an annoyance and a quick flag capper. He's a fucking powerhouse on wheels. In TFC, literally all he was good for was capping flags because he could do it at the speed of sound. That's what the unlocks did. They made him more of a flag capper (force jumping for quick escapes, bonk for getting past sentries, and sandman to deter an enemy that might be following you).

The scout update WAS to add efficiency, just not efficiency in combat. If you've ever played doublecross for example, the force jump makes flag capping take about 20 seconds less. Scouts who cap by forcejumping across the main bridge in the middle can get that shit to the other base in 10 seconds or less. The scout update granted mobility, lots of it, and that's about it. The FaN is terrible for any combat situation and the scattergun is better in every way. But force jumping lets scouts basically fucking fly in some maps, and that's all that matters. That's all the FaN is for.

The sandman removes 15 hp, leaving you with 110. Which, fyi, DOES matter. A SHITLOAD. A soldier can shoot you at point blank with the normal rocket launcher and you'll be instagibbed. So the sandman, along with the FaN, removes efficiency in combat, just to add an annoyance factor. I've rarely died to a scout who's used the sandman to make his flanking more effective. Which is really fucking sad by the way. Your aim is so bad, you need be to me unable to fight back in order for your flank to succeed? Suck less.

Bonk replaces the pistol, which automatically ruins combat efficiency by quite a bit.

The scout update, by this point, is currently saying "HEY, SCOUTS! STOP TRYING TO BE EFFICIENT IN COMBAT! RUN AWAY FROM ALL OF YOUR ENEMIES, ANNOY THEM A SHITLOAD, AND CAP FLAGS INSTEAD!" That's not necessarily a bad thing. In TFC, that's what the scout was. Nothing but a flag capper. The fucking medic was more powerful than the scout was. The scout update kind of brought the scout back to his roots of being a scrawny weakling whose only use was capping the flags. Others don't view it this way, so they hate the scout update and think the scout deserves another.

He doesn't. If you're good at the scout, the vanilla loadout is more than enough to perform well. Don't touch the unlocks unless you don't think you'd ever be any good at scout and you just want to go scout in order to cap flags in a game that's been in a neverending stalemate for an hour. The scout's update doesn't need a redo.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

100% right. Like I was trying to say, I'm annoying on purpose. I don't even cap flags or points when I'm doing it either, I just piss people off and flee.

The only time I cap is the exact thing you brought up. I hate doublecross and force jump the map away in less than a minute just so people will rtv off of it.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hahah, I love FaN scouts. On the rare occasion that I'm an engie, I build a sentry in the sniper's battlements. Gets the little pricks every time. I've gone FaN scout and gotten all 3 caps on my own before though. Sometimes I get a friend to go FaN scout and we work together. Two scouts trying to force jump the intel away is really fucking annoying.

I love DC though, I used to play on a 24/7 server all of the time. I don't play any tf2 anymore though, mostly just against bots for kicks. If I play a pub, I either get mad that I'm having an offday or I get mad at a bad team. Or both.

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Honestly, how can people suck at Heavy. I rack up kills like crazy when I play him and all I do is just the slow version of a W+M1 pyro. Is it seriously that hard to aim the GIANT CROSSHAIR to the general direction of the enemy?

There were five heavies and three medics in a bottleneck position firing at three sentries. Even with simultaneous ubers, they sucked so bad they all died. So I got a friend to heal me while I went heavy myself and ended up taking out all three sentries myself. And it's not like they weakened the sentries for me or anything; the engies were full-on swinging at them.

Seriously Heavy is not that hard of a class to play. Why the fuck do people suck so bad at it?

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Is it seriously that hard to aim the GIANT CROSSHAIR to the general direction of the enemy?
LOL SOMEBODY USES DEFAULT CROSSHAIRS

fucking scrub

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Says the guy who thinks demos are an offensive class.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Says the guy who thinks medics AREN'T an offensive class.

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

I DO think they're an offense class. Of course you'd never notice that because you're too damn busy RUNNING AWAY WHEN I'M TRYING TO HEAL YOU.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Oh, it was only the rooftops! You can heal me from there!

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Great thinking! By the way, can you drop me that sandwich of yours? I'm going to die and I need the health.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sorry, but

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Oh God a pyro! *Death*

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

At least I get to keep my sandvich...

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Oh hey. I'm on the other team now. I'm going Pyro and I'm gonna burn that sunuvabitch Heavy for not healing me.

Oh wait. The only thing remotely useful I can do now is compression blast him so high in the air he takes fall damage.

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

Honestly, how can people suck at Heavy. I rack up kills like crazy when I play him and all I do is just the slow version of a W+M1 pyro. Is it seriously that hard to aim the GIANT CROSSHAIR to the general direction of the enemy?

There were five heavies and three medics in a bottleneck position firing at three sentries. Even with simultaneous ubers, they sucked so bad they all died. So I got a friend to heal me while I went heavy myself and ended up taking out all three sentries myself. And it's not like they weakened the sentries for me or anything; the engies were full-on swinging at them.

Seriously Heavy is not that hard of a class to play. Why the fuck do people suck so bad at it?
This.

I can not tell you how many times in the 2 days I've played this game, as a medic, I've decided "Oh hey maybe I shouldn't try to fight and instead heal this fat ass and perhaps we'll be able to kill more!" Just to have them fail at killing what's right in front of them. Oh yeah and to never have them spy check. EVER.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I main spy, so most of the discussions about TF2 balance go over my head, because I can't really play any other class to a high standard. I only really need to know one thing when it comes to guns, and that's that three point blank shots with the revolver kills any of the weak classes.

I did have a fun discussion with someone once, they were saying that there should be cooldown on placing a sapper so that spies can't just stand there continually replacing it when it's knocked off. Apparently, spies that outskill an engineer and backstab him are fine, but ones that just put sappers down are lame. My reply went something like:

"How fucking lazy can you engineers get? You actually want to have to put 0 effort in don't you? You are trying to force spies to kill you first, yet you sit on top of your dispenser with your back to a corner. If there was cooldown on sappers, you could just stay sitting there watching the spy and not pay him any mind. There would be no way for the spy to kill your sentry without going through you first, and they'd cease to be a counter."

Also, one of the new payload maps, the one with the spiral wodden structure with the ramps up to the final point, is the biggest gift for spies ever. Dropping down for DFA stabs is so easy and so beautiful.