What's new

The Klub 17?? (Discussions about forum only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

regularguy77

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: The Klub 17??

Just checking in I'm Klub member looking for answers. I'll stay tuned to see what happens. Message me if anyone has new info or just want to share content.

totay69

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Nice to find all the TK17'ers - thought we were lost for ever! See you 'gypsies' back at the camp site once, (if), it's back on its feet - otherwise we'll have to find a new home. This time I'm going to collect and collate all the game content I can for safe keeping!n(You don't know what you've got till it's gone!)

PTR

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Nice to find all the TK17'ers - thought we were lost for ever! See you 'gypsies' back at the camp site once, (if), it's back on its feet - otherwise we'll have to find a new home. This time I'm going to collect and collate all the game content I can for safe keeping!n(You don't know what you've got till it's gone!)
I think it's going to be back on its feet. If I understood Morotaika right there's really just a name server problem. So hopefully everything will be back to normal as soon as the problem is solved.

But backing up is a good thing to do! Luckily some higher force made me do it just before the darkness. ;) There's important stuff in my PM's, though, so I hope they're still there...

Reactions: Roy

Xalas

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think it's going to be back on its feet. If I understood Morotaika right there's really just a name server problem. So hopefully everything will be back to normal as soon as the problem is solved.

But backing up is a good thing to do! Luckily some higher force made me do it just before the darkness. ;) There's important stuff in my PM's, though, so I hope they're still there...
You always back up everything you do. I did that day one when I first discovered you guys :D

totay69

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Excellent! - You guys are great, this means most of the content is safe! I have plenty backed up too - but not everything. I'll have to re-patch to the latest version when we're back in business though - running on 7.4 with no patches at the moment - Xalas - always love your profile pics by the way! :)

Last edited:

Moondragon77

Reputation score

I can't say I have *all* the content, but I do have a lot, and I'm willing to help with missing created content if needed when the time comes.

Reactions: Roy

Akigawa

Reputation score

The entire game was a moot point.
It was lacking in vision, adding content to a game without potential.
I don't know why anyone's looking for it now, considering so much better could be done with current tech-- even just by us in a forum with unity3d and blender (hint hint~)
I have an idea like that, even, but that's for another post in the future~

Xalas

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Excellent! - You guys are great, this means most of the content is safe! I have plenty backed up too - but not everything. I'll have to re-patch to the latest version when we're back in business though - running on 7.4 with no patches at the moment - Xalas - always love your profile pics by the way! :)
Thanks, I always go for the arousing but curiosity stricken type of pics lol.

xeraxeca

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The entire game was a moot point.
It was lacking in vision, adding content to a game without potential.
I don't know why anyone's looking for it now, considering so much better could be done with current tech-- even just by us in a forum with unity3d and blender (hint hint~)
I have an idea like that, even, but that's for another post in the future~
The original game concept and most of its implementation are very poor, but there is no available alternative that I know of. And what the modding community has been able to achieve based upon this is astonishing.

But you're absolutely right: we have everything that is needed to create a similar game from the ground up, completely OPEN SOURCE, totally extensible and moddable. And completely legal, no more hiding into the bushes.

The basic logic to build and render scenes should be very simple to put together. Everything else could be put on top later. A little C++ core to control the 3D engine, and everything else extensively scripted in Python...
And using OpenGL, running on Linux, Mac and even that Win-thing.

Most of the original game's meshes and textures put by that one 3's company, they got from slightly modified open-licensed stuff available on the web. Our content is already extremely better and comprehensive, and we just need to slightly modify it to eliminate any copyright claims, and it's done.

PTR

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

But you're absolutely right: we have everything that is needed to create a similar game from the ground up, completely OPEN SOURCE, totally extensible and moddable. And completely legal, no more hiding into the bushes.

The basic logic to build and render scenes should be very simple to put together. Everything else could be put on top later. A little C++ core to control the 3D engine, and everything else extensively scripted in Python...
And using OpenGL, running on Linux, Mac and even that Win-thing.

Most of the original game's meshes and textures put by that one 3's company, they got from slightly modified open-licensed stuff available on the web. Our content is already extremely better and comprehensive, and we just need to slightly modify it to eliminate any copyright claims, and it's done.
Every now and then someone comes up with this idea, but nothing ever happens. I know there's people in the community that would be willing and able to help with this, but for some reason no one has ever started to do anything about it. Maybe there isn't enough determined leader to this kind of project?

Until then we're stuck with what we have now, so here we are.

PunkBuster

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Every now and then someone comes up with this idea, but nothing ever happens. I know there's people in the community that would be willing and able to help with this, but for some reason no one has ever started to do anything about it. Maybe there isn't enough determined leader to this kind of project?

Until then we're stuck with what we have now, so here we are.
You are right, there are people, who can do their own game with blackjack and hookers, but it is very time-consuming and very complicated for one person, there must be a well-organised team and spare time and money :D

Leugim

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Am I misunderstanding something or are some people here actually taking the p*ss on the K17 community for "doing something shady" or "illegal"?
seriously? on this website, people do that all the time.... o_O

like Devi said before, k17 is just a user custom made modified SV, no more no less, problem is the company doesn't want to give any creativity outside their set boundaries of control and ofc, purse.
think of it like buying Skyrim only bethesda not allowing user made mods and cashing in on the smallest bethesda only updates.

having that said noone blames ULMF for wanting it out of their problems, its not like they could "shelter" it or anything, but its kinda sad to see some attitudes of some members towards K17, especially considering people belong to both communities.

Xalas

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I love that idea, but I am not a programmer, marketing, special effects, editing, etc. is my thing if that helps.

Lurker
Reputation score

Am I misunderstanding something or are some people here actually taking the p*ss on the K17 community for "doing something shady" or "illegal"?
seriously? on this website, people do that all the time.... o_O

like Devi said before, k17 is just a user custom made modified SV, no more no less, problem is the company doesn't want to give any creativity outside their set boundaries of control and ofc, purse.
think of it like buying Skyrim only bethesda not allowing user made mods and cashing in on the smallest bethesda only updates.

having that said noone blames ULMF for wanting it out of their problems, its not like they could "shelter" it or anything, but its kinda sad to see some attitudes of some members towards K17, especially considering people belong to both communities.
ULMF will host anything that doesn't get us into trouble. This means that we don't play host to certain kinds of content, and we don't play host to things we've been asked to remove. K17 fits in one of those categories. The folks representing your crowd before did very poorly at making a positive impression on the community, which is why some of our more active members have voiced some concern. And some of your current peers seem to be eager to continue this negative trend.

Most, not all but many, of the people posting for K17 stuff here now have less than a dozen posts to their names. They are members only in the most technical sense of the term. It feels to me less like there was a mutual membership and more like there were a couple of people who were here too and told you this was where to rally.

omgwtf

Reputation score

This is OMGWTF from the Klub site (The one that did the tutorials). Just wanted to thank ULMF.ORG for letting us use this forum temporarily until we can get things going again. They don't have to allow us to use their site, and I appreciate them putting up with us during this transition.

Thanks for the updates everyone. I was really sad to see the site shut down all of a sudden. Especially since Rick had just put up some really useful files. Please feel free to PM me on here if I could help with anything. I don't know if there would be anything I could do, but I really love the TK17 community as we were in the middle of making some huge developments.

-OMGWTF

tkb

Reputation score

I think it is maybe time to start making a better game, new, open source executables. With a separate, but integrated (as plug-ins) converters/loaders for txx files. That would leave the dogs no arguments to bother us, and give us a much better game in the end. I was thinking of OGRE for an engine, and the MakeHuman mesh generator for characters. It is an idea I've had for some time now.

It is quite a big project for one person alone, but reasonable for 5-6 of us. I do have a day job, but could put in some work.

Marnie_Marlodo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think they should know the opinion of our captain K17.
My opinion: It would not be easy, but faced many difficulties begin and time many people will leave.
:cool:

Exited

Reputation score

I hope I'm wrong...

But for me, it seems that the technician has gone on vacation and nobody is there to press the restart button :D

I hope we don't have to be like this until September!

Anyway... Patience! What else can we do? ;)

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Is that post genuine? From a SV team member? If so...

There's nothing quite like a poorly written TL:DR rant to destroy any existing and future sympathy for your cause. Throw in some internet conspiracy theories and a confusing alternating hostile and polite tone for good measure. Seems like a good way to be taken seriously.

I've heard people say... "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

Perhaps, but it sure does seem that there's such a thing as god-damned-abysmal-publicity.

There are multiple specific cases in ULMF's history, where H-game devs have turned up in threads, or made their own, politely asking people to refrain from pirating their game/s, and then taken part in the discussion about their games, their future plans, and such. And it turns out, that people really will listen, voluntarily removing links and even advertising the games as, "One of the games you should actually buy and support, because the dev's a cool guy!"

There are also several cases of the opposite, where a dev has turned up in a thread to call everyone assholes and indignantly demand payment. The result is usually that the game/links will have to be taken down via official admin intervention, the fans of the game form into secret clubs that distribute the game via other means, and mentioning the game or the dev becomes a taboo that's never discussed positively again. Sadly, there are also often at least a few people that during the process will demonise and place blame on the forum's admin, or even the user base in general, for having to follow policy on such things.
(And no, I'm not even talking about Klub here. Can think of at least two other examples off the top of my head.)

I wonder how long it took to spam out that mental trainwreck of a post. Probably less time than this one, to be honest.

[Edit]
Oh hey, he deleted it. Oh well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.