What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Random movie talky stuff.

So, seen two rather good movies over the past few days. The thriller "Black Swan" and the horror title "Let Me In".

Let Me In is an American movie based off a Danish book. The book was also made into a movie in Denmark titled "Let the Right One In", which was really good, though I could have done without the 12 year old full frontal nude scene. Still, I wasn't sure what to expect from the American version, and was happy when I found out the director was just doing his own adaptation of the book, rather than a remake of the other film. I think this works out really well, and while there are some rather noticeable differences, the films are quite the same. Indeed I think I may like the newer version better.

The American version of the film relies heavily on atmosphere, and the drama between the boy Owen and the girl Abby. Which is not usual for American horror that I've seen lately. While this newer version does have more emphasis on the vampiric qualities of Abby (The Danish film didn't have her as primal in her attacks) I still think it works really well. The new films also doesn't have any focus on the group of friends that live in the apartment building, and has almost removed Owen's father completely. However, the extra focus on the boy and the girl, as well as the side characters of the investigating Police Officer and Abby's caretaker work very very well for this version.

I highly recommend fans of thrillers, horror and drama watch both versions as they are on par with each other and the differences merely being difference in focus of side characters, and the opening.

Next is Black Swan. I don't know what to say about the film without spoiling it. It's a fairly slow paced thriller with some good twists throughout. The characters are all intriguing and always made me curious about their true motivations. It's dark, sexy at times, beautiful, and passionate. Great film, I loved sitting through it. The Mila Kunis/ Natalie Portman love scene was also rather interesting, loved the way her tattoos were sliding under her skin through the steamily shot sequence.

The film is essentially Swan Lake, the very ballet they are performing in the film.

Lurker
Reputation score

Black Swan:
If you love psychological thrillers, this is your movie.
If you love ballet, this is your movie.
If you love suspense horror, this is your movie.
If you think watching a lesbian scene between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman is worth the cost of a movie ticket, this is your movie.

A fine movie in all regards, but difficult to talk about because of spoilers.

I still have no idea whether or not Mila Kunis was a real person. It's one thing I hate about unreliable narrators, the more unreliable they are the harder it is to figure out how much of the film happened.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think she was, and that Nina (Natalie Portman's character) simply projected Lily's image as that other half of herself. I was second guessing too, so I think the only reason I believe that Lily was real was because of the troop master's interactions with her. Still, I think they intentionally left that open.

Lurker
Reputation score

The reason it's questionable is because even though it's being told from the third person it's stilll from Nina's view. It is entirely possible that the whole of the film was just the adventures of a mad woman. I won't believe that, as it turns the film into a farce,but you get the idea.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I get exactly what your saying. There are some things I wondered whether they were real or not. Pretty sure the mom was real simply because she kept the broken fingers from one scene to the next.

Yer right though, hard to tell what was real, and what wasn't.

Lurker
Reputation score

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Reminds me of Natalie Portman's interview about the movie.

"How do you get guys to go see a ballet movie and how do you get women to see a horror movie? Lesbian sex scene."

Strikes me as one of those "watch at home because wait, what?" movies, where rewind is a good thing (for more reasons than stated above.) I like being able to go back and catch things I might have missed.

Lurker
Reputation score
Battle Royale

This movie will mind fuck you...

Is the law to make unruly students kill eachother on a deserted isle a good one?

discuss...

E

Exofluke

Re: Battle Royale

Is that main kid the same actor who played L in the Death Note TV show?

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Battle Royale is a classic.

We should have an equivalent contest with the online personalities of this forum. :cool:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

And in real life, i AM an OP character.

Eh, I don't know, I like the movie's concept but goddamn do I hate how it was made. I mean I still enjoy it, but it was technically shit. And this movie is not news at all really, I'd expect everyone on this forum to know it.

Now Oldboy on the other hand...

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Takeshi Kitano!!!

*cough*

The movie suffers from typical japanese young actors overacting and poor camera filters, but the concept is very interesting and the background is fairly well built and explained and kitano's in there.

Kid's these days really have no respect for anyone or anything...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Really the movie was only good for you to steal the idea for every situation you're in. Every large grouping I've been in for extended periods of time since high school, I had to play out in my mind who would probably be the biggest threat to me in a battle royale. I've been pretty lucky so far.

Also, we HAVE a movie section

Lurker
Reputation score

Well I had just discovered this and seeing as there is a sequel I was hoping to turn it into a ULMF cult following.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Sarah says the sequel isn't as good as the original, so she didn't buy it.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

You've only recently heard of Battle Royale? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?! That shit is old, like at least 8 years old because I watched the movie when I was about 16 or so. And I doubt it'll become a 'cult following' on ULMF as I'd imagine most people have watched/read it by now and have long gotten over it. And yes, the sequel to the movie was nowhere near as good as the first movie.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I saw it in Afghanistan.