What's new

Ouroboros

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Ouroboros

I think it evokes Breath of Fire 3 for me. Man, that game was the shit.
The thing is... I never played breath of fire. I've never really touched those sorts of JRPG's when I was a child, so I don't really have any basis for this nostalgia.

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I totally get what you guys are saying. Something about the huge health and damage numbers are one of the more annoying things to me about RPG Maker. It was one of the first things I changed in my game.

RPG Maker is capable of doing quite a bit, it just takes time and effort. Rebalancing everything it something that should probably be reserved for only the bigger games, so that Sierra Lee tackled it a bit here was a nice touch. Some of the things I've learned, if Sierra plans to continue to mess with the battle system in the future:

1. I think the exp and stat curves kind of suck. I found it much easier to control experience levels manually, and just limit a max level. This was a good script:
Dekita's EXP Control:

I also thought some of the stats were useless (luck) and this one lets you change a lot of stuff: Vlue's Stats and Formulas:

In spending over a month building and balancing a battle system. I also found it quite helpful to create averages and build from there. For example, I decided where the "average" male soldier would fall in terms of strength, HP, mana, etc. Then, I built characters around that, so Aylia would start below average, but could end up near "heroic". It also lets you build monsters based around the world "average." If that makes sense. It is kind of overwhelming to try and build everything, so this mental approach really helped me.

Sorry if all that is off topic. I just like Sierra's work, and really like the idea of her(?) future works modifying the battle system even further. So, I thought I'd chime in. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk about script, development, etc. I feel we could both probably learn a lot from each other :)

Oh, and keep up the awesome work!

Iskra

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This might be the best H-game I've ever played. It's just so tight! Nothing wasted or overlooked. Very well done.

Combustion Man

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I played around 2 hours (first cycle) and here's my thoughts, i know the game is done, maybe my opinion will help you for your next games, maybe not. :p

I don't like :
- slow battle animation, specially that useless step forward before attacking (really annoying against 5 enemies), maybe that's a MV feature and you can't do anything about it.
- script (first cycle) except the first and the last scene, that's quite bland, maybe that's intentional according to the storyline.
- console like : artifact X to open X gates, ice armor to counter ice attacks, this system is over-used here, for my liking.
- We need to get TP when hit, at least when hit by a minimum amount of HP.

What i like :
- 5TP at the beginning of every battle (10 would be awesome, yes, multi-hit skill, fast battles, i'm one track minded :p )
- Mapping is really good

Except for that, the game is ok, even pleasant, jumping doesn't add much, except when you're stuck behind a NPC but i'm not sure it works indoor, i didn't try it.
Monsters artwork is very good (maybe that's included with RPGMaker MV ).

Last edited:

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

You might just be missing something very important about the game if you're complaining about how constrained and repetitive it feels.

I might even go so far as to say that that's the point before the blinders are removed

keith3

Demon Girl
Reputation score

There's a number of people posting about being stuck, which makes me assume even more are giving up without posting. And while a walkthrough sort of sucks for this game, I'm putting one here to at least get people over that first hump (pun not intended) which is a bit harder.

Note that I didn't write all of this (found it on a password-protected site that I can't remember), but I did enhance it since there were some mistakes, inefficiencies, and unclear parts.

Pre-walkthrough notes

There are free potions (up to 3 at once) and elixirs at the bar, this is the only time I'm mentioning where to get them.

Exact locations for coins aren't provided. Most are in plain sight, but some are behind trees.

Walkthrough/Guide

Follow story railroading until asked to find 40 gold for a bomb bag. Teira will pay for the rest.

Help the old lady outside the bar find her cat near the magic shop for 10g, chest below exit to castle for 10g, ask Amiel for 10g, and teach the kid in the northwest mansion how to fight for 10g.

Buy the bomb bag from the item shop.

Head west to the forest. Throw that 100g bomb away and move deeper in. Skip fighting enemies if you can, there's no benefit.

Go north across the second bridge you come across. Ignore Slimey every time he tells you not to go somewhere, dude is lame looking anyways. (Sorry Sierra) You can't go completely in this direction yet, but there are some chests you can grab. Don't try fighting the big monster yet, he'll mess you up bad.

Backtrack and continue to the cave. Inside are simple press-the-switch puzzles. Head straight for the switches first and explore after you fight the boss and get the stone breaking hammer. We'll do the optional fight in the crack in the wall later.

At this point you have 215g and some cheese. Head back to town and give the cheese to the admiral-looking guy in the upstairs portion of the mansion in the northwest of town for an attack increase. Also buy the sharp sword from the shop, it costs more but is just as effective on everything.

The ice dungeon is south. Grab the treasure chests in the area that you can. Again, ignore the optional fight for now.

In the ice dungeon find the chest surrounded by tables and open it. This will unlock the rest of the dungeon. Find some more switches and grab all the chests you can before going back to that chest. Kill the bosses by focusing on one and healing when needed and then try to leave. Once again we're ignoring the optional fight here, see the pattern?

Oh no! A trap! Get saved by Teira and then learn nothing and go back inside for those chests you missed near the entrance.

Back in town give the grapes to the bunny girl in the bar to get a max life increase. Feel free to buy the heavy armor. You can do the ring quest by buying the pickaxe from the guard in the bar and then going to the guy upstairs in the inn, the girl on the beach, the guy in town south of the exit towards the castle, and finally back to the guy who sold you the pickaxe. I don't recommend leaving the ring equipped but there is one fight for it later. You can also grab any shards you can afford from the magic shop. Go north, ignore the optional fight against the peacock monster and grab all the chests. Try to go into the cave but get told to find Amiel.

After grabbing Amiel from her house, the fairy you are looking for will be on the hill. Get teased by the fairy (for now.. *ominous sexytime music plays*), piss off Amiel by being a standard anime hero, and then go kill the goblins in the cave. Ignore the dragon, he'll eat your face off. Go deliver a sack of goblin heads to the fairy and then head back inside and use your newly acquired horn to get some meat and more gold.

There's a man in the first floor of the inn who wants your meat, give it to him for satisfaction and also a defense increase I suppose. Talk to Teira, go to Amiel's house, and then go to Emantha's magic shop. Go ahead and buy any shards you haven't picked up.

With sufficient power to make it not tedious we can now kill the optional fights in the cracks inside the earth and ice dungeons. Start with the one in the cave of earth, then equip the bracelet and do the crack in the ice cave for a crown. The one on the beach can be done as well for a nice ring but is still a bit tedious. If you want to do it equip the ring you got earlier (if you keep dying buy the shield and helm from the shop). Afterwards equip whatever new items you got from the cracks and head onwards to the castle. Don't forget to restock on potions.

Once inside the castle you can't leave. If you got the ring of unity earlier it's better than the fairy ring so don't forget to re-equip that and then throw that fairy ring in the garbage.

If you talked to the guy at the mansion you have a quest to kill goblins, but screw that guy and ignore these just like every other enemy so far.

On the first floor grab the key in the northwest room and head upstairs. There is a key to the right from where you exit the stairs and a room blocked off by magic on the left side. Grab the key and Emantha will fix that second problem for you. Head up to the third floor. There is an exit on the southwest side. Go there and while outside go up the stairs and grab the chests on the left and right for another key and the holy armor. Equip that armor to reduce damage for the rest of the game. Go back inside through the other door. There's a red crystal ripe for the smashing and another key to the north of the room your inside. Head to the northwest side for a miniboss fight. Slash her and then go smash the blue crystal. Head all the way back to the first floor and smash that green crystal before going all the way back up for the FINAL BOSS!!!!

Kill him and his second form (of course he had one).

*GASP!* Things happen but the player is in control and knows what to do. That is of course to ignore the hell out of Slimey. This is the point where I behoove you to avoid spending any and all money unless I tell you otherwise. Also it's now ok to kill annoying monsters as your sheer force of will prevents them from respawning.

If you already forgot what to do go ahead and jump to the top of the guide and follow it until I tell you to head into the cave of earth. Past me should have known better than to let myself get pushed around by a slime. Avoid enemies as you head north and look for a shrine like the one near the start of the game. Ignore Atreyan's protests and keep inspecting it until you gain the Power of Boredom! Grab the chests in the area but ignore the optional boss for now. We'll come back later I promise.

Go ahead and do everything in the cave of earth now and then head back to town. Talk to everyone here, but most importantly: Amiel, Teira, Emantha, the guy who gives the goblin quest in the mansion to the north, the admiral upstairs who wants the cheese you should have yet again, and the wishing well.

Head back to where you started the game and inspect the shrine there. We now have the ability to make the world less boring. You have the option here to wake any of the three girls who actually mean something, but I'm going to assume you picked Emantha for this guide. I at least recommend against choosing Teira for now. As we already did her dungeon and gain nothing from learning the Hammer fist for this cycle.

Talk to Emantha about the candle and then loot her shop for the stat boosts and the candle for free. Now we're going to go around the world and collect gold. If we grab every available chest and haven't spent any we should have 1015 gold. Make sure to grab the ones hiding behind trees and bushes in the area north of town and on the beach and remember that we can grab all the chests in the ice dungeon as well (DO NOT GRAB THE LANTERN FROM THE ICE DUNGEON OR THE HORN FROM THE FIRE DUNGEON! We'll come back for these items shortly).

After getting the money go buy that overpriced fire protection necklace from the shop. Head north of town and use it on the fire barrier there. In this new area there's an optional boss which we'll ignore once more, a chest to replenish some of our gold stores, and another shrine. Time to go wake Amiel.

With Amiel at our side we can start going further into the catacomb where we got our most recent shrine. Inside we get a robe of shadow for Emantha, some gold, a couple of shadow potions and a dagger for Teira who isn't here. Also visit the sparkle which gives you a key.

Go ahead and exit then fight the succubus boss just outside. With three characters you shouldn't have trouble taking her down, but if you do go buy the sharp sword from the shop now as well as the fire armor. The staff you get is for Amiel. Afterwards go talk to the fairy for some sexy times and the horn. We could skip the dungeon but we're going in anyways for the meat and to kill us a dragon. Equip the fire armor on Atreyan and the fire necklace on Emantha and go to town on that dragon. If Amiel dies just let her lie and finish the dragon she probably likes the burns anyways. If you still can't win go and buy the ice sword.

Head back to town for the heavy armor and grab any potions if you need them. Use Emantha's curse and annihilate to damage the boss just south of the fire dungeon while Atreyan revives if necessary and Amiel heals. Most attacks will do 0 to this boss. The wand you receive is for Emantha. Back in town you can now access the locked shed to the right of the inn. Inside you'll find 2 chests, the left one can be opened now for an anniversary ribbon for Amiel.

It's now time to finish off the Ice dungeon. Head down there and grab the Magic lantern and then get caught in the trap. Beat the boss senseless and then have more sexy times. We're almost done with this cycle. Stop by Amiel's house to say hi to Viliana for me. You can end it now by going to the castle or go do the remaining optional bosses. I'm going to put their fight guides here.

The first is the Golem on the path to the first shrine you encountered. He takes a lot of damage from Dispel Shadow and not much else. Use Amiel to heal and Emantha can do some small damage with curse, but mostly Atreyan will be doing the work here. He drops the Stone Shield but I prefer the Wishing Shield we got earlier from the wishing well. Use what you like though.

Continue along the path and grab the chest from the area with the first shrine for another hp buff for Atreyan. Assuming you handed in the grapes from the ice temple again he should now have 200 hp. The final optional boss is in the north east section of this area.

This one uses touch of death, an attack that will likely kill Amiel and Emantha in one hit each time. Have Atreyan focus on slash and reviving while the gals blast it with magic. Whoever has the wind bracelet should be faster than the boss so if Atreyan starts to get low make sure that one is using a potion on him.

Head to the end of the cycle now. Inside the castle Atreyan will remember that he doesn't care about keys anymore and you can just smash all the crystals on your way to the throne room. I still suggest grabbing the holy armor from outside in the garden though. Smash the boss (twice) and then its time to start over again. Dispel Shadow works fantastically for this.

Follow the railroading but this time the first thing we're doing is going to Teira's home and waking her up. Equip her with the dagger we found and then ask her about Techniques to learn Hammer Fist. No more need for the hammer means we get to save that bomb for where we really want it. Go talk to the goblin guy and raid Emantha's shop. She doesn't mind even if you haven't woken her up yet, but go ahead and do so anyways. On your way out of town grab the bomb and head to the shed for a Ragged Scarf from the other chest in there. Head south and use the bomb on the pile of rocks on the south east edge.

In this zone we immediately see the final shrine. Collect the energy and go awaken Amiel again. With the whole crew here go grab the horn from the fairy, you'll get "enchanted" boots from this automatically equipped to Atreyan, I suggest removing them and re-equipping Amiel's ring. Then go grab the enchanted lantern again from the ice cave.

With both candle and lantern in hand go to the magic shop and ask Emantha about item fusion. You'll get an upgraded lantern than can melt any ice. The most immediate use is an essence of sword replacement for the one we can no longer get in the cave of earth that's in the area where the third shrine is. While there go ahead and defeat the optional sparkle boss running around too. As far as I can tell nothing other than Atreyan's Dispel Shadow, Teira's swift strike, and Emantha's curse spell will hit these things. Stick to those and use Amiel for healing. The glimmer of memory items you get would probably be pretty useful but this is our last cycle anyways.

Head back to town to buy everyone's favorite weapon, the Sharp Sword, again (and the heavy armor if you want). Talk to the three girls in their respective homes and ask about "relationship" with each of them for some naughty times. Teira might not work here, not sure why but she seems to require a whole cycle before she's ready unlike the other girls which are ready within the same cycle. You can either redo this cycle (doesn't take that long) or just finish the game and use the scene viewer. Then use the shed to get to the catacomb. Go touch that flame for some more kick ass equipment.

Use your upgraded fire to melt the ice here and then continue to learn to break even stronger rocks with Teira's help. Grab the Essence of Shield and head to the multicolored crystal. Inside the palace head straight upstairs and then outside. Note the "new" door. Inside is our final boss. Most skills work fine on this boss but Amiel will likely be healing for most of it. For Teira use Wild strikes and guard in between to replenish 10 tp. Emantha can use earth strike for good damage and Annihilation for better damage when available. Use Atreyan for Reviving when necessary, otherwise just Dispel Shadow.

Enjoy the ending

Last edited:

Combustion Man

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I played it to the end, while it gets better after the first cycle, i mostly hated it, well the word is certainly too strong but still, if i get it, it makes fun of repetitive RPG games by having a highly repetitive gameplay, a poor storyline and poor script, well, for the first two hours at least (which is half of the game), then, it get slightly better but just slightly, not enough to forget the first half of the game, maybe if it started with the second part to go to a far better new second part, it'd be good, some ingredients are there.

So, what do we have, a not so good RPG game which is supposed to be a H RPG game without any h scenes (well, 6 texted ones)

I know it's a side project, certainly something to try MV, for that purpose, i guess it's a success, it's just not made to be played.

digiholic

Reputation score

So, where can I find the last optional boss? I've been wandering around after I beat the game but I can't seem to find it.

The Memory Trio, I believe it is called?

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So, where can I find the last optional boss? I've been wandering around after I beat the game but I can't seem to find it.

The Memory Trio, I believe it is called?
If memory serves right...
it was the fast evading luminous light object that can be found in the area behind the debris barricade in the beach, the one that need bomb to clear, it is also the area where the "advanced" snow barrier -which need item fusion of Magic Lantern and Magic Light to melt- is.

OP
Sierra Lee

Sierra Lee

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that the expanded version of Ouroboros is finally available commercially:

The new version of Ouroboros features the following:
- Hentai art for all scenes!
- In addition to the original six scenes, there are six brand new scenes, plus some new variants.
- Three new post-awakening dungeons.
- Special cycles: let Amiel, Teira, and Emantha take over for one cycle and fulfill their fantasies.
- Lots of new conversations and interactions between the characters.
- Key to increase battle speed 300%.

Hope you all enjoy it! ^-^

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that the expanded version of Ouroboros is finally available commercially:

The new version of Ouroboros features the following:
- Hentai art for all scenes!
- In addition to the original six scenes, there are six brand new scenes, plus some new variants.
- Three new post-awakening dungeons.
- Special cycles: let Amiel, Teira, and Emantha take over for one cycle and fulfill their fantasies.
- Lots of new conversations and interactions between the characters.
- Key to increase battle speed 300%.

Hope you all enjoy it! ^-^
And i though this game already near perfection before. ಥ◡ಥ

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

after all that cash flow, will you change your name to $ierra Lee ? :D
(yeah, that was pretty bad, i'm sorry.)

on a serious note:
is there some kind of goal you're trying to hit in terms of sales ?
or some kind of rough numbers you're expecting ?
(and are you going to make the estimates / goals or actual sales numbers public ?)

Deathwings

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I've got a bug with the 2.0 version. I can't buy the pick-axe from the soldier in the tavern. When I click yes it just restart the dialogue from the beginning.

OP
Sierra Lee

Sierra Lee

Cthulhu
Reputation score

is there some kind of goal you're trying to hit in terms of sales ?
or some kind of rough numbers you're expecting ?
(and are you going to make the estimates / goals or actual sales numbers public ?)
I honestly don't know what to expect, that's part of why I'm so interested to see the results. The field of NSFW games seems to be advancing rapidly, but we'll see how much it has grown. Or at least, I'll gather a few data points about that growth. My only real goal is to make back the money I put into the game, beyond that I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

Nondisclosure agreements prevent me from sharing any exact numbers, but I do want to post something about my conclusions, once I reach some. There are so many white papers and thoughtful blog posts on indie games in general, I wish we had more things like that for NSFW games.

I've got a bug with the 2.0 version. I can't buy the pick-axe from the soldier in the tavern. When I click yes it just restart the dialogue from the beginning.
Hmm, can't duplicate this one. Two questions:
1) How far are you in the game?
2) Is any dialogue given after you click "yes" or does the conversation repeat immediately?

salking

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

If you do update the game (bug fixes and such), will the ones that buy it on nutaku (I did :)) be able to get the updated version.

Probably redundant question but wanted to make sure.

OP
Sierra Lee

Sierra Lee

Cthulhu
Reputation score

If you do update the game (bug fixes and such), will the ones that buy it on nutaku (I did :)) be able to get the updated version.

Probably redundant question but wanted to make sure.
I think once you've purchased a game on Nutaku, you can click on the "Download" button at any time. I believe (but haven't tested) that if I upload a new version via the dev console, redownloading should get you that new version. Having said that, this one shows every sign of being stable so far, any bugs would be extremely minor.

And thanks, I appreciate the support! ^-^

Deathwings

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Hmm, can't duplicate this one. Two questions:
1) How far are you in the game?
2) Is any dialogue given after you click "yes" or does the conversation repeat immediately?
1) I went first thing first the moment I was done gathering 50 gold after blowing up the boulder/landslide that block the way from the first dungeon in the first loop.
2) It repeat immediately. With some more experimentation I also realized I could move around while the dialogue window was open. I tried confirming after taking a step away from the NPC but it just close the dialogue without adding the pick-ax to my inventory.

std112233

Reputation score

Sierra, you are brilliant my friend. Went into this game thinking "happy go lucky rpg from sierra? after what I saw in Last Sovreign? Maybe hes trying to relax?" but I was blown away with the game design - hentai or not.

You essentially took a small concept of 1 town, 3 dungeons + 1 final dungeon ala zelda/dragonquest and made it worth while with the 4th wall breaking.

I look forward to seeing more :)

OP
Sierra Lee

Sierra Lee

Cthulhu
Reputation score

1) I went first thing first the moment I was done gathering 50 gold after blowing up the boulder/landslide that block the way from the first dungeon in the first loop.
2) It repeat immediately. With some more experimentation I also realized I could move around while the dialogue window was open. I tried confirming after taking a step away from the NPC but it just close the dialogue without adding the pick-ax to my inventory.
Huh, you shouldn't ever be able to move while the dialogue window is open at all. If anyone else can duplicate this or provide some insight, I'd welcome it!

Sierra, you are brilliant my friend. Went into this game thinking "happy go lucky rpg from sierra? after what I saw in Last Sovreign? Maybe hes trying to relax?" but I was blown away with the game design - hentai or not.

You essentially took a small concept of 1 town, 3 dungeons + 1 final dungeon ala zelda/dragonquest and made it worth while with the 4th wall breaking.

I look forward to seeing more :)
Thank you! That's definitely what I was going for, so it's nice to see people appreciate an odd little game like this one. ^-^