What's new

RPG Unknown/Hiatus Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

It's always a "valid concern" every few pages on these games then the mods delete it because it's always the same thing.
What we really shouldn't be doing again is posts like yours. Not only are they a waste of time and effort for everyone involved, you're basically just telling people to stop bothering with something they care about. No. Fuck off.

While we can do without repeating the same old tired arguments about Patreon and it's systems, users and abusers in a general sense, if people are upset at the way things are going for this particular project and want to see change then they damn well better let themselves be heard, because if all is quiet then all is good, and it evidently is not.

chilerun

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Where even IS the game at at this point? Are there even new h-attacks?

stoper

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Have you... dunno... played any fucking demo past 2 years or just playing dumb?
Chill the fuck up. He's obviously asking about new content, different from the available demo.

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

What we really shouldn't be doing again is posts like yours. Not only are they a waste of time and effort for everyone involved, you're basically just telling people to stop bothering with something they care about. No. Fuck off.

While we can do without repeating the same old tired arguments about Patreon and it's systems, users and abusers in a general sense, if people are upset at the way things are going for this particular project and want to see change then they damn well better let themselves be heard, because if all is quiet then all is good, and it evidently is not.
The people who have reason to complain are the patrons, themselves, and they have a much better platform to do it on.

fedefyr2

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

The people who have reason to complain are the patrons, themselves, and they have a much better platform to do it on.
Well thats true, but also...doesnt that seem kinda wrong? "You want to complain about this product/have a concern? Pay me!"

EcchiExpress

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I'm pretty sure most people who are complaining here are patrons or the very least former patrons like myself

velvet.velour

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I'm pretty sure most people who are complaining here are patrons or the very least former patrons like myself
Yeah, former patron here too. Sunk $50 into the project right around the time they made the switch to monthly updates, so I supported them for five months or so.

I think it's just disheartening and frustrating. People are complaining here because it's visible - nobody can read anything on the comment threads hidden behind the Patreon paywalls. And honestly, about all that was hidden behind the paywalls was "We're working on it!" and "We changed this intangible thing that you won't notice" month after month.

Nobody talking negatively in this thread wants the game to fail or has any sort of ill will towards the devs, I don't think. We all want(ed) to see the game turn into something awesome. But the last public demo was released in February 2016 - almost a year and a half ago - and public updates have been more or less nonexistent since October 2016. It's becoming pretty obvious where this game is going.

Rather than add more fuel to the fire, I'd just like to say to Eromancer and AltairPL and anyone else from the dev team who's reading: reach out to the non-paying community. Everyone feels uneasy about this project because it's been stagnating. People who have been patrons can see the lack of progress in real time, while people who aren't patrons basically saw the developers disappear around October. That kind of attitude isn't going to bring new patrons into the fold and it isn't going to keep current patrons donating.

YllariusCroceus

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

There's been a patreon post:

Hey everyone!
Quite a bit to talk about this month! I have two major announcements this update that I'm excited to share with you, as well as new artwork from v0.06 and updates from TK and AltairPL.

Story Progress

The first major announcement is that as of May 27 the main story for the game is finished! Now that it’s done I’m focusing all my effort on v0.06, as will TK once I pull him back onto helping with the map design.

The story was obviously a much greater task than I ever anticipated, and I have a newfound respect for quality writers that work on games; especially since it’s something that often gets severely overlooked. In all I wrote what I can only guess to be well over 200 pages in the last few months. The story document now sits at a lean 90 pages with an additional 50 pages of notes and a main plot consisting of 5 chapters and 26 subchapters (it’s grown some since I presented it in April).

Keep in mind this is the main story, so at some point additional work will need to go into finishing side stories. Also, while I have a solid 25 pages of story-critical dialog written, there's still a lot left to do in that department, but it should be ongoing and not hold up the pipeline like this has.

New Artist Starting in September!

The second major announcement is that we will have a new artist joining us in September, so please give an early welcome to Ubercharge!

Ubercharge has a strong background in CG for movies, and out of all of us he has the most professional experience in 3D. TK and I are already learning quite a bit while the three of us bounce ideas off of each other. His resume is pretty impressive, and includes work on Wonder Woman as well as two Ridley Scott projects including the new Blade Runner movie 😃 (the latter being why he’s joining us in September).

While I’m sure his background will help us improve workflow in some areas, his modeling experience will mean his key task will be custom asset production.

V0.06 Progress

Having wrapped up the story just five days ago, we still don’t have a solid release date for V0.06. Now that the story is done however we can take the details and finalize a map layout for the Void, the section of New Babylon that you'll visit in V0.06. This area will act as sort of a hub for a lot of the gameplay during the first half of the game, which is why the design of it has required so much fore-planning. Once we're past that we can really start burning the rest of the work down. My main goal for the last few days of May however was to get back into the swing of things with some new artwork for V0.06!

The image above is a sample of what I’ve been up to these last few days. You can find the full uncropped 4K version here! Hopefully it’s obvious that the lighting improvements I set out to accomplish back in April have paid off here. I’ve uploaded a comparison (using the cropped version) showing what this scene would have looked like with the pre-April lighting and processing setup. Something new I’ve had to figure out over the last few days to accomplish the above are volumetric effects, which in my opinion work well with the art style.

AltairPL’s Update on the New URGE Engine

Not going to lie, May was a tough month for me. Problems with the engine's font handling mentioned in last monthly update were just a start. Perhaps it is because I decided to do something I wanted to do for quite some time that commonly sends people into a tailspin. Suffice to say, after 20 years of active addiction, I'm nicotine-free for around 30 days, which makes me very happy and proud. Why am I telling you this? Because it is the reason why my progress was unusually small.

My work this month was a continuation of working on font handling/rendering.

I spent probably an inordinate amount of time attempting to fix an issue involving italic fonts, and while I wasn't able to fix it my numerous attempts resulted in a lot of notes that will be helpful when I get back to it at a later time. In the worst case, I have one or two possible workarounds lined up, but I don't want to waste any more time on this for the time being. All things considered, this issue is relatively minor which makes my obsession over it so freaking strange and unlike me.

As I've also said in the last update, I've seriously underestimated how much work implementing font handling really is. When I finally gave up trying to fix the italic issue, I had to replace temporarily hard-coded stuff used to test font rendering with fully functional and proper font handling. On top of learning a lot more about the C programming language, it required a lot of reorganizing and intricate planning, but it came out great if I can say so myself.

Unfortunately, when testing font rendering in game proper I stumbled upon huge performance issues and figuring it out took me some time. It turns out that the URGE implementation of one of the RPG Maker features is really slow and it negatively affected creating/updating custom text caching, which had to be slightly modified to fix the problem. The good news is that not only does the new version fix huge slowdowns in URGE, but it's also working a bit faster in RPG Maker as well. Text drawing is still faster in RPG Maker, but I think I did all I could without modifying/rewriting the 3rd party proxy font handling library -- and rewriting it will be... somewhere along the line.

To recap font stuff: everything we need is already implemented and working as expected, and a lot of things which may be needed later are noted and marked down.

I'm still finishing and cleaning up font-related code, but I'm still unsure what will come next. I would like to implement audio handling next, but after the font problems and reading audio library documentation a bit, it may get ugly and take a lot more time than I can spend on it now. Since Eromancer finished the story and is now focusing on 0.06 content, I probably have to get back to my 0.06 stuff as well.

Regarding Pledges

Eromancer here again! Let me preface the following with the note that this does not apply to the vast majority of our patrons. We’re extremely grateful for your continued patronage and faith in us to bring this project to fruition, and we’re progressing well because of it. I’m also grateful for criticism, as there are plenty of examples where I’ve adapted stances based on it. Now, for an ugly bit.

I get that a fair number of crowdfunded projects fail and a lot of people feel that they’ve been burned by them. Unfortunately, my choices to focus on the long-term quality of the project, and thus our resultant inability to produce a meaningful release these past months, has created a climate where a few people are under the impression they’re being “scammed”. I feel the need to explain to these people that there’s no gun to your head preventing you from pledging only when a new release is made. As I’ve said previously I’ll publicly announce major releases ahead of time, meaning if the releases are all you’re interested in you can get them at your leisure.

While disappointment is completely understandable, let me be clear that I won’t tolerate someone who attempts to poison the well by making false public claims that disparage the project. It’s important to remember the success of the project doesn’t rely solely on money, and whereas a select few may think their pledges give them the right to be an asshole, I’ll tactfully remind them that they don’t.

TK’s Environment Artwork Update

I <3 Substance Designer & Painter! Now that I've settled nice and comfy with Designer, it's definitely my go-to for textures and processing images now. I'm still growing a number of materials and techniques using it, and it just blows Photoshop out of the water for doing texture work. Some of you may be aware that 3d artists generally use several texture maps per asset. When we build up a look, anything we add, remove or change needs to be reflected across many layers for each map, and if the model ever changes significantly we need to adjust those changes as well, or just restart the whole process. With Substance, the setup for a look might a little longer, but a properly created set can totally automate a vast majority of the process, one can even skip a repair process entirely by feeding in new model data. And so many more bonuses that come along with working in a node tree instead of a linear set of layers.

So, previously I showed off an idea I was working on; a "paint by numbers" scheme for floor layouts. Initially it seemed promising, but I lack the programming knowledge to make such a system actually useful. I've found a much better solution that mixes hand placed models, semi-automated texture generation and a couple other goodies using Substance for some types of layouts.

Normally in 3d games, the ground only has a couple of blended textures, and obvious tiling is broken up by having scattered props, grass, roads and the like so you don't see it all at once. City streets are always a bit tricky since we can't rely on that always, and our camera's view almost makes the ground you walk on more important than walls. Since the bar has been raised since Eromancer’s first sprite-based maps, I felt it's worth it to set up a big "patch bay" that gives me a lot of freedom over standard tiled textures. It's not finished for a proper showing in this update, despite the time I've put into the chemistry here. We'll be visiting lots of city scenes, which means a lot of concrete and asphalt.

What I have here is the framework for mixing a series of substance materials in a "smart" way that gives a lot of control, again, very much a work-in-progress. The columns on the left are the starting materials and variations. Along the top are various detail layers that I can paint and place where I please. This all mixes down the center row down to a final texture set that I can load back in to Maya. Along the bottom, I have a section where I'll pull in mesh data from Maya, namely the ground and markings for certain props. Something like a light post or some hastily slammed down industrial barricade would impact the pavement, which is where the automagic stuff happens. In some ways, this is a like what ID Software had been doing with their Megatexture concept. Here’s an example GIF showing some possibilities from this example in action!

It might seem overly simple or overly complicated depending on how you look at it. A huge part of this style of blending is done by painting masks and mixing those with the height maps as they are built up and knocked down through the graph here. In this way, I not only get a nice surface relief in the renders, but a much more natural blend between the materials without needing to meticulously trace out the blending with a paintbrush. And now that I have the framework down (mostly), all I need to do is swap out the materials and I can use it for flooring of any kind, which will be a huge timesaver in making more maps. I'd love to show the textures it produces, but it wasn't finished enough for this update.

In a similar vein, I bought a nice processing node called "ST Panel and Vent Maker", which just might replace a lot of modeling I'll be doing for some of the games later more high tech areas. Initial sciencing went mostly well with it, I should be able to feed simple shapes into it, and get nice beveled ones out of it. Much, much faster than poly modeling if this pans out, since I get displacement and textures in a snap. Here are a couple pictures of that for now.

In addition to the above, earlier this month I revisited some city assets and laid down a look for the nastier parts of town. Lots of trash, lots of ramshackle buildings and piecemeal networks. First I needed a good way to lay out many, many wires and cables to connect everything. I started with some prefab power poles as a test run. It took a while but I found a pretty decent method by creating instances of little planes, randomized around the center to act as checkpoints for curves to flow through. This works really quick with a nice script I picked up years ago for finishing the wires. I can lay out hundreds of guided/random lines with ease, but I found that getting a nice artistic chaos a tough balance. Naturally I'm trying to minimize time making each wire look passable, starting with scribbles is easier than a blank page, no? It's the perfect sort of repetitive "fun" that's easy to zone out on and doodle out some neat looking effects.

I know, while not very exciting (or playable!), this sort of development is huge for us in the long run. Anyways, expect to see some of this stuff in v0.06, which we are getting back onto now!

I think Altair said it best, you don't HAVE to support the project unless you want too, and then you can pay for updates that month and cancel your pledge again.

personally I think people, ULMF in particular, is far too hard on developers. This shit is HARD, especially on the quality they're looking to output. I applaud them for not giving into the masses and rushing shitty content.

If you don't like the rate, or don't like the project, don't support it. Come back in a couple months, and if there's an update, throw some dollars at them and check it out, or wait until it's complete.

Don't give them money in expectation of rewards, give them money because you want to encourage them. Think of it like a charity, not a service.

At least, that's my two cents. I never pledge to a patreon money that I expect anything out of.

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Hey guys!

I'll be brief here just because I want to dispel the worry but at the same time I want to hold the details until I make a major post as mentioned on the blog.

Firstly, since we went monthly, we now have enough funding to work without spending an inordinate amount of time pushing the game. We fully expect our support to fluctuate in between releases. This current cycle is an anomaly, but I'll get to that below. As I've said I'll always publicly announce when a major release is coming out, so if you want to jump back in for one you can, and I encourage you to :D. I do want to point out however that using the current $$$ value on the Patreon page as a measure of the project's overall success is misleading, and is probably why Patreon allowed for creators to hide the figure. We're doing well enough that we are even adding a new artist once he's off the new Blade Runner movie in September.

Like I said on the blog, there are a lot of big and good things coming, but they take time. The lack of a substantial release these past months wasn't intentional going in. It's easy for people to interpret shortcomings as nefarious, but it's simply a matter of us wanting to take the project to the next level. The lack of a release is unfortunate and is apparently interpreted as "a lack of progress", but it's due to me making a lot of choices that lean toward digging in for the long haul as opposed to getting content out now. These choices will absolutely cut down on the overall length of the project, and make our work much smoother in the interim. One of these things is a completely new engine so that we can get away from RPG Maker, which simply isn't going to be able to handle what we want to do with this game. That's not an exaggeration: it simply can't run a game over 2GB in size without heavy modification.

I do think people are strongly overlooking all of the things going on in the back end here. I just finished the main story for the game, the writing for which was literally the length of a novel. It was a pretty crucial step in aiding design of new content so as to prevent having to redo things 20 times later -- especially since the game has nonlinear elements. While I'd love to show it off, I think it'd be doing a disservice to the people that want to experience it as we add content, and it'd also result in a flood of community input that would probably do more damage than good. I do share additional details however with the Inner Circle crowd to get a small pool of input, and so far it's working well.

Last edited:

blaster

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

All I want to hear from any dev are most likely 'still alive and working on it, thx!'. That's what I actually want.
It's also fine by me just to buy a product right out when it on sell without even know there're actually a dev page of this game even exist ;)

Be it patronage way or individual dev, is all fine if I hear they are not yet given up or abandon their project.

There're a lots of game out their, taking about 3~10 years to finish, any genre not just indy RPG or R-18 game but any AAA platform as well. Some are tremendously disappoint, some are finished too late for current resource, engine, technologies and time, some are broken as hell, full of bug and false promise --- etc etc.

But for something when you know its going to be good - and you can even keep in touch with dev themselves(one way or another) its mean that all your feedback and actually reach them, not just aired topic where one of dev just come out and say 'We heard you feedback' and if that actually true or just fake respond we would never know.

I been feed on R-18 game very long year since Demon girl by LineMarvel still freshly hot topic, even news about mystic girl is a hot news - along with that many dev, many game that giving a good promise is gone without a trace to be track. Give up, abandoned, Scraped, Busted to pick a legal job and many more reason that good R-18 game never come up.

Now there's something we can looking for and a dev has a good spirit with responsible to them - It's good to look forward them till the end. Will they give up ? How long will they can keep it ? Will they finish them ? It's all answered my question with just a simple 'We're still alive and working on it!'

Fast or slow speed, big or small progress never come up in my mind - since I already "Pre-buyed" some of dev product on patreon, all I do is wait patiently. What I'll know is, if some dev going to give up or scrap project I'm just gonna wait for their announce and would just call for refund is possible, But what if it not possible ? I'm just donated someone with a good will and good fight they been through, that's kinda alright for me actually.

I'm also not a novel lover person too. most VN are too boring for me and can easily find CG set else where, but what if it too exclusive and cannot find ? then fuk it, I got more plenty of the same thing all over the place ... well I got no fanboy behavior to any one tho, that's the thing. While VN does shown its obvious purpose, to be a novel with a virtualization of graphic along with it story content, the most you can do is pick a choice that will likely to effected your VN or not effected anyting at all. But I'm more into an actual 'game' where you can really do shit and play shit, that way are more active and enjoyable for me. That's why this game has so much promise to me.

What ? This is not an AAA platform game and you still need to keep waiting this long ? welp ... While Illusion circle have more lots of stuff, resource, tools and time the fastest they can product their game is still about 8 months to 1 year - You can't expect the same from a handful people who just working together to be that fast like those guy do, isn't it ?
It's much better then some game that keep ransom for its release anyway and its even multiply its quantity so fast to the point we would never actually know will one of them even going to finish until today :p

To dev
Keep it up gangs! An actually good 'Game' were never came out fast like a fart, it took a lot of effort and time to do so, not to mention its all a creative work - a big burden to your brain. Without good management and somehow even a good luck, none would survive a work in creative world.

Granineous

Reputation score

Upped my pledge because I saw a new inner circle update out and I wanted to grab a copy of the soundtrack, here's a tl:dr; of the inner circle updates for those who want an idea of what's happening behind the scenes (copy+pasted from my post on F95):

May 10: Introduction screen that sets the scene created (tl:dr; corporations took over, outlawed religion, pushed science as far as possible, discovered superpowers/"psionics" and are in the process of making first contact with beings outside our dimension). Eromancer's (lead designer) story writing up to 25 subchapters so far with more not fully explored. TK (Art/animation guy?) has an artwork overhaul in progress. Considering Character portrait animation implementation, keen, but working out whether or not it's technologically viable (lag and RAM usage and such). Bunch of character model work under the hood going on I don't quite grasp. Eromancer replaces his mouse he used for painting with a Surface Pro (Holy shit he did so much by hand what a god/idiot). Learning after effects to implement liquids.

May 20: Story (and chunks of dialogue too) almost completely finished. Eromancer apparently knows some experienced writing/film/game professionals who are going to give feedback on his work to improve the end product. Plot of v0.06 revealed in detail. Decided to redo main character models to allow for previously mentioned Character portrait animation, which also works into the whole art overhaul thing and a bunch of other things that need cleaning for moving forward. Bunch of city/slums art assets made up too.

May 27: Story officially finished. Plot summary sent out to reviewers. Only refers to main story, not side-stuff. 25 pages of main story dialogue written too. Working on v0.06 map layout and doing art for the monthly update to have something people can actually see.

May 30: Single preview image from Ven (Purple hair girl boss) in the middle of a bio-humanoid orgy before colour/lighting released.

(General supporter tier) June 2: Ven orgy preview complete and in HD. Restating story progress for everyone not in the inner circle. AltairPL's (programmer) URGE engine (custom upgrade RPG maker engine) being steadily worked on, font stuff was a pain in the ass. Eromancer addresses the disquiet surrounding lack of visible public progress. TK writes like 6 paragraphs on the shit he is doing for textures alone with some complementary images/gifs to help explain. It's too much to stick in here. Also, big announcement copy+pasted because it covers everything:

"The second major announcement is that we will have a new artist joining us in September, so please give an early welcome to Ubercharge!

Ubercharge has a strong background in CG for movies, and out of all of us he has the most professional experience in 3D. TK and I are already learning quite a bit while the three of us bounce ideas off of each other. His resume is pretty impressive, and includes work on Wonder Woman as well as two Ridley Scott projects including the new Blade Runner movie (the latter being why he’s joining us in September)."

June 10: Comprehensive design document detailing story/map locations/art required for v0.06 released. "Syndicate" character design revealed ("cybernoir" is the adjective used). Altair discusses URGE, says font handling's finished, working on sound effects implementation (music already works).

tl:dr; of the tl:dr; - they're working on background stuff, have design documents/images/technobabble to back up what they're doing (they are actually working) but little gameplay, not much point pledging until an update comes unless you're interested in behind the scenes game design in action. Side-comment, each of these updates is like 7X the size of the tl:dr; not counting attachments and design documents, they're definitely putting effort into communicating, even if only through patreon rather than publically.

Esgaldin

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Again just stopped here to say that I love music in this game, and Ero or Alt if you still here, I suggest you to implant some skill/item/option to avoid random enemy encounter, sometimes this shit can be so annoying, nearest example - Persona 2 - I was so grateful in that time for "estoma" skill =P

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Again just stopped here to say that I love music in this game, and Ero or Alt if you still here, I suggest you to implant some skill/item/option to avoid random enemy encounter, sometimes this shit can be so annoying, nearest example - Persona 2 - I was so grateful in that time for "estoma" skill =P
Hey, we're still here. Thanks for the feedback. Haven't played any Persona game, so I have no idea how it was done there, but we already have something in mind for encounter rate and few other similar things. Don't want to jump the gun, though - Ero will make proper announcement when the time is right.

nanaya1234

Lurker
Reputation score

Not trying to be an asshole but has there been a release with new content yet? Honestly I liked what I saw back when I was a patron but id rather donate when there's actually something new.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

"Time" here being a perfect curve right now, apparently.
TBH, I have no idea what's that supposed to mean...

Not trying to be an asshole but has there been a release with new content yet? Honestly I liked what I saw back when I was a patron but id rather donate when there's actually something new.
No release yet. It will be announced here, probably with full change-log and other info, so you won't miss it.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

TBH, I have no idea what's that supposed to mean...
I'll wager a guess and say he is referring to a hyperbolic curve, which, as far as we can tell is accurate. Eromancer's last post promising more information on a coming blog post was nearly a month ago, the last actual blog post more than a month ago, so a statement along the lines of "sometime in the future" nearly a month after the last similar statement might just rub people the wrong way.

sanguis3k

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

yeah, not to beat a dead horse but aside from getting so little on the peasant tier and constant "we're totally working on it guys, just it's all this back end stuff that you won't actually see but trust us it's making things better in the long run" it's hard to actually keep faith that anything actually IS getting done. there's only so often you can hear the same line about when there's something to say there will be an announcement before you just stop believing that there ever will be anything announced and we will have a new challenger to breeding seasons top spot in the hall of shame. the only reason I haven't dropped my pledge since it has by my figuring that it has ticked over to $20 and I get my copy when it's done is because I actually have some income now so $3 a month is cheap enough for me to keep throwing at it instead of getting a coffee in the morning

I have to admit though by this point I really don't feel any excitement or have any faith that you guys are going to get this done anymore, and thats sadly becoming the standard of anyone making a patreon porn game project. and this isn't coming from ignorance of how development works.

ViperV for example has had about the same amount of updates as you guys in the same time but because of much better communication to his fan base at least on patreon if not the non paying fans he appears to have made much more progress and is doing a much better job at keeping his supporters happy with the state of his work

Last edited:

Hagya

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I have to admit though by this point I really don't feel any excitement or have any faith that you guys are going to get this done anymore, and thats sadly becoming the standard of anyone making a patreon porn game project. and this isn't coming from ignorance of how development works.
I strongly disagree. There are tons of good patreons making good content like mine. The problem is that once we make an update of our game, there are only a few replies so our topic go into the darkness of pages 5+.
However, topic patreons who don't do any update get upped all the times by people complaining of the lack of progress. Therefore all there are on the top page of ULMF are often the ones that don't do progress. That's also why it seems to you that no progress = the standard of patreon games. So if you're looking for good patreon, I suggest you to search elsewhere than ULMF. Your $3 is nothing to you, it's nothing for them, but there are very small patreons for who it's a lot ;)

BTW, I consider my game good not only because it's my game but also because I would have got a lot more patrons than them if I didn't decide to finish it :

Status
Not open for further replies.