What's new

Patreon SIM Abandoned [ HartistaPipebomb] Breeding Season

Haxor101

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Breeding Season

Ha ha! That was a good read :D

Haven't followed this project in the slightest, but from what I have been reading so far, it could very well be either of the two popular theories; that this S-Purple character has basically fucked over the team/supporters. Or that this is an elaborate ruse by the two of them, in order to bail, and push the backlash in another direction after that lead artist left.

I don't know, it all seems kinda fishy. For however long this project has been going on, it seems as if they've just been half assing it/dicking around, (whether that's due to laziness or inexperience is debatable) and raking in the cash. And then all of asuden it falls apart, and the lead guy acts as if this is game is his life.

Then again there's two pieces of info you have to take into consideration:
1. The Patreon page is closed (basically cutting off their income)
2. He's basically wants people to steal the game, so that they can give it for free

Could be part of the plan to divert the backlash, but it seems more than likely the team got fucked by this guy.

Verdict:

Gotta feel for the people who donated money into the project, but at the same time you gotta ask what they were thinking... :rolleyes:

P.S: Curious to see if the situation evolves any further :p

H.A.C.K.

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The main reason I was rooting for this project was because I one day found it on the LoK site in it´s very early days. I thought it was an interesting concept, but the art sucked so I didn´t really pay any more attention to it. Then one day suddenly it had gotten a huge upgrade in art and had a bigger story and lots of new characters.
It was interesting to see how far it had gone by the time I had already forgotten all about it.

It´s a shame how it all went to nothing in the end.
I feel bad for H-bomb, his other team members and the backers of this game.
This will probably also affect other, especially new, creators using patreon negatively. Seeing as people will probably be more doubtful after this event.

thswherizat

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

You know, I actually can't say I'm surprised that eventually it would just fall apart. Though I thought it would have more to do with a mass exodus of support causing HBomb to pull the plug, not apparently disagreements over the art assets. Regardless, considering how badly the game has been progressing for years, I don't have that much sympathy for any patrons who kept believing that the progress would somehow come next month, or the one after that.

It still sucks for them, I understand.

colasCageNi

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Entertaining but i guess this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Buffmuffin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think of it similarly to handing out cash to bums on the street. People see it like a karma bank. Donate some good-will here get back some goodwill elsewhere.

Logical fallacy at it's best.
If you've noticed there are a lot more H games than there used to be, it's because of the monetary incentive to make them.

Previously, only really hardcore people skilled in engines and graphics / manipulation made them, as a hobby.

ergo there were few.

The recent boom is because of monitization of the industry, providing an incentive for people to learn this skillsets for reasons other than a hobby.

The downside of this, is people who do this often aren't skilled at running businesses.

So you have the inevitable failures.

That said, just like any other free market enterprise, i would rather have MORE competing choices than fewer.

So i favor the monitization, and support 14 games and a comic creator at present

DerPeter

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Breeding Season is dead, long live Breeding Season!

Grab all the dev files while they're hot!

Shyao

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

All I have to say is that if all that HBomb said is true and S-Purple really killed the project, then good luck to S-Purple EVER getting a game off the ground. The world of game development is a lot smaller than you might think and it is an industry where screwing over projects and consumers can have fatal consequences. Or rather, fatal to your career. Don't believe me? Just look at the stories of Lord Kres, Phil Fish, and Denis Dyack, just to name a few. You'll find that they're not that successful anymore, ever since they bit the hands that fed them. People don't forget when you screw people over.

Hell, just ask Denis Dyack how Shadow of the Eternals worked out. X-Men Destiny buried that man in a hole so deep, he will NEVER recover.

DerPeter

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I am just puzzled by the incredible stupidity of Spurple. How in the world can he think that it would be a good idea to maliciously leech money first, purposely delay and ultimately kill off BS and then immediately start your own game which is basically the same.

Val'Jean

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Honestly it's shit like this that makes me glad I pirate everything people lock down through Patreon. That isn't me shitting on devs so much as I have no faith in projects being finished, deadlines being met, or what I "have to pay for to experience" being even remotely close to something I like.

Sure, I might be the bad guy for sticking to my logical viewpoint of not paying for unfinished shit, but honestly Breeding Season is a perfect example of why Patreon is a shitty paywall. If you're a dev and you use Patreon and then keep your game you'll be working on for years hiding behind it I will personally do everything in my power to torrent it if you aren't finished or offering a purchasing option. I'll support you, but I won't slowly feed you 500 dollars over 3~ years just so I can play some shitty alpha. Again, perfect example being Breeding Season. They were making a shit ton of money over the last 3 years, apparently this one artist getting 190k for his art and look where all that money went after he said "meh" and moved on.

tl;dr: I'd recommend most Patreon using devs to open their doors a bit more, the community isn't going to handle this lightly.

Edit: My first yay/nay/neutral is a neutral comment saying "I agree but hf getting dislikes from HentaiWriter." Yeah....

Edit 2: "Whatever BS you need to make up to justify your theft... whatever." I always love coming here admitting to piracy and then the few people come in complaining about how I'm scum or whatever despite the fact that half of ULMF is either "HEY HERE'S A COPY OF THIS 15 DOLLAR GAME" or "HEY HERE'S THIS HENTAI THAT GOT LEAKED THAT I NEVER PAID FOR AND NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO." At some point watching people fall off their high horse becomes the highlight of my day.

Last edited:

redx

Reputation score

Guess i'll be back here in..... 2-3 years.

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I don't see what the big deal about keeping an alpha/beta behind a paywall is. You're not entitled to have access to every game in development, just like you're not entitled to walk into a grocery store and take what you want. If you don't like unfinished games, then don't play them. Why is that a problem? Wait until they are finished, or wait until they fail and then play the remnants.

As for Breeding Season, yes, it is fucking terrible and the developers are some scamming pieces of shit. They basically took hundreds of thousands of dollars and failed to release a final product. People knew that risk going in, they chose to take it. That does not absolve the developers, who should be held accountable by no one ever supporting one of their projects again (please, don't let that Nimbus shit be successful)... but, DO NOT apply this ONE Patreon as an example of ALL Patreons. It's not, and it's incredibly unfair to those of us working or asses off. My one request is that you try to evaluate each Patreon fairly before you do all you can to pirate their work, don't just assume they are scammers like Breeding Season.

Thank you.

MurphyMurph

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Wow! the top Patreon crashed and burned?

Man, that doesn't show well for the rest of the hentai patreoners. Hope people don't lose faith because of Breeding Season.

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I've noticed that every "asset" looks like it's from something else.
The "Farmer" character doesn't grab me at all, not like the FBreeder from BS.
The three creatures he's drawn look very similar to their BS incarnations. The fact that he wouldn't sell his BS assets to HBomb not only shows willful criminal sabotage (read the definition) but also that's he's fucking lazy. He only kept them so he wouldn't have to come up with completely new designs.

The battle system kind of reminds me something else, too. Terrible battle sprite work notwithstanding, it looks very similar to Super Mario RPG.

Expanding on creature designs:
They look like they were hastily drawn in MSPaint, coloured by someone with talent and rescanned. The "Catgirl" looks VERY similar to a Tigirl, edited to be more streamlined and with a Catgirl face. He didn't even TRY with the Cow-thing and I assume that thing on the right is a Harpy. The battle sprites just look wrong with their incorrect proportions. I get that it's a style, but it just looks awful. And the demo creature ALSO resembles a Feral Male Demon.

To be honest, I'll be surprised if he doesn't lift things from Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon as well.

I'll watch it but never pay for it (like Erica). I'll only ever play leaked versions.

thswherizat

Reputation score

Guess i'll be back here in..... 2-3 years.
Jesus, the first "goal" is only reached at 9k. I guess coming off of a 30k project he's got inflated expectations...

sonata-s

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Wonder if this will light a fire under Akabur given it might shatter some of his patrons' naivety.

hawkboy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Dont support CloudMeadow
that guy rip 9000$ of last mount and now he wanna steal more
it is sad that it is over and dead
but dont help the evil guy who now made CloudMeadow

nightshad

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hope the artists look at a legal stand with this.

Isn't this what S is doing a forma of paid art thief?

Last edited:

rea_jak

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

lol

I'm feeling an equal measure of amusement and disappointment at this news. BS was a good idea which was unbelievably badly handled. A project started by an incompetent fool which later used art assets by a scummy douchebag.

RIP in pepperonis BS

Angmir

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I blame the Soicety.

People in general are idiots.

They dont promote hard-working dedicated creators, but instead get hyped by cons and marketing spin-doctors.

Global IQ is falling in rapid pace. Average IQ has fallen to arround 88 allready (from 94 in 1960s)

Idiocracy is upon us.