What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Dusty

Totaly not actualy a Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

What's with the nudity in Dante's Inferno? It honestly feels out of place to see bare nipples in an action video game.

Eh.. not that it's something to complain about personally -- it's probably a lot better then the fucking penis scene in GTA.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Um... only mages have the ability to heal other people.
. . . I guess that one's my fault for not being specific. I didn't mean EVERY last party member, I only meant all the mages you can get to join your party don't seem to like healing others, at least for me they don't.

You can only use potions on yourself. Also, are you sure your people aren't using potions on themselves and that's why you can't assign them manually?
Yes, I'm sure. Because they're all lying on the ground dead and I have 10 bagillion potions left over from their idiotic asses not using them. And yes, I am setting their tactics to use potions when they get to/below a certain amount of health.

Funny thing: I did an arcane warrior once, and I was able to wear stronger armor than my warriors.
I'm guessing it had a stat requirement that your Warriors didn't typically use, like INT or something.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

What's with the nudity in Dante's Inferno? It honestly feels out of place to see bare nipples in an action video game.

Eh.. not that it's something to complain about personally -- it's probably a lot better then the fucking penis scene in GTA.
If I recall correctly, in the original poem, all the punished souls in Hell were depicted as being completely naked, save for those monks who wore the lead robes I think.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

If I recall correctly, in the original poem, all the punished souls in Hell were depicted as being completely naked, save for those monks who wore the lead robes I think.
That would be logical, if Dante's Inferno was based on Dante's Inferno.
Seriously, what the fuck is with Beatrice's random boobshots? Or Dante SEWING HIS CROSS INTO HIS CHEST? or KILLING DEAD in the PROLOGUE? Or fucking Cleopatra (to be technical, Cleopatra the fifth or something like that. The one we all think of as Cleopatra) being the boss of the Third(?) Circle. Didn't pagans actually go to purgatory for all eternity, in the source material?
You may guess that I'm not overly fond of that game.

Also, should I buy the first Mass Effect on Steam? As references, I greatly enjoyed KOTOR, but that's the only BioWare game that I've played.

Lurker
Reputation score

I won Dante's Inferno in a game of wits, which is a good thing considering I'd never have payed for it. I'm still not altogether comfortable with the idea of it: Epic Poetry does not a game make. What's more, the 'Divine Edition' contains a digital copy of the poem it uses as source material. This does not entirely make sense to me, as the game doesn't seem to have all that much basis in the poem outside some loose inspiration and proper nouns.

The point being, I'll give this a shot before I start writing death threats and whatnot.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

As you all can tell by now, mildly obsessed with Dragon Age and I found another reason tonight. First though, to the prior discussions...I will say that I have had a few issues with healing in the game (Wynne sometimes will just ignore people. Or she won't chug Lyrium potions like I have her queued up to do.) Maybe it's a tactical preference? I remember in FF12, tactics that were higher up on the list took priority over ones that were lower down. Maybe try shifting them around to see if that helps?

Why is the obsession growing? I have never...never hesitated in anything when I've decided on a chosen path in a game. There's no question, I do what my character would do. So why was I staring at the choices of "I love him." "I love you." "No choice, then. Alistair." when my smexy blonde assassin called me on the fact that I was sleeping with the both of them? As my friend put it, and I agree, yes, letting Alistair fall in love with me and sleeping with him when I was *planning* on going after Zev in the first place was probably a dumb move on my part but I*loved* the way they developed the character, developed the relationship and why the hell do I feel bad about dumping the boy?! Nyygarrah!

*laughs* Sounds completely insane, doesn't it? Agonizing over a digital character? Still, I like to think it's one of the things that makes the game fantastic. These are characters that you can come to care about. They're not just tag-alongs to tank or heal (or not heal in poor Kusanagi's case...) I truly honestly felt *horrible* about telling Alistair I was in love with someone else. I loved listening to Wynne talk about growing up in the Circle. I was thrilled that I got Leliana to sing for me. Maybe I am just insane, but I love a game (or movie or book) that can make characters that I can empathize with and care about.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go give a poor templar a certain amulet to help make him feel better.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

. . . I guess that one's my fault for not being specific. I didn't mean EVERY last party member, I only meant all the mages you can get to join your party don't seem to like healing others, at least for me they don't.
Did you give all the mages healing spells? Also, I would suggest making wynn only have spells from the healing school.

Yes, I'm sure. Because they're all lying on the ground dead and I have 10 bagillion potions left over from their idiotic asses not using them. And yes, I am setting their tactics to use potions when they get to/below a certain amount of health.
So? They use 1 and then can't use another for half a minute or so. The potion won't even get them to full health either.

I'm guessing it had a stat requirement that your Warriors didn't typically use, like INT or something.
All armors require strength and nothing else. However, the first arcane warrior ability allows you to substitute your magic score for your strength score for determining what armor you can use.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Did you give all the mages healing spells?
Yes.

So? They use 1 and then can't use another for half a minute or so. The potion won't even get them to full health either.
I have them set to use it when they hit 50% HP or below. They use it when they're at 40%. They then decide they don't want to use any more for the rest of the battle, no matter what their health is at, unless I specifically take control and MAKE them use one.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Try moving the potion up in your list of commands. The game might prioritize and only use the potion when none of the conditions above it have been met.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Why are people unsure about the idea that the order of tactics matters?

Of course it matters. The game will move from the top down the list, and as requirements are met and abilities are usable, issue the commands. If you want a character to heal when someone is below 50%, have that set as the top tactic.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So yeah, I've played 5 out of 6 origin stories in Dragon Age Origins (at least partially), and I'd like to give you my thoughts of them.

Human Noble - Best storyline in the long run. It sets up your motivation beautifully and gives you the possibility to be either noble or a complete dick.

Dwarven Noble - Best possible storyline to play as a complete asshole. As a Dwarven Noble you can hate on the human church, you can hate on mages and you can generally despise everybody else.

Dwarven Commoner - This origin is the most logical for a rogue in the classical sense. It did motivate me to be at my best just to show everybody what a mere markling can do. Other than a more complex bossfight later in the game it doesn't add much to the game, though.

City Elf - Best Origin story in itself. It does give you the feeling to play as a kind of hero to your people (at least the male variant does, no idea on the female one). I would've liked to explore this more, but I wanted to focus on my "evil" character.

Dalish Elf - Ironically, even though the Dalish are supposed to be total badasses, this origin just seemed very trivial to me. The reason for joining the Grey Wardens is possibly the most forced out of them all. This is definitely the one that appealed the least to me.

I haven't played as a mage yet, because this class just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe once I've unlocked the Arcane Warrior I'll give it a whirl.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

City Elf - Best Origin story in itself. It does give you the feeling to play as a kind of hero to your people (at least the male variant does, no idea on the female one). I would've liked to explore this more, but I wanted to focus on my "evil" character.
The female one isn't very hard to imagine. It plays out very much the same as the male one, right up until the girls are all kidnapped. You're a girl.

Then your husband bursts into the room with a sword. The guards are all "Lol, an elf with a sword, what are you going to do?" and he throws it to you.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

*cough* Actually, it's your cousin/best friend that busts in and I thought that scene was brilliant, personally. "Oh, sod." Your husband gets killed by the guards while you're looking for the Arl's son and if you check his corpse, he's carrying the wedding ring he made and was going to give you. Finding that was something that's stuck with me during my playthrough. I had to keep my mouth shut when my friend goes "Does anything happy happen in this game?"

Also, back to Kus' problem. Same friend, who is playing the game on PC, when asked about the problem said "Is he manually ordering them to do things?" "He has to manually make them heal." "No, what I mean is...if I order Morrigan to attack someone, she'll ignore her tactics and keep beating on it until it's dead." That might be a factor as well.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Alright, I re-installed it, set up my tactics like usual (I always have the 'use health pot' option at #1), and I've made it up to when you get to camp after Lothering with it only locking up my pots for no reason once. My allies are still stupid, but are thankfully using the pots more often now.

@Copper: Yes. I am manually ordering them ALL the fucking time because they're so stupid. It makes me feel like I'm playing an RTS rather than an RPG. And yes, there is a difference. If I want to play an RTS and micromanage every single breath my units take, I'll play Starcraft or something.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Funny, I don't have much issue with them doing their own thing. Now, granted my tatical setup isn't the best, but I get along fairly well and would probably be doing better if I changed a few things around. I cope, though. The other thing, too, is I am playing this console, which controls slightly different than the PC. As I said, maybe it's the micromanagement that's screwing things up. Without really seeing the issue, though, it's hard for me to give tips on rectifying it.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

@Copper: Yes. I am manually ordering them ALL the fucking time because they're so stupid. It makes me feel like I'm playing an RTS rather than an RPG. And yes, there is a difference. If I want to play an RTS and micromanage every single breath my units take, I'll play Starcraft or something.
Then play on easy. Normal difficulty and above are designed to play like an rts.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

It's not that I don't like it, I just didn't expect an RTS was all.

ASDFGANYWAYS.

Anyone know of a good nude mod for Dragon Age? So far I've found , but it's still a little awkward because of how the creator went about it, and it's only a topless mod, not full body, which is what I'd like to find.

ALSO

mod for Fallout 3 is confusing me. Do I have to download and merge all the files into my data folder and THEN merge the files into a 'merged patch' using FO3Edit, or what? It looks like a cool mod, but it seems more complicated than the previous mods I've installed - all I had to do with them was merge the files into my data folder, bring up FOMM, activate them (sometimes I had to make sure the order was right), and I was on my way.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Dante's Inferno... I think of it not as being based on the poem, but rather its own thing. It's been fun as an action hack and slash, and the visuals and environments are what really pulled me in. I also enjoy the combat. The big thing I don't like are the dumb fucking puzzles. Like really dumb. But I've pushed past them.

As for the nudity, well it is hell. It makes sense. It fit, especially with the circle of lust. Also, I don't see nudity as a huge issue anyways. Sure naked men and women are nice to look at, but I think people need to get their knickers out of their knots about nudity.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Dante's Inferno... I think of it not as being based on the poem, but rather its own thing. It's been fun as an action hack and slash, and the visuals and environments are what really pulled me in. I also enjoy the combat. The big thing I don't like are the dumb fucking puzzles. Like really dumb. But I've pushed past them.

As for the nudity, well it is hell. It makes sense. It fit, especially with the circle of lust. Also, I don't see nudity as a huge issue anyways. Sure naked men and women are nice to look at, but I think people need to get their knickers out of their knots about nudity.
So I've heard the lust boss is pure, unfiltered, nightmare fuel