What's new

SIM [ gamecolon ] [ ゲームコロン] SoldGirl Town / ウラレタウン RE179387 RJ179387

PabloC

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: ウラレタウン - RJ179387

Yeah, the DLSite version isn't updated (yet). It happens quite often with this game - they will probably catch up with the next update.

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The fact that Japanese language hates the concept of spaces was an issue in our TL as well, but it was fixed somehow (don't ask, I'm not familiar with technical stuff ^^').
As for length, dialogues aren't really the main problem - the textbox usually leaves enough space for a sensible TL. Interface is a bit tougher, since there are places with very little room to work with (to the point where even a short word like "Reason" doesn't fit), but so far the only issue we couldn't solve was the money counter (screw the JP way of counting money, we're leaving that untranslated).
Haha!
Well im waiting for it, i held off on this game hoping for a full translation and it looks like you guys have it going well. Keep it up!

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I noticed the patch is 1.2.2

My latest game version is 1.2.1
Was there new update on the game that isn't on dlsite yet?
It is one of the very rare occasions here where you actually can download the (most recent) patches from the creator's homepage.
Bless their hearts.

SilverEcchi

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Translation progress is looking great. The only thing that bugs me is the random name generator, attempts to translate that gets some funny results. Personally I wouldn't mind if the names themselves weren't translated and instead were simply romanji if possible.

Dagoth

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Sorry, I have only been able to insert the texts.
I had to use a different tool to successfully get images in, the "Unity Assets Viewer" tool rather than the usual UABE tool, as covered in the "IMAGES_HOWTO.txt" file in the zip file I posted earlier. I'd link to it, but I can't post links here yet; the link is provided in that file.
The Unity Assets Viewer is a little more of a nuisance to use, and to import text files with it they need to be renamed to have a ".bytes" extension first, but it does work for importing images (if slightly artifacting them) where UABE doesn't.

As for the spaces being stripped out of dialog by the game, I handled that in the end-of-year-awards dialog by using one of the Unicode variants for spaces, the "ideographic space" (U+3000). It's a little wider than a normal space character, but it's the only one I found which worked correctly.

Last edited:

nnescio

Reputation score

Translation progress is looking great. The only thing that bugs me is the random name generator, attempts to translate that gets some funny results. Personally I wouldn't mind if the names themselves weren't translated and instead were simply romanji if possible.
Names should be transliterated and never translated, unless you want everyone to have Native American-sounding names.

e.g.

Kawai Sayoko ✓
Little Night Child of the River Confluence ✘

Last edited:

mooman1

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Some problems with the translated names. Not about funny names. Some names end up too long and the status/name box will block the character selection box.

Dagoth

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Rather than trying to run transliteration on their name list and getting potentially odd spellings of names and such, I figured it might make more sense to just find a list of Romaji (transliterated) Japanese female names.
For the sake of having them fit better, I also figured it might be worth limiting the length of both first name and surname to 6 letters each. This was after just testing the full name lists in-game with no limit to name length, and seeing the remaining overflow. You'll still get a tiny bit of overflow on some names with the length limit of 6 letters, but it seems fine to me.

I ended up with a list of 301 female first names and 419 surnames after removing any over 6 letters long. Seems like plenty to me.

For whatever reason the game seems to require 1000 of each, so I made duplicates to fill out the list. As a result, some names are slightly more likely to show up than others.

Attached are the two name lists which of course go in the resources.assets file as first_name_list and second_name_list.

Attachments

pkj

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Some problems with the translated names. Not about funny names. Some names end up too long and the status/name box will block the character selection box.
You're right.
On the left side there seems to be no problems, but to the right yes.
There is a situation in which you can not choose or remove a girl from the list.
Sorry for the problems.

I had to use a different tool to successfully get images in, the "Unity Assets Viewer" tool rather than the usual UABE tool, as covered in the "IMAGES_HOWTO.txt" file in the zip file I posted earlier. I'd link to it, but I can't post links here yet; the link is provided in that file.
The Unity Assets Viewer is a little more of a nuisance to use, and to import text files with it they need to be renamed to have a ".bytes" extension first, but it does work for importing images (if slightly artifacting them) where UABE doesn't.

As for the spaces being stripped out of dialog by the game, I handled that in the end-of-year-awards dialog by using one of the Unicode variants for spaces, the "ideographic space" (U+3000). It's a little wider than a normal space character, but it's the only one I found which worked correctly.
At last I learned how to insert the icons with UAV.

Since there is a serious problem with the names, I will use your contribution to fix it and also upload the file with the icons.

EDIT: Replaced the name files. They have errors and I also believe that up to 10 characters can be used per name.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chun~Li

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You're right.
On the left side there seems to be no problems, but to the right yes.
There is a situation in which you can not choose or remove a girl from the list.
Sorry for the problems.

Since there is a serious problem with the names, I will use your contribution to fix it and also upload the file with the icons.

EDIT: Replaced the name files. They have errors and I also believe that up to 10 characters can be used per name.
Thanks, really appreciate it.

Dagoth

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

What problem were you running into? I tested out the name lists I posted by going through about 20 or so girls in the recruitment list and everything looked fine.
I just tested your latest release and got a girl named "Vegetables" with the name list you're currently using. Hah. :)

Looks like you missed the ConditionGraph image, it's kind of handy.

Edit: and actually, the girl in question is named "Watanabe Vegetables", and her name is long enough to have the end of her main/first name (Vegetables) cut off on most screens. See the attached screenshot of 3 such places.
I do feel like longer names should be culled; having 301 first names and 419 surnames seems like plenty of possible combinations to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

lagunabolt

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for the translations. Anyone working on the occupation and backstory ones? Would really like to play another run of the game once those are translated as it makes it more fun and immersive to play.

PabloC

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Anyone working on the occupation and backstory ones?
I translated the jobs already, and if our hacker managed to locate all of the info from backstories, that should be translated as well. Now it's only a matter of fitting everything, but those parts shouldn't cause as many issues as the interface.

pkj

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

What problem were you running into? I tested out the name lists I posted by going through about 20 or so girls in the recruitment list and everything looked fine.
I just tested your latest release and got a girl named "Vegetables" with the name list you're currently using. Hah. :)

Edit: and actually, the girl in question is named "Watanabe Vegetables", and her name is long enough to have the end of her main/first name (Vegetables) cut off on most screens. See the attached screenshot of 3 such places.
I do feel like longer names should be culled; having 301 first names and 419 surnames seems like plenty of possible combinations to me.
The names are sorted alphabetically, I found several BBB lines in between, and the two files end up in AAA. To try to avoid problems I have replaced them.
The long names exceed the box, but if you can click it there is no problem (I think).
Rare names I think are funny.
The original ConditionGraph file does not contain any text.
I was hoping to find some txt to translate that.

Regards

Dagoth

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The names are sorted alphabetically, I found several BBB lines in between, and the two files end up in AAA. To try to avoid problems I have replaced them.
Ah, you're right, a few copies of "BBB" ended up in the list of first names, from duplicating the entire list to fill it out to 1000 entries as the game requires. Easily enough fixed. As far as I can tell, the last line (line 1001) with either AAA or BBB in those files isn't actually used and is just a marker for their own visual purposes; it had no effect when I tested. However, also easily enough fixed. Updated file attached.

The original ConditionGraph file does not contain any text.
I was hoping to find some txt to translate that.
The text used there is apparently in the executable rather than the asset files, so replacing those would require a more advanced method.
And I think it looks very nice in-game; I placed the English text next to where the Japanese text shows up. See attached screenshot for an example of how it looks in-game.

Attachments

paulosergio96

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

So how much is translated thus far? Are there plans to translate the whole thing or just a few important things here and there?

Azoriss

Demon Girl
Reputation score

So I tried looking this up and I can't seem to find a working link
(or a safe one for that matter)

someone mind sparing a hint ?

already tried nyaa...

pkj

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The text used there is apparently in the executable rather than the asset files, so replacing those would require a more advanced method.
And I think it looks very nice in-game; I placed the English text next to where the Japanese text shows up. See attached screenshot for an example of how it looks in-game.
Ok, in the next version I'll try.
I have also mixed the short names for the next one.

So how much is translated thus far? Are there plans to translate the whole thing or just a few important things here and there?
Apart from how complicated Japanese is, I am Spanish and my translations would never be correct.
I only try to collaborate facilitating a little gameplay for those who do not know how to update it by itself.
I hope they release a version in English at last.

Last edited:

PabloC

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

We are planning to do the whole thing - at least everything that we can find and hack. Actually, we already have most of the stuff translated (dialogues, achievements, upgrades, most of the interface, girls' abilities, jobs and names), but putting it together is quite though.

nnescio

Reputation score

Heh, "Vegetables" does sort of illustrate my earlier point of not translating names in favor of transliterating them instead.

The original name here was probably 菜々 (Nana, but other kanji combinations exist for the same romanized name), which likely was mistranslated by a machine translator as 菜 can also mean "vegetable", and the 々 repetition marker is often used to form collective plurals (e.g. 人々, "hitobito" for "people").

The 菜 kanji does pop up very often in female Japanese names though (usually at the end). In names, it generally refers to the flowers of the rapeseed plant (Brassica napus). Yeah, the name of the plant is kinda unfortunate in English (which is why rapeseed oil is marketed as "Canola oil"), but it doesn't have that kind of 'connotation' in Japanese.

(Hey, at least the MTL didn't 'translate' her name as "Watanabe Rapes".)

Watanabe Nana will probably fit within the character limit, but yeah, this still doesn't solve the issue of other long names being truncated (a simple Japanese name with four kanji or kanji/kana combinations can be more than 15 letters long when romanized), so I'm in favor of removing the longer names from the random name generator.

Last edited: