What's new

ACT [Datanony] Labcoax - 2d H-platformer [updated 2014-03-09]

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Labcoax - 2d H-platformer [updated 07-31-2013]

I have been following your blog from update 2. It is an awesome game. ... PS: I am really interested in the poltergeist coat enemy. I love it!
Glad you liked it! Well you're in luck as the poltergeist will be in v0.5.

Just wanna get a question across: do you think the rape grapples should be doing damage? One suggestion was that only the first cycle of animation would do damage, the second loop onwards would do no damage (grapples now loops forever until player breaks it themselves).

tyruku

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Just wanna get a question across: do you think the rape grapples should be doing damage? One suggestion was that only the first cycle of animation would do damage, the second loop onwards would do no damage (grapples now loops forever until player breaks it themselves).
There are multiple options here. Off the top of my head, I can think of...

1) The damage being only in the first loop as suggested.

2) Having rape damage be an option in a menu somewhere.

and I'm not sure if this is possible, but 3) Have a key (probably H) to knock yourself down. When knocked down this way, you won't take damage from sex.

Hope that helps :)

Shadowgungc

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Actully I think it should be the other way around, with the grapple doing little or no damage at first but the damage grows every time the animation loops.

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Most of the time, no. There might be specific enemies where grapples dealing damage makes sense, though.

The idea of taking one-time damage from the enemy initiating a grapple is kind of interesting, but I think that Kurovadis and Eroico's approach is pretty good. If you get hit several times, you get put into knockdown state, and there's a button that lets you knockdown manually. Enemies mostly go after you after knockdown, with only a few grappling directly.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Glad you liked it! Well you're in luck as the poltergeist will be in v0.5.

if you can peak the damage at the orgasm, that would give us corruption narrative if it finishes her off :)

I think grapples should always do damage... otherwise it's not a real mechanic...unless it's slowing down your escape (timed mission)

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

if you can peak the damage at the orgasm, that would give us corruption narrative if it finishes her off :)

I think grapples should always do damage... otherwise it's not a real mechanic...unless it's slowing down your escape (timed mission)
What about damage on insertion and climax (which can be different value if needed)

So the first cycle does the most damage, and letting it goes on for too long will also gives you game over.

For example.
After downed
Enemy attempt insertion (mash to escape)
'failed' means damage from insertion
Enemy then goes into pounding (another mash to escape)
'failed' means cum inside
loop back to pounding again

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

What about damage on insertion and climax (which can be different value if needed)

So the first cycle does the most damage, and letting it goes on for too long will also gives you game over.

For example.
After downed
Enemy attempt insertion (mash to escape)
'failed' means damage from insertion
Enemy then goes into pounding (another mash to escape)
'failed' means cum inside
loop back to pounding again
well i dont mind the idea of no damage after the first cycle... that would benefit the people who just wanna watch them too

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

well i dont mind the idea of no damage after the first cycle... that would benefit the people who just wanna watch them too
Well '. ' another option that I just remembered would be from Vita Great Escape game.

Where you have the option to play in 'super mode', pretty much never die (although you can still get hit around) and have all the special abilities available so you can just go around getting raped by whatever you see fit and still be able to go clear the stage when you're bored.

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Have it do damage only when you're trying to escape? Now that's more realistic. That way people can enjoy the smexing like they're submissive/accepting of it at first, of course the monster is going to be less likely to harm a fuck toy that isn't fighting back. Then when you want to escape, it obviously tries harder to hold you down, causing damage. That way if you want to advance, you have to take some damage, but you can still enjoy the sex scenes without stress.

Everybody wins~~~~

Last edited:

Fenril

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I've seen many ways to handle that kind of predicament:

-Cheat codes: It's up to the player to find and activate the cheat code for infinite health or other perks, but once they have it, they can use it whenever they want. It's up to them if they want to play the game legit because they're aware that they're cheating.

-Easy mode/casual mode: You can get through the game with little trouble, but oftentimes, you can't beat the game on this setting.

-EXP System: You character levels up by defeating monsters, giving you so much defense and health that you could get raped all day, if you wanted to, as long as you make the occassional trip back to a healing sanctuary.

-Special Item: Typically given on New Game+, you get a special or option with makes you invincible.

-Playable gallery mode: Rather than have the dull gallery mode which is nothing but a dumping ground for the animations, you can wander around in a special area where you can fight and easily respawn all enemies, or get raped by them with infinite health.

DarkWarpalg6

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I was fine with rape damage as is. After all, even if your heroine isn't being directly harmed, she's still taking a pounding from a different direction and is getting pretty exhausted :D.

cybeast

Lurker
Reputation score

I've seen many ways to handle that kind of predicament:

-Cheat codes: It's up to the player to find and activate the cheat code for infinite health or other perks, but once they have it, they can use it whenever they want. It's up to them if they want to play the game legit because they're aware that they're cheating.

-Easy mode/casual mode: You can get through the game with little trouble, but oftentimes, you can't beat the game on this setting.

-EXP System: You character levels up by defeating monsters, giving you so much defense and health that you could get raped all day, if you wanted to, as long as you make the occassional trip back to a healing sanctuary.

-Special Item: Typically given on New Game+, you get a special or option with makes you invincible.

-Playable gallery mode: Rather than have the dull gallery mode which is nothing but a dumping ground for the animations, you can wander around in a special area where you can fight and easily respawn all enemies, or get raped by them with infinite health.
Bold: LOVE.THIS.

Love it on that still alive (something lab too, I think?), love it on Magic Castle (one with robot girl?), love it in almost every game:D

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I wouldn't mind if damage was done when the grapple is initiated.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score

I think damage during rape makes sense, if the idea the HP is a kind of "will to resist" or such.

Mook

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I think damage during rape makes sense, if the idea the HP is a kind of "will to resist" or such.
personally, I think the player would care more about which mechanics frustrate them, rather than which ones make sense, not that your example makes a whole lot of sense, though, as it only really does if that's the way you perceive the health bar in this particular circumstance.

but again, I don't care about that, I'd much prefer to not end up having to restart at some kind of checkpoint every time I run into my favorite H scene, just because I look at that one longer than my less favorite ones, therefore, I think I'd like to see damage dealt upon initiating the grapple, rather than over time.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

<...> grapple doing little or no damage at first but the damage grows every time the animation loops.
Pretty punishing IMO. There'll be another time for this, but for now, I'll keep this in my books for future use.

Most of the time, no. There might be specific enemies where grapples dealing damage makes sense. <...> there's a button that lets you knockdown manually <...>
The knockdown button WILL be exploited and probably will have much margin for bugs if it's included.

<...>

Those are good points. I haven't thought of endgame or newgame+ yet. The playable gallery mode may be a little tough, but I think I can pull it off. I first need to determine a user-friendly gallery UI, then set-up a small enemies database so I could efficiently use to spawn enemies within the gallery room.

Shit that's a lot of work. Bosses will have to be exceptions though.

I skimmed through comments and think it is best compromise for those pro-damage and no-damage that LBCX adopt the damage-on-struggle mechanics:
Have it do damage only when you're trying to escape? <...> That way people can enjoy the smexing like they're submissive/accepting of it at first, of course the monster is going to be less likely to harm a fuck toy that isn't fighting back. Then when you want to escape, it obviously tries harder to hold you down, causing damage. That way if you want to advance, you have to take some damage, but you can still enjoy the sex scenes without stress.

Everybody wins~~~~
Animation will loop forever without damage penalty, except for the part where you try to break free (struggle inputs). Damage-on-struggle allows for control of the rate of damage by player struggle input as FruitSmoothie explains best. I'll include an option to turn off all H-related grapples in the future.

Now FruitSmoothie, I can't make it for v0.5 but what single monster* you'd like to see in v0.6?

*Apart from the obvious boss monsters of course

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Animation will loop forever without damage penalty, except for the part where you try to break free (struggle inputs). Damage-on-struggle allows for control of the rate of damage by player struggle input as FruitSmoothie explains best. I'll include an option to turn off all H-related grapples in the future.

Now FruitSmoothie, I can't make it for v0.5 but what single monster* you'd like to see in v0.6?

*Apart from the obvious boss monsters of course
Woot woot.

I like most your designs, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm happy to see any of them show up. There's already slimes, rats, slime heads so maybe something a bit removed from those categories like the insect/arachnid types you drew? Insects are always good.

Fenril

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Those are good points. I haven't thought of endgame or newgame+ yet. The playable gallery mode may be a little tough, but I think I can pull it off. I first need to determine a user-friendly gallery UI, then set-up a small enemies database so I could efficiently use to spawn enemies within the gallery room.

Shit that's a lot of work. Bosses will have to be exceptions though.
A game I'd recommend as an example is LAB: Still Alive, becaues it's similar both graphically and gameplay-wise compared to Labcoax.

It has a playable gallery mode and it's basically about 4 areas off a main room, which you gain access to once you complete the game. Two of the rooms are large rooms with "pits" containing a few of each monster type. Another room has the trap objects, and the third has the bosses, which is basically one room with branches to the boss rooms.

The layout is kinda like a classic MegaMan game when you fight the robot masters again in Wily's castle. Only the boss rooms are a second branch off the main branch.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

A game I'd recommend as an example is LAB: Still Alive <...> has a playable gallery mode and it's basically about 4 areas off a main room, which you gain access to once you complete the game. Two of the rooms are large rooms with "pits" containing a few of each monster type. Another room has the trap objects, and the third has the bosses, which is basically one room with branches to the boss rooms.

The layout is kinda like a classic MegaMan game when you fight the robot masters again in Wily's castle.
Ah, I was thinking along the lines of: pick a number of enemies of your choosing, then be thrown into a room where they spawn. But LAB:SA gallery is straight forward, I'll follow its method if I have less time.

I like most <...> the insect/arachnid types <...> Insects are always good.
Was just about thinking how to program an enemy with the behaviour to traverse the ceiling and walls. A challenge I see.

EDIT#1:
I just uploaded

Release notes v0.5:
  • Aerial enemy 'Poltergeist'.
  • Grapple mechanics changed; now damages-on-struggle-input and loops until player breaks animation.
  • Breaking grapple becomes increasingly harder further into a single loop.
  • Introduced ammo drop and ammo alternate attack. Obtained via lockers.
  • A fresh labcoat has 3 hitpoints, gives 20% damage reduction, is finally useful. Obtained via lockers.
  • Two sets of player sprites: Sprite with labcoat equipped & the other without.
  • ... read more in blog.

Last edited:

Picaboo

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Labcoax - 2d H-platformer [updated 2014-03-09]

Yohoo..Thanks...

Looking good.