What's new

Atlantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Atlantis

"Yeah, we probably should have a good idea of where we're going before we go there. Especially if it's slinging us halfway across the known universe and then some." There's a bit of a chuckle from the other woman. "Took the words right out of my head, boss. Can't hurt to at least have her look at it. Anything else before I ring off? Otherwise, I'mma go watch Henry make eyes at Cassie. It's freaking adorable and I need some cute right now," she laughs.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

To that Julia actually laughed.

"I'm assuming he does know who she might be, yes? I think that just about covers everything. Good luck."

With that the communication ended, and as soon as it did, Jacobs came up to Sho.

"You have a few minutes? I think I've found something that might help us out."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Oh, he knows. Just doesn't care." She'll sign off and put her attention on the approaching Alveran. "Mini tactical nuke?" she asks with a sweet but evil grin.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs laughed slightly.

"No, I'm afraid not quite that useful, but still helpful to our biggest issue right now. I did a little digging around in the database, and through some of the lower levels. I found a lab that appears to have been tucked away in some obscure corner, one that I think belonged to Janus based on the material there. Anyway, it looks like he was doing research on the anomalies long before the Ancients abandoned the city. He discovered that each anomaly gave off a specific radial frequency, but more importantly, they had a specific magnetic signature. Interestingly though, they encountered anomalies that opened more than once, and here's the real kicker. The ones that opened multiple times had the same magnetic signature each time. So off a hunch, I did a few scans of my own and some back tracking. Turns out when that anomaly opened earlier, it matched the magnetic signature of the planet's poles at the time exactly. When the magnetic field of the planet changed enough, it collapsed. I think Janus was very close before leaving here to figuring out how to predict them, or at least understanding how they formed. That isn't all though. You remember what that Gorgonopsid looked like right?"

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"So if the poles line up like that again, then there's a good chance we're going to get another anomaly opening up, quite possibly to the same place and time as the one that was open earlier. Or if we do something to recreate that same magnetic frequency." Whether that's possible or not, it still maintains that it's the frequency that opens the anomalies. "The gorgonwhat? That was the big, ugly rendy nashy thing, right? Yeah."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs nodded.

"Right, and as for the Gorgonopsid, I found references to a beast like it appearing five or six times in different time periods on Earth, long after it went extinct. I think there may be more things like that. Basically, anything that appears out of place for it's time, might have been an anomaly opening up. If we can figure out where they opened up, and when, and how long in between ones that seem to recur, we might be able to find a way of predicting them."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Oh, and here I thought I gave up research projects when I got out of school." She'll scrub a hand through her hair. "Well, let's see what we've got. I certainly don't have anywhere to be for the next week or so."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs chuckled again.

"Well, you don't have to if you don't want to. I more meant we as in all of us, besides, we'd have to go back to Earth and do that kind of research, I don't have all the various mythologies in my portable device. That kind of research is going to take some time, hell, Cassie might be a big help with that if she wants to. She's got a knack for this kind of thing."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Well, we could start here and then branch out and start picking through things from Earth. I mean, hells, if you're going to talk mythological happenings and stuff that came out the anomaly, anything that might reference a dragon. Aliens. No offense. Mass disappearances. The list goes on. Maybe start with what Janus dug up and go from there. Might give us some direction."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs was silent for a moment before replying.

"I didn't see anything pertaining to that type of research in his lab here. Maybe from what they pulled from his lab back home, but not here. It may be that those types of things weren't something he'd consider oddities because he'd seen those creatures before. We have the benefit of being far enough into the future compared to when he would have lived to know what should, and shouldn't be in our history books and what stands out from the norm of the day. And none taken."

There was a beep from the console behind him, and he turned to look at it, frowning when he saw the display.

"That's odd. We just lost sensor readings in several areas of the city, as well as power to them. Some of them are in areas that were flooded until recently, so no shock stuff is malfunctioning there, but a few of these areas shouldn't be having issues. Some of the lower sections under us that didn't flood went out, a few on the west side of the city, and ... just lost the power and sensors for the hologram room too. Just lost them right now."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Well, we'll figure out where we need to start and...start there, I guess." She shrugs. As he mentions losing power, she frowns. "Survives underwater for how long," she mutters, though as he mentions losing power to the hologram room, she's actually off and running. "Not good. Try and hail them. Or Henry. Something. And get me a pry bar for the door!" And she's gone.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs grabbed a piece of metal railing that had broken off at some point during either one of the battles in the gate room earlier, or during their rise from the water and high tailed it behind Sho, calling for Henry on a portable stone.

"Not getting anything at all, no reply. Hand held scanner is only picking up our lifesigns, nothing else around."

Reaching the doors, Jacobs pulled ahead of her, and dropped the metal piece.

"Well, we won't need that for the doors, holy shit."

As Sho came into view of the doors, she could see they had been completely smashed down, almost as if something had torn right through them like tissue paper.

Withdrawing his pistol, Jacobs carefully entered the room and swept it, pausing as he walked over to the hologram panel. He called out to Sho a moment later, shock in his voice.

"I've got Henry over here. Looks like a blast wound to the chest, but there's also blood from the abdominal region. He's um ... I'm assuming he was clothed when you last saw him? He isn't now. No sign of Cassie either."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Get a medic down here." She'll either raise one herself or Jacobs can, maybe even both of them. "And put an alert out on anybody that looks like Henry. Lock the gate. And let's figure out where the hell they're going to. Where'd we lose power?"

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs shook his head.

"A medic won't do any good Sho. His symbiote has been ripped out and is missing, and I've got no pulse or life readings coming from him. He's already dead. No sign that he fought back either, whatever happened here happened fast, and he never saw it coming. As for the power, here, and parts of the secondary towers. Looks like drone weapons systems, shield emitter and that are all out. Internal sensors in the blacked out areas are gone too, it's about half this tower, and the west side lower levels that are out."

As Sho entered the room, she could see Henry, very clearly dead. On the floor, kicked under the console, she could see a pile of clothing that looked identical to what he had been wearing when she left the room, as well as what looked like a bra.

Jacobs called out with his stone to have the gate room secured, thereby of course alerting Sarnael of at least something big going on.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

There's a very soft "Shit" breathed out as she casts her eyes Heavenward before scrubbing her hands through her hair. "Okay, so we've got no real weapons, no shields, half this place is blacked out... What's in here? I know the hangar, which we probably should secure, too, because we have no way of stopping a ship from leaving. I need to know where they'd go. Cause we're either looking at an escape or a kidnapping." From the look that drifts in Henry's direction, she's obviously hoping for the latter.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs thought a moment.

"Well we have the hangar above the gate room, but there's a second hangar on the west end too. There's a few labs in some of the dark areas, beyond that not much useful. Depending on the goal here, I'd do one of two things if I were looking for an escape. I'd either head for the hangar and hope my foes weren't prepared for that, or I'd head for one of the labs to see if there's anything I could use there. Now we're assuming a kidnapping here, but it might not be. This could have been an assassination, why I don't know but if that's the case, they may not be looking to escape, but they may be looking to blow up the city, at which point, the Z.P.M would be my primary target."

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"And if you're going to blow it up, you're not going to want to stay here, unless you're a fanatic. Let's get both hangars secured and someone around to protect the Z.P.M. After that, we can start searching the labs. I don't want anyone going alone." A thought occurs to her for a moment and he can see the wheels turning in the cant of her head. "Hey, librarian. You around? Something tells me you don't need power to come talk to us." Worth a shot, at any rate.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jacobs thought a moment.

"Or you already have another ride out of here."

He barked out an update to his men, frowning slightly as they acknowledged.

"We're dangerously spread thin right now. Barely have enough people to secure everything, so it's just you and I, and wherever Sarnael's people are to do the sweeps."

There was a long pause, and just when Sho was about to give up on getting an answer, the room filled briefly with light as Alana returned.

"I cannot stay long Shoni. I know why you have asked me here, and I can only tell you this. A single Klarnell has infiltrated Atlantis, and is hunting your friend. That however is not the only danger facing her today. The only other thing I can say to you is this."

She turned directly to Jacobs and spoke a single word before vanishing.

"Harcesis."

Jacobs, who already was half groaning at the mention of a Klarnell, turned deathly white as he looked back at Henry's body.

"Oh Christ, you have to be fucking joking."

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

A cold voice cut the air behind Jacobs. "Not likely."

Sarnael had come up behind them. "Have one of your techs modify the city's sensors to scan for antiproton residue. That should help with the cloaked Klarnell trying to sabotage things."

As he moved off, it'd be clear he was in full hunting mode. Of course, his carrying his weapon that he'd had brought in earlier might be a large tipoff on that.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Fine. We'll have them cover the obvious exits. Let them think that's where we're concentrating our energy. And then keep us updated on anything that stands out. I don't know if Cassie can hold her own against that thing, but we cannot let it leave with her. Though I have a feeling if instinct takes over with her, we'll know where she is." The last comes out in something of a mutter.

"I know," she tells Alana. "I just wanted to feel a little better about...this." She gestures toward Henry. "In a way, I do. Thanks." Though at Jacobs' curse, she looks over at him. "Translation?"

She's content to let Sarnael stalk off on his hunt. She's willing to provide backup, but he seems the type to move better and faster when he's on his own and not need help until things start exploding.

Status
Not open for further replies.