What's new

A tribute to the nice guys.

Blah

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: A tribute to the nice guys.

Hmm. Being a safety-paranoid person (ie. I was THE school bully in my childhood, so I find it easy to watch for the signs), I have a simple compromise for door-holding. It's nice to hold the door for people, but there's two ways to hold it open. Opening it and letting someone else go first (the wrong way IMO), and opening, going through yourself, and holding it so the person behind you can grab it (the right way). Women can't bitch about anything because they HAVE to touch the door themselves, but they might not pick up on how it makes you the first person to meet whatever is on the other side of said door, which again IMO is how it should be done. Sexist? Chivalry? Neither? All depends on perspective.

That video... heh. She certainly deserved something, I would've thrown her into the pool myself, less risk of injury. Woman or not, the fact of the matter is you shouldn't hit someone unless you (and/or person you're with) feel physically threatened. She tossed her drink in his face. Is he physically threatened or hurt? No, so no need to hit her. Just humiliate her a bit. Tossing her in the pool, undoing her top (I believe it was tied at the back there), acceptable responses to me. Or if you can make a snappy comeback about her foreign status. Certainly doesn't need to potentially crack her skull over something like this.

Edit: Chibi, the thing with us nice guys is we care about others before ourselves. That's probably why we 'finish last', because we won't go after things we want because it doesn't matter as much to us. We do have a backbone, believe me, but it has nothing to do with us. Agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment behind meals/reach. You can take care of yourself, you don't need someone to do it all for you. Balance, to me, is the goal. You're both going to the same place, so hold the damned door. She wants the cup, not you, so let her get her own cup. You're both sharing the meal, so share the bill. Let her do things for herself that are ONLY for herself, unless she asks for help. *shrugs*. Chivalry through convenience.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Why is it that chivalry is always accredited towards men being nice to women. Sure that's the most common, but I think women can be chivalrous towards men and other women themselves.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Edit: Chibi, the thing with us nice guys is we care about others before ourselves. That's probably why we 'finish last', because we won't go after things we want because it doesn't matter as much to us. We do have a backbone, believe me, but it has nothing to do with us. Agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment behind meals/reach. You can take care of yourself, you don't need someone to do it all for you. Balance, to me, is the goal. You're both going to the same place, so hold the damned door. She wants the cup, not you, so let her get her own cup. You're both sharing the meal, so share the bill. Let her do things for herself that are ONLY for herself, unless she asks for help. *shrugs*. Chivalry through convenience.
If you really want something then it really matters. Just because you're a nice guy doesn't mean you shouldn't go after what you want. If you let an opportunity slip by you that means you didn't really want it. And if you didn't really want it... why whine about it?

And I like that "Chivalry through convenience" it's perfect :3

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well that's just the definition of the word. It's like why there are no male lesbians.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't really like the concept of chivalry because it seems to me more like an insult to the other person, saying they can't even open a door or whatever on their own. Obviously it's a bit different if you're opening a door, for example, for an elderly person or someone who would otherwise find such activity difficult, but to hold the door for someone of my age and health would seem almost condencending toward them.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's the argument and in all fairness, it IS correct (at least in my opinion). It can be likened to programs such as black history month or affirmative action. It's a handout, and there are some people who receive said handouts and hate them because they only think accepting it only goes to lessen them.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well that's just the definition of the word. It's like why there are no male lesbians.
Its not the definition of the word as far as I'm aware. It's about honour, and courtly manners. While in the modern day it is usually referring to men's actions, I think women can be as well.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Attribute that to sexism in the past. It was born of words that meant a person who fought, usually on horseback, who back then was almost uniformly male, so it was a vow of virtue expected of those men who were knighted. Technically it started out as just swearing to protect their land and their religion but the turn of the 13th century brought the idea that a man should honor and serve while doing nothing to displease a maiden.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

D: I can't get the nice guy I want because he's too much of a nice guy to date/sleep with me because we're gonna be roommates!

That's always been my frustration with genuinely nice guys. They've got no backbone to take what they want. I want someone that's aggressive yet nice. xD *is submissive* not someone that's going to be my friend, and be all submissive.

Chivalry is all well and good and I'm glad some people still do that. But though i like my guy opening doors and such for me, i hate having my meals paid for and I hate when it's automatically assumed i want help with something I can't reach.

>.>;;

anyway, back to the nice guy thing... Yeah. I want someone who will let me know in no uncertain terms what he wants, whether it be just friendship, a date, or inside my pants. But is nice enough to let ME decide what I want without whining about how nice guys get the short end of the stick.

i think I'm just rambling now. Stupid lack of sleep.
You know, you could always try ask him out rather than waiting for him to ask you.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Attribute that to sexism in the past. It was born of words that meant a person who fought, usually on horseback, who back then was almost uniformly male, so it was a vow of virtue expected of those men who were knighted. Technically it started out as just swearing to protect their land and their religion but the turn of the 13th century brought the idea that a man should honor and serve while doing nothing to displease a maiden.
Yes, but the world has changed... oh well, maybe only Lesbians can be chivalrous eh?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

You know, you could always try ask him out rather than waiting for him to ask you.
I'm sick and tired of doing that. i want someone to like me enough to ask me out. I've always done the asking and i don't want to do it anymore...

And if you're wondering, i already tried asking the nice guy, he said it was a bad idea because of the roommate thing.

I just don't want to be the aggressor anymore...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, but the world has changed... oh well, maybe only Lesbians can be chivalrous eh?
But then... I won't be able to be chivalrous anymore :(
at least not until my operation o_O

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh my bad :p

...IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN
*poof*

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Damnit... he got away again!

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm not really misanthropic, it's more that I'm nice to people who are nice back. Basically I follow the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Every time I open the door at the post office I hold it open for everyone going in or out not just the girls or elderly, but my peers as well.

Ironically that makes me a hypocrite but I can live with that because I realize that there's no way you can do something without anything in return. Even if it's just someone mumbling thank you, you recieve something in return.

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Edit: Chibi, the thing with us nice guys is we care about others before ourselves. That's probably why we 'finish last', because we won't go after things we want because it doesn't matter as much to us. We do have a backbone, believe me, but it has nothing to do with us.
See now, but then we get posts like this tribute that sparked this all, where it's obvious that some people do care enough to write epic whining posts about lacking the poontang, but not actually trying to get it.

It's fine to care about others before yourself, but tempering the 'nice guy doing a good service' actions with realizing that you have wants or needs and expressing those is a good way to become more healthy...

In a sense, taking steps to make yourself happy in relationships with other people is doing a service to others, since being around someone who's open, happy and honest is a lot more fun than being around someone who's painfully, falsely chivalrous/cheerful/helping. *cringe* Seen that so many times and it makes my head esplode. Yay confidence and honesty! *waves a small flag*

Chibi, maybe if you're basically subby in personality, if you found someone who was similar in subbyness, you guys could arrange a deal to take turns? :p Not ideal, but both my girlfriend and I are pretty submissive so that's been the arrangement we've worked out, and it seems to do pretty well. (Of course, I'm only really talking about during sex, so it's not a constant set-up. >_>)

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Also, the one that I always get shit about, how if a man hits a woman, everyone jumps his shit, even when she deserves it, but when a woman hits a man, I've generally seen it been reacted to like "YEA! THATS WHAT HE GETS!"
That's linked with feminism. As Maddox very well puts it, "they [women] expect special treatment at their discretion. They want equal rights, equal pay, and equal treatment for everything EXCEPT when it comes to shit like this, then they want you to 'react cutely' instead of, say, putting them in a head lock and making them eat ants and/or spiders while you give them carpet burn. Why don't women react "cutely" when men hit them for a change? Oops, I forgot, that's domestic abuse."

That's off topic though, so I'll stop there. Feminists make me rage and this topic would veer off course quickly.

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

*snort* That's because that's the kind of dumb shit that they wouldn't do to you... well... some of them anyways. If we're talking equality's downsides though I'm sure they'd be happy to trade cat-fighting mind-games with you, since that seems to be our equivalent of dumb shit to annoy other people.

Blah

Lurker
Reputation score

See now, but then we get posts like this tribute that sparked this all, where it's obvious that some people do care enough to write epic whining posts about lacking the poontang, but not actually trying to get it.
Ah, but that whining tribute wasn't made by a nice guy :p