What's new

[3D Lotus] Skunk 4.1 #1 サイロスの灯台

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozimandias

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: (3D Lotus) Skunk 4.1 #1 サイロスの灯台

Well, if a developer tries to tack on too many scripts on an RPGMaker game, especially if he doesn't even understand the scripts he copy-and-pasted...

...or even bother to close any threads once they're done. Or put wait periods all over the place in his code...

Or if he abuses Ruby metaprogramming too much...

Generally, this issue pops up whenever people try to do too much with any game engine that doesn't really support hardware acceleration (from graphics cards). Especially if said engine can only use one core.
In other words he doesn't know how to program efficiently, and is relying on brute force and ignorance (hardware) to bail him out?

Do we know what engine is being used for SKUNK 4.1... is it the same as for 3?

I have run SKUNK 2 & 3 on single core Athlon XP 2400 and 3000 CPUs. They are single core 2.01 and 2.17GHz respectively. The video cards would be 256 and 512MB DDR2, and the system RAM DDR1 @ 333/400MHz. The OS was Windows XP Pro. They ran just fine for me.

If the current engine is monolithic (single core) then an i-anything is a total waste... the i7 is quad core with hyperthreading, for example.

Can we get excited about this now? Better camera controls and X-Ray view!
I am afraid that I cannot get excited about static images, until I know that the mechanism behind them will actually work for me.

The graphics do seem rather more sophisticated (demanding) than previous SKUNK versions, so perhaps the hardware spec should place more emphasis on the graphics card/chipset, and dedicated video RAM?

I am afraid that all we can do is speculate at the moment as we don't have anything working to play with :(

Cheers,

OZ

Sess-

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

how about we stop talking and/or spreading FUD about stuff you guys have no clue about.

as for the system requirements, how about wait for the damn thing to get on dlsite in a few days to see what the specs are gonna be listed there and you can even have a demo to test on?

until then, the thing is made on the same engine, as all of the other 3 parts of the series and is gonna run on a potato.

and calling an haswell i3 "far better", than its older top of the line i7 brother, are you fucking kidding me? :rolleyes: the small performance improvements, that intel has made per every new CPU generation up until now, are so small, that pretty much even now there is absolutely no point to upgrade your "old" sandy bridge gen CPU to a newer one since the benefits on it are gonna be more or less unnoticeable, especially when were talking about gaming.

and if were talking about things, that you might actually use to make your living, adobe suites, 3d rendering and all of those things, youre looking more or less the same situation with the higher end x99 platform with the exception that there, youre getting up to 8 core CPU´s with hyperthreading which on a productivity standpoint is pretty much, the only reason to upgrade, from a sandy bridge based CPU, more and more cores and support for way higher amounts of RAM, gaming wise the x99 stuff doesnt give any benefits past the 4 cores that we already have on the "consumer" side.

Last edited:

Relic

Demon Girl
Reputation score

He even did Heroine-eye this time? Interesting

Ozimandias

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

how about we stop talking and/or spreading FUD about stuff you guys have no clue about.

Because the subject was raised by the game developer himself, and it is he who appears not to have a clue.

as for the system requirements, how about wait for the damn thing to get on dlsite in a few days to see what the specs are gonna be listed there and you can even have a demo to test on?

Once again, because the game developer himself did not do so, and brought the discussion forwards. As for a "few days", that is a very optimistic hope.

until then, the thing is made on the same engine, as all of the other 3 parts of the series and is gonna run on a potato.

Graphics may be a problem with some laptops running Windows 7 and beyond. They may not have enough to support the OS and the game.

and calling an haswell i3 "far better", than its older top of the line i7 brother, are you fucking kidding me? :rolleyes: the small performance improvements, that intel has made per every new CPU generation up until now, are so small, that pretty much even now there is absolutely no point to upgrade your "old" sandy bridge gen CPU to a newer one since the benefits on it are gonna be more or less unnoticeable, especially when were talking about gaming.

The only way that a current i3 would be better than an old i7 is in the onchip/onboard graphics. It would still lag WAY behind on raw processing. Intel seem to have made much greater advances in their APU graphics than basic CPU performance.
OZ

Ozimandias

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Yes, just as you must realise that this is a "game", so there should be action, continuity and all that.

You quoted me out of context as it happens; what I said was:

I am afraid that I cannot get excited about static images, until I know that the mechanism behind them will actually work for me.
It is the bit after the comma that is the important part. ;)

The static images tell me that this is visually more complex than the previous games, but doesn't tell me the extent. "Excited" was your choice of words rather than mine. :) I am "enthusiastic", but wait to see how well it will work.

The dev rang the alarm bells by effectively saying: "This game is rather complex, so go and buy an expensive new computer to play it (i7 + videocard)" I personally do not believe him, but have no evidence.

Given that I currently use a laptop with a far lower specification than that, I am a little concerned.

OZ

Lurker_01

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

if i managed to run oblivion with low-mid intel onboard video, i am positive this have lower requirements, if this have at least some optimizations, because you can create lag even with worse graphics.
P.S. i do have a proper video card now

Last edited:

MegatronYES

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I am shiverring in my god damn boots excited for this.

Oh man. Oh man you guys.

superman12

Demon Girl
Reputation score

It's actually happening, been going back to the site every once a while only to see no updates. But this month got both Hounds and this. Glorious.:D

Ozimandias

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Hi,

I do hope that nobody really thinks that I have been spreading "FUD", as that was certainly not my intention when I questioned the specifications.

I would not have picked up on this (non-) issue, if it had not been posted by a fellow member. It just struck me as being so over-powered for a fairly basic, stand-alone hentai game.

Here is a quote from a developer who posts on this forum (urielmanx7), and is developing a game called "SpaceEscape":

About the frame rate, flash is very demanding already, and I haven't got to the optimization part of the development (I have already looked it up and know what to do), I can play at fullscreen (though is not advisable since it will mess up some blacks I use to frame the screen) at 30fps, but I have an i7 3.5Ghz, 16Gb Ram and a Nvidia GTX660Ti, so right now I have no idea what the minimum and recommended specs are for the game.
That is an honest and informative statement. He has a pretty top-notch tower-cased development machine, so cannot comment on how it would run on anything else.

The SKUNK developer should either have said something similar, or better still, nothing at all.

I still believe that it will run on anything that can run Windows Vista, 7 or 8.

Cheers,

OZ

MegatronYES

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Man I wish they had a better animation/modeling team.

The gameplay here is exactly what I've felt H-games should be. Short and to the point, gets out of the way once you get to the "event" content, and for the love of FUCK, you are REWARDED with the content you came here to see in the first place, rather than the other way around, which is the stupid god damned standard of this genre.

tentakuru

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

DLSite page is up:

There's been an update to the product page too, a few more screenshots of the battle and adventure modes.

nnescio

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

DLSite page is up:

There's been an update to the product page too, a few more screenshots of the battle and adventure modes.
He's not changing the specs requirements either:

作品番号 : RJ154200
CPU : Intel Core i7 推奨
メモリ : 2GB以上の空き容量
HDD : 4GBの空き
VIDEO : 要グラフィックボード(インテルHDは多分不可)
DirectX : 9以上
注意事項 : -
Translation:

Product number: RJ154200
CPU : Intel Core i7 recommended
Memory : More than 2 GB free space (sic)
HDD : 4 GB free space
Video : Needs a separate graphics card (probably won't work with Intel HD)
DirectX : 9 or above
Other notes : -
Yep, this is going to scare people away. And the fact that he specified the word "free space" in the memory part does seem to indicate he doesn't know much about computers.

Ozimandias

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Yeah, it's on DLSite now, but still no demo!

Their suggested specs:

Work number
RJ154200
CPU
Intel Core i7 recommended
Memory
2GB or more of free space
HDD
Free 4GB
VIDEO
Required graphics board (Intel HD is probably impossible)
DirectX
9 or more
Has anybody wondered why Intel and AMD have spent all that time and money developing APUs, when they are (supposedly) inadequate for running this game?... even an i7!!!

I also notice that you need 2GB or more of free RAM. That would rule out a lot of older and low-spec laptops, unless a RAM upgrade is possible?

Coupled with that, is the fact that even low end video cards have 1GB of RAM these days, so you would be hard pressed to run the game on a 32bit machine, given the address space limitations. :eek:

And why an "i7"?... that is just a high-end Intel family of products. Are they saying that an i5 or FX8350 aren't up to it? :rolleyes:

It would be better to state generic specifications such as number of cores, hyperthreading, turboboost, and clockspeed. And the amount of dedicated video RAM recommended.

I am just amazed at the marketing faux pas here...

However, I suggest that you do not get disheartened by my ranting... just check out a pirated copy on your rig before you buy it ;):cool:

Cheers,

OZ

EDIT:

I just had a chat with someone who used to have one of these mid-range "gaming" laptops a few years back. He told me that there were basically two modes: "ordinary" and "gaming" If you set gaming, it set the resolution to maximum and used the card, with the HD chipset being used for mundane, background tasks. Otherwise it used the Intel HD chipset. His was an i7 Sandy Bridge, and he said that it would not play anything with demanding video using the HD chipset.

It sounds like the dev has one of these?

From benchmarks and reviews it seems that the HD4000 that ships with Ivy Bridge and Haswell core processors has identical performance to the GeForce 610M.

I strongly suspect that the dev hasn't got round to optimization either.

Last edited:

Nastynassy

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Why have the new Characters look so terrible, what a downgrade =/

But I played the older ones only for gameplay so its okay^^

okay I fapped to the purple Cowboy girl one time cause she looked like selphie ^^

Sess-

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

calling it a downgrade is retarded when the model quality is gonna be either equal or better than the previous games, as its happened with previous games aswell.

Ozimandias

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Perhaps "downgrade" should read as "disappointment"? That is a matter of personal taste of course.

If there were a true downgrade the specs would not be so high, would they?

:)

Sess-

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

personal tastes aside frankly put even if a game would be downgraded in terms of graphics, wouldnt straight up mean it would require less of a beefy hardware, since theres so many factors in games which determine the hardware requirements.

terrible coding/porting being obviously just one of them, just look at CoD:Ghosts ran like utter shit on PC, on a recommended system and hell even with over the top hardware (atleast when it first came out, no clue has it been patched to be better, nor do i really care tbh) while still having bigger requirements than previous games, and on top of that, looking worse on pretty much every aspect compared to the previous games.

that said, games very rarely look worse graphically when compared to their predecessors, that hardly ever happens, albeit after a certain point it obviously might end up being one of those, diminishing returns once you go past certain level of graphical fidelity after which you need to make the "graphics upgrade" by, using more realistic lighting and all of those things since you just cant make things better just by adding polygons to an object without making your hardware requirements be something absurd.

Last edited:

Nastynassy

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Downgrade means it looks worse than before =)

especially their faces

Anon_Ymous

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Two new posts, basically saying it should be available on DMM and DLsite 30th April. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.