RPG Unknown/Hiatus Malise and the Machine - Public Demo Available Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Hello and Welcome!

I am excited to present to you my first title in what will hopefully be a long list of games: Malise and the Machine. The first free public demo of Malise and the Machine was released via Patreon on February 14, 2016. ! You need the RPG Maker VX Ace runtime package to run the demo. Get your pledges in early to get the latest news on upcoming releases! Read on for details!

As of October 11, 2016, we've updated the campaign model and now have a lower entry point for pledge rewards. In addition, new patrons now get instant access to their digital rewards! If you've been waiting to check out the progress of the game, now is a great time to do so!

Check out the original preview video for the first release of Malise and the Machine!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="640" height="360" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x2cxu94" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cxu94_malise-and-the-machine-adult-pc-rpg-preview-video_videogames" target="_blank">Malise and the Machine - Adult PC RPG - Preview...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/eromancergames" target="_blank">eromancergames</a></i>​
You can also find Eromancer on Tumblr and Blogspot!
Tumblr:
Blogspot:
Have a question?

Email me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours)!

Screenshots!

About the game

Malise and the Machine is an adult RPG for the PC, and is being created using a heavily improved version of RPG Maker VX Ace. After having been a personal project of mine for a year, the project had its first test release on Patreon in April of 2015. The project has grown so much in the time since then due to the support of our loyal patrons, and we are now a three person team of extremely devoted members working full time to make this the best H-RPG in existence.

The goal for this project is to make an amazing game that can be distributed in both English and Japanese, and we need your help to do it!

Why should I care about it?

One of the major goals of the game is originality in as much as possible. Characters, enemies, artwork, the story, tilesets, and even the soundtrack are being custom made for the game. If you've been waiting for a H-game with virtually non-stop combat-oriented H content that draws on gameplay aspects from classic RPG greats such as the classic Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy series, then you should care!

Is the gameplay any good?

The gameplay *is* good! A key element is the custom active time battle system that features fully animated enemy sprites and unique, highly detailed character artwork for every action. Characters have access to different outfits and weapon types that will modify their stats, play-style, and most importantly how battle H-content gets carried out.

Here's a brief summary of gameplay elements that are either integrated already or are being planned/designed:

- A fast paced active time battle system featuring a party of two with real-time H-content
- Complex skills, status system, balancing, and actual challenging gameplay (gasp)!
- Quality AI
- A fleshed out story told through events with detailed character artwork
- An array of armor types for each character with their own unique visuals and play-styles
- Crafting
- Armor and weapon upgrade system
- A whole lot of loot to feed the crafting and upgrade systems
- Non-linear story/quest/progression elements
- A custom user interface designed to maximize effectiveness of the biggest feature: H-content

What's special about the H content? What will this game feature?

This is where the game really shines. The design goals of this project aim to overcome the design drawbacks of many of the H-RPGs that have come before it. Instead of H-content feeling like it has been tacked onto the gameplay, this game is being heavily designed around the H-content.

Many games demand that you lose to see H-content. While it situationally makes sense, it is completely counter-intuitive to what makes a game fun: progression and overcoming challenges. Discovering a new enemy only to have to wait for a game over screen to collect H-content simply isn't that fun.

In this game, you are rewarded with H-content by surviving. Most of the H-content occurs during battle scenes, and does so using a completely original system. The game features a struggle system not unlike many RoR titles (Shinobi Girl, Witch Girl, etc.) built within the active time battle system. This opens up a whole new realm of gameplay possibilities such as skills and stats designed to affect the outcomes of the struggle system, as well as story/event battles designed completely around this system.

While there are a ton of details I could go into (and yes, many details left to be fleshed out as well), here's a basic summary of the H-content elements that are being designed for the game:

- Real time battle H-content that is strongly influenced by characters' armor, level, and stats.
- A unique in-battle struggle system that combines the best aspects of RoR titles with traditional RPG H-games.
- Unique clothing destruction system featuring resistances and vulnerabilities that are dependent on the aesthetics of the characters' equipped armor type
- Unwarranted amounts of happy jelly.
- Highly varied enemy types that are both unique and yet span the gammut of traditional enemies seen in H-games.
- Vore, beasts, tentacles, and more will be included.
- A ridiculous amount of highly detailed artwork
- A gallery system to view higher quality versions of the ridiculous amount of highly detailed artwork

Different armor and outfits huh? So you just mean we'll see the same artwork with different outfits tacked on, right?

Not at all! A lot of games in the past utilize picture overlays to simulate different clothing/outfits. In Malise and the Machine every outfit truly has its own unique artwork, and every single H attack has different artwork for each character and outfit (and many times the attack changes entirely!). In addition, each outfit type has a unique progressive armor damage pattern that affects how H attacks play out!

The artwork looks unique! How is it being made?

The art style uses pre-rendered graphics made from 3D models. I'm using a highly customized set of shaders and post processing combined with hand painting in Photoshop to achieve this style, and the result is that I can create highly detailed artwork relatively quickly without being a master 2D artist. This route also allows me to pay to license models/parts from artists and customize them to my liking for use in the game. This isn't a magic button that does the work for me by any means as a lot of customization goes into everything, but it is the next best thing to having a team of artists working with me.

Who are you? How many people are working this? Have you made any games previously?

I'm a professional programmer, but this is my first game. I also have a background in various mediums of graphic design and music, and have pushed my creative abilities to new levels to lay the groundwork for this project.

I began the project on my own, but the development team now consists of myself, a full-time programmer, and a second full time 3D artist. Due to the nature of the game content and the specific skill sets required for making the artwork (and coding my ambitious ideas) the pool of candidates is very small. Naturally I can't expect such talented people to work for free, nor would I want them to.

Why use Patreon? What even is Patreon?

Patreon is a sort of crowdfunding site that works on a subscription basis. As of October 11, 2016, the Malise and the Machine campaign collects pledges on a monthly basis, and now new patrons get instant access to their digital rewards. I chose Patreon because it allows for adult themed projects and doesn't destroy the creator with fees, but in doing so I've had to come up with a model that will benefit everyone involved. Patreon can be kind of confusing for newcomers, but once you get the hang of it I think you'll see it is a pretty great system. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the project or how Patreon works!

In conclusion, I pretty frequently add posts to the end of this thread, so check there or the project's or for news on the game!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Malise and the Machine (New RPG!)

(Reserved)

OnyxShadow

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Normally I hate pretty much anything that comes out of the RPG Maker platform, but this actually looks really good.

First of all, I'm immediately happy about it being primarily in English. Also, it appears to be more focused on gameplay and not on assaulting you with an endless barrage of text. Lastly, instead of using boring recycled content this seems to be mostly if not all original material. I'll hold off getting too enthusiastic until I've seen more (or a demo is released), but I gotta say that I'm cautiously optimistic for this.

amgwtfover

Lurker
Reputation score

It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and can understand the good selling points of H games like in-combat H, a good unique art design, and an open-style story. As posted above, I will reserve myself until a concept more substantial than some screenshots is posted.

But I will be watching this thread with great interest.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

Looks good, but when a H game is content heavy it always leads me wondering if it will ever be finished (looking at your, ProjectX/GrrlPower2)

Quist

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

That looks really good.

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Thanks for the compliments guys!

@OnyxShadow: To be honest RPG Maker was never my ideal platform for this. I spent a solid three months adding features, designing processes, and optimizing core functions to get it to where I was happy with it. Luckily the vast majority of work that is left is game mechanics, UI, and content related.

By the way, is there by chance a popular H-friendly subreddit or anything I could announce this on?

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Eromancer,

What you have looks very good. I've been learning and building a game in RPG Maker for quite some time now and fully understand how challenging putting something like this together really is. So congratulations! In fact, the selfish part of me wishes I could see how you are accomplishing some of these things :D.

Anyways, I wish you luck and hope this garners the attention it deserves if it is released. I will definitely monitor the progress of this.

Darkstrain

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

i am on the first page of the game discussion that in one or two years will be legendary.

just a few things i'd like to know about the game:

-the active system you mention, is like the final fantasy 7/8/9 systems, i mean, the bar fills-> you act and there are no pauses?

-the sex seems like it will be a core part of gameplay, however, is it a must through the story? im particuraly fond of doing virgin runs-then couple-slut routes and what not.

and that would be it, i do have more questions but i dont want to leave you without surprises n_n. do you have a price for a normal copy of the game already?if i'm not mistaken, this game should be on the 15 bucks or more group. with that said, ill donate 100% for this. good luck with this ambitious project.

dartred

Tentacle God
Reputation score

what program are you using to create the models and engine if you dont mind me asking.

Opferous

Reputation score

Nice, looks like 110.1 for the cyborg girl? Great looking renders. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this project.

cavecricket48

Sex Demon
Reputation score

You could always ask Fenoxo for support. He has quite the following, you know :eek:

OP
Eromancer

Eromancer

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Eromancer,

What you have looks very good. I've been learning and building a game in RPG Maker for quite some time now and fully understand how challenging putting something like this together really is. So congratulations! In fact, the selfish part of me wishes I could see how you are accomplishing some of these things :D.

Anyways, I wish you luck and hope this garners the attention it deserves if it is released. I will definitely monitor the progress of this.
Thanks! You can PM me questions if you want and I can try to help.

i am on the first page of the game discussion that in one or two years will be legendary.

just a few things i'd like to know about the game:

-the active system you mention, is like the final fantasy 7/8/9 systems, i mean, the bar fills-> you act and there are no pauses?

-the sex seems like it will be a core part of gameplay, however, is it a must through the story? im particuraly fond of doing virgin runs-then couple-slut routes and what not.

and that would be it, i do have more questions but i dont want to leave you without surprises n_n. do you have a price for a normal copy of the game already?if i'm not mistaken, this game should be on the 15 bucks or more group. with that said, ill donate 100% for this. good luck with this ambitious project.
Awesome, thanks for the support! The price will be in that range, but I haven't entirely decided. I'll post more info on that before the crowdfunding campaign starts.

As far as the gameplay goes I would kind of liken the amount of H content you'll run into as being on the level of a RoR game, so it might be hard to avoid it. What could be really cool though is a mechanic to reward you on a playthrough for trying to do so (sort of a difficulty reward). We'll see what happens!

EDIT!: Woops, forgot to answer your question about the active time system. Yep, very similar to the FF series. It won't be as advanced as 13 where multiple characters/enemies could attack *simultaneously*, but it will be like the "full active" modes from the other games.

what program are you using to create the models and engine if you dont mind me asking.
I'm using Blender for modeling/UV work, Daz Studio for setting up scenes/posing/renders, and Photoshop for texturing/post processing/painting. The game runs using RPG Maker VX Ace~

Nice, looks like 110.1 for the cyborg girl? Great looking renders. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this project.
Yeah! That guy is a beast. Making glow maps for that from jpg files was pretty time consuming, hah. I'm actually making a minidress to go with 110.1 as another armor set for the game.

You could always ask Fenoxo for support. He has quite the following, you know :eek:
I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

nintendochamp

Demon Girl
Reputation score

First on a positive note, this game looks great and sounds like it will play great. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. The character designs are awesome and it really has a unique look. I will have to see how it plays but a good first impression to be sure.

That said, I am dissapointed that there are no game over scenes. I like a healthy balance. Its not that I want to lose on purpose to get H scenes, but I find bland game overs just bland. Death game overs kind of stop the sexiness too. Losing a fight, but like getting captured and having to escape that situation sounds like a challenge and a good way to say, " Hey, maybe you shouldn't have lost that fight or prepared better." Games that go out of their way to only include H in game overs, yes I agree. Its annoying to lose over and over again.

dartred

Tentacle God
Reputation score

let me get this straight. you are creating those hot girls with blender? isn't blender a free program to boot? damn....

also the outfits are modeled through blender too?

nintendochamp

Demon Girl
Reputation score

You can do a lot with blender. I've used the tool as well. Its just less user friendly but for the most part you can pull off many of the same things.

Sangoku25

Tentacle God
Reputation score

are allso no demo to test XD

KuraScropia

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Note: This is the first place that I have announced the game, so please feel free to spread the word! If you have any recommendations on other places I could post about this please let me know!
You can try these:

This would be the closest thing to a reddit thing, it's a rank 11 reddit with a lot of subscribers

I'll try to edit with more if you need some more. You could also make a tumbler or blogspot.

I'm looking very forward to the game!

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks! You can PM me questions if you want and I can try to help.
Awesome, appreciate it. I've been figuring a lot out on my own and have built a good foundation with Yanfly, Blackmorning84, and MOG-Hunter's scripts. I am in the process of putting together a battle system which actually has some similarities with what you talk about here. The Atelier-RGSS (MOG's stuff) is pretty slick, so I will see how far that takes me. Again, I appreciate the offer for advice!

Also, I will second Hongfire as a forum to post in. I bounce back and forth between these two.

P.S. Congrats on the very positive reception your announcement is receiving. I really hope it is successful, and I believe people will pay for a game like this as the English audience really does not get a whole lot. I know I will!

SoulBreaka

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Maybe I shouldn't ask this but I am too tempted to....Got an ETA on a demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.