What's new

Would you survive?

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Would you survive?

Yes the lawyers are deep-fried, how else would you cook them. The politicians were all slow roasted on a spit with my very own barbecue sauce

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

But a car/motor vehicle only needs for one or two parts to break for it to become crap, and off-roading increases the odds of that happening, hence why there are ones specifically FOR off-roading.

Yeah, the key to the car is important. That's why I chose a bike in the first place. Doesn't need a key.

My plans modify with every day something new is introduced/taken away from my life.

No plan is ever perfectly prepared, something always goes awry. I'm planning as best I can, and will adapt accordingly as the need arises.

I never said you were unprepared, and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was leaning that way. I'm just hoping that I can give you some decent alternatives to a car, because it's not a given as to what you'll be able to get your hands on when the outbreak happens. I'd rather like to see most, if not all, the people here live :p

Even if Canada is a hotspot, it's infinitely colder up there, therefore slowing down - if not stopping - the zombies, *ahem*, cold. Not that they'd be that fast in the first place, but the slower, the better.
Plus, I already have an alternate location or two planned out if I can't get into Canada-land. It's not my be-all end-all, but it's my #1 choice.

Even without a car, nobody's screwed. It'll just take longer to get places, and you'll have to be more aware of your surroundings. If you have a car for too long, and then find you no longer can use one, you tend to feel more frightened than you should. It's human nature. You won't be used to the wailing being so loud, or the stench being so putrid, unless you're exposed for a bit.

The one thing I recommend EVERYONE has is a crowbar. Good for melee, and an almost all-purpose tool. Get a titanium one, if you can.

Yum, fried lawyer!

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Want me to bring some sauce along for those lawyers? And we better have beer up there.
But a bike also needs a part or two before it's a goner and if you stay in the car for too long it's gonna be bad anyways cause you will need to get out anyways so I don't think a calm person(if anyone can be calm at all) will freak without a car all of a sudden. And if you don't have a key to the car (which doesn't make sense since almost everyone in the U.S. should own a car) as long as you have other people around you that isn't stupid and doesn't act on their own you will be fine even if you walk. And a crowbar would be useful.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

All the stupid people should be dead fairly quickly anyway... however, a few always manage to survive.

A knife would also be very useful.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I Will Survive Zombie Parody (working title)
by Hopeyouguess62
(parody of "I Will Survive" as sung by Gloria Gaynor)

At first I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking we could never live
With zombies right outside
But then I spent so many nights
Hiding from their unholy throng
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along

And so you're back
From an evil place
I just walked in to find you here
With that blank look upon your face
I should have changed that stupid lock
And reinforced the door with chains
If I've have known for just one second
You'd be back to eat my brains

And all your mates
Failed their attacks
Just turn around now
And bring your skull to meet my axe
Weren't you the one who tried to tell me we should run
Did you think it's smart, now?
Did your zombie pals eat you for fun?
Oh no, not I

I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to hide
I know I'll stay alive
I miss all my friends who died
I have smashed the zombified
And I'll survive
I will survive, hey hey

It took all the strength I had
And an axe that's dull
No one will ever mend
The pieces of your broken skull
And I spent oh so many nights
Trying to hide to save myself
And hear the cry
Of zombie vultures in the sky

And I see you
In pools of blood
I'm not that helpless young survivor
Of an undead flood
And so you felt like dropping in
And tried to make a meal of me
But now I'm saving all my brains
To find a place that's zombie-free

So now I'll go
Sneak out the door
I'll run away now
Cause it's not safe here anymore
Bashing your head is not the happiest goodbye
But I cannot fumble
And I will not lay down and die
Oh no, not I

I will survive
I know I'll stay alive
And I'll survive
I will survive, oh

So now I'll go
Sneak out the door
I'll run away now
Cause it's not safe here anymore
Bashing your head is not the happiest goodbye
Can't afford to fumble
I have to run; I have to fly
Oh yes, and I

I will survive
I know I'll stay alive
And I'll survive
I will survive
I will survive...

edit: Oh, and a non-zombified horse would be quite helpful, providing you had adequate training is riding one.

A knife would be essential, not only for hand-to-hand combat with zombies (and possibly crazed, insane humans) but also for basic survival.

Last edited:

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay that's hilarious definately worth rep. :D

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Awesome HYG :p

A bike is just as easy to break, yes, but it's easier to replace the parts, or the bike itself. A car is a bitch to fix, if I learned anything from my first car (had to fix the axles and the drive shaft, replace the spark plugs, carburetor, muffler, and the radiator). Another car is just as easy to come by, but as you said, you need the key to it. If you find an abandoned car that isn't yours, you'd better hope the people left the keys in it.

The knife.... Yeah, it's useful. Just be sure it's a real knife, not some pocket knife BS. Though a Swiss Army Knife would come in handy, provided it had enough options on it. I saw one that had a compass, magnifying glass, scissors, and a mini-hammer (for tent stakes, apparently) once :p
Also, don't lose it in a zombie. Make sure it's a clean edge, not serrated or something.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

But if like you said, the blood turns you zombie. Then if you try to cut a zombie won't you get blood over you?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Wear a MOP suit... right Ronny?

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah MOPP gear would work, but I would rather not wear it. Having to be at MOPP level 2 for 4 months straight really made me hate it.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

No doubt... but that's not the point.

Lucky in Afghan land that we don't have NBC threats

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Well at least we had the new Jlist suits not the old charcoal suits so it wasn't too bad.

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Really now... the knife is not your zombie killing weapon. You need to get a ranged weapon and a good melee weapon, true, but the knife is much more useful for things like cutting rope, carving signs for survivors into wooden things, skinning wild animals, etc. Only in an extreme situation (i.e. cornered by zombie(s) and other melee weapon gone/broken/unusable) would you ever use the knife on a zombie, and then you'd leave it for a new knife ASAP. After all if you nick yourself with a zombie killing weapon, you're screwed.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I was thinking more along the lines of a last-resort weapon against a zombie, like in Resident Evil (the ones before 4, where it was used to get out of a hold).
That, and a decent CQC weapon against raiders.

Anything melee that's used against zombies should be treated with care, because zombie blood WILL get on it, and the blood will either splatter on you because it's a messy kill, or you will transfer it from the blade to your skin while holding/cleaning it.
Merely slicing into a zombie won't get blood on you if it's a clean cut. Hell, I've seen videos of people slice into recently-dead animals and not get any blood on the blade at all. Of course, it was always one fluid motion, no hesitating or chopping.
And no, it was not edited. Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I know one person out of the 20-odd people I've seen video tape it. No, I will not post links, because I'm a lazy bastard. Find them yourself, because I saw a few on youtube, but a bunch were on actual sites.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I know you can cut without bloodying the knife I do it all the time when I'm hunting I also worked in a slaughter house during high school. However a dead animal is much easier to do it to than a living or unliving in this case creature.

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Really my advice in most situations would be improvised, blunt weapons. Folding chairs and barstools are, I think, excellent options.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

As long as it's something you can use. I.e., if you don't have the physical strength, avoid the sledgehammer :p

Though, I'd avoid blunt weapons where possible. They'll bust someone open, yes, but it'll be messy, increasing the odds of getting splattered.

Hopeyouguess62

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sledgehammer is somewhat pointless in that situation anyway, unless you're a trained sledgehammer...man. Now a hammer, or maybe even a really heavy flashlight? Good weapon.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Too close. The blood would be sure to splatter on ya then.
If nothing else, then yes, a flashlight, because that at least has a utility purpose.

All in all, I plan to be at least an arms length or two away if I use a 'melee' weapon. Some people don't have the strength for weapons that use that length, though, so for those people, I recommend having a decent knife or short sword, something that can go in and pull out clean.
If you use a knife, try for the temple or the base of the skull in the back. The temple takes you right to the brain, while the base at the back will sever the nerves, rendering anything below the head useless. Just watch out for the teeth, and you should be fine then.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

OK... well like I said before you are not trying to kill them but to keep them away, so like I also said before why not just use a stick to keep them away? You don't need really strength to just prod at them so they fall down and if you are strong one good swip on their legs will make them fall but it might break your stick... And a blade is something I would never recommand to fight a zombie since unless you are using some light it will be heavy, but if it's light it will usually be short so like you all said, it should be a last resort against a zombie. But really now... we can out run zombies pretty much so what I like to discuss is what would you do when you are surrounded by zombies? Or rather, what would you like to have to fight against this situation.