OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Thunder in the Distance (thetwo)

Ashleys Status: HP = 32, P = 38, EP = 30

The doors are unmarked, but when Ashley goes downstairs the first unlocked door she goes through turns out to be the kitchen, including a fully stocked pantry. There are several tables and many chairs, which look like she wouldn't have any trouble moving on her own.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ashley takes a look around the back of the kitchen, making sure there's no back way out through there. Then she makes a quick note about the other closed doors on the first floor.

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

There seem to be seven doors on the first floor, one leading out into the street, another leading into the kitchen, three locked ones, one that opens into an empty room, and a last one which opens into an indoor water supply. Whoever had owned this house, they had been wealthy.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Wow, one exterior door and an indoor water supply... this place could stand a siege if there was enough food.

(Hey, who wants to spend the night at my (looted) house? :p)

(Also, I get the feeling I'm way more nervous about opening these doors then Ashley should be. Of course, there might be some disparity in the "real world" chance there's anything dangerous behind them and the "in-game" chance, so that might be justified.)

Ashley goes back upstairs and makes sure all the doors are locked, including the one she fought in if she can find a key. After all, that window's broken and I don't want any big birds getting in... Then she returns to the ground floor and opens the first locked door.

(If I could get a number of locked doors upstairs as well...)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(She just got raped, she has every right to be nervous about opening doors. Also, the pantry in the kitchen is fully stocked.)

Upstairs, all of the doors lock, and after locking and unlocking them she finds that none of them have anything apparently hostile. There are six in all, including the one in which she'd had her encounter.

Downstairs, the first door she opens reveals a suit of knights armor with a longsword and a kite shield on a stand. Apparently, this room had been dedicated to some kind of knight, possibly an ancestor of the family that had lived here. Besides that, the room is covered in murals of battles with dragons and monsters and such, but a single image catches her attention. It seems to be a knight on a horse squaring off with the daemon she'd seen earlier, the daemon surrounded by red fire while the knight charged. The murals and armor were at least a hundred years old, at Ashleys guess.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well *that* is interesting... the daemon must have some connection with the family that lived here. Perhaps that's why he was unwilling to intervene in the fight - he'd probably be killing the last surviving member of a family he knows, even if she was irrevocably twisted by the corruption in this place...

Well, holding a weapon you don't know how to use is more then just stupid, it's dangerous. And I don't want to know what a suit of armor or a shield would do to my casting, but it wouldn't be good. So lets leave this room undisturbed. And locked, for that matter. I'm not going to use that sword but someone else might, and against me.

She moves on to the second door.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The second door is a walk in closet, containing a great many sets of clothes for both men and women hanging along the walls.

Perception: Success.

Ashley spots something on the rack above the clothes, and pulls down a sealed wooden chest.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Huh. I wonder what this is? The real jewelry? A gun? Gold?

There was only one way to find out. Setting the chest down in the middle of the room, Ashley carefully opens the lid.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The chest' lid seems to be stuck, but after a tug or two Ashley gets it open, revealing a smaller box with a Su-Ku-Ta emblem, a folded letter, a small pocketknife, and a small leather bag.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ashley pockets the knife, knowing how useful such a thing can be (and being mildly embarrassed she lost her previous one), and reads the folded letter... imagining that it might shed some light on the emblem and the contents of the bag.

(no seriously, after you started me I realized I ought to have stuck a knife in my inventory from the start. :p)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(It's a box with the emblem on it.)

The letter reads;
Christos;
Ware the strangers, Nikolas sensed something evil about them when they were over a mile from town, and has devolved into a stupor since they arrived. Be on your guard, and keep these handy in case fathers fears should come true. I hope to return within a tenday, so lond as I am not delayed.
-Maria

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So... someone still owns this house afterall. And no way to tell how long ago this letter was written. Well, that's a pity.

Ashley checks the contents of the bag and chest before deciding on a larger course of action.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

She can't tell, but judging by the thick layer of dust, no one had been here in a couple of weeks at least.

The marked box contains a set of bullets, which looks to be made from silver, for a Su-Ku-Ta gun, much like her own. The sack contains a handful of coins.

(Gain 50 bullets, and 20 denarii, along with the knife.)

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As she closes the chest, Ashley notices the layer of dust and realizes that whenever this letter was written, she needent worry about the writer showing up. At least not based on the information in the letter - she could still come for some other reason.

Satisfied, Ashley moves on to the final unexplored room on the first floor.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The final door on the first floor opens to reveal a set of stairs leading down into a dark basement.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Perfect. An even more defensible place to spend a night, if I need to. But I suppose I ought to make sure there's nothing down there, first...

Still a little jumpy from her experience upstairs, Ashley conjures a small ball of light and sends it down ahead of her to light the room.

(lamplight, level 1 light spell.)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Casting: Hulk Lazy, and you succeed on a roll of 1 anyway.

The basement seems to be completely empty, save for a massive spiderweb in the middle of the room.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bah, spiders. I hate spiders.

Ashley looks for a loose rock or similar to toss at the huge web.

(When you say huge web... do you mean like a regular sized web that's just stretched between ceiling and floor, or do you mean "wrist-thick cords"...?)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(Wrist thick cords type stuff, though they're only about as thick as your pinky finger.)

Ashley picks up a bauble, and tosses it into the web near the bottom of the stairs. It sticks, but the web doesn't move.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hrm... I suppose it could be that nobody's home. Still, a more through search is in order before I do something silly like sleep down here. Somehow I don't think I'd like to be surprised by whatever made that web.

Speaking of sleep... I should see if I can find another room with a mattress before I leave.

Ashley leaves the basement, letting her light wink out as she clears the door. After a moment's thought she closes and locks the door behind her, and moves upstairs, intent on finding a bedroom that has a not-torn-up bed and intact outer wall.

(Or... at least that's the plan.)