What's new

The Reputation Hilarity/Insanity thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: The Reputation Hilarity/Insanity thread

I posted in this thread when I first joined (3 years ago) just to get my post count up.
Not really sure what the purpose of this thread is, but ok. Here's my neutral reputation. :p
I got both one positive ("Because I can.") and one negative ("hilarious") rep from posting that. I was pretty clueless about the whole point of the thread. I just wanted to be able to post links so I could start my game's thread. I didn't actually have much use for the forum aside from that. If memory serves, I thought people were just posting there to request the type of reputation they wanted, rather than posting/discussing reputation notes they'd been given.

Aside from those, one of the more unusual reps I've been given is a neutral reputation with this note: "Paladox is an awesome game developer"
(Edit: I know why now. Answer found in the FAQ.)

I've never actually asked or looked into whether reputation actually does anything. I'm thinking it's mostly just so other members can look and see whether you're generally liked or disliked.

Can you get multiple reputation positives or negatives on the same post? I know you can get multiple kinds on the same post.

If I had it to do over with I would have probably not made the game thread yet and just casually posted around the forum (without revealing why) until I got enough posts to make links.
Telling people that you're posting just to make links does not go over very well. :p

Here's a negative rep I got from someone who stalked my posts:
"spamming to post links... sad." Hey! My solution to that puzzle/riddle was completely legitimate! At least in my opinion (and my answer would still be the same).
Which is why I'm thinking you can't get more than one negative (or positive) rep on the same post. Could be wrong though.

Well I just decided to read the FAQ about reputation. I'm surprised that there's actually information about the reputation system in the FAQ. Well that told me a couple things I didn't know. Does anyone else want to read it? I'm sure you'd like to, but are entirely too lazy to look it up yourself. Not that there's anything wrong with that. So here it is:
What is reputation?

Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.

Reputation may be positive Positive Reputation Icon , negative Negative Reputation Icon or neutral Neutral Reputation Icon. Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.
That explains the neutral rep.
How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.

What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.
I bet some members would quit asking to have their accounts deleted if they knew how to hide their rep.

It didn't actually answer my question about multiple positives/negatives on the same post though.

That said, I haven't found a single member on the forum with severe (4+ bars) negative rep that also has quality or "able to be taken seriously" posts.

Feel free to give contrary examples, of course.
I don't know what other areas he's been dabbling in, but Meh runs the Patreon list and he has a hefty chunk of negative rep (6 bars, currently).

Last edited:

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

To answer your question, you can receive multiple reps on a single post from multiple people, but a single account can only rep a single post once.

Ex: If I wanted to I could only rep the post above me once. If I wanted to give you more rep, positive or negative, I would need to find some other post, and even then I would need to give a number of other people some rep.

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

I saw a guy here with -11 bars of rep, his signature is "haters gonna hate :)".
The infamous title is great, but it doesn't have levels beyond that like the positive ones. The last one on a positive is "has a reputation beyond repute" which is 11 bars and beyond. 6000+ or something

People do take you seriously with negative rep but it's like once they see that they assume your a troll. Reputation is more like a popularity contest but it's only important if you think it's important. So don't sweat it and be yourself.

Be warned there are trolls with positive bars. :p

Zepheral

Reputation score

lol, watch who you trust in these forums, they might throw you under the bus so they can get an edge. Keep your nose clean and be 3 steps ahead. :D
Keep your wits about you, true tests never end.

stoper

Sex Demon
Reputation score

The rep system in this forum is a complete joke.
I even contacted a mod a couple of moths ago and they told me I can use it to anonymously insult people as much as I want. Because there's no rule against it.

Zepheral

Reputation score

I even contacted a mod a couple of moths ago and they told me I can use it to anonymously insult people as much as I want. Because there's no rule against it.
True but that type of crap can mess up someone who has a mental disorder. That's why I refrain from spreading hate to people. Unless they are being ignorant then I prefer trolling them, then to neg rep them and that crap stays on their account. :(

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

lol, watch who you trust in these forums, they might throw you under the bus so they can get an edge. Keep your nose clean and be 3 steps ahead. :D
Keep your wits about you, true tests never end.
Jesus, it's just a bunch of nerds jacking it to hentai, it's not the fucking Roman Senate. :p

Zepheral

Reputation score

Jesus, it's just a bunch of nerds jacking it to hentai, it's not the fucking Roman Senate. :p
Damn it craw, can I least sound bad ass for once? XD

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Oh, all right. :rolleyes:

In the game of rep, you either win or become so ashamed you ask them to delete your account. :cool:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It's a true measure of one's being to see what he does when there are no consequences tied to their actions. Sure. You can be a douche and insult everyone in rep, but it says things about you and your mental state

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Someone must have been insulted when I suggested that investing in the British pound might be a good idea (when it's really low). They gave me a negative rep and said, "Woah there boy".

Sounds like something the queen would say if Hillary went in for a kiss. :D

Edit:
And now a negative was given for this post:
"I'm just going to assume this is a racist sentiment about Obama."

You guys are right. The trolls are real. :p
The Roman Senate strikes again!

I'll change my previous statement from Obama to Hillary. Is that more to your liking?

Edit 2: And another for "doublepost"
Fair enough, maybe. Post removed and content added to this one.

Edit 3: You know, that does open my eyes that I've been posting too much here in the "Everything Else" section. So.. thanks?
And I forgive you unnamed individuals for drawing nonsense on my reputation page with your sharpies. :)

Last edited:

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's just a rep system meant for a little social feedback, just relax a bit dude. As said before, doesn't really matter :p

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yes but unlike the average person I waste way too much time thinking about forum replies. I finally finished editing my previous post after about 45 minutes.
45 minutes?! That's insane, so, yes, I do indeed waste too much time on the "everything else" section. :p

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

There's some people around here with a mid-school maturity level and large rep power, so expect dumbass neg-reps.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

No clue, nobody will give me mod powers (hint hint, I promise I won't take over the forum or anything :D ) or tell me who's sent reps.

Zepheral

Reputation score

YES HELLO IS THIS ABOUT ME.

BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS.
Yes It's always about you smoke, you silly fish. But seriously slicer is right, some people aren't evolve enough to get past that high school mentality. I blame the schools. :p

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

No clue, nobody will give me mod powers (hint hint, I promise I won't take over the forum or anything :D ) or tell me who's sent reps.
Nobody will give you mod powers because you're a cunt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.