What's new

RPG Patreon Active RPG Maker [SweGabe] Legend of Queen Opala: Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquareEnix

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Legend of Queen Opala: Origin

There are a whole bunch of links to it on different DDL sites. I don't have one handy right now, but I'll go looking later.

This game is being developed on a 10-year plan at the pace Gabe is going. Every new update mainly goes back and packs additional illustrations into areas you've already visited, and then once in a while one advances the plot by a millimeter.

The way it's mapped out seems really confined too. I'd say it's working toward the opposite of "a mile wide and an inch deep", but the way things are shaping up, it looks more like it'll be an inch wide and and an inch deep, but with a cubic mile of poorly planned and poorly utilized content stuffed in it.

Edit: Here
That's how you make money when you don't have a job. I noticed most of the people I used to follow pre patreon/w/e were hard workers and worked fast. then after they get money from some site from people, they fucking chill and put out bugfixes or typos once every week or two and cash in. Think about it, at a regular job everyday you have to work and every hour is money. There is 7 days in a week, it seems they take 2 hours once a week to casually look at the shit they promised to make and make small changes, and do whatever they want and fuck around with your money after. I tried making an rpg maker game and that shit would not have taken me 2 years to make, if I sat down for a good week and put in at least 8 hours a day I'd have a pretty legit short game (pictures and all), but I wouldn't do that if I could abuse the people that support me and stretch that shit out so I can make money without having to actually work.

If I sound salty, its because i'm definitely over seasoned. Lookit breeding season, all we got in the end is a nonfinished game for however long that took. I think he bought a fucking apartment or house or w/e with the peoples money. Before I'd check fenoxo's site for updates on coc almost every single day and he was fast. then he made a kickstartr or w/e and promised all this shit he didn't do, he just shared it with his friends and didn't get the people he needed to work on the milestones he put. and even if he said he has a lot of people look at how productive that's been, his work ethic didn't get faster because he had the backing of thousands of dollars, it got slower because he got thousands of dollars hahaha.

If you think anything I said is technically wrong, please do say so, so I know what to say next time. Also this rant does kind of relate to the thread because I'm also mad at Gabe.

Oh and I'm not mad I'm getting these games for #free but the ethics and the abuse and manipulation of it all really makes me pissed. I feel sorry for the people who give money by patreon or kickstartr or whatever and then find out the douche used the money to build a house or make mighty number 9. I could seriously find a bunch of articles of people taking the money and running or stretching their shit out but you have google so you can find out for yourself.

Last edited:

NaoSoul

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Honestly, Legend of Queen Opala is just an average RPG Maker game using ordinary assets and with no feature script or unusual mechanic.

The dev doesn't even do all the artwork himself. There is no excuse for the development of this game being so slow considering the number of patreons. This is his job.

I'd even say this is worse than Akabur. At least he has to code the stuff.

Last edited:

loopy

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

The first Episode wasn't released that far from the deadline, actually (i think a few months from the one year per episode plan), the second is taking more time, I don't know how much though. I think it'll be released in this year though.
Thanks for the link anyway loopy :D
Well, it was actually well over 6 months late due to "bangings" in Gabe's apartment complex that prevented any work from getting done from like February to August of last year. Going by the blog, development officially started sometime around February of 2014. Episode 1 was completed around September of 2015, and over two years in it doesn't look like Episode 2 will be out any time in the near future. When we left episode 1, we were in Brightstone and had just found what's-his-name dead. A year later, we can leave Brightstone to go to a meeting, and then head south a bit for a look around.

I don't think Gabe plans very far into the future for anything but tits. The main development methodologies are scope creep, wedging features and content into a framework/codebase that's been around since the original game, and planning the next task right before it needs to start. But we know there are like 10 women whose huge tits (and one beasty chick with small ones) we haven't seen in-game yet that have to be worked into the plot somehow.

Right now the entire world is 3-5 "zones" depending on how you count, and they're all tiny. The game seriously feels like it's boxing you in at every step. And I'm pretty sure Gabe has said the game will visit other continents and even Egypt, which is another world. All of that either has to happen yet or be discarded. Maybe those locations won't be important. Maybe they'll just be shoehorned into events you can blow through in 5 minutes, but that would disappointing in its own right.

At this pace, the only way Episode 2 will be released before next year is if Gabe just throws up his hands and calls it Episode 2 after the plot has another development or two. The full game will be out in 2018-2019, and it's looking like there's every chance it will just fade to black at some point because it's got to end somehow.

I'm not mad. Seriously. I just don't think this game should be supported at the level it is. Gabe is apparently milking it. And even if you overlook that it's still just mostly stock RPG Maker assets and features used to gloss over the fact that the principle gameplay mechanic is trying to figure out where the naughty pictures drawn by other artists are hidden. For example, that safe mechanic was a real innovation. Everybody in this world is so damn stupid they split up their combinations into 4 individual digits and hide them right next to the safe in pot plants and desks. I wonder how long that took to implement, when it's essentially just sticking the illustration on the floor.

Thesale

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Oh yes this game is definitely getting milked by Gabe. I agree with people who said that he/she isn't even the full creator of the game and with this the game should be at least 70% finished. I mean getting 7k $ a month isn't a small ammount of money for not getting any work done for 2 years. But if people still want to continue spending their money on a person who isn't even trying and is using them and not giving their money's worth in return, then let them.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Honestly, Legend of Queen Opala is just an average RPG Maker game using ordinary assets and with no feature script or unusual mechanic.

The dev doesn't even do all the artwork himself. There is no excuse for the development of this game being so slow considering the number of patreons. This is his job.

I'd even say this is worse than Akabur. At least he has to code the stuff.
I'm just happy it has western artwork, since I'm not too into most of the artwork other RPGmaker devs use out there.

Perfeccia Ars

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I still laugh everytime I remember that this game funded a "live action movie".

Christ you could use that money to get out of RPGMaker in a heartbeat.

shruikaan

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Well, it was actually well over 6 months late due to "bangings" in Gabe's apartment complex that prevented any work from getting done from like February to August of last year. Going by the blog, development officially started sometime around February of 2014. Episode 1 was completed around September of 2015, and over two years in it doesn't look like Episode 2 will be out any time in the near future. When we left episode 1, we were in Brightstone and had just found what's-his-name dead. A year later, we can leave Brightstone to go to a meeting, and then head south a bit for a look around.

I don't think Gabe plans very far into the future for anything but tits. The main development methodologies are scope creep, wedging features and content into a framework/codebase that's been around since the original game, and planning the next task right before it needs to start. But we know there are like 10 women whose huge tits (and one beasty chick with small ones) we haven't seen in-game yet that have to be worked into the plot somehow.

Right now the entire world is 3-5 "zones" depending on how you count, and they're all tiny. The game seriously feels like it's boxing you in at every step. And I'm pretty sure Gabe has said the game will visit other continents and even Egypt, which is another world. All of that either has to happen yet or be discarded. Maybe those locations won't be important. Maybe they'll just be shoehorned into events you can blow through in 5 minutes, but that would disappointing in its own right.

At this pace, the only way Episode 2 will be released before next year is if Gabe just throws up his hands and calls it Episode 2 after the plot has another development or two. The full game will be out in 2018-2019, and it's looking like there's every chance it will just fade to black at some point because it's got to end somehow.

I'm not mad. Seriously. I just don't think this game should be supported at the level it is. Gabe is apparently milking it. And even if you overlook that it's still just mostly stock RPG Maker assets and features used to gloss over the fact that the principle gameplay mechanic is trying to figure out where the naughty pictures drawn by other artists are hidden. For example, that safe mechanic was a real innovation. Everybody in this world is so damn stupid they split up their combinations into 4 individual digits and hide them right next to the safe in pot plants and desks. I wonder how long that took to implement, when it's essentially just sticking the illustration on the floor.
Sorry, but if Episode 1 was released in Sept 15, how is episode 2 in development for two years? You're right on the content of the beta, that was my fault, I didn't play anything after Episode One. It'll be released next year or later for sure.
On Episode 1, it's true that it got 6 months. I wasn't defending Gabe, but that happened for the second game as well, there were a lot of delays in the various releases. I just meant that the delay in the first episode wasn't that different from the other times, though it's true that considering how little is done so far in Episode 2, that Gabe seems to be milking this thing, since the delay this time on the one year development per game will be much bigger.

it doesn't matter to me since I don't pay, and with the full release being free people can choose to just wait for it. While I understand why you think the support of the game might be exaggerated, but it's their choice in spending their money like that.

I played the beta though, and the
conversation with Osira makes me hopeful that there'll be route to support her, though the slow development makes counters my optimism. It is interesing though that Osira is apparently very similar to Illumi, in both body and voice, and now that I think of the portraits and the expressions are similar, Osira seems to know her as well, or so it's implied by her reaction.
I do wonder what they'll do with the Serpent God, since Osira apparently seem to be against it.

loopy

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I said "over two years in" meaning into overall development, not two years since September 2015. Episode 2 isn't a stand-alone release, so I don't even count "episodes" as being anything other than development milestones.

Yeah, people can still give money if they want. It's their choice. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't occasionally point out that it's a bad one.

Last edited:

SquareEnix

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I said "over two years in" meaning into overall development, not two years since September 2015. Episode 2 isn't a stand-alone release, so I don't even count "episodes" as being anything other than development milestones.

Yeah, people can still give money if they want. It's their choice. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't occasionally point out that it's a bad one.
Yeah, I agree people can give money to whoever they want, but I just want the creator to not abuse the trust and money of the people that support them, looking at Claires quest recently, they made changes to where instead of MONTHLY they did it per MAJOR update! They did it because they didn't feel that taking the payment without substantial content made them feel bad or something. Whereas some make fucking typo fixes or "Bugfix" and wait for the month to come up to get the monthly check. Good on you Claires quest. I just wish there was someone on youtube or something who could address this stuff and make people aware of what's going on. I would but I work a lot and when I get home I just want to chill till I go to work again haha. Then again, maybe nobody cares, and that's okay for them. I feel bad for them because they probably worked hard for that money, but w/e.

Combustion Man

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

My two cents in the conversation :

I'm not paying ant cent.
It doesn't seems like anyone talking about the delay, in the last two pages is supporting the game either.

So, my opinion is we don't have anything to complain about.

About the game, even if it's basic RPGMaker stuff and the artwork isn't the best to my taste, it's pretty good, better than the first two episodes, the storyline is very interesting, there is a fair amount of side quests.

Well, there is no way i'm going to support this game for many reasons, still, it's an interesting project.

loopy

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I've contributed to Gabe's Patreon. If that's your barrier to having a right to criticize, it's no problem for me.

It's almost exactly the same game as the second one, and it's very similar to the first one. The same enemies are in it, because venturing beyond stock resources would be hard. And Gabe takes pride in not knowing how to write scripts in RPG Maker because limiting your tool set makes you tricksy, I guess. That means everything is hung off the event system, aside from a couple of scripts borrowed from other people (the Blacksmiths mainly). Development continues in XP because upgrading would mean having to learn something new instead of being able to leverage the last game's code. That's why galleries and shit are still tied to items that you can buy infinite times despite only needing one, and the menus in them are slow, cumbersome and sometimes fiddly.

A good example of stagnancy and laziness is the "Sprint Shoes" or whatever that don't work worth a damn. Gabe can't implement something more robust, so the shoes are just an event copied and pasted to every map where it's allowed. Which is why you can only sprint outside. The interiors are hundreds of individual maps that would all need that event copied onto them. The event doesn't filter input properly, so the "sprint" flag/value toggles on and off several times whenever you press the button. This leads to a more or less indeterminate state depending on how quickly the button is depressed and released by the user, and it can take several tries to get the right outcome every time you try to activate or deactivate the feature. This code is lifted more or less unchanged in each iteration of the series, because "fuck it", I guess. It's a problem already solved by hundreds of game developers, but no point in learning something.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Those are fair criticisms. Not much else to add, tbh.

Predator

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

My only "complain" is that I can't get the beastman-gameplay with the eastern-artstyle FeelsBadMan.

loopy

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

It's 3663, but the only purpose of that mirror is to play a scene that was inserted into the game sort of late. It's only there for people who had saves at the end of the previous beta, and who had already gone through the series of events the scene was part of. If you're playing from the beginning, or doing a new game+ or something else, the mirror shouldn't work. I wouldn't chance entering the code unless you're pretty sure you missed the scene, just in case there's a bug.

IIRC, there are no CGs in it. It's just a discussion in the woods that is supposed to take place after you escape the Gathering.

boyo111

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Looking over the past couple of pages of the thread I see a lot of angst going on. Some at Gabe but a lot more whinging at other Patreon games. I can't defend Gabe at the progress, honestly I gave up checking the weekly blog updates months ago since I don't pledge, but Opala 1 & 2 were fairly solid. Origin looks to be more expansive, and for the quality that Gabe generates I'd give a little leeway and not compare her work to that of some other more recent "failures" as seen delivered.

Every dev and game is different, and there are plenty of people more than willing to wait for the games. Personally, as far as I see it, unless you are pledging for the game, you don't really have much of a leg to complain on. The game will come when it does. Gabe does deliver Betas, and her supporters find that sufficient, good for them.

I support a completely different game, and I am willing to be patient for Origins. I enjoyed 1 & 2 and liked the early releases of Origin so far. As in everything, if you don't like it, don't bother with it, there are plenty of RPG or Unity platforms out there to play with.

Preda

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

1.09 is out and I didnt recover my savegame. Fuuuuuck I have to play everything from the beginning.

I should start saving my H-files :mad:

loopy

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Here's my second-to-last save file. It should be from before the new scenes.

Looking at the change list, there's not a lot of point in recovering a save really, aside from levels and such that can be cheated in. There's one new scene, which is found pretty easily and there's not much to it, and the new music is nice. I think there are 2 new illustrations, maybe? They may have been added in the last version. I know I couldn't find anyone with a Black Dame starter card, and I just gave up because I couldn't be bothered to figure out which previously cleared map had new stuff on it. Then there was the possibility the counts were just planning for the future or there was a bug. Turns out it was a random guy on the bridge south of Brightstone. Maybe 1.08 had the illustrations in too. Who knows.

The main addition is the new Beast mode, which requires a replay or the Orb if you want to see it.

Evidently Gabe saw my complaint about the sprint function, or somebody passed it along. You still can't sprint in interiors, and it still toggles on and off if you hold the key down too long. I'm guessing he just upped a delay in the event logic (everywhere), but it's a good try.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.