What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Random movie talky stuff.

Well... it can't be any worse than twilight... right?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I find it amusing because I think Pattinson might be able to do something decent with his career.

Enter

*Edit*

Just watched the movie Drive. Ryan Gosling did a pretty good job portraying the loner, but despite what the trailer shows this is a very slow paced movie. Think David Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" level of pacing of brutality. Great flick, with good acting. Just don't expect to sit down and expect blood flying everywhere within five minutes.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Found something I was looking for. I was going to comment when I mentioned seeing the Avengers that I had something running through my head the entire time I was watching it but I couldn't find the pic. Then a friend shared it on facebook again and I was able to steal it.

Yes, I'm a geek. No, I am not ashamed.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That is funny shit. I love it.

Went and saw Chernobyl Diaries last night, and for what it was, I rather enjoyed it. The characters are actually fairly intelligent for a "flesh eating mutants" horror flick. What actually surprised me was how they handled the mutants in the movie... you never see them clearly until the very end. Just flashes and silhouettes throughout. As to the gore, pretty gory flick but it doesn't focus on it much. As such it only got a 14A rating here in Canada (But so did Saving Private Ryan), still I think it helps separate this flick from the hordes of other monster movies.

There's also some other elements, such as wild dogs and radiation, but nothing felt really over the top, which was refreshing.

Towards the end it started to get a bit predictable, but that's in any eat the fodder type horror movies these days. Still enjoyable, and a fresh setting. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys those films of cheap thrills.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I was browsing youtube today, something I rarely do, looking at the movie trailers and The Amazing Spiderman actually looks pretty good. The others weren't bad per-say, but I was let down. The biggest thing to me was that spiderman wasn't the wise-ass that I had hoped for, and that's my favorite part about spidey!

And it didn't help that they gave him the ability to shoot webs as part of the mutation, instead of having him build his web-slingers. I mean, sure it seems like some kind of nitpicky bullshit (who am I kidding, I'm a big spiderman fanboy, of course it's nitpicky bullshit), but what's the first thing you notice about spiderman? He's swinging through New-York on webs. It's an integral part of the character that was mostly perserved, but there was absoloutley no reason (aside from 'wanting to make it THEIRS' or 'wanting to put a new twist on it') to change HOW spiderman shot webbing. Though with this movie it seems like they're giving in and using the web-slingers, so that's an instant step up in my mind.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Dunno which trailer you were watching for Spidey, Splicer, but the one I saw in front of Avengers has him confronting a street thug, who pulls a small flip-open hunting type knife out and he starts "quivering in fear" "Oh my god, you found my one weakness! Tiny knives!" (then he webs him to the wall)

And wayback, when they first came out with the first Spidey movie, Stan Lee actually agreed that the "mutation" thing was a good idea, rather than have this kid manage to not only build the web-slingers, but also design the formula for the solution as well. Granted, yes, Parker is supposed to be a genius, but personally, I think it's a good narrative device that works, myself.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Dunno which trailer you were watching for Spidey, Splicer, but the one I saw in front of Avengers has him confronting a street thug, who pulls a small flip-open hunting type knife out and he starts "quivering in fear" "Oh my god, you found my one weakness! Tiny knives!" (then he webs him to the wall)

And wayback, when they first came out with the first Spidey movie, Stan Lee actually agreed that the "mutation" thing was a good idea, rather than have this kid manage to not only build the web-slingers, but also design the formula for the solution as well. Granted, yes, Parker is supposed to be a genius, but personally, I think it's a good narrative device that works, myself.
Splicer was talking about the Tobey Maguire movie's not having enough wise assery. The new one looks pretty good.

Though I myself do like the idea of the web slinging being part of a mutation, rather than being built.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Splicer was talking about the Tobey Maguire movie's not having enough wise assery. The new one looks pretty good.

Though I myself do like the idea of the web slinging being part of a mutation, rather than being built.
Ah, misread, then. Apologies. I only ever saw the first one. The other two sort of fell under the radar for me and from what I've heard, I wasn't missing much.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I liked the second one, the third... how do you fuck up Venom?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Apparently the screenwriter for Spider-Man 3 knows...

Lurker
Reputation score

What I had heard was that Sam Rami was on track with number 3 and venom was no where near it, and then Sony insisted that the character be included. So Sam redid the entire film as a giant middle finger to Sony, which is why it has five musical numbers and is largely considered horseshit.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Thus far I got Bison, Bowser, Robotnik, Clyde, Zangief (or however it's spelled), the last boss of Ergist, and I'm guessing the zombie is a House of the Dead reference (the duel axes are the cue).

EDIT: And apparrently robo-biker dude next to the zombie is Kano.

Last edited:

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The only one I can add is Cyrax, who like Kano is from Mortal Kombat. He's the yellow robot with the saw blade sitting next to Clyde. At least I think it's Cyrax I could be wrong since it's been a while since I've played a game in that series.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Goddamn, that film looks amazing. I cannot wait for it to come out.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually, I don't think that's Cyrax. It's too...bulky. The robots were supposed to be ninja-like. I can't see the devil guy near Zangheif well enough, though it might be the end boss from Ghosts and Goblins? Nor can I see the chick well enough to know what she's from. I guess big clues would be that they're arcade villains? Since all of those were arcade games at one time.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah he does seem kind of bulky and I don't remember Cyrax having a grabby claw instead of a hand. Still, I don't remember any other arcade games with a yellow robot with a saw blade, so I said it.

I'm more interested in Q-bert to be honest with ya, I loved that game.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

The ghost from Pac-Man.
Lurker already said Clyde

the last boss of Ergist
...Who? And which one are they?

I can't see the devil guy near Zangheif well enough, though it might be the end boss from Ghosts and Goblins?
The end boss of GnG is , or possibly , neither of whom are the guy in the scene. You might have meant the or , which he does look like in the long-shot, but there's a closer view of him when Ralph is speaking, and the devil is clearly different. He kinda looks like Horny decked out in bling, but Dungeon Keeper isn't an arcade game at any rate.

Currently outstanding characters: The green Malboro-looking thing that might actually be a malboro, the purple slightly-armoured rhino (tentatively from Altered Beast), the yellow robot that’s possibly Cyrax, but bears a stronger similarity to Saw Hand from Cyborg Justice; the blue girl, and the red demon.

All that movie needs is an explicit Only You Can Save Mankind reference, and we're set. As it is, I'll definitely see it. Though, who the hell is that purple rhino? I recognise it, but can't place it, and I don't think it's the Altered Beast enemy that some sites are saying it is.

Eye

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I liked the second one, the third... how do you fuck up Venom?
By not wanting to have Venom in your movie but the studio forcing him in while you had already decided on the newest Goblin and Sandman as your main villains. If Venom was removed with the film, along with Gwen Stacy, the film would have been far stronger and Raimi could have actually gotten to show is true vision. Also, saw the trailer for the new Spider-Man movie Sony is shoving out so they don't lose the rights to making Spider-Man films, looks like ass and the joking Spidey does in the trailers are god awful and unfunny, trying way too hard and feeling more like a teenage Deadpool. Doesn't help that there's heavy implications that his origin is being completely re-written to add a lame mystery element and the special effects look god awful. Observe.

Our villain, a super Goomba.

In other news, I have yet to see the Avengers because money, but at least it's doing fantastically well.

This baby has just bent Batman and Harry Potter over a barrel and showed them the 50 states, while it's getting close to the top 30 highest grossing films adjusted for inflation. So basically, it really sucks to be The Dark Knight Rises, cause they aren't beating that thanks to the last Batman films having little to no support outside the states.

Lurker
Reputation score

There is a group of people that is, or at least says they are, planning to avoid the spiderman movie no matter how good it is. This is because if Spiderman does poorly enough Sony won't make another film. Then Marvel gets the rights back and Spidey gets to be an avenger. The same plan holds for the Fantastic Four (which may be defaulting back to marvel soon depending on whether or not they've got a film in progress) and X-men.