What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Random movie talky stuff.

Now... if Ridley had just wanted to make it PG-13 sure, it's his movie. But stepping up and going "Make it PG-13" is just a dick move. They're trying to get more sales because PG-13 tends to sell better than R. However, I don't think a PG-13 alien movie will sell as well as an R rated one.

So... this just means I'll be waiting for the director's cut.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

That would be a very interesting directors cut...

Lurker
Reputation score

Just came back from Captain America. I enjoyed it, and they've got a teaser for the avengers after the film that's really good at what it does. It was a very good film, or at least a film I greatly enjoyed. The casting was pretty spot on, and if your the sort of person who enjoys that sort of thing, Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos feature pretty heavily in the second half of the film. The end felt a little weak, but that teaser makes up for it.

I didn't get what I asked for...

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Kusanagi said:
Word of warning: Most of this movie is dark. Lighting-wise. It has its light scenes, but a lot of it is dark. Dark dark dark daOMFGHOLYSHITWHOTURNEDONTHELIGHTSOMFGMYEYESTHELIGHTYOUFUCKINGASSHOLESAREYOUTRYINGTOBLINDMEJESUSCHRIdark dark dark.
lurker said:
In the Grimdark Grimdark of the Grimdark Grimdark, there is only Grimdark?
I attack the darkness!
You are likely to be eaten by a Grue...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Copper doesn't believe in a thing called love?

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Just listen to the rhythm of Cop's heart...

E

Exofluke

I know Ridley has the talent in him to produce a great film regardless of the rating, but how far can gore and sex go with PG-13?

Now and days it does seem that they can reach far beyond our 1980's imaginations. If I'm correct, a PG-13 film can contain a minimum of one "fuck" in the dialog. That says a lot.

I read that this new film is supposed to be a trilogy. Is that's true, then hopefully fox will pull their heads out of their asses and make Rs for the last two.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

So I saw Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 on the weekend, and I have to say it was pretty damn amazing. Though Ku is right, the lighting in much of it is incredibly dark.

One thing that did annoy me slightly is the way they rushed over Fred's death. But with Percy cut from the film they couldn't have done the original scene from the book so I guess I understand why they did it.

Amongst the trailers shown before the film looked really good.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Amongst the trailers shown before the film looked really good.
Oh god yes.

Also, while we're on the subject -
Behind the scenes - ^

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

One thing that did annoy me slightly is the way they rushed over Fred's death. But with Percy cut from the film they couldn't have done the original scene from the book so I guess I understand why they did it.
Wait, I'm sorry... WHAT?!?!? That was one of the most heartfelt moments, with what a certain relative did in retaliation!

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Wait, I'm sorry... WHAT?!?!? That was one of the most heartfelt moments, with what a certain relative did in retaliation!
Are you sure you're talking about the same scene I am? It was a montage of shots, I believe when Voldemort was calling Harry out as a coward hiding behind his friends and allies as they sacrificed themselves for his safety. Fred's death was shown for about five seconds max, a Death Eater was standing above him as Fred slumped against a wall and slid down. I wasn't talking about the scene after where Ron collapses onto Fred and cries.

In the book however Percy Weasley is in the fight at Hogwarts, makes a joke, Fred comments on it and while he's caught offguard a Death Eater gets him with the killing curse I believe. Like I said, I was slightly annoyed that they changed it but to speed things up I can see why they did it.

And while we're still on the subject of deaths in Harry Potter I feel the films portrated Hedwig's and Dobby's deaths well. They certainly got to me.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

No, no, no... I meant in the book. NOT the movie. Haven't seen the movie yet. But yeah, those two moments in the first movie definitely were handled well.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Oh right. I thought you meant it as if I was wrong about the scene in the movie.

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

SirOni? Wrong? Ha.

Hopefully I will get to see Harry Potter the Final soon...

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Dear Hollywood,

Would you f'ing stop already? Please? See that dead horse over there? It's getting really sick of you beating it. Or raping it. However you choose to see it.

Personally, I don't really have much of an issue with the "gay sub-plot" (as someone coined it) as I do with:

A. IT'S ANOTHER FUCKING REMAKE. I mean, I can understand wanting kids and young people that came after my generation (all things considered, my generation's kids) to be able to enjoy the movies that we've dubbed classics, but they're classics FOR A REASON. Course, they're remaking everything else. Why not, y'know, just start at the beginning. "Horse in Motion" and go from there. Or, well, in this crazy age of instant gratification, might want to jump to "The Jazz Singer," so, y'know, we can hear voices with our moving pictures.

B. It's rumored to be Rob Schnider, David Spade, and Chris Rock...directed/produced by Adam Sandler. I'm sorry, can we throw Tracey Morgan in there and just have ALL the men in Hollywood that I don't find all that funny in one movie? Chris Rock is, possibly, the slight exception to that, but my god... Maybe they're your cup of tea, I don't know, but that...that list right there is my main reason for not going to see the thing when it comes out or, well, ever really. Wait, I know, let's just substitute Morgan for Rock and I'm good!

[/soapbox] *sigh* I'm going to bed, where I can go back to my zombie nightmares. At least they've got an original plot...

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Are... are they SERIOUSLY going with the "three ships vs. three ships in a contained area" concept? Are they FUCKING RETARDED? WHAT? WHAT?! *starts twitching and foaming at the mouth* And what Is LIAM NEESON doing in this PIECE OF SHIT?!

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

A. IT'S ANOTHER FUCKING REMAKE. I mean, I can understand wanting kids and young people that came after my generation (all things considered, my generation's kids) to be able to enjoy the movies that we've dubbed classics, but they're classics FOR A REASON. Course, they're remaking everything else. Why not, y'know, just start at the beginning. "Horse in Motion" and go from there. Or, well, in this crazy age of instant gratification, might want to jump to "The Jazz Singer," so, y'know, we can hear voices with our moving pictures.
Gotta say, that sometimes remakes turn out rather well. I rather enjoyed Zack Snyder's rendition of Dawn of the Dead, and 300 as well (considering the original Graphic Novel was originally based on the movie 'the 300 Spartans' its... kind of a remake).

There's also Francis Ford Coppala's version of Dracula (though I think that may be a second adaptation attempt than a true remake), John Carpenter's The Thing (you ever seen the original? It was a giant plant that looked like a human), the recent miniseries Day of the Triffids, the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

But anyway... that's my whole point. A remake in and of itself is not a bad thing. It's just unfortunate that most of the time they are not handled with any care.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

the recent miniseries Day of the Triffids
...Wait, what?

...Oh gods. If they've actually make it faithful to the book rather than the way the first movie made it, you can find me hiding behind the couch.