What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Random movie talky stuff.

Ah, so they're mermaids. I thought they were sirens, given that I saw them pulling the guys into the water in the trailer. Friend saw it, but we haven't talked about it, to avoid spoiler stuffs.

Saw Priest yesterday, finally, It was a'ite. Lot of "travel" shots to show just how desolate and lonely the landscape was. Y'know, the kind of stuff that they could cut down on and make the movie even shorter than it was? (Clocked in at barely an hour and a half as it is.) The action scenes were pretty good, though there was one I found myself rolling my eyes at. I liked the design of the vampires and I liked the characters overall, even the villain. Wasn't as Hunter-ish as I thought from the trailers, but it was still a decent enough flick. Reminded me a little of the old John Wayne flick "The Searchers," in some aspects of it. Saw it matinee and will probably catch it at the dollar theater with my other friend, then that will probably be it.
Well, sirens were originally more akin physically to harpies than mermaids. They only started to look the same in the past couple centuries with the mixing of various myths and legends. Also, Sirens generally only lured sailors to crash into rocks, where as mermaids used to drag sailors down into the depths... sometimes because they forgot humans couldn't breathe.

Priest was a fairly decent movie. I enjoyed it at the cheap theatre as a popcorn flick and nothing more. It could have been so much better I thought, they have a lot of story set up they could have expanded into.

Also, I find it amusing that Paul Bettony plays the main character, a priest, seeing as he is an atheist and played Charles Darwin (And St. Michael in Legion)

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

SUPER 8

Just got home from watching Super 8. Loved damn near every second of it.

There were one or two places where I couldn't help but wonder if they couldn't have transitioned better, and there were a few scenes that made me laugh for the wrong reasons or made me just go "lolwut?", but overall a very good movie.

Main protagonist was... alright. It's a kid, so can't give him too much flak. Could have been better, but he did quite well.
The girl was definitely good.
LOVED the explosives-obsessed one.
Fat kid was good. Damnit. I should really learn their names, huh? I'M NO GOOD AT THESE THINGS I'M TIRED LEAVE ME ALONE.
And then the other two kids were good. Didn't leave too much of an impression, unfortunately, but I think that's more because of their characters and what the contributed (or didn't, to be more precise). Like I said, though, the actors were good.
The monster..... HO-LEE-SHEET.
The two fathers were very good, especially the girl's father.
Rest of the supporting cast was varied. All were good, some better than others.

Special effects were... well, special effects. Either you'll like them or you won't. I liked 'em.

On a side note: There was a new (to me) trailer for Cowboys VS Aliens before the movie. IT MAKES ME WANT THE MOVIE SO MUCH MORE.
ALSO seen was a trailer for the Captain America movie. Looks better than 'meh', but I just don't know.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Something blurted out in the hate thread finally reminded me of the fourth trailer that I saw when I went to go see X-Men first class this past week. Gives you an idea on how effective the trailer it was if it took *checks stub* five days and a quote from the ORIGINAL MOVIE to make me remember it.

The apparently forgettable trailer was for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." I remember thinking that it looked at least decently well done, what with gorillas and chimps going apeshit (yes, pun intended) all over the place, but when I walked out of the theater, what trailers did I remember to tell my mother about a few hours later?

Real Steel - Basically, Rock'em Sock'em robots meets Rocky meets Over the Top. And it stars Hugh Jackman. My gamer guy friends have Transformers as their "bright shiny pieces of crap" popcorn movies. I think this one will be mine.

Three Musketeers - Seeing Millia Jovovich pulling off Alice-style moves in a corset made a lot more sense when I found out the same guy as did Resident Evil was doing this one. Still, it looks like a kickass reboot and, as my mother put it, "You can tell Orlando Bloom is getting older when they cast him as the villain and not one of the Musketeers."

Those two. Of four trailers. That, again, I remember. If there were more than four, apparently the trailers were so not memorable that I blocked out that they even existed. At least Apes I remembered there was a fourth trailer, I just couldn't remember what. As for the third trailer, it was that body switch one with Jason Batemen and Ryan Renolds. Should also tell you something that I've seen that trailer *twice* now and can't tell you the name of the movie.

But, backtracking a little. Did see First Class, after all. I enjoyed it. It was an interesting reboot/prequel sort of thing. I'm interested in seeing where they go with this. Was it a fantastic movie? Not wholly, but it cost me five bucks and I'm probably going to buy the DVD when it comes out, albiet at the lowest price I can manage, but still... (Hey, I'm still unemployed after all.) Also, Hugh Jackman's cameo made it completely worth it. I did like that they used characters that aren't mainstream X-men (Darwin, Havok, Pixie [Angel will always be Warren Worthington to me. And this chick had faerie wings, c'mon.], Banshee, Beast and Mystique.) and watching them develop their powers is always a favorite narrative device of mine. Even the villains weren't the usual mainstream big-bads. They had enough personal touches to make them interesting and were nasty enough to be a real threat.

I know it's been out for a while, but if you haven't seen it and you get a chance and if you're an X-Men fan, give it a go. I think it's worth it.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I actually really enjoyed X-Men First Class, and so did Sly despite not being an X-Men fan. What made the movie for me was James McAvoy's and Michael Fassbender's portrayal of Xavier and Erik respectively. Michael did an amazing job of adding an element of humanity and depth to Erik's character, especially as he becomes the villain.

Of course, sexy Hugh Jackman showing up for his Wolverine cameo was awesome. I felt it was a better portrayal of Logan than the Wolverine: Origins movie.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

By fan wank I meant Hugh Jackman basically making an entire film about Wolverine so he could wank to it. Because that's pretty much what it was. "OH GOD WOLVERINE YOU'RE SO HOT!" FAP FAP FAP

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ah... well in that case yes.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh, I enjoyed Wolverine, or at least bits and pieces of it. Was it the greatest representation of all time, no. Was it good popcorn fare, yes.

Speaking of popcorn fare, saw Fast Five tonight at the dollar theater. Hot men and fast cars with an explosion thrown in for good measure. Highly improbable, yes, but I didn't go into it wanting Oscar-worthy stuff. I wanted to see car racing and the bad guy getting what was coming to him. Mission accomplished.

Also, if someone can answer something for me. I think I know, but I'd like to confirm. In roulette...if the ball lands on green and you've bet on one of the colors (like "I bet that a red number is coming up."), you lose, right? Because "green" is outside the boundaries of odd, even, red, and black? I've poked around on the net and I'm fairly certain I have the answer, but if someone could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that's how it works... Either that or I owe a friend of mine a beer...
EDIT: As in I won a beer because of this once:)

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Interesting new movie coming out in 2012 from Disney, entitled John Carter. Looks like something up my alley.

Still looking forward to the new Conan movie.

Also, recently watched 'The Eagle', which really impressed me. The story is essentially about a young Roman Centurion in Briton who goes north of Hadrian's wall to find the lost standard of the fabled Ninth Legion. Despite not being overly gory, the action sequences were tight and vicious, and the just barely off screen killings of children took me by surprise. I enjoyed the story, and the themes of friendship, loyalty and courage. The casting choice of having only Americans play Romans, and only British actors play the various tribesmen across the Isles was also a rather interesting choice, and one that worked out really well in its favor.

A point that may be a negative to some, but I found actually worked really well for this movie, was that despite its gritty and heroic nature throughout, it had a rather upbeat ending that I didn't entirely see coming. I'm usually not a fan of Deus Ex Machina, but it worked well here, at least in my opinion.

I also loved the music, of which I linked the end credits theme in the "what the hell are you listening to" thread.

I think my only negative comments are that quite a few characters get pushed to the side too quickly and don't get developed nearly as much as they could, or even should (this is especially apparent with Donald Sutherland's character), and that some of the twists and plot developments may not sit entirely right with some viewers.

Other than that, I recommend this for anyone interested in old Sword and Sandal epics, Rome, or a fictional action/adventure tale.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Huh. That does look interesting. At first, I was thinking that it looked like Riverworld (I think that's the title. It's a book series) but looks too...medieval to be it, I think. Still, definitely caught my interest in wanting to find out what the hell's going on, heh.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

OMFG IT IS HOT OUTSIDE.

Anyways.
Just got back from Harry Potter and the Not-so-Deathly Hallows part deux.

OMFGASDFGHJKL
STONE SOLDIERS VS GIANTS.
WIZARD WAR.

Go. See it. You'll love it.
Unless you don't like Harry Potter in the first place.
Though that's a given.

I'd have to go back and read the book to be sure, but I think I can safely say there were a couple scenes cut, or at least it feels like it in a couple of places.

Word of warning: Most of this movie is dark. Lighting-wise. It has its light scenes, but a lot of it is dark. Dark dark dark daOMFGHOLYSHITWHOTURNEDONTHELIGHTSOMFGMYEYESTHELIGHTYOUFUCKINGASSHOLESAREYOUTRYINGTOBLINDMEJESUSCHRIdark dark dark.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Blah blah, not reading that, going to see it on Saturday with a couple of mates. Gonna be buying part one tomorrow to watch that again before seeing part two.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

OMFG IT IS HOT OUTSIDE.

Anyways.
Just got back from Harry Potter and the Not-so-Deathly Hallows part deux.

OMFGASDFGHJKL
STONE SOLDIERS VS GIANTS.
WIZARD WAR.

Go. See it. You'll love it.
Unless you don't like Harry Potter in the first place.
Though that's a given.

I'd have to go back and read the book to be sure, but I think I can safely say there were a couple scenes cut, or at least it feels like it in a couple of places.

Word of warning: Most of this movie is dark. Lighting-wise. It has its light scenes, but a lot of it is dark. Dark dark dark daOMFGHOLYSHITWHOTURNEDONTHELIGHTSOMFGMYEYESTHELIGHTYOUFUCKINGASSHOLESAREYOUTRYINGTOBLINDMEJESUSCHRIdark dark dark.
In the Grimdark Grimdark of the Grimdark Grimdark, there is only Grimdark?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

In the Grimdark Grimdark of the Grimdark Grimdark, there is only Grimdark?
I attack the darkness!

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Meh. Even the die-hard HP fans among my friends didn't like it. I thought it was okay but I've not been much for the HP movies. Flashy sparks and "I've always wanted to use that spell" were the highlights for me. Everything else was kind of meh.

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm gonna see Captain America tonight, I'll let you know how it goes. If they find a way to include I'll be fairly pleased, but I'm sure it's not a common feeling.

E

Exofluke

It's just bad news day apparently. So remember the alien prequel coming out ( )?

Yea... because Ridley wanted such a high budget, Fox countered by saying the film has to be PG-13, which I guess it's official since at comic con during an interview.

Fucking ballz dude. I hate Fox so much right now.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

It's just bad news day apparently. So remember the alien prequel coming out ( )?

Yea... because Ridley wanted such a high budget, Fox countered by saying the film has to be PG-13, which I guess it's official since at comic con during an interview.

Fucking ballz dude. I hate Fox so much right now.
Alien movie... PG-13?

Does Fox even KNOW what happens in that movie?!? People get thier faces full of freakin alien wing wong, ya don't just say 'make this PG'!!!