What's new

Member Announcements Thread

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Member Announcements Thread

I very very rarely cry at stuff, but there are certain movie scenes to which not crying proves that you are a robot sent from the future. Like that one scene in Up!.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Oh god, that entire film would've been a bawwwwfest for me. Such a great film.

Quartz

Reputation score

It really was a good film. Pixar tends to do a fantastic job.

Lurker
Reputation score

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only movie I've cried during is Forrest Gump.
I was once told by a professor of mine that Forrest Gump was "the little engine that could for adults." And she was right, and now I have trouble taking the movie seriously.

But yeah, the last movie I almost-cried in was Toy Story 3. For those who have seen it, you know which scene I'm talking about.
I almost cried. For the record, the last movie I did cry at was The Lion King. I was six, and Mufasa was trampled.

Like that one scene in Up!.
Check my avatar for further details.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I sometimes cry on Forrest Gump and the opening of Up. But I will always, ALWAYS cry at the end of Schindler's List, WALL-E, and Saving Private Ryan.

Quartz

Reputation score

So, are you here to kill Sarah Connor or save her, Newbie?

Also, Grave of the Fireflies is still the saddest movie.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I sometimes cry on Forrest Gump and the opening of Up. But I will always, ALWAYS cry at the end of Schindler's List, WALL-E, and Saving Private Ryan.
I'll admit, I almost teared up abit at WALL-E. Not quite though. Never seen Schindler's list, though planned too atleast twice, but fell through both times.

Lurker
Reputation score

So, are you here to kill Sarah Connor or save her, Newbie?

Neither. I am here to subtly influence pop-culture to my own ends, resulting in (of course) vast amounts of wealth and power for future me. When I arrive in the future, I shall tell myself the plot was a success, and there's no need for me to go back. I will then become my own right hand man, and eventually betray myself to usurp my power from me.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Neither. I am here to subtly influence pop-culture to my own ends, resulting in (of course) vast amounts of wealth and power for future me. When I arrive in the future, I shall tell myself the plot was a success, and there's no need for me to go back. I will then become my own right hand man, and eventually betray myself to usurp my power from me.
None of that makes sense for a robot.

Quartz

Reputation score

But if you succeed, your future you will have no need to have gone back in time to get wealth and power. It creates a time paradox! What have your careless hands wrought?!

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I am of the belief that it would be impossible for you to change your timeline.

Either time is absolutely linear and universal, meaning it doesn't depend on when you were born. If you go back in time to before you were born to change something that would mean you wouldn't have to go back in time, the timeline doesn't revolve around you, if you decide to go back in time, you've already gone back in time and anything you would do has already been done, meaning no changes can be made.

OR

(The one I don't believe but somehow works in movies) Time is somehow personal, in which case changing something would mean your timeline becomes an entirely new timeline at the moment of change, and it would have no effect on you, because you were born of the events that took place in your life, not the timeline you weren't a part of. What happened to you didn't get erased because you experienced it and would remember having experienced it, it would just be alternated.

Last edited:

Lurker
Reputation score

But if you succeed, your future you will have no need to have gone back in time to get wealth and power. It creates a time paradox! What have your careless hands wrought?!
One cannot exist in the 'past', one can only exist in the present. By returning to this present, the present I previously was in ceased to exist as it was and became my future. When I make changes from here I don't need to go back to do it again because I already did it when I went back the first time.

Going back in time creates an alternate time line where I existed long before I was supposed to. As long as I only interfere with the most frivolous and superficial aspects of culture, and limit my interactions with these aspects as much as possible, I will still be created on schedule. Then there will be two of me, and I will be more efficient.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I am of the belief that it would be impossible for you to change your timeline.

Either time is absolutely linear and universal, meaning it doesn't depend on when you were born. If you go back in time to before you were born to change something that would mean you wouldn't have to go back in time, the timeline doesn't revolve around you, if you decide to go back in time, you've already gone back in time and anything you would do has already been done, meaning no changes can be made.
This one is still possible without causing paradox as long as you leave a note for yourself.

Basically, if you go back in time and kill a certain individual, for example. Now, with this person dead, there's no need to go back in time, which means no one does, which means they're not dead. Paradox.

But if you leave instructions you will follow for yourself, you can ensure that even though the person is dead, you still go back in time and kill them to prevent a paradox.

But if the universe hasn't imploded the moment you step back in time, chances are you cause the very things you're trying to prevent by going back in time.

Still, one golden rule should apply: Don't fuck with time.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Like I said, if it's universal: If you do go back in time to kill him, it's already been done before you went back in time. Time doesn't follow you. Either you'd be unsuccessful or it already happened. I'm not a fatalist, but if something happened, it happened. I don't think there's no arguing that point. You were either already at that point in time long before you decided to be, or you weren't. It'd be easier with an interactive visual

If it's personal: Your timeline up to you going back in time already happened, so killing a person that would affect your decision to go back in time no longer has an affect on you as killing him immediately alternates the timeline of everything surrounding you while your past was exactly as it was because it already happened to you.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Like I said, if it's universal: If you do go back in time to kill him, it's already been done before you went back in time. Time doesn't follow you. Either you'd be unsuccessful or it already happened. I'm not a fatalist, but if something happened, it happened. I don't think there's no arguing that point. You were either already at that point in time long before you decided to be, or you weren't. It'd be easier with an interactive visual
But if you're the one who killed him, how can he be already dead if you don't do it? Cause and effect. If he's always dead, there's no cause to go back in time, which means he doesn't end up dead.

Paradox.

It's got nothing to do with time personally following you, just the basic concept of cause and effect.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

If you already appeared beforehand in time and killed him, you had to have gone back in time in the future, no matter the reason.

Lurker
Reputation score

Time is linear to an individual. You go back in time, but you are still progressing through your time line. Move beyond this and you get the complicated bits that lead to self-sustained causal loops and grandfather paradoxes and such.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I prefer the many universes/back to the future version. Time works like a train track with an infinite amount of side tracks, going back in time you can flip a switch and go back forward down that path. Your originial timeline is still safe and sound, though you'll be missing from it.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Time is linear to an individual. You go back in time, but you are still progressing through your time line. Move beyond this and you get the complicated bits that lead to self-sustained causal loops and grandfather paradoxes and such.

Like I had said, if that is the case, then the timeline that you have personally already experienced is not subject to change as it is in your personal past and the idea that you no longer have to go back in time doesn't apply as the deed is already done and everyone else's personal timeline has changed, including the other you in this new timeline. If he somehow gets some permanent scar in the affected future, it wouldn't appear on you as you are both separate products of separate events and times. Meaning HIS version wouldn't have to go back in time because you did, creating no such paradox.