What's new

Logs of the fortress manager

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Logs of the fortress manager

We should dispose of the nobles. They're too much of an annoyance. If I were you, I wouldn't have waited for so long.
Well, I tried to feed the count to Slusa, but he ran away, and managed to just get past the cage traps I've put down to capture the dragon again. Don't worry though, both the count and countess are now 'missing', and strange sounds have been reported in their bedroom, with the locked door.(They aren't getting any water or food, and I expect them to die within the month)

Treebeard

Lurker
Reputation score

Also, treebeard, hope you don't mind, but to save billon bars, I made it a tomb with most the floor billon, and a few cat engravements in stibnite.
That's fine. I think Beardy will like it anyways.

I am excited to hear that the dragon is getting exercise. Nobles are always so funny when they've been attacked by a GCS, or HFS, or Megabeasts. They dangle lifelessly so well.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Ahh, I got killed only two logs in. Oh well, that's just the game being fitting again, Host tends to be the punching bag for the universe.

As for tomb decorations, goblin bones! Also lock in a live goblin. Bonus points if you break its legs or do some other significant damage without killing before putting it in.

Last edited:
OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

That would have been great, but unfortunatly, I can't assign a tomb to someone that's already dead, so I'm afraid the overlord got a generic coffin in one of the public burial rooms. Still, nice last actions, especially since after inspection I noticed he didn't pick up his plate armour yet.

It would be nice to have a new guard captain, I'll probably just assign a random migrant again next migration wave.(Unless someone asks for a dwarf in that position)

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

A new captain? I'd like to claim that one.

Bagash Headbanger

Captain of the Guard

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 26, 7 felsite, year 239

It is my sad duty to inform everyone, the count is dead, it seems he wasn't missing the last few months, someone just locked him in his room and forgot about them until long after they were dead. The bad news is, we lost 2 dwarves. The good news, they never really did anything anyway. Besides that, work has finally started on the new dining hall, the old one can seat about 9 dwarves, and we have 131. It also seems like a herbalist got into some sort of mood, so I'll just wait for him to do something useful.
Update: well, as I should have known, he went right for the wood stockpiles, and here I was expecting something made of stone.

19 felsite

On my way to congratulate Clothiw on her new baby girl, I passed by the crafting shops to see if the artifact was coming along nicely. I found it completed, laying in the shop while the maker went to get some booze. So, behold! Geth Zunek, The Past of Sourness, a wooden scepter. valued at 7200, it is basicly a big wooden stick with bone spikes. Well, into the vault with it, and hope next time something more dwarven gets made. It also seemed that what I thought to be the countess' tomb because of all the dresses laying around was instead the tomb of the count. He owned 6 silk dresses..I...I don't know what to say about that, so lets keep it at an awkward silence.

3 hematite
One of the victims of last goblin attack, a thresher injured by a stray arrow, has gone mad today, instead of laying in bed trying to recover, he is running around screaming things seemingly at random. Well, running around is probably not the best way to describe the movement of someone who still has an arrow stuck in his leg, but he's slowly shuffling around screaming things, while leaving a trail of blood behind. He doesn't have a tomb, so he's going to end up in one of the public coffins. Speaking of tombs, I finally got a statue decorated with fishbone for Kharak, so his tomb is all done now.

14 hematite

I'm sad to say, we lost Dogstile, one of the best hunters this fort has ever seen. After killing a lot of goblins, a lot of wildlife, and a lot of dangerous other things, he got taken down by a crocodile with a lucky hit. I've send Sin and her Axesquad to take revenge on the crocodile, so we can use it's leather and bones to decorate Dogstile's tomb further.(And to keep the people getting his corpse safe. It's sad, but to be expected of most hunters, it's a dangerous world out on the surface. And to keep the workers busy, a caravan arrived as well.

27 hematite

A different caravan leader then usual, he called himself "Mel", funny name, but at least he was less intrusive then the guy before him. We traded, I gave him a beer, and then he mentioned there was a guild master looking around the fort for a count, or other nobility. After letting the humans know our count and his wife had an unfortunate incident, the leader started talking to me about trading for next year.

14 malachite
So, now the actual talking to the guildmaster starts, I was helping the others move our new goods to the stockpiles, and instead of following me around, this person quietly sat around drinking some booze. As I was on the way to meet him, I got interupted by the taxcollector, which was demanding things. Here's the actual conversation.
Tax collector Olon: Hey, you're in charge here, I demand a pewter cabinet in my office!
Me: Erm, sure, we have pewter laying around, and I guess you have earned it by now, you were actually doing things.
Olon: And I demand an item in my bedroom!
Me: what item?
Olon: AN ITEM!
I then slowly back away and wonder why we can't get sane 'nobles', and if it would be a good idea to set up Slusa's cage near his door.

(Really, under demands, it says "Item in bedroom", what does he want?)

25 malachite

The thresher died today, luckily, right next to an empty coffin. The life expectancy of the insane is never that high. I still haven't finished talking to the caravan leader, but everything is chaos now, there is so much to do, I think I may have bought too much food, we now have enough food for roughly 238 years, and it's hard to get everything in the right place.

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Gah, nobles.

Clotiw's new child should be named Defilia.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to move the dragon.

Treebeard

Lurker
Reputation score

The Item in bedroom is a bug. The game tries to fetch an item that doesn't exist from the raws, so the game simply replaces the item with Item and a space.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Clothiw's new kid named Defilia, ok then.

And since it's just a request, I'll tell the taxcollector he's not getting any items. The worst he can do is mandate the construction of 3 mugs or something. (Really, he has very simple mandates, he either wants rock crafts or bags/bins)

No fort log today, birthday party happening.

edit: ok, small one, found time to play

Leaders log, page 27, 1 limestone, year 239

The caravan leader managed to find me alone during the chaos, and we discussed the trade, turns out, for next year, the humans want amulets and goblets, both items we have a lot of, so I told him we would get a few ready for them, and drank another barrel of beer. After a few more barrels, he decided he really had to leave, so ok, see you next year, and if you send that other guy that creeps me out, expect him to disappear like our count did.

11 limestone

The dwarven caravan, and the fort is still in chaos. Instead of the usual goblin clothes, this year they're getting our random rock crafts, which are much closer to the trade depot, so it should get the place in chaos like before. Besides that, some happy news, we found a gold vein to go with the copper and silver we have. Besides that, after trading, we have even more wood, and extra things. I've even got another plate armour with it, and other stuff they just happened to have. I should probably mention I've placed a few random cage traps outside, just to catch random wildlife that happens to walk around. In the end, the dwarven caravan wanted bracelets, which are made a lot, so next year I expect a bigger caravan, and easier profit.

1 timber

One of the carpenters started randomly singing, and ran to claim a workshop. So the obvious thing is, we're getting more wooden artifacts, what's not known however, is what exactly he's going to make.

6 timber

I've checked on the barracks today, but only to find a dwarf there that was there for at least a year now. I asked him what was wrong with him, and the reply I got was sad indeed. It turns out he broke his spine a while back, when fighting goblins, an injury that will never heal. So we are down a soldier, but he's not dead yet, so I've told him he is being reassigned to royal guard, exactly the protection nobles like the count deserve. One dwarf that will stay in bed the rest of his life, a shame for such a youngster, but at least he can still talk.

8 timber

Artifact furniture, why not? Meet "Umamozkak Astas Taron", Soaredcarry the Rogue of Yells. a wooden chest valued at 28 800, almost the entire outer part of it is covered in gems, it has rock re-enforcements and spikes of goblinbone, on it is an image of the artifact grate made here before. This turned out better then I expected, this deserves a nice spot in the vault.

Last edited:
OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

(Firefox failed anddeleted what I've written so far, in short: Found the underground river, but couldn't get into it. Searching magma pipe, construction work is going as planned, found gold and copper veins, elves traded nothing big...And something that will be shown in the pages below)

(A small part of the logs are missing from the logbook)

Part of the damaged page:

....anite, year 340
....ay the mechanic finished his artifact, "Etessebshos Govulzursul", Blowmires
....ntrustworthy Sever, a rock mechanism valued at 40 800, althought I doubt I
....der it to be installed, as it's name is untrustworthy, and such a thing is much
....spensive to use, it gets the value from the gem and bone decorations, all
....ing the highest quality. Where I can use it though, is in the vault.

(Date unreadable)

Words cannot describe what I've discov(...) today, I've found out "Kharak" was not re(...) ak, instead, 'he' turned out to be his sister, Dvorki Bloodaxe, and whats wors(...)was having a relationship without me knowing, of all people to have a relationship with, she was(...) y's lover, it turns out she tricked Kharak and took his spot in the expedition, but I've as(...) ves to send word to the mountainhomes, to the -real- Kharak, that he may still join us (..)

15 slate

Migrants, and whats that in the distance? Aw crap..A new count..Well, not a problem as long as he doesn't make insane demands, otherwise he will find himself hugging Slusa from the inside. His preferences are silver and coins, so if he sticks to those, he might live a while. His wife however has a preference for the valuable steel, which might proof troublesome. Besides that, they shared some info with me, it appears we are known as a death trap, even without many losses.

So, the new migrants:
Count and countess
The -Real- Kharak Bloodaxe, axedwarf, one of the best there are.
Bagash Headbanger, captain of the guard
1 brewer
4 guards
3 royal guards
2 siege engineers
1 skilled miner
1 recruit
1 dyer
1 metalsmith
1 fisher
1 mason
1 furnace operator

Also arrived:
1 child
1 dog
1 mule
1 horse

16 slate

Minor problem with the logs, turns out a goblin thief got a hold of it, and ripped parts of the last page, it has been taken care of, and with taken care of, I mean it's placed in a special room to later be fed to Slusa.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Huh. Talk about an interesting twist.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 27, 17 slate, year 240

I noticed I didn't list the usual personality and likes of the important new dwarves, but this was because of that damn goblin ripping away a part of the logs, therefore, I will list it here again.

Kharak Bloodaxe
Likes: Iron, amber, gems, steel, ballistas, pig tail clothing, and horses for their strength. Hates lizards.
Personality: Drinks a lot, strong, sense of duty, and organised.
Worships the goddess of jewelry.

Bagash Headbanger
Likes: Stibnite(Rare rock), Electrum(Mixed silver/gold), any large gems, and traps. Hates roaches.
Personality: Often discouraged, pessimist, disorganised, very friendly, trusting, likes a drink.
Worships the god of dance, as seems tradition in all our guard captains.(Even the peasant turned captain worshipped this god)

7 felsite

Made a new room for the count's wife, and updated the old room to be better, we had extra stuff anyway. Besides that, I've put up some dogs to be sold to dwarves, we have way to many dogs, including 30 unclaimed war dogs. I'll use 7 of those in the new arena for the first fight I guess. Oh, and the countess decided to adopt 4 of the normal dogs, she's a dog person. Anyway, the new room will need smoothing and engraving before adding furniture, so the old room will be the count's wife's for now.

13 hematite

The human caravan, right on schedule, moving goblin clothes and some stone items to the trade depot, and lets see what they have.

18 hematite
After the last few humans went in, a war dog found a goblin ambush, no doubt following the humans. No big problem, all military at the ready, and all civilians inside. Problem for those out in the swamp, as they might not be inside fast enough. Note to self: make a shelter in the hills near the swamp to prevent this. Now, it didn't help that the military decided to go grab food when they were supposed to be trying to help the two who were still outside, but at least this way they will stay safe on their own.

After the military grabbed their stuff, one of Sin's soldiers ran ahead, and started fighting with goblins on top of a cliff. In the end, 3 goblins were pushed down a deep hole, and 2 were cut into tiny bits by a berserk dwarf with a sharp axe. Kharak, Sin, and the other military arrived too late, and instead managed to just see a goblin touching the ground, far below the soldier that rushed ahead.

End result:

2 dead war dogs
2 civilians lost(Fisherdwarf, herbalist)
5 goblins killed.
Plans made for shelter.

During the attack, I've traded with the humans, not a lot of new things, but it's nice to have a new supply of plants for brewing, fish for high quality bones, and wood for..Wood..purposes. Whatever, lets just burn it.

(Later written)

More goblins, this time one of them has a bow. He should be first to die. George Redshirt found this group on his way back inside, and he shot and horribly injured one of the goblins(Not the bow user) During this time most of the military decided it was time for their beauty sleep. Fucking idiots. Even the one soldier that did stand to help falls in the idiot category, seeing as he forgot to take ammo, he ended up dead. The rest of the military decides to take their time, and eventually arrive one at a time(The battle being over by the time the third arrives).

Result of this battle:

1 civilian injured
1 soldier killed(Squad leader of marksdwarf squad)
4 dogs killed
3 goblins ripped apart by a war dog
1 goblin killed by a soldier
1 goblin(Bow user) escaped with minor injuries.
1 goblin(Hammer user) escaped with a crossbow bolt through both his lungs. I doubt he lived much longer.

Last edited:

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Bagash's personality is similiar to my own... Except that "friendly and trusting" stuff.

Also, we have a screwed up military.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

They're not screwed up, they're Dwarven

But yeah, next migration wave will show a large amount of recruits if possible, we currently have 151 dwarves, and nobody had any idle time since 5 seasons ago. (Max dwarves will be between 300 and 500, good computer here)

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 28, 22 malachite, year 240

Today one of the engravers found a goblin thief. Later on one of the leatherworkers found a badly mangled, unrecognisable corpse that seemed like a goblin. Problem solved, and the thief had a silk bag, that's now ours. Besides that, nothing worth noting.

20 galena

A leatherworker became possessed today, and headed right for the workshops. He gathered a lot of leather, rock, gems, and some silk, and for once, no wood. I'm very interested in seeing what he's going to make, with those ingredients, it might be very valuable, and very useful.

24 galena

..Oh dear gods, why? Why oh why? The artifact is completed, and it is no less then a leopardskin thong "Noleth Vuknuth", The Gulf of Strangling, inlaid with gems and 2 kinds of rocks, having bands around it of leather, shell, and rock, and the image of a cougar on the front. It is valuable, but nobody may ever wear it, the thought of a big, burly dwarf tucking his beard into it and making pelvis thrusts in a random direction alone makes me nauseous. This is going into the vault and it may NEVER be taken out. The value is ok though, 46 800 bucks, but the mental damage of any who see it will be valued a lot higher.

7 limestone

Arena done, with only a few minor details left to be made, but on his request, Kharak had a few sparring matches with goblins, the count was personally releasing the goblins(And watching), the results, all of these were 1 on 1, none of the goblin's equipment was taken before the fights

Kharak: 5
Olngo, goblin thief: 0
Ngerxun, goblin thief: 0(Kharak hit this one so hard the goblin slammed against a wall and died from that)
Zom, goblin thief: 0
Ngom, goblin wrestler: 0 (This seemed a bit unfair, as on later inspection the goblin already had a crossbow bolt in him)
Stozu, goblin wrestler: 0- At first a tie, Kharak lost interest in fighting goblins after punching Stozu in the stomach so hard there was vomit on the ground, and the goblin was cowering in a corner, hoping not to die. It was a nice test for the arena, and it ended when Kharak decided to finish the goblin off by tossing one of his axes at him from across the arena. He then went for a drink.(I didn't know dwarves could actually do throwing in fort mode)

11 limestone

Finaly, the underground river, and it's fairly big, and very populated. It starts just a little bit below the surface, flowing into our area from the east, and then takes a sharp turn north before falling a few floors down in the first waterfall, then only a short bit further a second waterfall of about the same size. After that another short bit, where we dug into it(Above water level, so no flooding), before it takes another short drop, with then one more short stretch of river before it goes into a deep hole, going all the way down to where not even us dwarves know. Great, I'll make some plans on what to do with it later, for now, to find the magma pipe for easier metalworking, I've used a door and a hatch to lock off the river for now. As a possible use, I've found a section of it to be just a small walk to the east of the still under construction dining room. We may be looking at a very easy way to make drowning chambers, fishing areas, and a swimming room.

As side note, the dwarf caravan came into sight today.

16 limestone

Invading goblins, luckily, the small shelter near the swamp is done, so dwarves there are just as safe as those in the fort. The merchants are inside, and we're ready for them. I'll just let Kharak kill some more of the captured goblins, we need the cages to be empty for after the battle, and hopefully, he will have killed a large amount of the caged ones before going to the front lines to fight there. Oh, and these goblins have ranged weaponry, so nobody gets to go near the entrance.

In the end, everybody except a farmer got to safety, the farmer was safe at first, in the small shelter that was build, but he decided he wanted to risk walking through the entire goblin army to get inside the main fort. Needless to say, he died. And it didn't look pretty. After that, a group of gnomes tried to get into the fort, but they kind of failed to see the goblins, again, it didn't look pretty..Except if you like red, then it was beautiful. So, after slaughtering the gnomes, the goblins focussed on us again.

Inside the entrance, half the marksdwarves decided to take a nap, and Sin's squad went for a drink, so all that's standing between an army of goblins and an undefended fort is a single drawbridge, and Kharak.

The marksdwarves (The few that weren't sleeping) took out all the bowgoblins, so by now, the goblins have next to nothing that can be any kind of danger. Only the first group attacked

The rest of the goblins were running after a single gnome, so we took the time to try to reload cage traps. After that, the bulk of the goblin forces tried to get in, but there was a thin bridge, and Kharak was standing on it.
Kharak tossed the first goblin off the bridge, and the goblin died, then the rest of goblins thought of the smart thing to do and ran. They would have all died if the damn ballista operator didn't fall asleep on the job.

During all this the miners found warm rock, the magma pipe was close. We're trying to find a good way in now, preferably in a way where we don't flood the fort with magma.

End result:

2 goblin leaders captured(Thats both in this attack)
9 goblins captured(Not including leaders)
5 cats lost(of which 1 because it was launched into the air by a drawbridge)
1 war dog shot(Was already wounded before battle)
23 goblins killed
About 5 goblins went missing in battle
5 escaped with heavy injuries
6 escaped with light injuries
14 escaped unharmed
1 dead civilian(Farmer)
1 civilian went crazy(Lost 4 cats, weak mental state)

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Woo! GO powerful beings of weights!

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Kharak's badass. And our military continues to do weird things.

P.S. The new artifact... Scary.

Treebeard

Lurker
Reputation score

They're not screwed up, they're Dwarven
This is going in my sig.

I didn't know dwarves could actually do throwing in fort mode
Yes, they can throw in fort mode, and yes, it can be very deadly. There are stories on the Bay12 forums about dwarves going berserk or throwing tantrums and killing other dwarves with socks, stacks of thrown bolts, pretty much anything they can get their hands on. There was one story of a craftsdwarf either going berserk or throwing a tantrum that got a stack of 25 bone bolts. Killed 6 other dwarves with thrown bolts before they calmed down or got killed.