What's new

Logs of the fortress manager

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Logs of the fortress manager

I have a save game file sitting on my computer right here that has the following in one embark screen. (My embark screen was huge though, my laptop can handle it, I doubt most other people's computers could do that site.)

(Edit, just checked, embark was the full local site, max size)

4 biomes, one cold, one warm, 2 normal.
Sand/soil(Glass/farms)
flux
iron
Gold/silver/copper visible from the start
Magma pipe AND magma pool
Chasm
Underground river
Aquifer in one of the 4 biomes
Brook running into a mayor river(23 tiles wide I think), so carp if you want them, safe drinking at the brook. Also a 2z waterfall in the river.
Bauxite somewhere in the soil.
access to 3 goblin nations
elves at war
'Other features'(which I had turned on at the finder because I liked surprises, and had no idea what it meant)

Only problem is that I already embarked on it for my first ever fort, which got promptly killed off by my failing, it was my first ever game after all.

I never found a site like that again, and it never occurred to me to reclaim...until now.

Last edited:

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

im ok with almost anything without an large aquifer also as long as there are no elephants or skeletal carp

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

An apology to all readers, playing 2 hours a day and the last few days absolutely nothing happened, though I admit to pausing a lot because I got called away to help out the family.

The one thing that did happen were more dogs, we're up to 100 puppies.

Leaders log, page 56, 26 moonstone, year 248

2 things to say...

1. finally some action
2. Oh shit, goblin ambush

This means that while they might be there to take care of the boredness of the dwarves, them being an ambush means no dwarf is to go outside for a while until we're sure they're all gone. Kharak has been send to deal with the first wave on his own, should be no problem for him.

The goblins were occupied killing dogs, they got 4 grown dogs and a puppy, and to show how weak the goblins are, the puppy managed to break the legs on one goblin. However, as the goblins tried to cut off the dwarves that were outside, it quickly became 20 v 5, with 5 already weak goblin recruits trying to block access to the fort from 20 pissed off dwarves, in the end, Kharak arrived to see bloody goblinpulp. Besides that, a woodcutter chopped off a goblin's arms and legs before leaving it to die, and from the looks of broken bolts, they also tried to stop a hunter, which did not like being blocked. And judging from a bloodied pick stuck in one of the corpses(More specificly, through the heart), a miner got a good hit on one of them.
2 dwarves sustained minor injuries, both broken hips, I suspect they will soon be picked up to move indoors by the dedicated medical dwarves, until then, Kharak and an axesquad will stay outside to watch over them.

27 moonstone

The wounded are recovered at record time, but I'm going to keep everybody from going outside for now, at least until it seems to be clear. One of the wounded did not need help, and had his hip healed again before being helped.

3 opal

A child made an artifact when I wasn't looking, so here's Räduksat Asmel Tudrug, Bitterstrokes the Merchants of Vandalizing. It's a wooden idol, worth 90 000, it has decorations of gems, wood, and goblin bones. It has rings of rock, and spikes of rock and gems, on it is an image of an old king in pig iron, and the image of longland grass in gems.
Longland grass is something we can brew, so that's a nice image.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Wait, what? Wounded dwarves were helped?

IMPOSSIBLE!

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I have 3 dwarves set to do nothing, except helping wounded dwarves. It also helps that one of the wounded decided to heal a few seconds after getting hit, and just walked inside with only a scratch.

Anyway, I'll start a thread on a possible successiongame soon enough, possibly today, but maybe tomorrow, depending on whether I fall asleep before posting it.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

just to clarify things it will be the normal DF with no mods right?

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Frackin' dwarves, walking off a broken hip. I swear they've got magical ale.

:c Speaking of which, I just started playing and can't figure out how to get them to make more booze... they've made plenty of barrels but it seems like those barrels go straight to being used for food (that hasn't even been caught/harvested yet) and I don't know how to remove those designations. *kicks her six settlers in the pants*

Also, is it normal for caravans to linger around a trade depot year around? @_o' I'm very confused by this trade business.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

To make booze you need a still, and plants to brew with, having a good brewer is useful, but anyone can start brewing. (Set them to brewing allowed in p-l in their menu, preferences-labour, to get to the dwarf menu, press v and go near/over them.)

There is still no way to reserve barrels for brewing, but it might be put in at a later version, a useful thing might be z-kitchen(Look at the top of the z-screen), there you can tell them what they are allowed to brew and what they are allowed to cook.

Traders actually stick to the trade depot for about 2 months(Longest I've seen was 4), but after that they leave and it will take some time for them to pack up their goods again. To trade, use q near the trade depot, and then r to request your trader to go to the depot, once he's there, q near it, and t to trade. Remember to set both ends of the deal before pressing the t for trading, and do not use offering and seizing goods for your first few trading sessions, offering is just giving them stuff, and seizing is stealing their stuff.
If your trader is busy, injured, or dead, q near the depot, and then you can press b to allow all dwarves, regardless of trading skill, to trade, but this will get you a worse rate then if you would have used the trader(So it's worth waiting a while for him to finish something if he's busy).

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

There is still no way to reserve barrels for brewing, but it might be put in at a later version
Actually, XSI…

"Reserved Barrels/Bins" is a global setting that reserves a certain number of barrels or bins, preventing them from being claimed by a stockpile until they are filled by a that requires their use. This feature is most often used to ensure that a fortress has ample empty barrels for the production of alcohol, although empty barrels are also necessary for other jobs. You can change this setting in the stockpile menu p. If there are 5 reserved barrels, no stockpile will claim an empty barrel until you have at least 6 lying around. In this way you can ensure that jobs like making alcohol always have free barrels available.
I haven’t used it myself though. It might be broken or something.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, my bad then, I wouldn't know, I always end up with way too many barrels, right now in the fort for this I have about 60 extra barrels, and am getting more every caravan. (Buying their booze, not really using the barrels after use)
The result is a large stockpile of barrels that are not being used for anything.

I was going to write a fort log today, but it seems my family prefers to hold me down in a chair to shout at me for about 30-45 minutes. I have no reason why they do it.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

my dwarves usually live off the alchoal that the caravans bring but as years pass and more dwarves come it gets harder

also the fact that i make crazy projects like "the colony" dosent help much too as my workers are unprotected and most of the time my dwarves are idle and legendary socilists

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 57, 6 opal, year 248

A mason, one of the wounded from the goblin attack, was screaming and flailing wildly in his sleep, I was told this was a tantrum, even though I thought someone needs to actually be awake for that. Whatever the case, she woke up, and got a drink. She healed, so she can work.
Besides that, another sparring injury, someone broke his skull, no permanent damage. I doubt there's anything in there anyway.

3 obsidian

The skull pyramid has almost completely decayed, only the hastily put up rough stone skeleton of it remains, and one skull, sitting alone and weathered on the top.
I noticed I should probably stop ordering goblins to be thrown into the still partially flooded magma bath, engraving the new jail(Needed because the old one is almost full) ended with a large section of the floor covered in images of burning goblins, goblins about to die, and goblins screaming. It probably didn't help that the engravers were the ones throwing them in...But anyway, 2 more goblin bow users were tossed in today.
Side note, the first magnetite cluster has been mined out, but not all smelted yet, the second cluster had a platinium vein deeper inside.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

lol one of my dwarves that was injured didnt just tantrum he went Berserk. he got up limped to the room down the hall containing another dwarf also injured and beat the shit out of him. i had to get one of my champion wrestlers to go there but they didnt get there until the victim was 'almost' dead and after he lived for about half a day before he blead to death.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 58, 10 granite, year 249

3 things to mention, firstly, Brak got out of bed, and he's hopefully staying healthy.
Secondly, an elven caravan is arriving.
Thirdly, a goblin army is arriving at the same time as the elves, so we might just get more free cloth.
Smaller notes, doing some more roommaking, this time for Beardy and Burrito, our first miners, both will have decorated masterwork beds, and furniture made from their favourite materials. Magnetite clusters are fully mined out, still not smelted down.

1 slate

Org Headbanger, our best wood burner, has become secretive, he is going to make an artifact, and become legendary at last. But first, let's see what he's going to make..
Minor note: First goblin group attacked when I wasn't watching, they died by marching in a neat line right into a trap. The other group is sitting somewhere outside and hasn't moved since they arrived.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Hey, finally my first dwarf's doing something good.

I hope it's a thong.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It's not a thong, he grabbed wood as his first item. And only an elf would be stupid enough to wear a wooden thong.

He did use at least 10 gems though, sadly it were mostly cheap gems, so they won't help value a lot.

Leaders log, page 58, 11 slate, year 249

Org's artifact is done, it is a simple wooden bracelet, but it has a lot of decorations. "Gishdistkes Nulom Kan", or Freezescratches the Blames of Tiring, it's worth 102 000, has crystal glass decorations, bands of crystal glass, gem rings, and spikes of gems, it also has the image of a weaponrack and bin in gems, and a circle in cloth. besides burning wood, he is now also good at crafting with it, and being legendary, he can get a personal room soon enough.
We need new rock crystals, he used the last of our crystal glass for this, but it was worth it. I've checked on Org's preferences, and told the miners that while they're inside and bored for the siege, they could start looking for more metal, we got plenty of iron now, but we are lacking everything else.

2 felsite

So, I've been trying to get the military to stand outside so we can engage the goblins, and just kill them. But they all seem to think there are more important things, like sleeping, drinking, or going back for food while they have 2 meals carried in their backpack. Needless to say, nothing is happening, but on the bright side, the goblins are weak, so if the human caravan arrives, the guards will beat up the goblins without problems. As note, it shows who I can count on when I need them, only Sin and Kharak waited at the meeting point for the others to arrive. I'm contemplating on just sending them in, this group of goblins seems exceptionally weak anyway.

7 felsite

Since Sin left to get a drink as well the only dwarf that would fight is Kharak, so to help him out, I've send a newbie marksdwarf squad with him, the marksdwarves will stand on a hill, and shoot bolts at the goblins, Kharak will kill any goblins that try to get close to the marksdwarves(Which I expect to be all of them, since these are new marksdwarves that can't really hit anything they aim at)

11 felsite

Goblins defeated, one marksdwarf lost. The only reason we lost him was because he was stupid enough to try to whack goblins with his crossbow instead of using it to shoot at them, only one goblin escaped. This was enough to have a nearby goblin group of better trained sword users run. I suspect we might even have saved that marksdwarf if his friends did not run from battle to get a drink, but as it was, Kharak managed to finish off the other goblins too late to save the marksdwarf.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Nice artifact anyway. Also, dwarven battle tactics kick ass.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 59, 17 hematite, year 249

A few things happened today, firstly, an elf arrived, apparently some diplomat.
Secondly, a hunter spotted the human caravan aproaching. (With another diplomat)
And thirdly, that same hunter shot a goblin thief, one bolt through the heart and both lungs, he then proceeded to shoot the goblin several times just to be sure.

20 hematite

Goblin ambush, the scum trapped a mechanic in the far magnetite mines, but they are no match for the mighty locked door. Kharak and some random axesquad have been send to take them out, these are even more pathetic then the last group we fought. It turns out that before our soldiers even reached the exit of our fort, the goblins ran off to kill a horse, leaving the trapped mechanic with an opening to escape. He arrived back safely, but one of the goblins had his leg broken by the horse before they managed to kill it, but not before having another goblin break an arm from it. It's a horse, 10 goblins should have no problem killing it, but somehow, the horse got killed eventually.

3 malachite

I gave the humans some of our rock crafts(They seemed especially happy about the mugs), and in return, all their food, metal, wood, dye, and other items. And since there were a lot of rocks laying around the depot, I offered them a gift of unused rock, claiming it to be the high quality dwarven construction materials. They loved it, and took 50 rocks with them. I liked that because that's 50 rocks less to clutter up the place. The elven diplomat just left, and the human diplomat was talking about nothing at all. Meanwhile, I wondered where the goblins were, and send out a scout to check on them. He reported back that the goblins were beating a dead horse.

4 malachite

Oops, my bad.
I accidently told someone to pull the 'cave in parts of the moat that isn't safe to pull yet'-switch instead of the 'restart automatic water cistern filling mechanism'-switch. The resulting dust cloud pulled 4 dwarves into an hole and smacked them around a bit, causing a few broken bones, but nothing that would keep them from working for more then 2 months. Among the unfortunate dwarves was the duke, which apparently landed face-first against the rock below, he's not feeling too good, but nothing is broken. A few pets were injured as well, though the only serious thing there was a donkey that got a layer of solid rock dumped on his head, he didn't survive, but the owner doesn't know yet, he was sleeping, so we could say it died of old age when he wasn't looking. On the bright side, deepening the moat is going faster then planned.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Whatever those goblins are smoking is some good shit.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Leaders log, page 60, 28 malachite, year 249

The rest of summer was boring, but just as it was about to turn to autumn a hunter returned, migrants were on the way. A welcome addition to our population, we don't have enough dwarves working as it is.

The migrants:

1 brewer
2 guards
1 mason
1 woodcutter, will be hauling when not cutting.

Also arriving:
1 child

These 5 were the only ones to arrive, but new migrants in autumn means there may be a lot more coming in spring.
Besides that, I'm finding the traders still haven't left, they're still packing up their goods, and I've found we need more food stockpiles, the ones we have now seem to be getting full. I've already designated an area for mining, but the miners seem to be..Not mining it.