What's new

Sigfried

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: JSK工房 Hgames Thread

As Ristu said, Demon Lord could work fine.
"I have no business wuth the daughter of the Demon Lord"
It might still sound weird callyng a woman "lord", but it sounds better than calling her "king"

sewermedic

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Devil Girl Translation update:

All the strings in the main SWF file have at least a basic translation now. I'd say half of those I'm happy with as they are, the other half are in a state of needing further refinement. That might mean they need another pass, with some context to improve their meaning, or that they are little better than machine translations.

Each ending and H-scene has its own SWF file, each with its own set of strings to translate. I've not done a lot of these yet, but many of these strings are things like "Mmn!" and "Ahn~" if you get my meaning. Translating those shouldn't take as long. Most of the "sex talk" uses words and metaphors unfamiliar to me, interesting from a language-learner's perspective, but slightly tricky to translate at times.

Couple of quick questions:

The game makes several references to "Devils" as a race. The backstory is that the Human player has sought out the ruler of the Devils to end a war between Humans and Devils. I personally prefer "Demons" as a word than "Devils", and have been using the former in my translations. Does anyone feel strongly about that? Prefer one over the other?

The titular girl is referred to in the game as 魔族の王 "Mazoku no Ou" or literally "King of the Devils". In Japanese "王" can be gender-neutral, so it makes sense for her to be called that, but in English it doesn't sound right to call a female "king". I can't think of a suitable replacement which sounds right. "Monarch of the Devils" just doesn't work if you ask me. I could use "Queen" I suppose, but one of the first things the player can say in the game is "I have no business with the daughter of the <魔族の王>" implying that he does not expect the ruler of the Devils to be a woman. Any suggestions on how to deal with this pronoun problem? At the moment I've just left all instances of 魔族の王 as "Demon King".
Wait, so are you machine translating this game?

BlueBurn

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Devil Girl Translation update:

All the strings in the main SWF file have at least a basic translation now. I'd say half of those I'm happy with as they are, the other half are in a state of needing further refinement. That might mean they need another pass, with some context to improve their meaning, or that they are little better than machine translations.

Each ending and H-scene has its own SWF file, each with its own set of strings to translate. I've not done a lot of these yet, but many of these strings are things like "Mmn!" and "Ahn~" if you get my meaning. Translating those shouldn't take as long. Most of the "sex talk" uses words and metaphors unfamiliar to me, interesting from a language-learner's perspective, but slightly tricky to translate at times.

Couple of quick questions:

The game makes several references to "Devils" as a race. The backstory is that the Human player has sought out the ruler of the Devils to end a war between Humans and Devils. I personally prefer "Demons" as a word than "Devils", and have been using the former in my translations. Does anyone feel strongly about that? Prefer one over the other?

The titular girl is referred to in the game as 魔族の王 "Mazoku no Ou" or literally "King of the Devils". In Japanese "王" can be gender-neutral, so it makes sense for her to be called that, but in English it doesn't sound right to call a female "king". I can't think of a suitable replacement which sounds right. "Monarch of the Devils" just doesn't work if you ask me. I could use "Queen" I suppose, but one of the first things the player can say in the game is "I have no business with the daughter of the <魔族の王>" implying that he does not expect the ruler of the Devils to be a woman. Any suggestions on how to deal with this pronoun problem? At the moment I've just left all instances of 魔族の王 as "Demon King".
Ruler is the only good gender neutral word for that IMO. Monarch is actually male, with Matriarch being the female version.

Also, I agree with your usage demon as a translation for mazoku. English does not have a strong distinction between devil and demon but devil is the one which tends to refer to a specific entity (Satan, the Devil, etc) and the etymology differs in that devil comes from the Latin word for Satan (a specific entity) while demon comes from the Latin word for a lesser diety or thing of divine nature.

Mazoku refers to an evil or supernatural spirit, not to a specific entity such as Satan, so the most accurate English translation is actually demon.

lazydude

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Ruler is the only good gender neutral word for that IMO. Monarch is actually male, with Matriarch being the female version.

Also, I agree with your usage demon as a translation for mazoku. English does not have a strong distinction between devil and demon but devil is the one which tends to refer to a specific entity (Satan, the Devil, etc) and the etymology differs in that devil comes from the Latin word for Satan (a specific entity) while demon comes from the Latin word for a lesser diety or thing of divine nature.

Mazoku refers to an evil or supernatural spirit, not to a specific entity such as Satan, so the most accurate English translation is actually demon.
in some religious text being such as Beelzebub and Asmodeus are referred to as Devils rather then Demons

of course there are text that say Lucifer and Satan are two completely different beings as well but as fascinating as theology is I'm starting to go off topic

what I mean to point out there are lots of old text that say there's more then one devil so Devils as a race wouldn't be much of a stretch.

That being said I think just leaving it Mazoku is fine as well

Loup Garou

Sex Demon
Reputation score

As Ristu said, Demon Lord could work fine.
"I have no business wuth the daughter of the Demon Lord"
It might still sound weird callyng a woman "lord", but it sounds better than calling her "king"
Basically, the female equivalent to Lord is Lady... and Demon Lady is.... kinda... goofy. You might want to change it to Queen, since Lord can also be a title that can be given to kings. Or... Lord is also a title used for God. She could be the Demon Goddess. Of course, since she is the daughter of the Lord, Princess could apply, but.. Demon Princess is almost as goofy as Demon Lady. Find a good title and stick with it.

Looking at lists... since this is Japanese in origin.... Princess can be either Hi-Denka or O-jo (Actually the truly correct version of O-jo has a ^ above the capital O). I think it may be interesting to give it the title Demon O-jo.

Just tossin' out thoughts... :cool:

Skylive

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Looking at lists... since this is Japanese in origin.... Princess can be either Hi-Denka or O-jo (Actually the truly correct version of O-jo has a ^ above the capital O). I think it may be interesting to give it the title Demon O-jo.

Just tossin' out thoughts... :cool:
I agree with Garou here. Since it's often difficult to figure out a good english translation for japanese kanji etc. things like "Itadakimasu" or "Yoroshiku" are left like they are very often ( e.g. Scanlations of mangas etc.).
If you get in contact with japanese from time to time you'll probably be able to understand things like "ojou-sama" or "Do-san" :D

Well I'm just tossing my thoughts around, too :D

Lucky777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

"Demons" is fine, and I too find it preferable to "Devils", for the reasons given by Blue Burn.

BlueBurn

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

in some religious text being such as Beelzebub and Asmodeus are referred to as Devils rather then Demons

of course there are text that say Lucifer and Satan are two completely different beings as well but as fascinating as theology is I'm starting to go off topic

what I mean to point out there are lots of old text that say there's more then one devil so Devils as a race wouldn't be much of a stretch.

That being said I think just leaving it Mazoku is fine as well
It's pointless to look into western religious sources because they have no relevance to the content being translated. We're looking for the closest English word to translate to, so the best way to go is look at the etymology/origin of the English words.

Also keep in mind that the western mythology tends to have original source in languages that are unrelated to English such as Hebrew, so there's another reason not to look at western mythology when translating Japanese.

Of course, leaving the word untranslated (Mazoku) is fine too.

Last edited:

runeflare

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It probably doesn't matter what is used, but according to A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters entry 1832 魔 phonetically expresses "ma" in the Sanskrit term "mara" 魔羅.

According to Buddhism, Mara is the demon that tempted Gautama Buddha by trying to seduce him with the vision of beautiful women who, in various legends, are often said to be Mara's daughters*.

Considering the image of the antagonist in the flash game and the title, it can be assumed that this would be a reference to that.

So in reference to this flash game,魔王娘 could be demon king daughter and 魔族の王 would mean king of demons.
--------------------------------------------
*-See, for instance, SN 4.25, entitled, "Māra's Daughters" (Bodhi, 2000, pp. 217-20), as well as Sn 835 (Saddhatissa, 1998, page 98). In each of these texts, Mara's daughters (Māradhītā) are personified by sensual Craving (taṇhā), Aversion (arati) and Passion (rāga).

NiGHTS4life

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Has anyone found all the endings of the Fuuma Girl Maisa game? You know the most recent game? I only have found two endings.

MercSpy

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

As to the 3 endings, here are how to get them all (for convenience's sake):

1. Fallen End:
- Win once and lose 2 times to the girl.
- Select the lower dialogue option at least once.

2. Demon End:
- Win twice and lose 1 time to the girl.
- Have sex with her at least once.

3. Purified End:
- Win twice but do not lose to the girl.
- Do not have sex with her.
- Select the upper dialogue option at least once.

As a side note, the scene you get when she defeats you during combat is dependant on her clothing status:

Normal - Fellatio
Breasts exposed - Paizuri
Lower part exposed - Face riding

Take note that the paizuri scene takes precedence over the face riding scene.

Hope that is of help.

Pickled_Cow

Reputation score

Actually, Monarch is gender neural term referring to both kings and queens, and a Matriarch is the female head of a family.

I look these things up on wiki excessively.

tentakuru

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Don't know about demon lord, but in the games i've done, this part takes the most time, because h scenes have a shitload of lines and the 'mmm' things are like 40% of them.
Devil Girl doesn't have as many endings as some of JSK's other games, and a couple of the ending files are pretty short. You're right that the sound effects only take up about 40% but overall the main SWF file has more dialogue, I think.

Wait, so are you machine translating this game?
What would be the point in that? It wouldn't make any more sense than the Japanese! Every sentence I can't read immediately does get thrown at chiitrans, but I'm only using machine translation to aggregate dictionary lookups. Even then, I'm using real dictionaries to ensure I'm not missing the meaning of some kanji I don't recognise. So don't worry, each sentence goes through my actual brain first.

Actually, Monarch is gender neural term referring to both kings and queens, and a Matriarch is the female head of a family.
I was going to say, looks like we'll have to call Queen Liz something else! "Patriarch" is the male version of "matriarch". I'll try using "Demon Lord", maybe "Demon Overlord", see how that scans.

Agree on the Devil/Demon thing, I'll leave it as Demon(s). Interesting discussion though. Here's another query:

The girl uses the 貴様 kisama pronoun when talking to the player. It's a derogatory term, historically being an extremely polite way to refer to someone (it literally means something like "honored lord"), but in modern times has become an ironic way to convey your extreme distaste for someone. You hear it a lot in anime, and it often gets translated as "bastard" or perhaps some other insult depending on the intended age of the audience. So, I've been translating it as "bastard", but it gets used so much I wonder if I'm overusing one word. I'll probably drop it completely from several sentences, instead conveying her disgust through the tone of the other words in the sentence, but wondered if people had any favourite insults they liked to be called? :) She's talking to you, after all.

sewermedic

Demon Girl
Reputation score

That's reassuring. Thought we would have a shit-translation circulating around the internet. :cool:

runeflare

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

You could probably mix up the phrases you use to translate kisama so it doesn't start to feel overused or redundant. Supposedly kisama was a way that a samurai would refer to his enemy. Also, royalty would use the term to address commoners they hated. Considering this is a flash game of a common, lowly warrior seeking to fighting the demon king, there are probably more fun English equivalents then bastard. For example, Shakespeare was a master at making creative insults, so you can go that route if translating "bastard" or "you!!" gets boring.

Just wondering, how is the girl referring to herself in most of the dialogue? Is it modern usage such as watashi or boku? Or is it more archaic such as chin, maro, or warawa? If it is the later, then you can have fun and do things such as substitute old style ways of insults.

Not as accurate but oh well...

NiGHTS4life

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Thank you to who posted the endings. Are there any updates for newer games?

max7238

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I haven't seen it here, and I've been searching my comp for a few days now (whenever I think of it) trying to find the save files for the two latest games. Where the heck are they? Not in the same place as the others, even though they all reside in the same folder... Are the two latest games' saves stored in a specific place other than the localhost directory?

runeflare

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I haven't seen it here, and I've been searching my comp for a few days now (whenever I think of it) trying to find the save files for the two latest games. Where the heck are they? Not in the same place as the others, even though they all reside in the same folder... Are the two latest games' saves stored in a specific place other than the localhost directory?
Are you talking about Fuuma Girl Maisa? I can find it in the appropriate sub folder in localhost. If you are looking for the sol file it should be called save_data_maisa.sol.

I've noticed that my copy of minerva on windows xp does not seem to like files with odd characters. If I can't find a .sol file after a few plays, I rename the SWF file and its associated parent and sub folders to include English only characters. I also only use firefox to play the games. Someone mentioned on here earlier that chrome messes with the placement of the .sol files.

Loup Garou

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I tend to rename my swf's in english from the get-go. Makes it muuuuuch easier for me.

Mojo

Reputation score

@Mojo, try reading the thread (somewhere around the 10th page).
I did read the thread, but it's 20 pages... In any case, I spent an hour trying to find whatever you are referring to, and the best I could figure out was that you're referring to something called Minerva?

So I downloaded it (which I didn't enjoy, since I don't know what it is, complete with warnings about harming my computer), and spent days trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with it, to no avail. I opened all sorts of .sol files, none of them displayed any text or any way to edit anything that I could see.

Is this the program being used to edit these things? If not, what should I be looking for?