What's new

RPG Maker [Happy Life] Meltys Quest (Official English Translation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: [Happy Life] Meltys Quest (Official English Translation)

Love to see this kind of stuff happen! I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure.

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: [Happy Life] Meltis Quest

Looking forward to more collaborations between you, Sachinama, and other circles you might work with in the future. Thank you so much for working on Meltys Quest!
Hey thanks, I'll answer the questions that I can.

1. I've known about Sachinama, who back than was simply known as Happy Life, since he first made this: sachinama.com/archives/124
I was very attracted to his work because unlike even most professional eroge artists, he drew distinctions between variations of the same cg besides faces and state of cum or no cum. For example, the pussies in his cgs would get progressively wetter and wetter, which I find fucking hot.

2. No, I reached out to him and convinced him to let me localize his next game.

3. He's a genuine person

4. I didn't ask him about it but he did bring up the fact to me that he felt the maps in Minako were too big. The maps in Meltys Quest are overall significantly smaller because of it. I too personally liked the fact that it was an rpgmaker game instead of a simple vn.

5. It's definitely fun because we both share similar fetishes and want to produce the best game possible for people to fap to. And it's also difficult in the sense of the language barrier for me. I speak to Sachinama solely through japanese and I have to rely alot on google translate to convert my message from english to japanese. And then I have to edit the grammer of whatever crap google translate was spitting at me, if not straight up write something else because it couldn't translate my message properly. This whole experience is really the first time I've had to write in japanese so I'm really bad at it.

10. Yeah he knows about this forum and thread. For some of these questions I'll let him answer it himself to me if he feels like it. ;) If he does I'll translate his answers here

OP
chiakisan

chiakisan

Cthulhu
Reputation score

10. Yeah he knows about this forum and thread. For some of these questions I'll let him answer it himself to me if he feels like it. ;) If he does I'll translate his answers here
Awesome! Thanks for answering most of my questions. Looking forward to hearing more from Sachinama XD.

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Good news, I now have the first version of the demo. first it will need to go through debugging and once everything is fine, I can start inserting my translation into the game.

And when the translations are all put it, I can debug the translated version and Sachinama can submit both demos to dlsite. I'm going to guess the demos should be out around this weekend.

rizo

Reputation score

Good news, I now have the first version of the demo. first it will need to go through debugging and once everything is fine, I can start inserting my translation into the game.

And when the translations are all put it, I can debug the translated version and Sachinama can submit both demos to dlsite. I'm going to guess the demos should be out around this weekend.
I'm so ready for this! hopefully we get it this weekend.
Keep up the great work :)

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hello Remtairy, glad to see more games getting translated. Also glad to see translators working with the original developer.

I looked over your Patreon, and just wanted to make an observation. From your Patreon:

"There are already many English translations of eroges out there, both professional and amateur. I think most of them suck, ranging from subpar to complete machine translated garbage. They sound so dry and don't even remotely sound anything like what anyone would say out loud."

I would recommend not trying to prop yourself up by bashing others. Maybe I'm biased, since I've created one of these shitty translations, but I find the entire comment unnecessary. Translate the game, release your work, and you'll receive your accolades. By starting out this way, I believe you're weakening your Patreon. My first thought in reading that was to be offended and then hypercritical. Hell, you have grammatical errors in those three sentences. You make even more in your first post.

At this point, I realized I was no longer evaluating the game itself, or remembering my excitement at seeing a new translation. No, I was looking for ways to criticize this translation to make all other translations look like shit. Take it for what you will, I'm not pointing it out to be a dick. I just see that entire paragraph as unnecessary and potentially alienating. Good luck on your translation.

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for pointing it out, I can see how it can be taken offensively and as an attack instead of stating why I want better localizations. I'll reword it differently.

DawnCry

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Personally I'm not a patreon supporter, but good luck!

However I will wait for the full game to buy it (I suppose it will be sold in english right? XD)

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

If I may make a comment YummyTiger, since you generously gave me valuable feedback instead of staying silent and laughing at me as I shit on myself in front of other people, why did you think I was referring to your translations when I made that comment.

I don't know what games you've translated, and so I haven't played them and can't be a judge of their quality. I'll put this on the record, when I drafted that paragraph on patreon, I had sakuragames in my mind. "Most" was maybe too much, but I bet even the word "some" would've been just as offensive.

Every single day so far this month since I've worked on Meltys Quest, I have edited and changed my translation over and over again: trying different ways of expressions, making sure they all sound natural, making sure it's as perfect as I can make it. There are scenes I have already rewritten three times through. And even then I am still not satisfied, and I probably never will be. But if someone said "most translations are subpar", I would never assume they were referring to me without a direct reference; Because I've put the effort and time to make it not subpar. And if my best efforts wasn't enough, then I would improve and raise my own ceiling.

If you have confidence in your ability as anything, as a writer or as a translator or whatever you choose, you shouldn't automatically assume the most negative thing possible about your own work. This is my sincere thanks to you for pointing out my mistake.

DawnCry

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

If I may make a comment YummyTiger, since you generously gave me valuable feedback instead of staying silent and laughing at me as I shit on myself in front of other people, why did you think I was referring to your translations when I made that comment.

I don't know what games you've translated, and so I haven't played them and can't be a judge of their quality. I'll put this on the record, when I drafted that paragraph on patreon, I had sakuragames in my mind. "Most" was maybe too much, but I bet even the word "some" would've been just as offensive.

Every single day so far this month since I've worked on Meltys Quest, I have edited and changed my translation over and over again: trying different ways of expressions, making sure they all sound natural, making sure it's as perfect as I can make it. There are scenes I have already rewritten three times through. And even then I am still not satisfied, and I probably never will be. But if someone said "most translations are subpar", I would never assume they were referring to me without a direct reference; Because I've put the effort and time to make it not subpar. And if my best efforts wasn't enough, then I would improve and raise my own ceiling.

If you have confidence in your ability as anything, as a writer or as a translator or whatever you choose, you shouldn't automatically assume the most negative thing possible about your own work. This is my sincere thanks to you for pointing out my mistake.
I would say it's just because it's easy to feel offended while reading the original message if you are a translator. Even if you aren't trying that I can see it on the lines of "everything others made is bad" (internet always gives a bad feeling about everything XD)

However at the same time I think that people should not feel offended so easily.

Ishman

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'll put this on the record, when I drafted that paragraph on patreon, I had sakuragames in my mind.
Just pointing it out but they do a pretty good (reputedly) jap > cn tl, it's just that they're lazy chinks so they then run the tl through a script for the en version and fuck everything up 7 ways from sunday.

I'm pretty sure they're just scamming jap devs out of money by promising a relatively cheap translation (inasmuch as you can call running something through SYSTRAN that) while 'securing' a publishing deal with steam (Even though every game that had paid for the greenlight gating system got onto steam once valve closed it down) but what can ya do, no one wants filthy gaijin money.

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I definitely was not implying you were shitting all over yourself. In fact, bashing the competition is a pretty common thing, it just tends to annoy me. I just don't think those kinds of statements are necessary. If you do good work, it will shine above the less quality stuff without you pointing it out. Yet, when you do start your Patreon messaging in that fashion, you risk alienating potential patrons and inviting hypercritical criticisms.

I really do wish you luck. I thoroughly enjoy playing translations and wish all translators well. It's a bitch to translate games. Let's get back to the translation itself and questions about it. I don't want to derail the thread any further, but I did feel it was important enough to mention. I did not see this game prior, so I'm pretty damn excited to see how it turns out. I must say, the artwork seems top notch. Is it a NTR game?

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

You're absolutely right, I'll just let the game do the talking for me

And well, I won't label it a NTR game since no one will be cucked by Meltys sleeping around (she sleeps with everyone).

Last edited:
OP
chiakisan

chiakisan

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Just wanted to chime in here. I wanted to earlier, but I didn't feel comfortable without knowing further context. Because I was also wondering why Yummy was so sensitive to your statement regarding shitty machine translations. After reading through multiple threads (over 500 posts or so), almost every one bashing Yummy's character and integrity... I might feel like people are out to get me too.

However, I could be completely wrong about this; to provide further context, Yummy is the creator of , which is currently working on their first game, Aylia's Story. He also translated Hunter's Quest. He's had his own Patreon for about 3 years now, so he's very familiar with issues regarding bringing in or pushing away Patrons. I'd recommend heeding his advice. I'd also recommend for people to contribute to his Patreon as it's based on a per update/release model, so he doesn't get paid until he releases a complete and significant chunk of his game. It's not something he can "milk." The new artwork for the game looks amazing as well.

I occasionally followed the Aylia's Story thread here at ulmf. The thread is currently locked at Yummy's behest. I had a very slight idea why, but wasn't exactly sure as many of the recent posts were deleted. After reading through tons of posts at multiple forums, I believe Yummy created a lot of deadlines for Aylia's Story that he was never able to meet, and that upset a lot of people. It's understandable; although, the constant character assassination that came from that probably took its toll on him. He was consistently accused of "milking" his Patreon, even though his payment model wasn't on a monthly basis. Based on the multiple posts of people displaying their anger, you would've thought Yummy was the second coming of Donald J. Trump, a person that should be universally hated (and if you don't hate him at this point, you really need to question whether you might be a racist; seriously, please ask yourself this question. If the goal is self-improvement, asking yourself this question could help you become a better person).

Objectively, I think Yummy is actually a pretty good guy overall. He was probably guilty of over ambition, and maybe not being completely transparent with his Patrons on his progress. I could imagine it was pretty tough trying to satisfy everyone on the internet, and still having time for your friends and family on top of your full time job. Hopefully he's righting the ship now, and he seems to be based on some of the new art I've seen XD.

Since you're new here, Remtairy, keep in mind that there are going to be pressures that come from having your own Patreon and putting yourself out there on the internet. You're going to be heavily criticized, rightfully or wrongfully, it doesn't matter. People can be pretty mean around these parts. I hope you have thick skin. And if you don't, you better grow some now.

In general, if you can learn from Yummy's example, don't make promises you can't keep. Don't give people any ammunition to question your work ethic by calling you lazy, or that you're cynically "milking" your Patreon. If you do good work, keep everyone updated, and release translations in a timely manner, it'll help your venture grow exponentially.

It looks like you're off to a great start based on the amount of rep you have despite literally just joining us this month. Keep it up! I'm cheering for you and Yummy! =]

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Thanks and speaking of not being able to keep my promises haha!

I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that Sachinama and I spoke last night, and we decided to increase the amount of content available in the demo. Originally only the first dungeon was available; now we're adding the second one too. This doubles the amount of sex scene available for free in the demo.

Now the bad news is that unfortunately, this means it'll take more time for the demos to be finished and hit dlsite. I'm still hoping to have them out in dlsite by Sunday but who knows.

OP
chiakisan

chiakisan

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Thanks and speaking of not being able to keep my promises haha!

I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that Sachinama and I spoke last night, and we decided to increase the amount of content available in the demo. Originally only the first dungeon was available; now we're adding the second one too. This doubles the amount of sex scene available for free in the demo.

Now the bad news is that unfortunately, this means it'll take more time for the demos to be finished and hit dlsite. I'm still hoping to have them out in dlsite by Sunday but who knows.
Sounds like great news to me lol. I'm hoping you guys will have a save available upon the full release for those who have beaten the demo; this way, we can pick up where we left off when we play the full version XD.

Shaele

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

If the demo is good you have my support. :)

Remtairy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Sachinama just submitted both demos to dlsite. He said it usually takes around three days for their staff to playtest games to see if everything is okay, and this is assuming there won't be any problems like forbidden content or too little censorship.

So sadly, it doesn't sound like the demo will be available by this weekend, sorry guys!

rizo

Reputation score

Sachinama just submitted both demos to dlsite. He said it usually takes around three days for their staff to playtest games to see if everything is okay, and this is assuming there won't be any problems like forbidden content or too little censorship.

So sadly, it doesn't sound like the demo will be available by this weekend, sorry guys!
That's fine, I appreciate the heads up. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread so I know when it's released and I can get my hands on the demo. :D
I'm going to buy this game as soon as it's released because it looks so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.