What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

I opt not to invest much in speech or charisma related skills. Although speech checks grant large experience bonuses and can have you avoid a lot of hairy situations, I find the net loss of experience to outweigh the overall value of the skill. Here's a basic example of what I'm talking about.

You have two options. You can do a speech check to finish up a quest much, MUCH more quickly or actually do it. If you do it you'll spend more time doing the quest, but you'll probably get more EXP, money, and other loot if you go to where ever it is you need to go to kill stuff.

Then again I'm more of a combat-centric player, so I compensate with the Confirmed Bachelor/Lady Killer perks as they give me certain dialogue options plus extra damage to enemies.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I'm with Incubus here. I felt that speech was a rather dud skill in Fallout 3 as well. It was both easy to cheat, and the actual benefits and penalties were pretty small. It used to be massively influential in the old games, where deciding to talk to someone was something you saved before doing because if you said the wrong thing you could end up dead. The social stats would completely change your list of conversation options. A character with very low social stats could often wind up getting into fights with even normally friendly characters (would suit OAMPS sis perfectly). It wasn't as much a case of getting a small tip or bonus. More often the speech craft skill opened up quests you wouldn't even be offered otherwise, or provided ways to complete them to a better outcome.

I'll probably end up playing New Vegas at some point, so is speech craft actually a good skill again or not? Is the repair skill still the best?

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll probably end up playing New Vegas at some point, so is speech craft actually a good skill again or not? Is the repair skill still the best?
Speech checks are much more frequent, and they aren't at ungodly high levels. They actually flow fairly well and it's not uncommon to see speech checks between 10 to 35 throughout the game, along with higher ones.

The repair skill is even more godly than before. If you get your repair to 90 or above, at level 14 you can choose the 'Jury Rigging' perk. It allows you to repair things based on item class instead of if they're just the same item. Examples of this are repairing any light armor with any light armor, repairing a plasma pistol with a laser pistol, or repairing any headgear with any other headgear. There's also no downside with the perk (you aren't penalized for repairing your item with a really different one) so it's among the best perks in the game.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Speech checks are much more frequent, and they aren't at ungodly high levels. They actually flow fairly well and it's not uncommon to see speech checks between 10 to 35 throughout the game, along with higher ones.

The repair skill is even more godly than before. If you get your repair to 90 or above, at level 14 you can choose the 'Jury Rigging' perk. It allows you to repair things based on item class instead of if they're just the same item. Examples of this are repairing any light armor with any light armor, repairing a plasma pistol with a laser pistol, or repairing any headgear with any other headgear. There's also no downside with the perk (you aren't penalized for repairing your item with a really different one) so it's among the best perks in the game.
I'd just like to say "Meh @ repair in Fallout 3". Alien Epoxy for the overpoweredness.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I've only really been pissing around with this character, so most of my points have been going in Guns, Repair, Science, Sneak, Lockpick and recently Speech. All of them have around 50-odd points in and at the moment I think I'm either level 16 or 18. I need to train up a couple more levels to increase my Speech to 75 I think to convince Blake at the Crimson Caravan to give the NCR a discount on supplies. I'd use skill magazines but I cant seem to find any for Speech lying around or with merchants/shop owners.

For my next playthrough I'll be doing making my character build the 'Charismatic Courier'. I'll be tagging Barter, Guns and Speech. I'm thinking about a SPECIAL layout like;
Strength- 4
Perception- 5
Endurance- 4
Charisma- 7
Intelligence- 9
Agility- 6
Luck- 5

Not sure the low Strength will help with many guns though, but I do plan on using mostly pistols and the Service Rifle. Also, I hadn't realised how useful the Reloading Bench was until I decided to break down all the ammo I dont use. Now I've got a crapton of 5.56mm ammo.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

If your fond of using the sniper rifle, do pick up the hand loading perk for a 50% damage increase.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I don't think the strength score will impede you too much for choice of weaponry, but I think you'll be relying on melee combat a lot due to ammo shortages or to save making noise. Luck could be used to shore up agility or perception, though that's what I normally do. XD

As a note; For F3 I stopped tagging weapon skills, as I could aim well enough to hit the target and usually went for head shots with scoped weapons, lockpick, repair, science or medicine might be better to gain more access to areas or options as well as self-sufficiency.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Thats my choices for New Vegas, and I haven't had any issues with finding ammo in my current playthrough.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I was shown this. I especially loved 12:13

(tf2 humor strewn about)

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Saw that recently, oh wonderful, occasionally insane. XD

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Oh Black Ops. You're so silly.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I'm going to laugh at my boyfriend if he has problems playing on his PS3.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'd laugh at one guy for playing on PS3, but alas, lots of people didn't show up today, I wonder why :rolleyes:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I was shown this. I especially loved 12:13

(tf2 humor strewn about)
Ah, Criken. One of my fave channels to show up when I really outta it, always cracks a smile.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Just read about an infinite EXP glitch you can do with Mr. House when you first talk to him. I don't know exactly if this can be done later on, as it relies on speech options available when you first talk to him. And yes, I know this glitch has been accounted for, but I figure that I might as well make a smooth guide to it.

[Method 1: Requires 50 Speech]

1. "I need to ask some questions before I recover the chip."
-->
2. "What is the Platinum Chip?"
-->
3. [Speech 50] "The less I know, the less I care. Know what I mean?"
--> Pass speech check, +50 EXP
4. "What is the Platinum Chip?" --> [Repeat as many times as needed/wanted.]

[Method 2: Requires 35 Medicine]

1. "Who exactly are you, Mr. House?"
-->
2. "How did you establish New Vegas?"
-->
3. "You appear to be a computer, not a man."
-->
4. [Medicine 35] "The lifespan you're claiming is impossible, except for ghouls and super mutants."
--> Pass medicine check, +35 EXP
5. "How did you establish New Vegas?" --> [Repeat as many times as needed/wanted]

Exit the conversation when you see that you level up. Although you won't get the prompt for it, just watch your EXP meter needle and leave the conversation when you see that it's maxed out and won't go any farther. That way you can level up properly without any fear of the game glitching out from stacking levels.

I'm only using this glitch now because my save file got corrupted when I was at level 14. Hope it helps, kiddies.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

So, got the newest Playstation mag today and I think I figured out what they're doing in Dragon Age 2 for the people that haven't played the first one. There's an article in there about Mass Effect 2, which is coming for the PS3. And the statement is basically "So PS3 players won't be left wondering what's going on or out in the cold, the game will open with an interactive comic (so to speak) that will enable them to make choices about events that happened in the first game." Why do I have a feeling that's what they're going to do for people that don't have DA:O saves to draw on when it comes time to boot up DA2?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sounds like something that could work fairly well actually. I won't use it in favour of my saved game, but it's a neat idea none the less.

In terms of new games in my own collection, played through Black Ops, going through Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and just picked up Splatterhouse today.

I won't bother going in depth with Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed as at this point in both franchises people have an idea of whether or not its for them. Yeah there is new shit but for the most part they're still Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

I will be going more in depth on Splatterhouse though after I finish the game. In quickness after only 2 levels: Blood for blood sakes, ultraviolence, one of the collectibles in a naked chick, and you can unlock the original side scrolling trilogy from years back.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

If I liked gorey games, that would definitely be on the buy list, just for the bonuses there. Ah well. Hope you have fun with it, Sin. I just read a blog on AC:B and the writer was bitching about it some, heh. I'll refrain, but, well, Sin kind of says it. It *is* a franchise, after all.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Games need more nudity. Especially if it's tastefully done. I won't suck The Witcher's dick any more than I already have (especially since it's you, Sin), but I might try out Splatterhouse just for that.