What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Burn it with fire?
Was gonna suggest put a flesh light in it, and have slow sex with it. :p
But for real, sell it on eBay before the value goes down. I mean really down.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

So, I recently got ahold of a spare key for Guns of Icarus recently due to their anniversary. I don't need the game myself, so figured that maybe I could arrange some sort of trade for it? The game's worth about ten bucks so it's not like it's a huge item, but hey, I can vouch for it being fun and the next milestone for the Alliance mode's coming in a few weeks so good time to try it out, small as it is.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I too can say Guns of Icarus is fun and a good game

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Moving from key trades to Skyrim Special Edition...

If anything will ever sell you about Special Edition's merits, I feel like this video is pretty much going to be the only thing that could potentially sell you on it. They point out all the pros, cons, and the technical improvements coming with the game.

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Moving from key trades to Skyrim Special Edition...

If anything will ever sell you about Special Edition's merits, I feel like this video is pretty much going to be the only thing that could potentially sell you on it. They point out all the pros, cons, and the technical improvements coming with the game.
I admit, im interested.
everyone keesp saying "legendary edition", i own the game and the dlc's so i THINK i get it right?...

But its a bethesda release, doubts through the roof.

The only real thing i care about is the physics engine....

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

and the technical improvements coming with the game.
Also known as 'whoopsies we supposed to work out on release date but betatesters cost money.'

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So I've managed to get to the moon, land on it, take some samples and then actually get my astronauts back to kerbin alive... And spent the last half a week trying to make deep-space satellites to scan the other bodies in the system for easy science.

I've gotten some new engines with higher thrust ratings so I figure I can get more weight up into orbit and have enough fuel to get them further as well. DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

I mean fuck! I got further with the pre-rockomax parts. Of course they can't lift the satellite rig I've built (because why would I not have to send 3 separate satellites to the same planet to relay/survey/gather temp and pressure readings? spending a whole day of my real life doing it.)

The hell am I doing wrong? I know my lift-off trajectory isn't perfect (is there a mod to make it less of a damn chore? I can't believe I have to manually do the angles every time, when the game has a built-in system for plotting trajectories and automating burns!) but I made it into space with a higher weight/thrust ratio before with the earlier model engines.

Is a perfect atmospheric escape really that necessary in this game?

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

So I've managed to get to the moon, land on it, take some samples and then actually get my astronauts back to kerbin alive... And spent the last half a week trying to make deep-space satellites to scan the other bodies in the system for easy science.

I've gotten some new engines with higher thrust ratings so I figure I can get more weight up into orbit and have enough fuel to get them further as well. DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

I mean fuck! I got further with the pre-rockomax parts. Of course they can't lift the satellite rig I've built (because why would I not have to send 3 separate satellites to the same planet to relay/survey/gather temp and pressure readings? spending a whole day of my real life doing it.)

The hell am I doing wrong? I know my lift-off trajectory isn't perfect (is there a mod to make it less of a damn chore? I can't believe I have to manually do the angles every time, when the game has a built-in system for plotting trajectories and automating burns!) but I made it into space with a higher weight/thrust ratio before with the earlier model engines.

If you have to manually correct angles while doing gravity turn then... yeah, you are doing something wrong xD Big rocket can do that without you doing anything other than small corrections if necessary.
It's better to let gravity do it's thing and go "around".
Like... if you take a stone, attach it to a string and spin around... then just cut that string it will catapult your stone. Pretty much how gravity turns work.

OFC, if you want to automate that, try mechjeb and see how it should be done. And if that doesn't work for you, go on youtube, search for scott manley, not only you will see what to do, but he will explain why and how it works.

As for fuel... I have simple solution: Big orbital station with huge fuel tanks. I get up to orbit, rendezvous, docking, refuel, continue :D

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

If you have to manually correct angles while doing gravity turn then... yeah, you are doing something wrong xD Big rocket can do that without you doing anything other than small corrections if necessary.
It's better to let gravity do it's thing and go "around".
Like... if you take a stone, attach it to a string and spin around... then just cut that string it will catapult your stone. Pretty much how gravity turns work.

OFC, if you want to automate that, try mechjeb and see how it should be done. And if that doesn't work for you, go on youtube, search for scott manley, not only you will see what to do, but he will explain why and how it works.

As for fuel... I have simple solution: Big orbital station with huge fuel tanks. I get up to orbit, rendezvous, docking, refuel, continue :D
I'd have to get the fuel up into orbit w/o using all of the big tanks up for that to be worth my time...

I did go through the tutorial, and it had me doing the corrections manually.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Tutoria... Oh right, there was something like that, I personally didn't bother xD
Well, after my rockets tilt, they just go and go until I am out in the orbit.

And I will be super honest, knowing why and how solves most of ksp problems.
Like:
This is for when to start a gravity turn. Big rockets when tilted will do it pretty much themselves as long as twr isn't too low/too big.
Trust me, as soon as you "get it", it will be super easy. Just like riding a bicycle :D

Also, getting to and back from Mun doesn't require a lot of dV, maybe just 5000-6000 m/s... And dV to just get into Kerbin's orbit is like 4500 m/s.
So what takes most of your fuel is that first orbit. That's the part where orbital refueling comes in handy. But as for Mun or Minmus... Not needed tbh.

Kerbal engineer is a good mod for checking your dV so you can figure out how much power you actually need, so you don't make giants rockets when 1/3 of that is more than enough.

As for station itself... Well, when I was building it, most of the tanks got refueled by pay loaders themselves (yes, I did sent empty tanks), after I was done I just sent them back to kerbin using monopropellants, as there was no fuel left (one dead pay loader per one transport xD).
And as I am using life support mod, I occasionally send pay loaders with cargo to station, refuel tanks and that's it :p So far I never had refueling problems and that let me build smaller rockets that didn't need as much power to get out to orbit and beyond.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Thank for trying to help me BTW.

Watched his video, and that's what I try to do (I angle a little earlier) but what ends up happening is that if I angle too much I start getting air-resistance graphics and eventually friction graphics popping up. And things just go to shit if I try to push my angle from there (because why not attach parts by a single point?).

Even if I don't get it, thanks again. I was kinda ready to just be done with the game if I didn't get a definite "Do this and win" statement, but I want to try some more now.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Thank for trying to help me BTW.

Watched his video, and that's what I try to do (I angle a little earlier) but what ends up happening is that if I angle too much I start getting air-resistance graphics and eventually friction graphics popping up. And things just go to shit if I try to push my angle from there (because why not attach parts by a single point?).

Even if I don't get it, thanks again. I was kinda ready to just be done with the game if I didn't get a definite "Do this and win" statement, but I want to try some more now.
Sounds to me like your TWR is too big (too much power) and rocket just spins nose down. Happens to me every time if I don't reduce throttle (going by kerbal engineer, I am trying to keep twr around 2.3).

As for making rockets... Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, because I hate struts, those look ugly af. And yeah, I have my ksp over modded, thank you Squad for 64bit version xD.
But yeah, don't give up, apparently rocket science is quite easy when you get general idea of stuff xD

Damnit, now I want to play ksp again, didn't touch it in like 2 months...
And it's already 4am... fml xD

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It's as mentioned mostly just experience in knowing how to do it. I can't recommend mechjeb because it's too close to cheating in my opinion, but it gets the job done if you have no idea how to do it and need someone or something to show you.
For going to other planets, you will want to know your launch windows. You may need up to 10(!!!) times your thrust/fuel to reach them if you launch at an inopportune time for some planets.

Here's a tool to calculate it, sadly still missing from the game. It's a must-have if you want to go to other planets in any sort of efficient manner. Though Mun and Minmus are easy enough to just go for manually.

As for the bigger rockets. It's mostly about efficiency. You might be using bigger engines and more fuel, but if they're less fuel-efficient the only thing you really do is pay a premium to get up higher. Use an asparagus staging if you can for maximum efficiency, though with big parts it gets expensive really quickly.

You will also want to know the terminal velocity(Read: When to stop boosting because air pressure/friction makes going faster an inefficient use of fuel), so you don't burn off all your fuel on a miniscule speed boost when you can coast to a thinner atmosphere and then boost for a lot of speed up there.

Also, getting to and back from Mun doesn't require a lot of dV, maybe just 5000-6000 m/s... And dV to just get into Kerbin's orbit is like 4500 m/s.
So what takes most of your fuel is that first orbit. That's the part where orbital refueling comes in handy. But as for Mun or Minmus... Not needed tbh.
Technically, once you're in Kerbin's orbit. You can just get out and push with your EVA fuel.
Since your EVA fuel is 100% refueled when you return to the command pod, you can get out, push the rocket until you're nearly out, then get back in and do it again. It's really ineffective and abusing it gets cheat-y, but if you absolutely must get someone home after they just barely ran out of fuel on their way out from the Mun then it will get you there eventually. It's not fast enough to really do maneuvers with, but for the smallest pushes it is essentially unlimited fuel.

Plus, you don't have to land a craft on Minmus, ever. You can hop out while in orbit, land with your EVA pack and then jump back into orbit with it. The gravity is so low that you should be able to manage a landing though.
I personally play unmodded, though there are good mods out there for sure.

Good luck with Spess!

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Bah, mechjeb can't get my ships into orbit either. So I guess I'm building them wrong (lol, I'm following the same principles so why did my previous ones work?).

I took a break from KSP, and started shadow warrior 2. If you're into good mindless killing/go here to finish level type games this is a must buy! Feeling like a combination of doom and skyrim (I actually like the melee here BETTER, even if it feels a little more... airy? [doesn't feel like your actually hitting things with a weapon]) and choked full of cheesey humor this game satisfies that old run'n'gun fps itch while bringing some modern concepts into the mix.

You get skill points as you progress to increase you abilities, health/healing amount/ammo count/ ammo drop/ magic/ the effectiveness of special moves and weapons. And you can also modify your weapons with 'gems' changing their stats, some are just basic buffs but others will also change the way your weapon works entirely (put a # projectiles increase on a GL for some fun!) and is really reminiscent of two world's 2's magic system.

Edit: Had to take care of something, now I can continue.

Ammo is handled in a pseudo-global system, having small bullets, medium bullets, large bullets (I assume), projectiles, and energy weapon rounds (only one I've got is meh so I can't remember), some gems alter the ammo consumption of a given weapon.

Levels are rather large, giving you the option of just going straight for an objective leaving a trail of death in your wake or clearing out every mob and finding every loot chest/collectable in the level.

Have I mentioned that I've only gotten through 3 main missions and one side mission?

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Quick casual, short review
Helldivers

Helldivers is a surprisingly well made semi-casual game (You can pick it up, do a few runs of 20 minutes each and then drop it, or play for hours) that allows for a decent amount of optimizing. Mainly group based, it has a good matchmaking system that lets you literally drop in on someone with a drop pod and get right into the action. Or you can make a pre-made group and plan out your entire mission before launching. All this, for Super-Earth.

There are a large amount of weapons available, most well balanced and almost all viable, useful, and easy to use. (Point the loud end at the enemy), with plenty more called in 'stratagems' which range from defensive turrets to airstrikes, to supply drops. There is plenty of variety should you feel like playing with a different style for a change, and it's all viable. The only thing is that you may need to upgrade your items a bit before they reach their full potential.
Upgrading items is easy enough, with the upgrades clear on what they give you, and not too hard to get. You find samples during missions and 10 of these become one research point. It's fast enough to be noticeable progress, but also slow enough that you don't get to just unlock everything and then ignore it.

There are three different kinds of enemies, all with recognizable themes while their mechanics are different enough to be interesting in their own ways, requiring slightly different tactics or loadouts. The game's theme is excellent, with some small bits of humour in the over-the-top Super-Earth and the player character's zeal in spreading democracy. A few very well made one liners and a great overall wholesome fitting theme works well for pulling you in and giving the game a great identity that is worth coming back to.

With missions seeming to be randomly generated, the ability to drop in on any game or to team up with friends while using a varied, well balanced arsenal puts Helldivers firmly in the category of "Good games". Without any noticeable flaws and gameplay that keeps you entertained, it is certainly worth it.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Helldivers is a fun game, but there really are only a few optimal weapon/gear combos. If you have the laser carbine, the recoilless rifle and someone to reload it for you, you can take on pretty much everything.
My biggest complaint with the game is that you're either easily killing off the patrols before they can raise the alarm, or if you're playing against the Cyborgs you can have the tank drop in on you and call reinforcements before you can even bring any AT to bear.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, some combinations are just flat out better than others

But everything is viable still, as long as you use it well. (And bring some AT on higher difficulties)

Absintheur

Reputation score

Helldivers was fun, but unfortunately I prefer to play multiplayer games with my friend, and we had the problem that the missions are super hard -- if not impossible with just two players. Or that's how we experienced it, honestly we kinda gave it up pretty soon. It might get easier in the long run. We tend to prefer to play just the two of us, rather than a larger group.

The most fun, however, that game has is when you move to the drop-pods and if you move the stick just a teeensy bit so that the guy is moving there really slowly, his shuffle looks hilarious.