What's new

Games Discussion Thread

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

A reality that is virtually generated, of course.

I suppose you were expecting an example, such as the holodeck on the enterprise, or the matrix yes?

While I don't feel comfortable confining my definition to such a narrow degree I can be more specific. A virtual reality device should be something that without prior knowledge, anyone interacting with it should be unaware that what they are experiencing is not real in the classic definition.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I didn't want examples of things that were VR, I wanted examples of things you think VR should do for you, and you're still being pretty vague. Without prior knowledge? You're saying that it should fit reality to such a T, that if someone put one on you, when you woke up, you wouldn't know the difference? Not only is that incredibly strong of an opinion, that's not even feasible, short of giving people schizophrenia. People will always know they have a helmet in. Even the VR's in Minority Report had people in machines that they could, no doubt, feel. The rest of that seems to be also dependent on graphics and AI.

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

VR in 2016 = 3d(depth perception) headmounted screen with headtracking. HAHAHA!

What i want to do is plug myself into a computer, connect my coinciousness to it allowing for full/pure immersion.
But this is a dream i have, its not likely to happen in my lifetime.

Honestly, escaping reality is the goal for me.
Yeah im fucked up and thats not gonna change.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't get that though... does it really work?

I mean, if I want pizza, then someone hands me a salad and says "Here's your pizza!", I'm not going to be all "Yay! pizza!".

I don't have the highest opinion of the rest of our species, but are they really that dumb as a general rule?
Yes
Yes they are

"4G" in mobile phone networks is your example case here.
People wanted 4G because 4G was a standard for how fast networks are supposed to be. Like a benchmark of sorts. It technically means being able to transmit at 1000Mbit/s(Or 125MB/s) when not moving or only moving slowly.
The current networks marketed as being "4G" are actually just 3G with some updates(Except ONE in south korea, which is actually 4G), but since all phone companies started claiming being 4G the official definition was changed from being a measurement of speed to being the "Fourth Generation", and thus being "4G" and legally allowed to be marketed as being such.

A similar thing here, except without the official standards. As there are no official standards of VR, these "VR" headsets can be marketed as such and there is nothing anyone can do to call them out on not being virtual reality. Since Virtual Reality is not a solid term with (legally applicable) definitions. You can be sold a rock and told it's a "VR rock", and you can not really say it isn't a VR rock, just a rock. Since there is no official definition as to what makes a VR into VR.

In your analogy, it would be like having pizza constructed by scientists and shown to the public as a concept. Then companies started selling bread with tomato sauce in it and going "These are pizzas. Enjoy!"
Technically dough and tomato sauce are part of a pizza, and there is no legal definition of a pizza in this example case. So they are fully allowed to claim this and nobody except the people who were into pizza and pizza science before it became public would know the difference, and if you explain it to people most won't care or feel like getting a pizza as shown in the concept idea would be way too advanced for humanity and so we should be 'happy with what we can get'.

Marketing is the art of telling lies and making people happy about it. Long enough to get their money anyway

--
But my own stance on it is
Let me know when they have tacile simulation. Only then will I consider them to be even remotely close to VR.
Putting on a headset and placing some computer screens really close to the eyes is not an innovation, it's just the same sensory output that we are used to from digital machines applied in a slightly different way.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I didn't want examples of things that were VR, I wanted examples of things you think VR should do for you, and you're still being pretty vague. Without prior knowledge? You're saying that it should fit reality to such a T, that if someone put one on you, when you woke up, you wouldn't know the difference? Not only is that incredibly strong of an opinion, that's not even feasible, short of giving people schizophrenia. People will always know they have a helmet in. Even the VR's in Minority Report had people in machines that they could, no doubt, feel. The rest of that seems to be also dependent on graphics and AI.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Once you plug in, there's no perceivable difference in your experiences than what you would have in the physical world. Perhaps dulled senses as your nervous system would be trying to send that information to your brain at the same time as the VR device (easily circumvented by customized wetware for each individual). Of course you'd have interface menus, and not all software would be focused on providing such a realistic experience; video games (that aren't dopey 'look, we can do this' or tech demos), or professional communication applications.

Anything less than this is either AUGMENTED reality, or just another (really complex) interface/display combo.

As for schizophrenia, you'd know more about this than me so I'm just spitballing, but I'd think that once again customized wetware implants could prevent that problem as well. First by having a forced disconnect feature; Bring up your menu (which would be a hard-coded separate system accessible to only the user, anytime, no matter which program they were running) and activate the forced disconnect, it breaks the connection that it's been transmitting to your brain and loads up a "safe room" to ease your mind back into the physical world. Along with the forced disconnect feature, it should also have a function to tell you if/when it's in use also generating a 'passphrase' that you can set to know that it is not a simulation either. I believe this combination would allow the user of a VR device to know whether or not they were in the physical world or a virtual one.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

In other words, an experience akin to SAO, log horizon or maybe even Re:Zero in terms of immersion?

I think that'd become fairly dangerous then, sort of taking away from the pull of games as well(for a lot of people, an alternative world that you can be carefree in). Maybe it'd lead to more people going out in our own world then... But I hope it never it gets that advanced.

Or employers getting into it... Imagine, coming home from work and then doing your virtual job for another eight hours -_-

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Stardew Valley is getting a new update. Two more characters are now eligible to marry, different types of farms at creation, new crops and artisan goods!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Stardew Valley is getting a new update. Two more characters are now eligible to marry, different types of farms at creation, new crops and artisan goods!
OH MY GOD!

I powergamed my first playthrough and totally forgot to finish! Got to the second year and had everything unlocked and a partner set up to marry...

Honestly, what I really want is the ability to romance ANYBODY! I want the carpenter for my wife damnit! Just think about the bonuses! FREE BUILDINGS!

In other words, an experience akin to SAO, log horizon or maybe even Re:Zero in terms of immersion?

I think that'd become fairly dangerous then, sort of taking away from the pull of games as well(for a lot of people, an alternative world that you can be carefree in). Maybe it'd lead to more people going out in our own world then... But I hope it never it gets that advanced.
Sure! But what do you believe to be dangerous about it? The scenario in SAO is preposterous (though I forget the specifics, I don't believe there was an explosive in the device or anything), as if no-one could write a program to circumvent whatever the genius fuck had done and disconnect players safely from the game!

Same thing with matrix unplugging death thing, the device automatically throws you into the "safe room" if the connection is broken (And really, you shouldn't die, it's not as if your mind has left your body, it literally cannot work like that. Though the mental shock may have severe negative effects.) which would be a required feature, can't have you're user-base possibly turning into a bunch of tards every time there's a power outage right?

I don't even have a clue what you mean about working another 8 hours... it's not like they don't just make you do that now anyway if they're pricks. Besides, you wouldn't be sleeping when using a VR device, so they'd work you to exhaustion! <Once again, they'll do that now if they're pricks and you don't stand up for yourself.

Last edited:

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, that's straying a bit more into mind jacking and all the dangers there (even if it means not taking four years+ of education, wouldn't want technology connected directly to my brain that anyone would have even a slim chance to access!). Think someone hijacking the VR and displaying something psychologically scarring, mental trauma is the danger I think

*SNIPPY*
I don't even have a clue what you mean about working another 8 hours... it's not like they don't just make you do that now anyway if they're pricks. Besides, you wouldn't be sleeping when using a VR device, so they'd work you to exhaustion! <Once again, they'll do that now if they're pricks and you don't stand up for yourself.
Perhaps I just watch too much Doctor Who :D, kind of off topic but there's an episode for a future earth where a company invents a sleeping pod that basically eliminates sleep with no consequences... Because time spent sleeping could be better used working >.>. But back to it, if you can be immersed in the VR during sleep, what's to stop it turning into more work time? Some people already work two shifts a day, if enough people got on it labour would probably decrease in value, leading to yet people working more shifts every day. Not something I want to see in my working life, or anyone else's.

Think the SAO players were threatened with their brains being fried, can't really remember what reason try have though. Anyway, just my five cents!

Last edited:

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

Imagine a game where you live in a vn like re:zero. Lol I'll never come back to real life again. :p

Also anyone getting pokemon sun and moon? Cause I'm getting moon. :D

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hell, I'd never think of this world again! Except my fam... I'd bring them :)

Especially if it was a world you could die no issue, like, say Angel Beats, that'd be pretty awesome place to live in! Poke a girl's butt no issue ;) (that's a reference by the way...)

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Imagine a game where you live in a vn like re:zero. Lol I'll never come back to real life again. :p
You want to feel the actual pain of dying? At least in SAO the pain is dulled.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So, Mafia III. It's the first Mafia game I actually played, so I don't have any direct comparison, but it feels... lackluster. Not bad, mind you. A 7/10 if I were a critic whose opinion is worth a damn. The game is very mission-focused, and most of what you do in these missions boils down to the same thing: Drive somewhere, shoot some people in the face. Granted, it feels like every way you approach that is valid - going in heavy yields just as good a result as stealth does. But the game never really seems to stretch beyond that, and I'm 18 hours into it at this point. There don't seem to be any diversions like in GTA or Saint's Row, where you could kick back and play some golf (or level city blocks with rocket launchers and super powers).

The characters are certainly the high point of the game. Special shout-out to Burke, that unabashedly racist Irish bastard you recruit. Your player character, Lincoln Clay, seems likeable enough for the story to work, but he never really moves beyond "functional," at least so far.

Also, I've been driving like a mad man, and the cops didn't stop me once.

Last edited:
Reactions: XSI

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sorry to bring this up again but heres Jim and his words on "VR"

HAHAHA!

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You want to feel the actual pain of dying? At least in SAO the pain is dulled.
Contrary to popular belief, dying is no more painful than getting seriously injured(not that thats fun).. just more final. Interesting question would be if we get the hormones that limit the pain along the way.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That seems unprovable at the moment.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Technically it can be proven if you can gather a bunch of people wired up to a few scans and sensors and then kill them slowly and check if the brain registers more pain on the moment of death than on the suffering before it.

But understandably, this violates pretty much every ethics code out there.

On games- Heroes and Generals. It's still a joke, devs still can't do balance and the generals portion of the game may as well not exist for how much you get to do with it. Also it's incredibly rough on microtransactions.
Gameplay is decent, but the maps are simple and repetitive, and not very good.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Technically tabletop gaming (pretty sure I made that excuse before but...)

Fuck the main meat of this video, I'm more interested in the last five seconds thank you very much!