What's new

Frequently Asked Questions and Problems (Tech Questions Go Here!)

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Frequently Asked Questions and Problems (Tech Questions Go Here!)

Does anyone use Visual Novel Reader? Lately, I've been having issues with it when I try to play RPG Maker VX Ace games. It keeps crashing, with the message that pythonw.exe has stopped working. Anyone know how to sort this? Sometimes it will be okay for a few lines of dialogue and then crash. If I disable showing translations it works fine - I can see it's hooking the data okay, and I can make it display the game text on screen. But when I try to make it show the translated text it crashes.

Maltzi

Reputation score
Need help translating this error

I just downloaded a old game i played 5 years ago and i got this error shown in the picture.

It comes up when i start the launcher file.
I have the system on japanese locale

thx in advance

Attachments

chrisroxxx

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Does anyone use Visual Novel Reader? Lately, I've been having issues with it when I try to play RPG Maker VX Ace games. It keeps crashing, with the message that pythonw.exe has stopped working. Anyone know how to sort this? Sometimes it will be okay for a few lines of dialogue and then crash. If I disable showing translations it works fine - I can see it's hooking the data okay, and I can make it display the game text on screen. But when I try to make it show the translated text it crashes.

Hmm, I used a variety of text hookers, but alot of times they crashed, I did switch to hooking with ITH and machine translation with translationaggregator, never had a problem with those 2, no errors crashes whatsoever, maybe give ITH a try it's very simplistic software, but it didn't fail me, yet...ITH is also very good if you want to look for stuff in the rpg maker vx ace script editor...

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hmm, I used a variety of text hookers, but alot of times they crashed, I did switch to hooking with ITH and machine translation with translationaggregator, never had a problem with those 2, no errors crashes whatsoever, maybe give ITH a try it's very simplistic software, but it didn't fail me, yet...ITH is also very good if you want to look for stuff in the rpg maker vx ace script editor...
Yeah, I have ITH and AGTH and can always revert to using them, but I've been liking a lot of the options and things VNR gives. Looks like I'm not the only one with the issue, either:

Since it was working previously, I guess it's something in an VNR update that broke things? Maybe a patch will fix it.

charlieguo

Reputation score

Hello all, I've been having trouble playing certain VX Ace games. When I try to run the game.exe, the game window will open up, but it freezes and hangs on a black screen without even an error message popping up. It responds to nothing so I had no choice but to force terminate the program. I've tried reinstalling the VX Ace RTPs but it doesnt change the issue. This issue only happens to some vx ace games where as others run perfectly fine.

I apologise if this issue have already been resolved in any previous posts, but I may have missed something while scrolling through 31 pages of posts.

Thanks in advance!

fagballs

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Hello all, I've been having trouble playing certain VX Ace games. When I try to run the game.exe, the game window will open up, but it freezes and hangs on a black screen without even an error message popping up. It responds to nothing so I had no choice but to force terminate the program. I've tried reinstalling the VX Ace RTPs but it doesnt change the issue. This issue only happens to some vx ace games where as others run perfectly fine.

I apologise if this issue have already been resolved in any previous posts, but I may have missed something while scrolling through 31 pages of posts.

Thanks in advance!
You installed the RTP while in japanese locale? If not: try that.

Symbol errors during extraction with bad archivers should give error messages in RPG maker.

whitecode

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

i was thinking....
maybe we could add a new forum specially for DMM and nutaku games? since this is a big genre here....

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Yeah, I have ITH and AGTH and can always revert to using them, but I've been liking a lot of the options and things VNR gives. Looks like I'm not the only one with the issue, either:

Since it was working previously, I guess it's something in an VNR update that broke things? Maybe a patch will fix it.
Well, now I have the weirdest bug with VNR. It crashes when it tries to translate certain particular words when they show up in the text. It's fine at hooking them (because if I turn translations off, no crash) but when it tries to translate them - bam! In particular, it was doing it every time Gwendolyn's name was mentioned (in katakana) in text in Virgin Protection Magic. Not sure if it's a particular katakana causing problems, or it just doesn't like them, or what...

hyperk2

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

i was thinking....
maybe we could add a new forum specially for DMM and nutaku games? since this is a big genre here....
I second this. When the top 5 threads in a row are all nutaku games, I know something's up.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

i was thinking....
I was considering that as well. But I feel like we might end up starting a spiral of just continuously making sub-forum after sub-forum of different types of games. Like for instance, we might end up making a sub-forum for just RPG Maker games. Then we might want to make a section for just western games. And then there's just a massive number of sub-forums you need to keep peeling back just to get to the actual thread.

But I do get what you mean. It's kind of annoying seeing the entire front page just have Nutaku games, especially since they are constantly getting posts, meaning they never leave the front page.

reaper89

Demon Girl
Reputation score

ok. so ive asked this question before and still have no idea what is going on.

when i start a wolf rgp game the screen flashes black then its as if the gamwe has restarted, but only now the controls are unresponsive.

would this be an rtp problem? im on a new computer now (well old laptop that worked before) thats been reset to factory specs, switched to jap local, and then ive unzipped and installed all the rtp and vx files. same as games, jap local.

has anyone ever come accross this error or problem before?
please help, im missing out on so many games because of this.

i downloaded rtp and all that through the links on this forum too.
i appreciate any help.

Asphyx

Reputation score

Is there an inventory editor for VX Ace games? I know there's one for XP and VX but i've never seen anything for Ace.

No matter what search terms on google I use I cant find one though. Any ideas?

rjo

Reputation score

This might sound kind of stupid but I remember seeing a screenshot or a program someone used to organize their game library, does anyone know of or have a program?

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

You're probably thinking of this.

rjo

Reputation score

That was it, thanks.

and did you just sticky it because I really hope i'm not that blind.

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Ahh, sorry mate, but it really was always stickied.

Devilbringer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

not sure if this is where to ask but is there anyway you can search through common even data like you can with script ctrl+shift+f to look for words in rpg maker vx ace?

hyperk2

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

not sure if this is where to ask but is there anyway you can search through common even data like you can with script ctrl+shift+f to look for words in rpg maker vx ace?
The best way I can think of (maybe the only way) that I use myself is to use the rpgmaker trans tool from habisain. It can extract all the text from the game including the common events. From there you can just use the tool itself, or you can look at the context information in the text file to find where the text is within the rpgmaker program itself if you're looking to make edits.

Devilbringer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Not sure if i should be asking this here but oh well lol. Was wondering if anyone knew a way to rename more than one picture file at a time but only part of it for example here is the name of two pictures
201_example_a
201_example_b
and i want to rename the part example to say photo so that they all change to
201_photo_a
201_photo_b
if anyone knows a shortcut please pm im attempting to translate something but for each outfiit there are about 30 pics for each one an if you translate the outfit then the standing, combat an some event pics disappear if you don't rename all the files with a portion of the outfits name in it:(

Edit: found a program that did it for me:)

Last edited:

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

(Assuming windows) Ordinary batch files aren't really powerful enough to do this, but powershell is: