What's new

[English RPG game] New paths [0.0.7][06.12.2016][PATREON ONLY]

kayhole

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Re: [English RPG game] New paths [0.0.7][06.12.2016][PATREON ONLY]

0.7E i enter to talk to boss he talks to me after she leaves it repeats and she gets stuck in front of vending machine. Anyone else encounter this?

voyeurkind

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

So, I've played .09B and an earlier version. I really want to like and enjoy this game, but I probably won't. These are the reasons why:

* The game is ridiculously resource intensive, most likely due to the cloud, fog and rain animations. I know I'm not the only one reporting this issue, maybe it's time to address it.

* There is zero point to the lifeguard training. Why spend all of that time and money learning to be a lifeguard when it pays less than being a garbage collector? Sure, you could do both, but then there's no time to pursue anything else.

* Where's the H content? Not only is there next to nothing--at least as far as I've gotten in the game--but there seems to be little opportunity for anything either. Why doesn't Harry try to peep on her while she's changing? Why aren't the guys around town pursuing her more actively?

* The story is taking way too long to develop. This time around, I decided to do the garbage collector route, and it just seems like you're going through the motions every day with nothing happening. Also, it's impossible to save up money and advance because...

* The stat hits you take--especially the hunger stats--are way too severe as you get further into the game. More than once I've died from hunger despite having a huge breakfast after a day of work. That's not only unrealistic, it's ridiculous. As the character's speed and fitness improve, the amount of energy and hunger consumed by work should decrease, not increase.

There are a handful of suggestions that I think could improve this game:

* If the main character can go to the capitol and get a job with no experience, why can't Brian? I know it's primarily being done to create an opportunity for negotiation, but that could be done in a different way, such as Forman threatening to fire her dad, or someone else for that matter of fact. Brian is able-bodied but sitting on his duff all day playing video games.

* Speaking of which, once you get the quest of cleaning up the community center, why can't the main character recruit people to help her out? That could be an opportunity to barter for favors and such. Along those lines, some sort of fundraiser might be cool too, such as a car wash or something else that could raise corruption a little.

* It's a good that you can skip the intro at the beginning. Might I suggest that you make the opening cut-scenes at the protagonist's home and the cut-scene where her father shows her around the mine skippable as well? Once a player has played the game once, watching all of that a second time is a bit of a waste of time.Your game is meant to be replayable, and doing this can make it a more enjoyable experience.

This game has some promise, but it also has a great many weaknesses as well. If some of those weaknesses are addressed, it could be considerably better.

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I haven't gone near this game since (checks dates) the end of December (0.07e) but I do remember a few things.
The game's resource-hoggishness comes from the scripting. From what I've heard, it's not that well optimised. All those minor animations are a nice touch (fog bloom is a resource hog) but I wonder if it's possible to use options to disable them. There's one other option I'd like to see presented before the game actually starts: Disable Voice Samples. That way, her high-pitched shrieking won't make my ears bleed and I could start to enjoy the game again.

Issues:
The only point I can see to the Lifeguard training is the outfit which, admittedly isn't much. You'd think it'd pay better than picking up rubbish.

I've only noticed a few scenes as well: Bathing, Masturbation, Handjob and Blowjob. So, there's not much but at the same time it's an early version.

The garbage collector job is too grindy. Seems like everybody in town is a filthy pig that just throws garbage everywhere. Are there no litter bins?

I agree on the stat hit issue. You do burn more calories when you work but you're never left to starve (IRL, anyway) so the player character should be able to bring a packed lunch to stave off death by starvation.

Suggestions:
Well... yeah, Brian's lazy. I often wonder if should have an internet job or something. But there should be some kind of exposition about why he would rather sit at home on his arse watching the family's descent into bankruptcy.

Cleaning up the community center must be a later build than what I have. It does sound like a wasted chance, though.

It could be easily implemented by just adding in a couple of options the skip box, something along these lines:
Watch Intro
Skip Intro
Bypass All

Each available scene should have the option to skip. Sounds easy enough (and I know virtually nothing about RPGMV code) but instead of slotting it into every scene, write it out once, make it a Common Event and call as needed.

I know it might seem like I'm ragging on it, but most of voyeurkind's issues are things I've come across too. Once sorted, as vk said, it'll have the makings of something excellent.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I haven't gone near this game since (checks dates) the end of December (0.07e) but I do remember a few things.
The game's resource-hoggishness comes from the scripting. From what I've heard, it's not that well optimised. All those minor animations are a nice touch (fog bloom is a resource hog) but I wonder if it's possible to use options to disable them. There's one other option I'd like to see presented before the game actually starts: Disable Voice Samples. That way, her high-pitched shrieking won't make my ears bleed and I could start to enjoy the game again.
(...)
I forgot about this for a while...
But from what I see, saying earlier that he overdid it with plugins... He added more stuff.
If I remember correctly, even someone on RPG maker forum said that his research was bs and too much logic will give such results. Ok, he tried to find a problem, that's good. No one said results needs to be pretty.

Yeah, I just remembered those voices... that "mommy!" at the start, laughter and such... on scale from cringe to creepy.

If memory serves me right, drunknescafe himself said he have no idea about programming. That's fine, rpg maker was made in a way you should be ok without that knowledge.
And because of that, I will say it again: There are too many damn plugins. From what I saw last time, huge chunk of the stuff could be reduced and optimized with basic/intermediate knowledge of Javascript. Some things are just fancy visuals that work against the game.
And that's pretty much how it is:
Armor made of pure gold is fancy af, but so heavy, it cripples you.
Also, gold is such soft metal, it's just too shitty for an armor.

voyeurkind

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

There's one other option I'd like to see presented before the game actually starts: Disable Voice Samples. That way, her high-pitched shrieking won't make my ears bleed and I could start to enjoy the game again.
I hadn't even noticed this because I tend to disable the sound of every game that I play. I'd rather listen to my own music.

asquire

Reputation score

* The stat hits you take--especially the hunger stats--are way too severe as you get further into the game. More than once I've died from hunger despite having a huge breakfast after a day of work. That's not only unrealistic, it's ridiculous. As the character's speed and fitness improve, the amount of energy and hunger consumed by work should decrease, not increase.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but this comment might at least give you a bad work around for this issue. Loading a game is broken. If you load a game while actively playing the stat hits get worse and worse. I.e. an activity that has a cost of 20% of your hunger will start costing 40, 60, 100+. EVERY time you want to load a game you must completely shut it down (quit/close the window/etc). You can then launch the game anew and immediately load your save. Costs will return to what they are supposed to be.

It isn't elegant. It isn't logical. And if you are like me, you load a save without even thinking about it. Then you find yourself dying all the time and unable to do even the simplest actions without needing to go back to bed. He either did, or is planning to, put in a warning about this in the game. That isn't a good solution and likely won't even be understood by most players, but it's a band-aid that will be better than nothing when it's in until an actual fix is (hopefully) done.

Cailveh

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Well, I see a lot people complaining about the hunger-hygiene system you created... it's good, but it's just too complex and unnecessary... it's not the focus in that kind of game.
You need to find ways to make her do naughty things in funny and unexpected ways, that's the real deal!
If you want to use a hunger system, do something like the usual rpgs... food = hp recovery, done. And she used hp for everything. But to feel hungry by time is really boring...

I agree about what people talk about Brian... damn, he could find a way to sell photos of her sister in the internet doing different things... he could spy her going to the bar, or something like that... there's really no point in putting a adopted brother in the story if he's just gonna be a useless dude that can't do a thing to his sister. She could dominate him and make him to be something really powerful in the game.

smitrano

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

save file anyone?

bravo8946

Reputation score

a mv save editor any 1 need it ?

Leo83105206

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Okay trying to get Brian a Job, and Perry said I should reveal myself to people in in the harbor. No one was there. And the quest mark says I need to speak to Perry but when I try it give a messages that Ishe doesn't want too. Did I miss something?

Seipher

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Anyone have a download link thats different then the one on patreon? The one on patreon is flipping out like its constantly refreshing itself

deepsleep

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

How I can do Joga stuff with that friend ?

Cailveh

Demon Girl
Reputation score

How I can do Joga stuff with that friend ?
First you need to pay 100g for one of the guys inside the building next to the basketball place
And then, you need to clean all the trash inside the building with your friend (be aware that you can die if you lose too much hp, or was a bug, dunno)
Go to the capital, and buy a item there, can't remember which one, it's a pink thing for yoga

demidemon

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I'm happy to see you finally hired a programmer. This should probably fix all the bugs, spikes and optimization problems. To be fair, in the public versions I've played, the events were so buggy that I had to save every time before and after I talked to a NPC. It's because talking to NPC in the wrong order seemed to block/bug certain events and sometimes you would be stuck in the toilet etc.

Will the game still be developed in RPGMV? I see that you are letting players to set the body size of Suzie but I haven't seen any RPGMV games that handles 3D rendering properly. Does it mean you are switching to another engine and reworking everything?

EDIT: nvm about the game engine, I read on discord that you are using unreal engine for New Paths chapter 2. That would be a hell load of work but it should be done coz RPGMV is just a terrible engine for a simulation game (kinda) anyway

Last edited:

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I'm happy to see you finally hired a programmer. This should probably fix all the bugs, spikes and optimization problems. To be fair, in the public versions I've played, the events were so buggy that I had to save every time before and after I talked to a NPC. It's because talking to NPC in the wrong order seemed to block/bug certain events and sometimes you would be stuck in the toilet etc.

Will the game still be developed in RPGMV? I see that you are letting players to set the body size of Suzie but I haven't seen any RPGMV games that handles 3D rendering properly. Does it mean you are switching to another engine and reworking everything?

EDIT: nvm about the game engine, I read on discord that you are using unreal engine for New Paths chapter 2. That would be a hell load of work but it should be done coz RPGMV is just a terrible engine for a simulation game (kinda) anyway

OK - I remember how bad this got (just re-downloaded the 0.10 demo) and ran into so many bugs and just complete lockup and lag time - and deleted like I last did a couple months ago). Hopefully this can finally be optimized, because as it is right now it is virtually unplayable (demo).

I WANT this to work - I REALLY do, but I really want to see something that will eventually get us back to as far into the story as we had a YEAR ago - before the move to MV, and it was still VX. Please - it just needs complete optimization.

Let me make this clear - MV is great as an engine for a complex RPG (I am following many of these) but this game is NOT a RPG - it is more of a visual novel and should move to an engine that can handle that - something without the battle mechanic as a basis and more of a interactive role. Renpy, or Unity. I hope this is the direction, but - as a follower and not a Patreon - all I can do is add my input...