What's new

[Challenge] Make a short h-game in 72 hours!

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Re: [Challenge] Make a short h-game in 72 hours!

Yes, but of all the conditions to choose, I just don't think it makes sense to choose one that puts off like 50% of H-game devs >_>. I think you'd be better off without it.
Probably, but think that whatever arbitrary condition I could put in whether as a theme or thing would put off a large part of the h-devs.
I just went and chose the one thing that looked like the most generic thing I could think of.

nonoplayer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Interesting idea, but I agree too many rules put it off for me. The fun part is to come up with ways to hack something together within the time limit. Though some people have to work at least one to two days within the 72 hrs, so short that its just never meant for somebody even if they have interest >_<

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Interesting idea, but I agree too many rules put it off for me. The fun part is to come up with ways to hack something together within the time limit. Though some people have to work at least one to two days within the 72 hrs, so short that its just never meant for somebody even if they have interest >_<
I thought it was 72 hours from when you state your interest? like my 72 hours have started cause i posted the name of my game and what im making it in

nonoplayer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I thought it was 72 hours from when you state your interest? like my 72 hours have started cause i posted the name of my game and what im making it in
I think its better to have it be self mandatory, since there is no real way to track how much time each individual have spent on it.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Well, as Azure kinda mentioned, it's 72 hours since the moment you say that you're starting.
I probably got to review and rewrite the rules because basically the only rules are "has to have h-content" and "no h-content if you lose", aside from the time limit. I might have gone a bit too far putting things in that OP though.

nonoplayer

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Well, as Azure kinda mentioned, it's 72 hours since the moment you say that you're starting.
I probably got to review and rewrite the rules because basically the only rules are "has to have h-content" and "no h-content if you lose", aside from the time limit. I might have gone a bit too far putting things in that OP though.
Ah no worry, I couldn't make it anyway, unless the 72 hrs can be stretched across the month XD

It might be more possible if we make it into a team contest and organize roles for each team member, such as animator, graphic, programmer etc. The quality of the contents might turn out okay. Ah...I can dream ^O^, sorry for getting too far away from your topic.

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Ah no worry, I couldn't make it anyway, unless the 72 hrs can be stretched across the month XD

It might be more possible if we make it into a team contest and organize roles for each team member, such as animator, graphic, programmer etc. The quality of the contents might turn out okay. Ah...I can dream ^O^, sorry for getting too far away from your topic.
That actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe sometime in the future?
Haha, and don't worry about going far from the topic, I'd say it's hard to go off-topic in this one.
Just take some time to check the games that get made after this is over, if you can spare it.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe sometime in the future?
Haha, and don't worry about going far from the topic, I'd say it's hard to go off-topic in this one.
Just take some time to check the games that get made after this is over, if you can spare it.
that format sounds like a streaming sort of thing to keep track of the time youre working

LustFire

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I actually became very interested in testing myself within 72 hours, but I suddenly was ordered to draw a title screen with 2 chibis. ._. Feels like a weird decision, but hey.. least it's part of the contest.

Maybe I'll get the chance next time, but I don't program games to make myself independent (for this kind of challenge).

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Fair enough. The first game I ever finished was actually made in under 24 hours because someone challenged me to do it, so I can see how some people might see such a challenge as a reason to try and push themselves.

Of course, H-games are going to be inherently more difficult to make in a short amount of time. You can make a spaceship sprite in under a minute and make a fun game, but you can't really do an effective sex animation in under a minute. I feel like if you were going to make an H game in 24 hours you would either have to be good at traditional animation, or good at doing small, fast CGs.
True for us 3d artists as well. I don't think I would attempt it if it were a 24 hour limit, it takes me about an hour to throw together a decent animation, and that's if I have some models already setup the way I want with their materials and they are already rigged. I could do one faster, but it would look very wooden/stiff. But this is 72 hours, I think it may be doable if I devote the whole second day to animations.

That being said, I'll start now.
Title: Space Slaver!
Engine: Construct 2
The basic idea: Autoscrolling shmup where you play an (slightly crazy) alien out to capture earth women and sell them into sexual slavery. After each stage, you get an animation of the "results", which the player can control to some extent (depending on how much time I have left).

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

True for us 3d artists as well. I don't think I would attempt it if it were a 24 hour limit, it takes me about an hour to throw together a decent animation, and that's if I have some models already setup the way I want with their materials and they are already rigged. I could do one faster, but it would look very wooden/stiff. But this is 72 hours, I think it may be doable if I devote the whole second day to animations.

That being said, I'll start now.
Title: Space Slaver!
Engine: Construct 2
The basic idea: Autoscrolling shmup where you play an (slightly crazy) alien out to capture earth women and sell them into sexual slavery. After each stage, you get an animation of the "results", which the player can control to some extent (depending on how much time I have left).
im only making a game with 4cg still :)

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

True for us 3d artists as well. I don't think I would attempt it if it were a 24 hour limit, it takes me about an hour to throw together a decent animation, and that's if I have some models already setup the way I want with their materials and they are already rigged. I could do one faster, but it would look very wooden/stiff.
Yeah, 3d sort of becomes more beneficial over a long period of time. You could do like 4 2d animations in the time it takes you to model and rig a character, but from that point on, animating a model is much faster than working in 2d, and the 3d artist would eventually outpace the 2d animator in terms of the amount of content.

Although it depends on the detail of either, since smal res traditional animation can be done pretty quickly, whereas in many cases, lower-res 3d animation may not effect the time it takes to animate every much.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

im only making a game with 4cg still :)
I'm thinking 5 or 6 stages. I may just go with 4, finish the game, and add up to 2 more if time allows.

Yeah, 3d sort of becomes more beneficial over a long period of time. You could do like 4 2d animations in the time it takes you to model and rig a character, but from that point on, animating a model is much faster than working in 2d, and the 3d artist would eventually outpace the 2d animator in terms of the amount of content.

Although it depends on the detail of either, since smal res traditional animation can be done pretty quickly, whereas in many cases, lower-res 3d animation may not effect the time it takes to animate every much.
Resolution would only affect your animation time if it were enough of a difference that you had to add more detailed movement or set up better materials, you're animating the same figures regardless of what resolution you tell the engine to render. To put it differently, in 3d you decide your resolution *after* you animate.
Now your render time, on the other hand, would be affected. (assuming you're making sprites and not making a full 3d engine) Strangely enough, other things affect render time more than resolution. Your render engine makes the biggest difference, they all calculate light differently, and the time difference can be pretty drastic (like hours versus minutes). Next is your settings, like lighting quality and type and how many effects you turn on. Resolution is really the last factor, but it multiplies the time-cost of the others, so it makes a bigger difference at high settings.

hrpgheaven

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: [Challenge] Make a short h-game in 36 hours!

These rules seem really arbitrary and less intended to make for a good contest and more to make games that you would like come out of it.
Sounds like: "Make me an H-Game.... I dare you!"

Not entirely sure if serious.

And where are you even supposed to the the art? did you ever draw anything? 72, you can make a whooping... 3~5 amazing pictures or 100 stick figure ones!

OP
barreytor

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Well, I'm going too to join my own challengething.
My game? "Fractal Dagger of the Twisted Maid"
Heh, funny name that one.
I'll be doing it with RPG Maker VX Ace, using 3D renderthings for most of the sex pictures, though I have to thank Lustfire because he's going to make some of the pictures

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

Resolution would only affect your animation time if it were enough of a difference that you had to add more detailed movement or set up better materials, you're animating the same figures regardless of what resolution you tell the engine to render
To clarify, I was talking about high vs low-poly modelling, more or less.

dot_slave3

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

looks like somebody having fun right now

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

my game can be beaten in under 3 minutes lol