What's new

RPG RPG Maker [Azurezero] Damsel Quest 3 (RE196208)

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Damsel Quest 3 (in development now/early demo done)

On the subject of Malice, just how powerful are we talking? In Witch Lab shes definitely implied to be very powerful, but I wonder if part of the reason was just cause Kana was unarmed in that game.
Like say on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being overpowered status. How powerful is she in general?

Honestly I think the people who didn't like Witch Lab probably didn't dislike it because of the characters, but just cause they don't typically like that style of game or perhaps some other reason. I don't think they would mind seeing the characters again in a different setting. Thats just my two cents.
with the power of that gem she can teleport people into walls and reign supreme over her territory, we're talking akira level magic...but without it she wouldn't be OP.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Today I'm working on one of the early quests, the first proper usage of the slaver type enemies. Should be fun. still need to decide what the loss scenes are gonna be like but the quest trigger and dungeon layout is done already.
gonna be nice putting the girls in those slave outfits though... look forward to it okay!

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

hopefully should get the 2nd quest finished soon, it's a simple rescue mission from a group of slavers. look forward to it.
I already got the basic layout of the city done but i still need to make the inside of the library and populate the city with npcs.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Considering where most of the content is...I'm thinking of removing potions as a thing you can buy, currently it feels a bit too hard to lose to normal enemies...with being able to buy a fuckton of potions and just heal after each fight, youd never get fucked by anyone, and thats just no fun

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Considering where most of the content is...I'm thinking of removing potions as a thing you can buy, currently it feels a bit too hard to lose to normal enemies...with being able to buy a fuckton of potions and just heal after each fight, youd never get fucked by anyone, and thats just no fun
Hm, this reminds me of an argument I heard somewhere about game design:

Spoilered because holy crap wall of text. I like talking game design, apparently.
Many games have an "exhaustion stat" that forces the player periodically to go back to a hub area, rather than keep pushing forward. Examples:
- In a simple hack-and-slash game, this is HP / potion supply. There's very few recovery options, and limited potion slots, so once you're out, you're out and soon dead.
- In traditional JRPG with healing spells, MP does this instead: You can heal up HP between battles, but while restoring MP with potions is possible, those are typically 10-100x more expensive than resting at an inn, so sustaining on potions alone is impractical before late-game.
- In modern western RPGs, armor damage is used: Repair vendors are only available in cities, broken armor becomes useless, and field repair is again exorbitantly expensive.
- In Malise and the Machine, they try to use lust damage for this purpose.
- In some H-RPGs, they use clothing damage, making your character eventually very weak and easily-sexed. Again, on-the-road restore options exist (items, or bringing multiple outfits) but are expensive to discourage use.
- Another option used sometimes is to have some rare status effects that are picked up "in the field" and can only be cured in town, so if you spend too much time outside, you'll be full of penalties.

Note that running out of exhaustion stat typically does not mean immediate gameover: It just makes the game more difficult, as it takes away options and/or makes failure happen faster.
Which sounds like what you're trying to achieve here - a fully rested party has no problem beating off (hurr hurr) the enemies, but things should become more difficult,
particularly if the player is [perhaps intentionally] choosing to throw caution to the wind and see what happens.
I'm using "town" loosely here - it could be a town, it could be a save shrine, it can be anything that requires a "detour" that the player would otherwise not make.

In a way, this also gives the game some measure of user-controllable difficulty, which is a good thing:
A player that likes a challenge may want to see how long they can hold out before they're overwhelmed, while others may choose to play very defensive and slow, because they'd rather avoid running into trouble.

There are, however, some issues to beware of with this strategy:
- Exhaustion stat generally shouldn't deplete within 1-3 battles: If players feel they have to run back to town after every fight or risk losing to RNG, they'll get frustrated quickly.
- Beware of boss battles: Nothing feels worse than to have your save in front of a now-unwinnable boss battle because your exhaustion got beat down before you ever got to the boss. Possible fixes:
+ Make it obvious when the player is about to enter a boss area, so they can keep a reserve of restore items to fill exhaustion back up before engaging the boss
+ Provide a full-restore-and-save shrine before a boss encounter
+ Design levels so that the player unlocks shortcuts as they go through (gathering keys, opening doors, activating teleporters...) so that they get opportunity to return to town without losing progress, and can eventually go straight from town to the boss with few encounters in between that drain exhaustion.

In this game, as far as I've seen, MP does seem like a suitable exhaustion stat, perhaps combined with some statuses (clothing destruction, for instance).
Which does indeed mean that infinite MP potions sort of breaks what you're going for.
But rather than preventing the player from buying them entirely, what I'd suggest:
- Put the carry limit for MP potions at 10 or 20 rather than 99. This turns potions into limited supply, and makes "go back to town and fill up on potions" an exhaustion-recovery mechanism. Make sure that high-level potions are expensive, so players can't just combo different strengths (consider 100 -> 500 -> 2500 or so)
- Make enemies drop potions very rarely, if at all - you'll want to avoid a situation where players keep farming an area to sustain up, it'll feel boring after a while.
- Maybe also put the carry limit for clothing restore items at 5.

Also for this particular game, though, potential problems:
- You'll want to avoid accidentally turning HP into your exhaustion stat: Because HP=0 means immediate death, it's not a fun "now it gets harder" experience. So consider making HP potions cheap and plentiful, and/or provide [out-of-combat?] abilities that can refill HP at a small MP cost, which would still build up over time. Perhaps also make the party regain HP slowly by walking around, and/or giving them slow in-combat HP regen.
- You have recoverable-gameover state, which requires extra care. What you want to avoid is a situation where the player runs into exhaustion, gets partykilled, and then gets frustrated because they're now fully exhausted and only have 1 usable party member, so completing the recover-your-party path becomes almost impossible. Possible fixes:
+ Make partykill provide a full exhaustion restore, so your last character at least has a chance for a bit
+ Place weaker encounters on the recover-your-party path, or scale down encounter size based on current party size, because the party is considerably weaker while recovering
+ Provide alternate paths / dodge room so players can learn to run the walk-of-shame without any encounters until the party is back together. Maybe some of these shortcuts are only accessible to 1-character parties, or come with humiliation/penalty/cutscenes that makes them inadvisable during normal play (say, squeezing through a gap in the perverted tentacle hedge)
+ If all else fails, provide an (optional!) "resurrect at spirit healer and incur resurrection sickness" button, perhaps if the player has died during party recovery 5 times in a row - they should get a choice that they can go back to town and wait until the party members crawl back by themselves - incurring heavy penalties, but allowing a frustrated player to get back to "the real game" without constantly bashing their head into an elevated-difficulty wall.

Anyhow, TL;DR: I'd suggest keeping MP potions buyable but letting you carry only enough for about 3 full party restores. But consider making HP recovery rather easy outside combat. Also be careful that picking party members back up doesn't become frustrating.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hm, this reminds me of an argument I heard somewhere about game design:

Spoilered because holy crap wall of text. I like talking game design, apparently.
Many games have an "exhaustion stat" that forces the player periodically to go back to a hub area, rather than keep pushing forward. Examples:
- In a simple hack-and-slash game, this is HP / potion supply. There's very few recovery options, and limited potion slots, so once you're out, you're out and soon dead.
- In traditional JRPG with healing spells, MP does this instead: You can heal up HP between battles, but while restoring MP with potions is possible, those are typically 10-100x more expensive than resting at an inn, so sustaining on potions alone is impractical before late-game.
- In modern western RPGs, armor damage is used: Repair vendors are only available in cities, broken armor becomes useless, and field repair is again exorbitantly expensive.
- In Malise and the Machine, they try to use lust damage for this purpose.
- In some H-RPGs, they use clothing damage, making your character eventually very weak and easily-sexed. Again, on-the-road restore options exist (items, or bringing multiple outfits) but are expensive to discourage use.
- Another option used sometimes is to have some rare status effects that are picked up "in the field" and can only be cured in town, so if you spend too much time outside, you'll be full of penalties.

Note that running out of exhaustion stat typically does not mean immediate gameover: It just makes the game more difficult, as it takes away options and/or makes failure happen faster.
Which sounds like what you're trying to achieve here - a fully rested party has no problem beating off (hurr hurr) the enemies, but things should become more difficult,
particularly if the player is [perhaps intentionally] choosing to throw caution to the wind and see what happens.
I'm using "town" loosely here - it could be a town, it could be a save shrine, it can be anything that requires a "detour" that the player would otherwise not make.

In a way, this also gives the game some measure of user-controllable difficulty, which is a good thing:
A player that likes a challenge may want to see how long they can hold out before they're overwhelmed, while others may choose to play very defensive and slow, because they'd rather avoid running into trouble.

There are, however, some issues to beware of with this strategy:
- Exhaustion stat generally shouldn't deplete within 1-3 battles: If players feel they have to run back to town after every fight or risk losing to RNG, they'll get frustrated quickly.
- Beware of boss battles: Nothing feels worse than to have your save in front of a now-unwinnable boss battle because your exhaustion got beat down before you ever got to the boss. Possible fixes:
+ Make it obvious when the player is about to enter a boss area, so they can keep a reserve of restore items to fill exhaustion back up before engaging the boss
+ Provide a full-restore-and-save shrine before a boss encounter
+ Design levels so that the player unlocks shortcuts as they go through (gathering keys, opening doors, activating teleporters...) so that they get opportunity to return to town without losing progress, and can eventually go straight from town to the boss with few encounters in between that drain exhaustion.

In this game, as far as I've seen, MP does seem like a suitable exhaustion stat, perhaps combined with some statuses (clothing destruction, for instance).
Which does indeed mean that infinite MP potions sort of breaks what you're going for.
But rather than preventing the player from buying them entirely, what I'd suggest:
- Put the carry limit for MP potions at 10 or 20 rather than 99. This turns potions into limited supply, and makes "go back to town and fill up on potions" an exhaustion-recovery mechanism. Make sure that high-level potions are expensive, so players can't just combo different strengths (consider 100 -> 500 -> 2500 or so)
- Make enemies drop potions very rarely, if at all - you'll want to avoid a situation where players keep farming an area to sustain up, it'll feel boring after a while.
- Maybe also put the carry limit for clothing restore items at 5.

Also for this particular game, though, potential problems:
- You'll want to avoid accidentally turning HP into your exhaustion stat: Because HP=0 means immediate death, it's not a fun "now it gets harder" experience. So consider making HP potions cheap and plentiful, and/or provide [out-of-combat?] abilities that can refill HP at a small MP cost, which would still build up over time. Perhaps also make the party regain HP slowly by walking around, and/or giving them slow in-combat HP regen.
- You have recoverable-gameover state, which requires extra care. What you want to avoid is a situation where the player runs into exhaustion, gets partykilled, and then gets frustrated because they're now fully exhausted and only have 1 usable party member, so completing the recover-your-party path becomes almost impossible. Possible fixes:
+ Make partykill provide a full exhaustion restore, so your last character at least has a chance for a bit
+ Place weaker encounters on the recover-your-party path, or scale down encounter size based on current party size, because the party is considerably weaker while recovering
+ Provide alternate paths / dodge room so players can learn to run the walk-of-shame without any encounters until the party is back together. Maybe some of these shortcuts are only accessible to 1-character parties, or come with humiliation/penalty/cutscenes that makes them inadvisable during normal play (say, squeezing through a gap in the perverted tentacle hedge)
+ If all else fails, provide an (optional!) "resurrect at spirit healer and incur resurrection sickness" button, perhaps if the player has died during party recovery 5 times in a row - they should get a choice that they can go back to town and wait until the party members crawl back by themselves - incurring heavy penalties, but allowing a frustrated player to get back to "the real game" without constantly bashing their head into an elevated-difficulty wall.

Anyhow, TL;DR: I'd suggest keeping MP potions buyable but letting you carry only enough for about 3 full party restores. But consider making HP recovery rather easy outside combat. Also be careful that picking party members back up doesn't become frustrating.
well you can get 3 free potions in starting town now, but only if you dont have any, you can go back for more, my issue is if i let people buy them, no matter how expensive i make them then they can just simply heal after every fight, ren has that tp skill to recover resistance for everyone so i cant just restrict resistance recovery items...

but if i don't do this then i have to scale up the difficulty of enemies to increase the odds of you losing, by restricting potions, it means i dont have to balance the enemies around being able to beat you all on their own (one battle) since multiple battles would wear you down instead

Casual19

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

So your going to make potions a finite resource? I'm not so sure thats a good idea. As you could essentially put the player in a situation where they have no way of getting more recovery items. Example being player uses potions willy nilly when they should of saved them for the upcoming boss fight. Thus the only way the player can beat that boss is to go grind to the point where they can beat them without needing to recover.

How about limiting the amount of potions/recovery items you can carry instead?
This way the player can still have a way to get more potions if they run low, but won't get to the point where their just overstocked with healing items.

Another idea is to add a healing skill of course.

-Edit-
Lol I posted a little too late, most of what I said is probably redundant now.

-Edit again-
Yep redundant. Pretty much everything CrazyPerson said expresses my concerns, more or less.
To be clear, I'm okay with limiting the players methods of healing, just so as long as there is a way to recover said means of healing.

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So your going to make potions a finite resource? I'm not so sure thats a good idea. As you could essentially put the player in a situation where they have no way of getting more recovery items. Example being player uses potions willy nilly when they should of saved them for the upcoming boss fight. Thus the only way the player can beat that boss is to go grind to the point where they can beat them without needing to recover.

How about limiting the amount of potions/recovery items you can carry instead?
This way the player can still have a way to get more potions if they run low, but won't get to the point where their just overstocked with healing items.

Another idea is to add a healing skill of course.

-Edit-
Lol I posted a little too late, most of what I said is probably redundant now.

-Edit again-
Yep redundant. Pretty much everything CrazyPerson said expresses my concerns, more or less.
To be clear, I'm okay with limiting the players methods of healing, just so as long as there is a way to recover said means of healing.
kiri also has a heal skill but it can only be used in battle and had a 2 turn cooldown i wont make any unwinnable situations though, if the player ends up in a situation where they cant beat a boss theyd still be able to throw themselves at the mooks until they level up, also, the healing fairies are gonna be before every boss too, potions shouldn't be necessary for beating bosses...

oh yeah, and her healing skill is free, which is why the cooldown is there...like with rens basic fire skill

EDIT- I am willing to add item limits instead, if you can decide on a good maximum number of basic potions... is 9 good? or is that too many?

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

EDIT- I am willing to add item limits instead, if you can decide on a good maximum number of basic potions... is 9 good? or is that too many?
I'm looking at other games that I think did it well -
one I can think of limits HP potions to 20, most status potions to 10, important status potions to 5, and resurrect items to 2 (for a 3-player party)

Rather than going by absolute count, though, I think we should look at "how powerful is this" -
if a single potion heals about 30% of one character, that means 3 potions heal one character, 9 potions fully heal a 3-character party.
In this situation, 20 potions might be reasonable - it provides 2 full party heals, or more realistically 3-4 heals from "low" to "high".
Enough to recover from a bad fight or two, but not enough to keep going for long.

Of course, if you have potions that heal 100% at once, that changes how the math works out.
Also, you may want to consider a "potion" that only works out-of-combat (most RPGmaker games use food), so that you can have a large-restore item to balance exhaustion around,
but don't suddenly find yourself in a corner where the player can throw out full heals mid-combat all the time.

But as I said earlier - beware of treating HP and MP the same.
For your game, it should probably be easier to heal HP than it is to heal MP,
because MP exhaustion is the "fun" part of combat where the unique "assist" mechanic appears -
by contrast, if characters almost always run out of HP directly first, combat might get fairly bland fairly quickly.

Casual19

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

if the player ends up in a situation where they cant beat a boss theyd still be able to throw themselves at the mooks until they level up, also, the healing fairies are gonna be before every boss too, potions shouldn't be necessary for beating bosses...
Having a method of healing mid battle is pretty much necessary actually. Especially for turn based RPGs and that goes double for boss battles.

I am willing to add item limits instead, if you can decide on a good maximum number of basic potions... is 9 good? or is that too many?
It depends, CrazyPerson makes a lot of good points.
I need to know what items your going with. Are we talking stock RPG maker value potions, or are you adjusting the values? Once we know how powerful potions are, it'll be easier to find a good number to carry. It'll also depend on how long a typical dungeon/quest would be.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Having a method of healing mid battle is pretty much necessary actually. Especially for turn based RPGs and that goes double for boss battles.

It depends, CrazyPerson makes a lot of good points.
I need to know what items your going with. Are we talking stock RPG maker value potions, or are you adjusting the values? Once we know how powerful potions are, it'll be easier to find a good number to carry. It'll also depend on how long a typical dungeon/quest would be.
well, as they are, the ordinary potions are enough to almost fully heal the starting party, but they level up quickly, and they take a lot of damage when grappled... i reckon 3 per character would be enough to stave off being captured for a while if you're careful, one of my testers never even approached losing to the first boss because of emily's tp share and ren's resistance restoration and that was with only a few potions
... only thing i can do at this point is try out the limit option, and see which people prefer. will release a new version when the next quest is done
hopefully before the 25th.

my idea was to limit them to monster drops and dungeon loot, and let you get 3 free ones if you run out at any point.

Last edited:

Casual19

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

well, as they are, the ordinary potions are enough to almost fully heal the starting party, but they level up quickly, and they take a lot of damage when grappled... i reckon 3 per character would be enough to stave off being captured for a while if you're careful, one of my testers never even approached losing to the first boss because of emily's tp share and ren's resistance restoration and that was with only a few potions
... only thing i can do at this point is try out the limit option, and see which people prefer. will release a new version when the next quest is done
hopefully before the 25th.

my idea was to limit them to monster drops and dungeon loot, and let you get 3 free ones if you run out at any point.
I think 3 free ones is too few to be honest. Especially if its only 500 HP. Unless you meant 3 per character, so 9 then. I think 9 is a fair amount to be free.

Even still though 500 HP a potion isn't going to mean much later on. Maybe change it so potions restore a set percentage. Like maybe 25 or 33%? Somewhere around there. This keeps them useful throughout the entire game.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think 3 free ones is too few to be honest. Especially if its only 500 HP. Unless you meant 3 per character, so 9 then. I think 9 is a fair amount to be free.

Even still though 500 HP a potion isn't going to mean much later on. Maybe change it so potions restore a set percentage. Like maybe 25 or 33%? Somewhere around there. This keeps them useful throughout the entire game.
I ran through it myself and beat the first boss with only one potion used at all (without anyone getting captured), the healing fairies make things a lot easier too, but im still gonna wait until the next release to get everyones opinion

since beating delilah i've lowered her hp though since it was a pointlessly long fight

Last edited:

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

Just yesterday i check the demo, it looks to be going good. Of course than at the start is hard, mostly for that healing plant. But the player have the chance to escape and save what make possible get to where the wolf girl is trapped.

Once you get to lvl 7 or 10 the fights are not so hard and the boss can be defeated without too much potions if you have the two resistance skills at hand.

The biggest problem than i had is when the character get all the resistance taken and is raped, mostly she cant escape alone, maybe the chance to do it is too low and maybe you could add some items to increase the resistance earned by get free as this is so small than the character is raped again before get the chance to do too much between turns.

Casual19

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

since beating delilah i've lowered her hp though since it was a pointlessly long fight
Yeah that fight did drag on after awhile.

Well I guess I'll just wait till your next release then.

FireoftheMonkey

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I realize this is the thread for the third game but decided I would go back and play the other two to enjoy them. And honestly I had forgotten how frustrating the boss fights in Princess Ren Returns were. Anyone have a save with the gallery unlocked? Or some tips for getting more HP. I have like 800 and can't figure out how to get more. I do decent damage but everything two shots me which is horribly frustrating.

Anyways really looking forward to three looks like it'll be cool as hell.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I realize this is the thread for the third game but decided I would go back and play the other two to enjoy them. And honestly I had forgotten how frustrating the boss fights in Princess Ren Returns were. Anyone have a save with the gallery unlocked? Or some tips for getting more HP. I have like 800 and can't figure out how to get more. I do decent damage but everything two shots me which is horribly frustrating.

Anyways really looking forward to three looks like it'll be cool as hell.
the gallery unlock is stored in the game unlock file... if you can send proof of purchase to [email protected] i can send you the gallery unlocked thing,
i've just created a special save inside the gallery to send you

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

answers in bold
So, I played through the demo and it looks great so far. I'm really looking forward to this as Sword of Asagi was one of the best games I've played in this genre (the heavy reliance of the bondage mechanic and captured heroine part were the best parts) and I enjoy your artwork, which is the best I've seen so far.
Thanks very much

As for the game play, there's not much to discuss, it's a good version of the Moral of Asagi game so far, and I look forward to the use of the slave outfits and more captured heroine antics. By the way, do you intend to use one captured/slave outfit, or have multiple ones? Such as one for a maid fetish, one for a petgirl fetish, or a shock collar for the robot/machines?
it depends on the scenario's i come up with but its possible, the other day i redid emi's slave outfit to be more in line with her captured image, but the shock collar one might be too much for me :3

I understand this is an early demo. However, but here's a few bugs that I found.

- Do you intend for the player to enter the building in the same area where the team buries Kiri's mother? If not then a locked door would indicate that we can't go in there.
I havent decided whether to let the player in there yet or not, but kiri wouldn't want to enter

- Emi can use "Sate lust" outside of battle. I personally don't see an issue with this, as a horny foxgirl probably would probably relieve herself from time to time outside of battle, but it might not have been your intention.
Fixed already, but next release
- When you fail to escape an encounter, the words "However, it was unable to escape." are used instead of "She" or "They".
This is down to rpgmakers vocab file and i already fixed it

- If Ren is captured, Emily can't fall under lust despite her resistance going down to zero.
this one's weird, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't, but theres nothing in the event that would make it only happen when ren's captured
- When you use Emi's skill to transfer 20 TP, the TP transfer says only "1 MP" instead of "20 mp".
Tp isnt MP, MP is resistance, but i raise mp because if i only change tp it says the skill failed, which is annoying

- I remembered correctly that most of your first boss fights are pretty long, so I stocked up and got to level 7 with both Emi and Ren to fight Delilah. And after I lost once (the medic plants healed right before I could kill them), I had no issues beating the boss.

For an early demo it looks great and I'll be taking a look at your patreon, as I found out that Patreon can accept giftcards as credit cards.
Nice, but you can use paypal now anyway

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I've updated emi's slave outfit because it was too hard to use it in cg
what do you think?

i'm really happy with the cg i created though, im looking forward to getting this quest finished so i can show it off

i also fixed the emi not getting captured bug, her conditional branch was inside ren's

Last edited:

Casual19

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Oh yes! This outfit looks way hotter imo.

Definatly approve of the update!