What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Anon42] Crisis Point: Extinction

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - FINAL PUBLIC UPDATE! (July 25th)

THE KING OF THEM ALL! XD

Good to see that progress is going well. Maybe in a few months I'll pledge again to see the improvements so just keep up the great work and if you would consider an at least fixed window re-sizer option for the future I'm sure a lot of us would be really happy. :)
Window resizer, got it. That's been something I've had in the back of my mind for ages, I just keep forgetting about it. I'll try to get it added in the next few updates.

@Emerald_Gladiator - God I know the feeling. I'm siiick of the first area music in particular. If I could never listen to that song again it'd still be too soon.

@Slam Sector - Yeah, the item drop formula is something I want to mess with a bit. I'd like to make certain enemies more likely to drop different things, but Metroid-style farm enemies are never a bad idea either. Of course, Metroid also doesn't restore your HP/subweapons when you hit a save point, while Crisis Point does, so.. I probably just need to balance things better. More HP upgrades are definitely on the to-do list!

@iamnuff - Sorry, but I'm not really going to be doing any of those things. As far as firing angle goes, enemies are built around the angles you can fire at right now. Flies, for example, intentionally go outside of your normal shooting angles, because if you could shoot them down so easily then they'd be a worthless enemy - instead they encourage use of the Force Shot, since that subweapon can take them down in one hit and it hits a large area. Plus you already have it by the time you encounter flies for the first time.
As for the boss, If you didn't have to be concerned about the tar effect, then you could easily just power through the boss without paying attention to his attacks whatsoever. It's perfectly possible to beat him without getting hit. I'll likely be raising his damage significantly so you have to be more concerned with avoiding his attacks instead of just ignoring them and washing the tar off whenever it happens, actually, to further emphasize dodging instead of tanking the hit and washing it off.

To answer your question though, yes, BE masturbation is planned. It probably won't be much different than the base scene, though.

@Hentai no Echii - I don't plan on having many traps like that, maybe one or two. I'm super against them from a gameplay standpoint, because they break up the flow of the game whenever you get caught in one, although allowing the player to struggle out in exchange for taking some damage (like normal sex scenes) isn't a terrible tradeoff. Still, there won't be many of them. Most of the environmental traps and hazards will be either non-H, or tied into the libido mechanic.

EDIT: Hey everybody! Rather than double post in my own topic I'll just edit this in here. The Great Rework™ has officially begun, and I wanted to real quick share with all of you the first change: Alicia's idle pose!

This gif shows the comparison between Alicia's old and new idle poses, both clothed and half-naked. Hopefully you'll all agree this is a major change for the better; all the flaws in her old pose have been burning my eyes out for over a year now. The one bad thing about improving over time, right? Anyway, that's all I have to show for today. More to come soon!

Last edited:

Hentai no Echii

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - FINAL PUBLIC UPDATE! (July 25th)

Oh dang, well at least there's still some traps that's going to be implemented :) How about doing them LAB Still Alive style? Like fake switches that triggers the trap that rapes Alicia, but escapable like a normal sex scene would be?

Around 16:45 is the scene I'm talking about. The switch has 4 little circles around it to notify the player that it's a trap. But hey, it's just a suggestion but I hope this get implemented somehow, if not, I'll just enjoy some of the game's awesome content!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hey everybody! Sorry I haven't updated in a bit, but work is going relatively smoothly. I'll have a real update for you all soon, detailing the new mechanics of the Force Shot upgrade, but in the meantime I decided to run a poll to decide which nipple size to stick with. A while back on Patreon, I received some feedback about Alicia's nipple size looking awkward on her new idle sprite, so I tried messing with it to see if I could find a better size. Some people like it bigger, some people like it smaller; the reception is pretty mixed, so this way at least I can go with the majority opinion.

Here's a comparison shot

And the poll is here:

Thanks for taking the time to vote everyone; more updates soon!
-A42

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Hey everybody! Sorry I haven't updated in a bit, but work is going relatively smoothly. I'll have a real update for you all soon, detailing the new mechanics of the Force Shot upgrade, but in the meantime I decided to run a poll to decide which nipple size to stick with. A while back on Patreon, I received some feedback about Alicia's nipple size looking awkward on her new idle sprite, so I tried messing with it to see if I could find a better size. Some people like it bigger, some people like it smaller; the reception is pretty mixed, so this way at least I can go with the majority opinion.

Here's a comparison shot

And the poll is here:

Thanks for taking the time to vote everyone; more updates soon!
-A42
Would making it optional be practical?

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Would making it optional be practical?
It would be doable, but quite the hassle. The art work wouldn't be much more work, since it's a very small amount of the sprite, but there's no system in the code right now to allow for multiple variations on an H-scene easily, so it would be a decent amount of effort to go back and redo all of that programming to account for that on top of creating multiple versions of the sprite. That and the poll is very much one-sided right now, so it seems like there wouldn't be too much demand for it.

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

A "Great Rework" sounds good. Something always bothered me about her leg length when standing or running.

PM21

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Will the great re-work include giving her sprite tha booty? Y'know, just round it out a bit more?

Really dig the reworked sprites you've shown off so far. She seemed, I don't know, frumpy? Before the rework, that is. Didn't realize it until now, seeing a side by side comparison.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

A "Great Rework" sounds good. Something always bothered me about her leg length when standing or running.
You're not the only one. It used to be even worse, I shortened her torso and raised her legs by about 2 pixels a while back and it still looked awful.

@PM21 - If Orexius has anything to say about it, yes. He's always been a big advocate for the booty. As far as frumpiness goes.. yeah, I'd say that's a good way to describe it. Glad you're liking the rework more!

Alright.. I'm sorry once again for not updating in a while, everybody. I really need to stop letting this happen.. Myself and Orexius will be hosting a dev stream tomorrow at the usual time, 1pm-5pm EST. I'll be working on more elements of The Great Rework™ and showing off the changes to the Force Shot, shortly after which I'll make that post about it that I promised.. over a week ago >_< Jeez, I'm really sorry about that. Thank you so much for your unending patience, everyone. I'll do my best to stop making updates few and far between.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

EDIT: Stream's over everybody! Thanks to everyone who stopped by! I'll get that post about the Force Shot mechanics up tomorrow, promise!

ORIGINAL: Stream's about to begin everyone, just finishing up some last minute preparations! Feel free to come on by if you have the time.

Last edited:

fullmetal

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Quick question here: is that July 25th referring to 2015's or 2016's?

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Both sizes look fine, really.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Quick question here: is that July 25th referring to 2015's or 2016's?
2015. I'll put some clarification in the title, sorry! Hard to believe this project has been around that long.. Man.

Well, with nearly 600 votes and a perfect 1:2 split, I think the poll's results are pretty obvious. I won't be changing any H-scene animations where her nipple size feels appropriate, since the goal of this was to find a size that looks good rather than to shrink them across the board, but I'll be going ahead with the smaller nipples for her idle and movement stances! Thanks for voting everyone!

Now, with that out of the way, on to the post that I'm still two days late for because I'm literally Hitler (my words, not yours)

I've been receiving lots of feedback on Crisis Point in regards to its current mechanics recently. The general consensus is that everything works and feels good, but is too "same-y" and not interesting enough mechanically when compared to other Metroids. As part of The Great Rework™, I'm going to be reworking many of these things - both planned upgrades and currently existing ones. Today we'll talk about the Force Shot.

For those of you that haven't played the demo, the Force Shot previously worked much like an altered Missile system from your typical Metroid; once you find the weapon, it functions as an addition to your standard blaster that allows you to enter new areas and kill enemies more efficiently, all governed by a simple ammunition system. You start with extremely limited ammo, and finding more upgrades for it increases your max ammo count. These upgrades act as a sort of "filler" upgrade; they're an easy way to fill hidden places with low-cost upgrades (meaning as a designer, it takes almost no effort to implement them) to reward the player for exploration. In a typical Metroid game, you can expect to be hoarding a hundred plus missiles by the end of the game if you've done enough searching, and Crisis Point was going to use Force Shot upgrades for this exact purpose. At least, that's how it WAS going to be; now, we're doing something a little different.

Upon collecting the Force Shot, a new addition will be made to your HUD - a vertical column with 3 rectangular boxes. These boxes represent your current charges for the Force Shot, and firing the weapon will expend one charge. These charges will not come back over time; instead, they are refilled through various interaction with enemies. Attacking an enemy will release a small red orb that will fly towards Alicia. Each orb will give her 5 points (out of a maximum 100) towards a new charge. Defeated enemies will release 5 orbs, and allowing an enemy to climax when having sex with Alicia will release 10 - enough for half of a charge. In addition to these, there will be certain environmental objects that can be shot repeatedly to refill your Force Shot charges as needed. Gone are the days of ammo hoarding; as a player, when games offer me a limited supply of ammo I rarely use them. With this system, charges are readily available through active combat, and once Alicia's charges are maxed out the orbs will stop spawning, so deciding not to use them will not benefit the player in any way.

Here's a brief video with the new mechanic at work: (please ignore the incredibly WIP HUD design!)

Of course, that does leave the question of "filler" upgrades. With the old system, there were going to be over 20 Force Shot ammo upgrades scattered throughout the world. No Metroidvania would be complete without dozens and dozens of collectibles, so now that a large handful of them are gone, what will be replacing them..? I'm taking bets now, so expect to hear more about that soon!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention this - as a final note, me and Orexius are going to be streaming again tomorrow, same time - 1pm-5pm EST! Hope some of you can make it!

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Upon collecting the Force Shot, a new addition will be made to your HUD - a vertical column with 3 rectangular boxes. These boxes represent your current charges for the Force Shot, and firing the weapon will expend one charge. These charges will not come back over time; instead, they are refilled through various interaction with enemies. Attacking an enemy will release a small red orb that will fly towards Alicia. Each orb will give her 5 points (out of a maximum 100) towards a new charge. Defeated enemies will release 5 orbs, and allowing an enemy to climax when having sex with Alicia will release 10 - enough for half of a charge. In addition to these, there will be certain environmental objects that can be shot repeatedly to refill your Force Shot charges as needed. Gone are the days of ammo hoarding; as a player, when games offer me a limited supply of ammo I rarely charges are readily available through active combat, and once Alicia's charges are maxed out the orbs will stop spawning, so deciding not to use them will not benefit the player in any way.
Not to be a dick or anything but... that just means I'll ignore it the same amount I did before, for the same reason: If I need the ammo to access areas I'm not going to use it for combat unless I'm forced to. Besides, the metroid tradition has always been to shoot your normal weapon as fast as possible or (for particularly slow/weak enemies [1 hit]) charge it then release.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Not to be a dick or anything but... that just means I'll ignore it the same amount I did before, for the same reason: If I need the ammo to access areas I'm not going to use it for combat unless I'm forced to. Besides, the metroid tradition has always been to shoot your normal weapon as fast as possible or (for particularly slow/weak enemies [1 hit]) charge it then release.
Well, that's your prerogative as a player. The only things forcing (hehe) you to use them are the breakable walls, like you mentioned, but those walls will be infrequent and there will always be an easy way to charge it up near them. While it may not be strictly NECESSARY, using the Force Shot will make several enemy encounters MUCH easier. For example, it hits a wide area and does enough damage to instant-kill slimes, meaning you get 6 orbs (30 points, 1/3rd of a charge) back immediately after using it on one, especially useful with how hard the buggers are to hit with the early-game blaster. It's also the only early way to counter the Warped Sentry's shield; you can fire it behind her while her shield is up and the explosion will knock her over, giving you the chance to attack unabated. I'm not going to prevent a player from playing through the game blaster-only if they so choose, but there will be plenty of incentive to utilize it in combat.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania - Final Public Update! (July 25th, 2015)

EDIT: Stream's over! Thanks for stopping by everybody!

ORIGINAL: Hey everyone! Today's devstream is going to begin soon, so feel free to stop by if you have the time!

Last edited:

Orexius

The user not formerly known as Winterfield
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania - Final Public Update! (July 25th, 2015)

Hard at work on the things that matter.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Will the great re-work include giving her sprite tha booty? Y'know, just round it out a bit more?
Just gonna go ahead and quote this again, since it's hella relevant now.

On a side note, Orexius may or may not be streaming tomorrow, but without me this time - I was originally planning on it, but then I remembered it may or may not be my birthday and I may or may not have plans. So instead of streaming, I will leave you with butt.

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Your pixel art has been improving quite a bit. Keep up the good work!

sonny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Sexier than before. but the feet needs a bit of improvement.

Last edited:

aephrosi

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

With the new idle poses, her left leg doesn't look like it has a knee/calf anymore.

Personally, I prefer the old ones :/