What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Anon42] Crisis Point: Extinction

dragonlord217

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - NEW PUBLIC UPDATE! (Sept. 25th)

Hmm...

I'm not an animator myself, but how much more effort would it take to add a loop of the MC lying on the ground with white/green/whatever fluid dribbling out of her after an h-scene?

Just my opinion, think it'd add a lot to the game. Please keep up the good work :).

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - NEW PUBLIC UPDATE! (Sept. 25th)

Hmm...

I'm not an animator myself, but how much more effort would it take to add a loop of the MC lying on the ground with white/green/whatever fluid dribbling out of her after an h-scene?

Just my opinion, think it'd add a lot to the game. Please keep up the good work :).
No worries, the H-scenes in general are relatively incomplete. There's going to be more animation in them than just the 4-frame loop I have right now, but I'm focusing more on the game itself for the moment, detail animation will come later on!

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score

You know, it seems like pretty bad form to try to coerce the creator into changing the art style. All the sprites look fine.

textbook703

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

You know, it seems like pretty bad form to try to coerce the creator into changing the art style. All the sprites look fine.
Actually, no one ever said a word about changing his art style.

WonderLlama2008

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - NEW PUBLIC UPDATE! (Sept. 25)

Evening, everybody! Time for another public Crisis Point update! It's still technically a few hours until the 25th where I am, butt fuck it. Updates for everyone!

-More sex animations (slime)
Looks good! The WASD controls are intuitive.

Pressing K to jump didn't always jump high enough to get to some ledges. Is this by design?

The aiming system was cumbersome - it was really hard to aim at the slime. Could it be graduated?
By that I mean:
  • Press L and she goes into an aiming pose.
  • While in aiming pose, she initially aims straight forward (right or left depending on initial direction).
  • Press W and she aims higher by, let's say 5 degrees more.
  • (Pressing W 3 times in aim pose would have her aim at 15 degrees above horizontal)
  • Press S, and she aims at 5 degrees less than

The slime animation was cute. With the sound off, I couldn't tell when the slime was ejaculating. Perhaps it needs to tense up (i.e.some visual indication)?

Maybe some slimes could "ejaculate" by inserting more of themselves inside her. After these unbirth slimes fully ejaculate, it's completely insider her and she looks pregnant!

Only suggestions of course. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Crisis Point: Extinction - Metroidvania H-game - NEW PUBLIC UPDATE! (Sept. 25)

Looks good! The WASD controls are intuitive.

Pressing K to jump didn't always jump high enough to get to some ledges. Is this by design?

The aiming system was cumbersome - it was really hard to aim at the slime. Could it be graduated?
By that I mean:
  • Press L and she goes into an aiming pose.
  • While in aiming pose, she initially aims straight forward (right or left depending on initial direction).
  • Press W and she aims higher by, let's say 5 degrees more.
  • (Pressing W 3 times in aim pose would have her aim at 15 degrees above horizontal)
  • Press S, and she aims at 5 degrees less than

The slime animation was cute. With the sound off, I couldn't tell when the slime was ejaculating. Perhaps it needs to tense up (i.e.some visual indication)?

Maybe some slimes could "ejaculate" by inserting more of themselves inside her. After these unbirth slimes fully ejaculate, it's completely insider her and she looks pregnant!

Only suggestions of course. Keep up the good work!
Hey there, thanks for the feedback! In order of the things you said:

You have to hold K to jump at your full height. Releasing it early makes you start falling faster. It's a common element in platformers called Variable Jumping, and it gives you more control over platforming. If you already knew that - then yes, any platform that's too high for you to jump up to is intentionally made that way.

The aiming system would be far more cumbersome if I were to do something like that. I've touched on exactly why I won't be adding a strafe or aiming mode before; Crisis Point is a very fast-paced game focused on mobility. Giving her a 'manual aim' or 'strafe' mode takes away from that. Players aren't supposed to stand in one place and snipe their enemies, nor are they supposed to shoot a few times, run backwards, turn around, shoot, etc. I put a lot of thought and care into each enemy's design to ensure that it keeps the player on their toes and forces them to move around and adapt quickly, rather than just spamming the shoot button repeatedly to win. Pressing up/down until you're aiming right and then spamming shoot wouldn't make for a very engaging experience in this case.

Essentially, the slimes are meant to be a 'nuisance' enemy. They don't hurt much, but they jump around a lot and are hard to hit, due to their small hitboxes. That is all VERY much intentional, and an integral part to their design in Crisis Point. Imagine there being a slime hopping around while you try to fight another foe - the combat suddenly becomes very fast, complex, and challenging. Keep in mind the demo that's released right now only contains the first ~10 minutes of a game that's all about getting upgrades and becoming more versatile. Try not to judge the difficulty or balance too harshly right now, because Alicia will get plenty of tools that will make fighting enemies like the Slimes MUCH easier. Enemies aren't supposed to be easy to fight right away, after all. That being said, I did decide a while ago to lower their max HP. In v.04 they'll only take 3 hits instead of 4.

I also mentioned the animations very recently on here - none of the H animations are complete. Animations like ejaculation will take some time to get done, and I'm focusing on the actual gameplay right now. Detail animation like ejaculations will come later. As for pregnancy, nah. I already have an enemy planned that has a pregnancy trait. They aren't in the game yet, but they will be eventually.

In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed it so far, and I hope this laid to rest some of the problems you had with it!

@Slam - Thanks for the defense man, but I don't think anybody was complaining about the actual sprites. I just think they didn't want the portrait style to go from what it is to super anime-desu. No worries though guys - it's kind of a mid-point between anime and not right now, and I intend to keep it there. There are a few problems with the portrait I want to change, but it's not going to shift that massively.

xXHaseoXx

Tentacle God
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I hope my Laptop can run this. It's on its last legs :p

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I hope my Laptop can run this. It's on its last legs :p
Let me know how that goes man, I'm curious how good of a computer you need to run this game right now, lol. Anything that's not made pre-2000 should hopefully work, but I haven't exactly been able to stress test. All I have to test on is a custom-built computer that can run most anything.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Quick reminder everyone that the upcoming Patreon update, .04, will only be available to Patrons signed up before the 1st! I'll be sending out the update personally to patrons as their cards go through, so 'pirating' by signing up with the intention of removing the pledge will no longer be effective.

I'm really excited for this next update, though. I got some pretty cool stuff added in this time around, it almost feels like a whole new game!

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

A new month has begun, and that means a new Patreon update - which means last month's development updates will be making their way to the public. Let's begin with an update that was very exciting for me, personally.

(Remember to view it as an mp4 for smoother quality)

This is a link showing off the special effect I pulled off for Alicia's new upgrade, the Force Shot. Upon firing, the Force Shot zooms forward for a short distance before 'exploding.' Rather than a traditional gunpowder-fueled explosion, however, the Force Shot is a heavily-condensed ball of kinetic energy - for simplicity's sake, referred to as 'force'. The intense amount of energy being released is what causes the distortion effect seen above. This blast of force deals heavy damage to enemies caught in it, and is powerful enough to knock down weakened walls and floors. It comes with limited ammunition - which can be upgraded by finding upgrade capsules scattered around the environment.

Last edited:
OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

There's been a sudden, sharp decline in patrons recently.. Pretty disappointing after the stress finishing this last update brought me, and I was really happy with how it turned out too :\

Anybody have any suggestions on new places to advertise? I want to start spreading the word and sparking some public interest again.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

There's been a sudden, sharp decline in patrons recently.. Pretty disappointing after the stress finishing this last update brought me, and I was really happy with how it turned out too :\

Anybody have any suggestions on new places to advertise? I want to start spreading the word and sparking some public interest again.
could always set up a small crowdfunding campaign

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

patreon is literally the worst idea. "backers" not only get sucked in but its getting sucked in "per update" so people end up just donating over and over again to the point that its likely the person issuing the updates is doing so solely to extract more money from the masses. I would think most people think patreon is just like kickstarter where you make a one time donation and get whatever reward that is associated with it. However it is not, so I think alot of people are turned off by that fact after they get sucked dry from each update.

You could make a blog? Maybe even link it in your signature? I wouldnt know or care if you did already since I have forum signatures disabled. My personal opinion is that you are excluding the non-donators by making "donation" updates and then public updates after that fact, so someone who is not hooked will not ever get hooked as they are already excluded. Possibly treating the general public the same as people who are donating already might give you a larger base of potential donators?

When it comes down to it, I care little for this game in the first place. However tough it is for you to stomach, this is my opinion on things. What you do with it is completely up to you.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

patreon is literally the worst idea. "backers" not only get sucked in but its getting sucked in "per update" so people end up just donating over and over again to the point that its likely the person issuing the updates is doing so solely to extract more money from the masses. I would think most people think patreon is just like kickstarter where you make a one time donation and get whatever reward that is associated with it. However it is not, so I think alot of people are turned off by that fact after they get sucked dry from each update.

You could make a blog? Maybe even link it in your signature? I wouldnt know or care if you did already since I have forum signatures disabled. My personal opinion is that you are excluding the non-donators by making "donation" updates and then public updates after that fact, so someone who is not hooked will not ever get hooked as they are already excluded. Possibly treating the general public the same as people who are donating already might give you a larger base of potential donators?

When it comes down to it, I care little for this game in the first place. However tough it is for you to stomach, this is my opinion on things. What you do with it is completely up to you.
Wow. I mean, you're free to have whatever opinion you want, man - but there was absolutely no need to be so rude about it. Considering your comment here, I think it's safe assuming the negative reputation along with the comment "garbage tier beggar" was from you as well.

I don't think you understand the point of Patreon. You don't have to like it, and I'm certainly not telling you to change your mind, but that's not what people use Patreon for. At least, not what decent people use it for. For single-donation systems, there are already places like Kickstarter and Offbeatr - Patreon is an entirely different kind of system, and that's what it's SUPPOSED to be. I also think you're underestimating user intelligence by saying that most people don't know that Patreon is a monthly donation system, rather than something like Kickstarter.

Because of the way Patreon is set up, the amount you have to donate for any individual reward ends up being a very paltry number. How big of an impact do you think $10/m makes on a person's wallet? If they have a job and a source of steady income, it's a number that's hardly even noticeable. Patreon gives people a chance to support creators they really like in an easy-to-manage way that DOESN'T break the bank. Yes, it's possible to set up expensive reward tiers, but if that reward tier isn't worth it to somebody than they can just.. not use it. My most expensive tier right now is $100 (compared to Kickstarters which usually go up into the thousands). There's only one slot for it, and I frequently chat with the guy who's doing it. He has a ridiculous amount of excess income from his job, and he just really likes where Crisis Point is headed, so he wants to support the project as much as he can. He knows full well that it's $100 every month, and it doesn't bother him at all. If he ever did want to stop, it takes all of two seconds to stop your pledge. I don't see how a system like that is "literally the worst idea."

For me, Patreon is a way for me to try and make a living off of these games. I don't think you quite realize how much time and effort it takes to pull off a game like this, and earning nothing for it would gradually whittle away at the motivation to keep working. Working a 9-5 all week, to come home and keep working all day? That's some seriously depressing stuff. Nobody has to donate - I bring every update to the public, and I listen closely to the feedback of people, regardless of whether they're patrons or not. I honestly don't know where you're coming from when you say I'm not including non-patrons in this game. On the contrary, I go out of my way to try and include them as much as possible. Everyone gets the exact same updates, they just come a little later to the public. It's not like I even limit public updates to the prototype. I bring all the little morsels of information on development to them, too.

For the record, I DO have a blog - and it's been slowly dwindling away ever since I started Crisis Point. The majority of the people there followed me from my old days as a Maplestory H-artist, and lots of them weren't happy when I changed focus to original content. ULMF has become the most active place outside of Patreon, which is why most of my updates are focused here. People wouldn't randomly stumble across a blog, anyway - I'd still be trying to spread the word about the game if I DIDN'T have a Patreon campaign going. Community feedback is hugely important to me, Crisis Point would be a much different game than it is now if I wasn't getting thoughts and opinions from others.

Again, you're welcome to have your own opinion on Patreon or my project, I'm not going to tell you to change them. I just think you could have found a way to go about speaking your mind without being so rude about it. Just because you have a different opinion or you don't agree with something doesn't mean it needs to be met with hostility.
In the words of the great Bill & Ted: "Be excellent to each other."

textbook703

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

When it comes down to it, I care little for this game in the first place. However tough it is for you to stomach, this is my opinion on things.
PRO TIP: This isn't anime. Being cold and uncaring of the opinions of others doesn't make you look hard and mysterious -- it makes you look awkward and rude.

No one gives a shit that you don't give a shit, and the fact that you failed to consider that fact implies the very same vanity you're trying to sidestep with that attitude.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

PRO TIP: This isn't anime. Being cold and uncaring of the opinions of others doesn't make you look hard and mysterious -- it makes you look awkward and rude.

No one gives a shit that you don't give a shit, and the fact that you failed to consider that fact implies the very same vanity you're trying to sidestep with that attitude.
I don't get how freeko can continue to be a dick to my peers when he shelled out for me to make grapple

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Some people do not like that I do not hide the truth behind blowing sunshine up their ass. A question was asked, and I answered it. If it was not the answer they were looking for, then that is their problem as I do not sugarcoat my opinion one way or the other. I call it like I see it.

I could have went on with things I would want changed in the game, or anything about the gameplay that I do not like. I did not for the simple fact that I would not be playing the game even if the changes were made. Or a significant group of people may well say that its a bad change to make and it ends up being a decision that has to be made with the potential for some people to be turned off from the game completely.

On the other hand, I see someone like Wolfenstahl basically start a patreon for a game, and then shelve the game. The more intricate details are irrelevant to me, as I had no interest in that game either truth be told. So tell me why patreon is now more relevant than actually selling a game? It was in the past more about how your game sold than how much money can I extract from patreon backers.

I am not opposed to giving money for something, as i paid over a grand to have azure do a game for me. Though I probably would not have done it were it anyone else. I certainly am unlikely to do it again as well, as what I got from it was not greater than the sum total of its parts. Which brings me to the point of it all. The reason why you are not getting the backing that you were, is that it very well may be that the people who were backing no longer see updates as being of enough relevance to justify the cost of the update to them.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Some people do not like that I do not hide the truth behind blowing sunshine up their ass. A question was asked, and I answered it. If it was not the answer they were looking for, then that is their problem as I do not sugarcoat my opinion one way or the other. I call it like I see it.

I could have went on with things I would want changed in the game, or anything about the gameplay that I do not like. I did not for the simple fact that I would not be playing the game even if the changes were made. Or a significant group of people may well say that its a bad change to make and it ends up being a decision that has to be made with the potential for some people to be turned off from the game completely.

On the other hand, I see someone like Wolfenstahl basically start a patreon for a game, and then shelve the game. The more intricate details are irrelevant to me, as I had no interest in that game either truth be told. So tell me why patreon is now more relevant than actually selling a game? It was in the past more about how your game sold than how much money can I extract from patreon backers.

I am not opposed to giving money for something, as i paid over a grand to have azure do a game for me. Though I probably would not have done it were it anyone else. I certainly am unlikely to do it again as well, as what I got from it was not greater than the sum total of its parts. Which brings me to the point of it all. The reason why you are not getting the backing that you were, is that it very well may be that the people who were backing no longer see updates as being of enough relevance to justify the cost of the update to them.
Is that what you call "answering that question"? By spending about 1/10th of your post saying "you could make a blog" and then using the rest to bitch about me and why the method I'm using is apparently a bigger sin than genocide? You know, considering it's "literally the worst idea." Literally the only question I asked was "does anybody know places I could use to spread the word", and you spent a bare minimum of your post responding with anything of relevance to that. Don't act like your post was supposed to be enlightening rather than a hate-fueled rant.

You made your point. You hate Patreon with a burning passion. You think it's stupid, that I'm a terrible person who's just using it to rip people off, and that you'll never play Crisis Point regardless of what I do. Why don't you take your sour opinions and leave then, instead of contributing more hatred and nonsense to this thread? You're throwing an awful lot of words into my mouth with your accusations of money-pinching, so you seem to clearly have a lot of hatred for me. I don't see any point in responding to you further, so I will not, and I suggest you quit wasting your time and go post elsewhere.

YummyTiger

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So tell me why patreon is now more relevant than actually selling a game? It was in the past more about how your game sold than how much money can I extract from patreon backers.
Piracy. That is why. The selling a complete game model has been ineffective in the hentai game market due to rampant piracy. At least for any small developer (especially 1/2 person teams). If you crowdfund the production, then people pay because otherwise they will not get the game. If the game is complete, people simply download it and then justify the piracy in some way.

There are definitely developers who take advantage of consumers, but there are a shitload of consumers who take advantage of developers. My advice would be to only crowdfund campaigns where you trust the author to complete the work, or you are invested enough that you are willing to take the risk. I support Akabur because he released a great game (Princess Trainer) and his next game looks pretty sick. In the end, reputation will have to be the main factor. So if you run a crowdfunding campaign and screw over your funders, don't expect much support in the future.

I've said it in other threads. I think Patreon is awesome, it gives small developers a chance to earn some money and is promoting the creation of English hentai games. Something that the dlsite, complete game model, was not doing very well.

Anon42, you've got a good start, but I personally am simply following your progress. I think people are watching, but are waiting for an even more complete product. Have you posted on Hongfire as well? Otherwise, I can't help much in where to promote your game.

OP
Anon42

Anon42

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Piracy. That is why. The selling a complete game model has been ineffective in the hentai game market due to rampant piracy. At least for any small developer (especially 1/2 person teams). If you crowdfund the production, then people pay because otherwise they will not get the game. If the game is complete, people simply download it and then justify the piracy in some way.

There are definitely developers who take advantage of consumers, but there are a shitload of consumers who take advantage of developers. My advice would be to only crowdfund campaigns where you trust the author to complete the work, or you are invested enough that you are willing to take the risk. I support Akabur because he released a great game (Princess Trainer) and his next game looks pretty sick. In the end, reputation will have to be the main factor. So if you run a crowdfunding campaign and screw over your funders, don't expect much support in the future.

I've said it in other threads. I think Patreon is awesome, it gives small developers a chance to earn some money and is promoting the creation of English hentai games. Something that the dlsite, complete game model, was not doing very well.

Anon42, you've got a good start, but I personally am simply following your progress. I think people are watching, but are waiting for an even more complete product. Have you posted on Hongfire as well? Otherwise, I can't help much in where to promote your game.
Thanks for the input, man. I actually haven't tried Hongfire, so I'll go ahead and take a look at that in a bit, thank you.

Also, since you mentioned it, thank you for following the game! I really do appreciate it, regardless of whether you're donating on patreon or not. I know the game is still in a relatively early stage, but things are finally getting to the point where the groundwork is there, and content will start coming hot and fast. Even if you, or anybody else, chooses not to donate through patreon, it doesn't change how much I appreciate the feedback and community involvement.