What's new

VN/TEXT NTR Loli Shota Ryona [Alice Soft] Sengoku Rance / 戦国ランス

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Sengoku Rance

Man this is some great news. I've played this game to death already and still play it yearly (somehow finding new shit every time still) so it'd be nice to finally own it officially.

And Quest finally being fully translated is a pretty big deal since X is going to be released fairly soon as well and a lot of it is set up in Quest (or Magnum, at least)

Deathwings

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Kind of a shame that we didn't have an adventure with Rance focused on the demon realm. It's one of the few places that we don't truly know a lot.
With the way things are going with the plot, we'll probably have our chance to go there in the tenth game. I mean, Rance has pretty much kicked the asses of every other human countries, so now the only thing left to do are :

1) Taking over the Monster's lands.
2) Kick God in the balls.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

We already know that Rance X will deal with the monster realm and the Kaybliss and Hornet factions, we also know all 4 holy monsters (you see one of them in Rance 4.1/4.2 and the others apparently were supposed to play a part in the cancelled Rance 5a, 5b and 5c) Alicesoft claims to tie up all loose ends which is still quite a lot of shite so X promises to be massive.

Capid

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Actually I wonder how they intend to tackle the whole war against Kayblis.

While in Kichikuou Rance most of the content was before the monster real arc, the real game, and the real fights were there.

For the most part Alicesoft has done a great job pointing out how badass most of the fiends are, and how much effort it is to take down one of them, and now, in a single game, characters that should be the villains of their own game, like Kesselring (it's a MASSIVE endeavour to defeat him alone), will have to be defeated in a single game... and then you have the whole creator arc, that could also be a game in itself.

I hope they won't rush things for the sake of ending in the tenth part, as promised, I know I wouldn't mind an eleventh part, if it's required to finish the saga with good quality.

DawnCry

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I kind of hope that Rance X takes back that "dark element" of kichikuou rance.

Many characters had good and bad endings that I enjoyed quite a lot, and the only time I actually cried in the rance series is when in my first game I rescued Sill too late... arg that did pain!.

But I truly would have liked a game just focused on the civil war of the demonic realm, just on that without anything else.

OmegaZero

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Sengoku Rance needs either an expansion or a patch that balances stuff like troop units, items etc. to worth the re-release. I wish they would make generic mikos and musketeers more useful, they are among the weakest troop types available.

maddogrd

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Sengoku Rance needs either an expansion or a patch that balances stuff like troop units, items etc. to worth the re-release. I wish they would make generic mikos and musketeers more useful, they are among the weakest troop types available.
That would be kinda hard since its a older game and I don't think they would go out of the way to update it just for a English release.

Selius

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That would be kinda hard since its a older game and I don't think they would go out of the way to update it just for a English release.
difficulty means jack shit. the sales figures for this game that everybody has already played is not gonna be much. they're wasting their time if they dont make changes and add new stuff.

OmegaZero

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Yeah I don't really expect them to do so, but they did slightly tweak rance 6's gameplay. So let's hope they do so for Sengoku Rance too...?

I mean, I don't hate SR's gameplay or anything, but the game is obviously imbalanced. Generic mikos and musketeers are generally poor in both field battles and solo, with monks come pretty close; no matter how much you invest in them, in the end they're just one-trick ponies. On the other hand, even generic tacticians (and cavalries, but they are rare anyway) with proper investment are hopelessly OP.
Also the battle permits that allow you to win a field battle with just one commander regardless of stats, versus the whole families of 'recovery each turn' items that, what, boost troop recovery each turn by a meager amount of 3 to 9 for only ONE commander ?

I wonder if Alicesoft didn't realize that Rance games' popularity was thanks to Sengoku Rance and the fan translation in the first place? I hope they either make extra content or balance the game, otherwise I think it's not worth re-releasing the game for just an official English translation.

Last edited:

Keyen

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Don't forget to nerf Omachi, thanks.

Ericridge

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, time to walk the talk and buy Sengoku Rance. I only can hope that there is new stuff to see in it. I played it to death in two years. XD

Monceber

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I wonder if Alicesoft didn't realize that Rance games' popularity was thanks to Sengoku Rance and the fan translation in the first place?
I wonder if you don't realize that Alicesoft doesn't give two shits about Rance's popularity in the west, otherwise they would have released it eons ago. If not for MangaGamer, I'm pretty sure there would be no translations of Rance series (excluding rare fan-made ones, of course) to this day.

I hope they either make extra content or balance the game, otherwise I think it's not worth re-releasing the game for just an official English translation.
It doesn't work that way. MangaGamer can't just translate Rance Quest, and say: "Oh, and btw, previous part has fan translation, go grab it here". They did skip older games, but aside of that they're going in chronological order, so I think they're doing the right thing. Besides, some people might want to buy it regardless the fact that it was translated long ago just to support the creator (and encourage future translations).

Keyen

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

If not for MangaGamer, I'm pretty sure there would be no translations of Rance series (excluding rare fan-made ones, of course) to this day.
To this day, 2 games were translated by Mangagamer, 7 by fans.

Just saying...

Monceber

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

To this day, 2 games were translated by Mangagamer, 7 by fans.
Just saying...
My bad, didn't get my facts straight.
I still think that official translation is better, just for the fact that it opens up the possibility of new games being translated as well.

OmegaZero

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I wonder if you don't realize that Alicesoft doesn't give two shits about Rance's popularity in the west, otherwise they would have released it eons ago. If not for MangaGamer, I'm pretty sure there would be no translations of Rance series (excluding rare fan-made ones, of course) to this day.
You say as if releasing games oversea is something so easy to do... Not to mention Sengoku Rance is an adult game, you think they would just nonchalantly plan to release Rance series without considering backlash like that Rapelay controversy?
If Alicesoft really "doesn't give two shits about Rance's popularity in the west" then whether mangagamer exists or not doesn't matter, they would have never released any Rance game in the west considering how general western media antagonize Japanese adult games. If not for mangagamer AND the already existing popularity of Sengoku Rance in the west I'm pretty sure they wouldn't risk jumping in such "hostile" market.

It doesn't work that way. MangaGamer can't just translate Rance Quest, and say: "Oh, and btw, previous part has fan translation, go grab it here". They did skip older games, but aside of that they're going in chronological order, so I think they're doing the right thing. Besides, some people might want to buy it regardless the fact that it was translated long ago just to support the creator (and encourage future translations).
That's a pointless thing to say... mangagamer staff can just simply tell Alicesoft that there was a fan translation that allowed people to enjoy Sengoku Rance to its fullest, so to keep the sale well better add something new to the game, be it simple stuff like 10star difficulty or cameo characters.
I bet there wouldn't be many people buying Sengoku Rance, the sale might not be enough to cover for the cost of translation.

Ryu82

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

That's a pointless thing to say... mangagamer staff can just simply tell Alicesoft that there was a fan translation that allowed people to enjoy Sengoku Rance to its fullest, so to keep the sale well better add something new to the game, be it simple stuff like 10star difficulty or cameo characters.
I bet there wouldn't be many people buying Sengoku Rance, the sale might not be enough to cover for the cost of translation.
I'm not sure about that. Mangagamer is probably not stupid and they know about the fan translation years ago. It is also possible, that the cost for the localisation of Sengoku Rance is higher than what the game will make, but then there might also be some new players who never played the fan translation and buy the other Rance games because of Sengoku Rance. The currently existing Fan-translation might also speed up the localization a bit.

So in the long run, it might be worth it. There are also other people who played the fan-translation and buy the official version to support the localization of future game.

If I speak for myself, I played Sengoku Rance years ago. It was one of the first Visual Novels I played and also one of, if not the best ones. I played it for months and numerous times. I will probably buy the official Version just to support it and I hope they somehow can make it possible to localize other gameplay-oriented games from companies like Eushully if the Alicesoft games are successful enough.

I'd be really happy to play most of the Eushully or similar games in english. I don't really like the no gameplay, bad story, but fappable games they usually translate, and hope they go for more gameplay orientated games in the future.

Monceber

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

You say as if releasing games oversea is something so easy to do... Not to mention Sengoku Rance is an adult game, you think they would just nonchalantly plan to release Rance series without considering backlash like that Rapelay controversy?
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that MangaGamer is not western office of the AliceSoft and they pursue their own goals of getting profit. Mostly because of the aforementioned Rapelay backlash, most of the Japanese games (and Alicesoft is not exception) are targeted only towards Japanese market. Hence I said - they don't care about popularity of their games in the west, as they achieved their initial goal by releasing game in Japan.

If Alicesoft really "doesn't give two shits about Rance's popularity in the west" then whether mangagamer exists or not doesn't matter, they would have never released any Rance game in the west considering how general western media antagonize Japanese adult games. If not for mangagamer AND the already existing popularity of Sengoku Rance in the west I'm pretty sure they wouldn't risk jumping in such "hostile" market.
I'm not trying to glorify Mangagamer here, just saying that likelihood of Alicesoft approaching them first with suggestion to localize Rance is close to zero. I'm also not denying that popularity of SR played a big role, but that was only because there was western adult company that figured that it could leverage it's popularity to gain some profits. If there weren't such company, we would still be left with fan translation only (which is perfectly fine too).

Look, man, that's not how business works. That's definitely not how localization of series works. To being with, fan translations are already in the gray area, as you need permission of the author of original. However, as most of them are published without any fee that is not a problem until licensing comes in. Take light novel market for example - do you expect localizing company (e.g. Yen Press) to start translating novel from volume 10, just because previous volumes were already translated? That doesn't make sense, at least that wouldn't for new people, who never read the novel/played the game.
And as I've mentioned, there are always people, who will buy the product even if they've beaten it just to show support to their creator.

markus0i

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I look forwards to playing this again, for the first time.

Dumbass comments aside, I'm very interested in their "New Game + mode". Is it something new, or basically free play mode?

thatguy123

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I love this game. It's without question my favorite game ever. I'll surely buy it to encourage Alicesoft, hopefully there's gonna be a physical version :^]

My only dream is for us to have a Rance figma before Alicesoft ends the Rance series. Seriously, all these games and no figure of the main protagonist? I'm going to lose my mind.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Not sure what you mean, both Sengoku and Rance Quest had newgame+ modes already. Sengoku newgame+ unlocked different routes and bonuses, Rance Quest had additional difficulty modes.