What's new

Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 2017-03-22]

JAB

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG

This might just be a small thing, and it might have been in previous updates, i purposefully doddges updates after 0.5 to get the large hit at once, but...

If she gets hit in the back with a shield equip, she loses health, obviously, but loses shield HP too. Is that supposed to happen or not? since the Shield itself is not getting hit.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

This might just be a small thing, and it might have been in previous updates, i purposefully doddges updates after 0.5 to get the large hit at once, but...

If she gets hit in the back with a shield equip, she loses health, obviously, but loses shield HP too. Is that supposed to happen or not? since the Shield itself is not getting hit.
Oh you meant losing "both" HP and Shield HP from ONE attack? If that happened, then it might be a bug. When hit with one attack, the outcomes should only be:
1. Lose HP.
2. Lose Shield HP.

Alternatively, what might have happened is that your shield gets hit first, then another attack hits the player. Also, the block mechanics are still a bit wonky.

Thanks for the observation too. I'll check it out.

JAB

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Oh you meant losing "both" HP and Shield HP from ONE attack? If that happened, then it might be a bug. When hit with one attack, the outcomes should only be:
1. Lose HP.
2. Lose Shield HP.

Thanks for the observation too. I'll check it out.
Yeah, sorry. Should have phrased that better.

Not all the time, but sometimes, getting hit from behind with a Shield equip results with lost HP and Shield HP from one attack, despite the hit received being from behind.

I have tried to get it about 20 times (since this morning) and only got the "bug" three times . Twice from the Archer and and once from the slime.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

... sometimes, getting hit from behind with a Shield equip results with lost HP and Shield HP from one attack, despite the hit received being from behind. ...
Sorry JAB, still trying to fix this one. Can't seem to figure out what went wrong :confused:
---

On another note, I just wanna let everyone know AoA is still being worked on. Here's what I'm currently working on:

Working on the new H-animation (left) and the new enemy mob "Champion" (right). The "Champion" although armor-clad, is coded to be persistent and will engage the player head-on. They also have good HP so it'll take proper use of skills to shut them down. After that one I have to do the 2p and 3p animation variant for both player and all enemies.

I also added a charge/hold mechanic for active skills in AoA after some suggestions came in via e-mail. Charging them will alter their properties a bit (e.g. Whirl skill, when charged will have a vacuuming effect as per .gif above) and incur stamina drain as it you hold down the corresponding skill button. I was thinking this might make players keep tab of their stamina bar and weigh between risk of being knocked down and the reward/versatility of charged skills.

---

From here on the versioning of releases will slow down a bit, next one being v0.8xx instead of jumping to v0.9 immediately like last time. I'll be trying for a release before end of November.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

New version up! The biggest change for v0.85 is the addition of chargeable skills. Charge by pressing and holding down the respective skill button. You will know when it is charged. Each active skill have been given some extra properties upon releasing the charged version.

The other change is the ability to access the skill menu. Now you can only access them at "end of round", as opposed to being able to access it anytime like before. Tell me what you think about this particular change please!

Password: aod

Release Notes for v0.85:
  1. Charge mechanism by holding down a respective skill's button.
  2. Skills now activate upon button-release, as opposed to button-press before.
  3. Currently all active skills are charge-able.
  4. New skill 'Parry'. Time it against enemies with weapons. Ineffective against slimes.
  5. An enemy 'Jester'. Runs about and pick up loot. Does not rape. Chance to spawn.
  6. Cultist boss now damages player on teleport.
  7. Skills cost less to upgrade now.
  8. Skills can now be reset when at max level if you so wish.
  9. Now only able to access Skill Menu at end of each round.

Other notes:
  • Nothing happens after ROUND [41]. Restart via Pause Menu (ESC).
  • Still no BGM! =(

I didn't test the charge mechanics thoroughly. Help me test!

Last edited:

candyfloss

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Mmm. How about using one of those royalty-free bgm from rpg makers?

I know some of them have been used over and over again, but I normally think that's fine. There are a few that are rarely used too.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I know some of them have been used over and over again, but I normally think that's fine. There are a few that are rarely used too.
Always looking to expand my library. I'd like to know both the common and rare ones too so shoot me a PM!

Mr. Bigshot

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

is there a way to skip rounds I got bored after 5. that and I died running after the clown .w.;

E

erobotan

hey hey, how about expanding this game ? to something like Diablo 1 or 2?

It's not an easy task since you have to update the pathfinding AI (doesn't need to be very smart, tolerable is enough - even AAA games' pathfinding AI sucks lol) and make more backgrounds. Just a thought :3

Soljer13

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

When I play i just make UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE sounds with my mouth.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

hey hey, how about expanding this game ? to something like Diablo 1 or 2?
It's not an easy task since you have to update the pathfinding AI (doesn't need to be very smart, tolerable is enough - even AAA games' pathfinding AI sucks lol) and make more backgrounds. Just a thought :3
I most certainly have that thought, erobotan. I have a dream. That dream is to make a H-games to the likes of diablo. Imagine an upcoming game like coupled with marvelously sprited sex. I'm no genius programmer or talented artist but if I get the time I'll definitely try, although it'll be a new game, at a much later time.

When I play i just make UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE sounds with my mouth.
I'm immediately reminded of from the Redline animation.

is there a way to skip rounds I got bored after 5. that and I died running after the clown .w.;
You have to cut ahead of him. He's still a WIP so he might be irritatingly unbalanced right now. You get a checkpoint after beating bosses (make sure you save & exit!) at rounds 10, 20, 30 and so on. Toggle between checkpoints via ESC > Restart > Choose round. Otherwise, navigate to the savegame.ini at "%\AppData\Local\AoD_Alpha2" and edit ROUND_MAX = 41.

Was there any issues/bug/glitches faced by you guys so far?

E

erobotan

I most certainly have that thought, erobotan. I have a dream. That dream is to make a H-games to the likes of diablo. Imagine an upcoming game like coupled with marvelously sprited sex. I'm no genius programmer or talented artist but if I get the time I'll definitely try, although it'll be a new game, at a much later time.
I suggest you expand this one to cut the amount of work but it's up to you ^^

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I suggest you expand this one to cut the amount of work but it's up to you ^^
Haha I most certainly understand the advice, buuuut I gotta at least have a finished game under my belt or I'll commit seppuku.

Yuan-Tiki

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 30-11-2015]

Gave this a try, so here's some thoughts.

First up, this is a very addictive little game. Nice work so far. Decent difficulty curve, reasonable variety of enemies and tactics required and some okay little h-animations. Sound design feels solid too, I kind of like a lack of BGM in games like this because it leaves me free to play things like in the background (or anything else that feels right, but I must say this went really well with godzilla music). The little rounds of applause in particular felt nicely understated.

I'd almost be interested in hearing some ambient crowd noise during the rounds too. Cheers when something dies and boos when something lands a good hit perhaps? A sudden intake of breath from the crowd as something plummets to it's doom? I don't know, feels like you could do something with the idea of spectators. Keep it subtle like the end of round noise and you're on to something, I think.

I do think that by about level 41, things are getting a little...swingy. The axe warriors in particular seem to have all too easy a time at knocking you clear out of the arena. I don't know, I kinda get why but it makes the gameplay significantly more frustrating. Perhaps if they knocked you over instead? Worth a thought.

Speaking of being knocked over, I have some thoughts about stamina. Namely, outside of rare occasions involving holding a charge for too long, it rarely seems to come into play. Enemies knock you down sometimes, but only after the kind of barrage that usually leaves you mostly dead anyway. Generally speaking, it only came up organically once or twice, usually in boss battles. (For the record, the bosses are pretty good and surprisingly well balanced between difficulty and fairness).

Thing is, you can run around the arena to your hearts content and swing your sword like it's a rolled up newspaper but you'll never see a hit on your stamina. I wonder if it might be worth seeing how it changed things if you lost a tiny bit of stamina every time you swing your blade, or take a hit on your shield. Not a huge amount and the stamina regen seems pretty strong anyway, but just enough to keep the bar from being so stable and forgettable most of the time? You could even try adding a small amount of constant drain when running. Not enough to overwhelm the regen, but enough to slow it down. That should combine so that the more frantically you are rushing around fighting things, the more energy you are expending and the higher the risk of a lucky blow taking you off your feet.

I don't know if that might shift the current difficulty balance a little, but it should allow the h-content to come into play more easily and honestly and add a little more tension as things get steadily more out of control.

But yeah, otherwise I'm impressed and will be keeping an eye on this. Lost a good few hours to this game tonight, very playable.

LucaDiGreg

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I agree on the crowd cheering and stamina suggestions from Yuan-Tiki.
In particular about stamina and knockdown I'd like to see some more importance to it cause at the moment, unless you're very unlucky, getting knocked down will only grant a free AoE attack. On the other hand, having some kind of "struggle mechanic" to wrestle with while being assaulted would make it far more compelling. I'm pretty confident you'd come up with a good alternative to the same old "fill up the bar" or you could think of some improved version of it like having different enemies result in different "bar behaviour" like longer, slow degenerating bars for strong enemies and shorter but faster degenerating bars for female/agile enemies.
It's just an idea, I don't know how difficult to implement it would be.
Always on the H - aspect having different behaviour/handling/difficulty for having the H bar partially filled like slower running or more frequent involuntary stops and a bigger/malus/bonus for filling it completely which could be some sort of HP temporary loss or attack boost depending on the difficulty you wish to achieve or the enemy who handled the H.
I have a question and a bug report btw: which animation is unlocked and when, cause I got a bug that made the "you've unlocked a new animation" message appear after each wave after the first boss.

Last edited:

Barinade

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I think it would be fitting if the jesters stole/ripped off your clothes or something if you came into contact with them.

Last edited:
OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Gave this a try, so here's some thoughts.

...I kind of like a lack of BGM in games like this because it leaves me free to play things like in the background (or anything else that feels right, but I must say this went really well with godzilla music).
I had a listen to the link and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know Godzilla had such epic music by Toshiyuki Watanabe. This shall be inspiration for me.

Cheers when something dies and boos when something lands a good hit perhaps? A sudden intake of breath from the crowd as something plummets to it's doom? I don't know, feels like you could do something with the idea of spectators. Keep it subtle like the end of round noise and you're on to something, I think.
Sounds good I can't pass this by. Although I should probably also include another option to turn it off, just in case. Some detection code for things like double-kill and throwing an enemy off will be needed.

I do think that by about level 41, things are getting a little...swingy. The axe warriors in particular seem to have all too easy a time at knocking you clear out of the arena.
I forgot to increase the interval between each whirlwind. Also you're right they might be doing a little too much knockback, but they are suppose to charge you off the arena, by design. Bait them to the corner and knock them off instead! The 'Survivor' passive can also periodically save you from falling.

Speaking of being knocked over, I have some thoughts about stamina. Namely, outside of rare occasions involving holding a charge for too long, it rarely seems to come into play. Enemies knock you down sometimes, but only after the kind of barrage that usually leaves you mostly dead anyway. Generally speaking, it only came up organically once or twice, usually in boss battles. (For the record, the bosses are pretty good and surprisingly well balanced between difficulty and fairness).
Regarding stamina, I can always increase the stamina damage/hit dealt by enemies, or pause/halve stamina regeneration whenever attacking/moving. I definitely see where you're coming from on this matter. Lots of kiting is inevitable for AoA, so I will adjust accordingly.

But yeah, otherwise I'm impressed and will be keeping an eye on this. Lost a good few hours to this game tonight, very playable.
Awesome! Glad you liked it!
I agree ... In particular about stamina and knockdown I'd like to see some more importance to it cause at the moment, unless you're very unlucky, getting knocked down will only grant a free AoE attack.
While it's true currently that the stamina doesn't lead to knockdowns very much, I can't say the same for ROUNDS 51 above. I will however adjust the stamina regen rate to make it slightly slower when not idling.

On the other hand, having some kind of "struggle mechanic" to wrestle with ...
Haha actually the current grapple system is actually a move away from "struggle" mechanic. There were grievances before because it stops the action completely. That one is here to stay unfortunately.

It's just an idea, I don't know how difficult to implement it would be.
Always on the H - aspect having different behaviour/handling/difficulty for having the H bar partially filled like slower running or more frequent involuntary stops and a bigger/malus/bonus for filling it completely which could be some sort of HP temporary loss or attack boost depending on the difficulty you wish to achieve or the enemy who handled the H.
This one is still up in the air. I had some notes on this somewhere but I'll get back to you on this later.

I have a question and a bug report btw: which animation is unlocked and when, cause I got a bug that made the "you've unlocked a new animation" message appear after each wave after the first boss.
Ah you actually have to "Save & Exit" in order to write to the savegame.ini file. Otherwise it won't register that you have "beaten" a boss everytime you launch the game. The UI is pretty tight, I'll have to figure a way out to inform the player which animation is unlocked, later.
My replies in BOLD

I think it would be fitting if the jesters stole/ripped off your clothes or something if you came into contact with them.
I was thinking of having them "confuse" you on contact, reversing your controls like suggested in the comments sect of my blog. Ripped clothes would require a new set of sprites though, so likely no :(

Yuan-Tiki

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Most Godzilla films soundtracks are done by Akira Ikufube actually, but it's surprising how difficult it is to find a bad one. Also surprising how good they went with AoA.

As for the axe-guys, I'd say they're not a huge problem so far. But they were starting to feel a bit much by level 41 specifically. My theory is that if the difficulty in general is ramping up from there, their whole ring-out technique might get a bit much. You've got your eye on it though, so I'm sure it'll work out.

My thinking with stamina is that it could feel interesting if it was a little more mobile in general. Rather than attacks necessarily doing more, you really need the total to not be guaranteed 100% if you aren't charging and haven't been attacked in the last couple of seconds. If there is a small cost to attacking, then the more frantic the combat the lower it goes. If there's a really small cost to running that'll add to that the longer you're being pushed. With running, it probably makes sense for it to just lower regen, but adding an actual cost to attacks means that it can come into play when the bar is already full, whereas I would assume if it only effected regen, it wouldn't do much if you aren't already starting to run low? How doable that is with the current code, I couldn't guess. You'd know better than me how much work that might entail.

Oh, speaking of stamina, I noticed that the bar doesn't actually start filling after you've broken the hold. Not until something else shakes it free essentially, like trying to charge a skill or something. Don't know if this is intentional or not.

As for Jesters, some things spring to mind. I mean, their main thing in terms of AI is that they try and avoid you for the most part, right? Occaisionally sneaking in to do something quick before running away again? So to my mind, you could go one of two ways. Perhaps they curse you with status debuffs, (like the movement reduction from the slime boss, or maybe a stamina-cap, damage debuff or stuff like that?) . The idea being that they are their to harass you and make your job against the other enemies more difficult. Alternatively, you play to that avoidant behaviour. Maybe if they survive long enough, they'll shed their current form and become something more dangerous like a shadowy demonic version or a random enemy (from a higher level?). So that it becomes a game of chasing the mad jester before he can unleash whatever it is he'll unleash.

Perverted Adventurer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I like it. It most certainly shows promise.

Playing it more I can see it has quite a few features and growing depth. Very nicely done.

Last edited:
OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Heya peeps, just popping in to post some progress report.

I've been working on event prompts for things like multi-kill and pushing multiple enemies off the edge. They trigger and reward the player with some gold they perform multiple kills, with less than 1.5 sec between kills. Following advice from this thread, the audience will also now cheer on the bloodbath.

For a change of pace, I'm working on multiple parts little by little to keep from feeling overwhelmed. Parts include the final boss, game end sequence, the 4th h-animation and bugs.

Also, I think I've fixed the 'stamina sometimes not regenerating issue'. On top of that, normal player attack now cost some stamina.

With all that aside ...

Jester suggestion galore!
Interesting ideas. I may keep Jester as is. The ideas I can use for other enemies that I cook up for future updates.
Playing it more I can see it has quite a few features and growing depth. Very nicely done...
Thanks! I only hope I can keep adding depth on top of more content.

I'm rather late, but Happy New Year everyone ;)