What's new

Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG [updated 2017-03-22]

Iczer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Arena of Audacia (AoA) - Top-down ARPG

I think that the game is pretty fun to play, keep up the good work.

Also if you could consider adding female or futa enemies that would be great.

saga55555

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Yeah I agree :D
Add some female or futa enemies. Maybe speed type like rogue or assassin class.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Yeah I agree :D
Add some female or futa enemies. Maybe speed type like rogue or assassin class.
Something like an agile, cunning female duelist that uses smoke-screen bombs to slow your movement? I can imagine this enemy being super rage-inducing.

Soljer13

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Will there be a boss/bosses?

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Will there be a boss/bosses?
There's only one boss at the moment and he's in Round 10. Bosses are a more powerful variation of the normal enemies and is to appear every 10 round intervals. Admittedly this boss isn't much of a challenge but that's just because he's an introductory boss. Also still in the process of improving AI.

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Looks very awesome, so far! =)

Are you planning to make it "rogue-like" (lose -> start over from scratch), or make it "rogue-lite", where every loss goes to the skill buying screen and then start over (so you accumulate gold over each play)?

It's up to you, but I'd vote for the latter. It lets you build on each run, and maybe lets you become more slutty over time?

Cheers, and keep up the great work! :D

saga55555

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Something like an agile, cunning female duelist that uses smoke-screen bombs to slow your movement? I can imagine this enemy being super rage-inducing.
It's good if you do enemies like that. It's will be great and challenge :rolleyes:

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Looks very awesome, so far! =)

Are you planning to make it "rogue-like" (lose -> start over from scratch), or make it "rogue-lite", where every loss goes to the skill buying screen and then start over (so you accumulate gold over each play)?

It's up to you, but I'd vote for the latter. It lets you build on each run, and maybe lets you become more slutty over time?

Cheers, and keep up the great work! :D
Thanks for the encouragement, they help immensely. I don't think this game counts are rogue-like at all since you keep all progress such as gold, skills purchased and everything else when you lose.

I suppose becoming slutty over time is some sort of corruption. Unfortunately AoA won't have a corruption system, it'll complicate things.

It's good if you do enemies like that. It's will be great and challenge :rolleyes:
But most importantly it should be fun! Getting the difficulty balance right would be a challenge.

Aerogablaze

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I dont know if this was already stated but..If the bar fills..You basically Gain a Heart correct?..Or is to going to reflect something Different later on. Because Using the means to gain Health back is quite the Interesting way to Sustain yourself during these waves..and I like it alot..To many games with the whole ..Game over rape and what not..But Using Rape to Restore to keep playing and Bashing about..Haw..Already see the Suggestion for Futas... Other then all of that..I really Do like what you have going..Gotta keep a eye on this one.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I dont know if this was already stated but..If the bar fills..You basically Gain a Heart correct?..Or is to going to reflect something Different later on. Because Using the means to gain Health back is quite the Interesting way to Sustain yourself during these waves..and I like it alot..To many games with the whole ..Game over rape and what not..But Using Rape to Restore to keep playing and Bashing about..Haw..Already see the Suggestion for Futas... Other then all of that..I really Do like what you have going..Gotta keep a eye on this one.
I think there will be mixed opinions on that sex-for-health mechanic in place. While it is a different take, it might still be "too clunky or a big hassle" for many. That's why I think it shouldn't be a "core" of AoA, only as a means to aid players if game is too difficult.

The sex-for-health should sit snugly between "viable" and "exploitable", if that makes any sense. I will likely control this via skills that increases arousal gain rates or allowing players to trip themselves, with a reasonable cooldown.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Can't help but feel the cum animation is a bit... off. Shouldn't the cum explode out a tad higher, directly over her orifices?

Reputation score

It has some issues. For instance, I really feel like the shield toss shouldn't automatically go off. I feel like it should be a "Press button once to aim and again to fire" kind of attack. It's incredibly frustrating to be aiming at a guy and have him running around you to try and avoid it, and then to almost have the shot lined up, but then the shield just throws out. Also, the delay between starting the attack and using it will get you killed once you hit level 5 or 6, making it almost completely impractical once you get there. Further, sometimes a targeted attack (such as the shield throw or the charge) will start with you facing in completely the wrong direction if you're pressing one direction then quickly press the other way, like if you're running from enemies then turn to launch the attack at them. It was very annoying to waste my opportunity to attack (or even run completely off the tower) to that.

Also, I feel like there should be varying levels of aggression from the enemies. The basic peasant conscripts (that's what the initial enemies look like to me) should really be cowards and not pursue you as aggressively as the foot soldiers and knights. I feel like that would balance the game much better and not make the later stages such a chore.

That said...

It was all I could think the whole time I was playing.

Seis

Demon Girl
Reputation score

AoA is gamepad compatible! Set up keys in the pause menu.
Except you don't mention anywhere that you press ENTER to pause. Who binds pause to ENTER? Took me a while to find it. :p You said it's gamepad compatible so i found pause, moved to the 3rd option, hit C and got a fatal error:
Code:
of  Step Event1
for object obj_controller_controls:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -5.CONT_GP_JUMP(100483, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_controller_controls_Step_1
############################################################################################
Windows 8.1 x64
Logitech Dual Action Controller

As for feedback, collecting the drops is cumbersome. I don't know if that's on purpose but it's frustrating trying to pick them up. It's like i have to be standing directly on top of them and stop moving.

Also in the pause menu, if you're going to have a "confirm?" step then i think you should also have an option to cancel. Pressing D to back out wasn't my first or second or even third guess.

Is there a way to stand up from being knocked down without getting raped? I feel that there should be. And i think the arousal bar takes too long to fill up. The animations are nice but it gets old pretty quick waiting for that bar to fill up to regain some health. Btw there seems to be no penalty for being raped, so it's really OP and exploitable. The only "penalty" for not escaping is waiting for the health to fill up.

I know this is early alpha and i welcome anything that isn't an RPG-Maker cookie cutter game, but i feel that this game is really missing something to make it stand out. There's no struggling, no undressing mechanic, no penalty for being raped. Then again maybe it's just me. :D

PS: If you want more gamepad testing from me, please PM me as i don't come on here too often.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Can't help but feel the cum animation is a bit... off. Shouldn't the cum explode out a tad higher, directly over her orifices?
The sprite might be a few pixels off. You're refering to the animation in which the heroine is carried?

It has some issues. For instance, I really feel like the shield toss shouldn't automatically go off. I feel like it should be a "Press button once to aim and again to fire" kind of attack. It's incredibly frustrating to be aiming at a guy ... Further, sometimes a targeted attack (such as the shield throw or the charge) will start with you facing in completely the wrong direction if you're pressing one direction then quickly press the other way, like if you're running from enemies then turn to launch the attack at them. ...
... there should be varying levels of aggression from the enemies. The basic peasant conscripts (that's what the initial enemies look like to me) should really be cowards and not pursue you as aggressively as the foot soldiers and knights. ...
That said...

It was all I could think the whole time I was playing.
Hmm to make the shield "press once again to throw", I'm going to need to have some form of notification. Looks like the shield throw will need to be re-designed.

The skills not facing the right way being frustrating is definitely understandable. I'm actually having dilemma solving this one because of how movements are handled in AoA. The dilemma in question:-
1. Having skills face your direction of travel (momentum), not limited to angles divisible by 45 like below. (Current fix)
2. Having skills face immediate direction, limited to angles 0, 45, 90, 135, 180 ... and so on because of 8-directional inputs (keyboard UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT). Say you want to aim North-East (45), but messed up holding UP-RIGHT by one key, then it will take directions 90 or 0 instead of 45.
Both will frustrate players at one point. I'll need to fix this quick.

Balancing game difficulty will be a challenge and is something I will have to see to most definitely. AoA will require your continual feedback and testing :D

Nastynassy

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Played the Demo was pretty fun, also I got a nice flashback to old commodore 128 times I had as a child, very nice!

The only thing to complain so far is the Shield throw its really akward to control it has also only humans, but that all already got mentioned before.

Thx for your work!

chuenlee

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Game is good. No bug no OP A.I.
Only 2 issuse rotation of skill like dush and shield.
Keep it up.
1 more question how to get out.
A)hp zero
B)random when still got hp
C)get hit by the back???

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Except you don't mention anywhere that you press ENTER to pause. Who binds pause to ENTER? Took me a while to find it. :p You said it's gamepad compatible so i found pause, moved to the 3rd option, hit C and got a fatal error:
Windows 8.1 x64
Logitech Dual Action Controller
Ah shoot. The controller config is a port from my older game Labcoax. Anyway I think your controller is still using the older DirectInput instead of the newer Xinput calls. Regardless I have in place the DirectInput handlers, I just forgot to update it.

As for feedback, collecting the drops is cumbersome. I don't know if that's on purpose but it's frustrating trying to pick them up. It's like i have to be standing directly on top of them and stop moving.
I'll increase the hitbox for the gold pickup, but only just a little.

Also in the pause menu, if you're going to have a "confirm?" step then i think you should also have an option to cancel. Pressing D to back out wasn't my first or second or even third guess.
You're right. It most definitely is missing a lot of instructions/notifications/information.

Is there a way to stand up from being knocked down without getting raped? I feel that there should be. And i think the arousal bar takes too long to fill up. The animations are nice but it gets old pretty quick waiting for that bar to fill up to regain some health. Btw there seems to be no penalty for being raped, so it's really OP and exploitable. The only "penalty" for not escaping is waiting for the health to fill up.
If you press 'attack' during knockdown, you will stand up. Again, lacking button prompts here. I still haven't decided on points you've stated here, but I will likely change the knockdown system along with the "sex-for-health" mechanics.

I know this is early alpha and i welcome anything that isn't an RPG-Maker cookie cutter game, but i feel that this game is really missing something to make it stand out. There's no struggling, no undressing mechanic, no penalty for being raped. Then again maybe it's just me. :D
I decided to make AoA as simple as can be so I stand a chance to complete it. The "one button break" grapple mechanic is deliberate and is an attempt to steer away from the struggling one. The rest are really nice to have.

PS: If you want more gamepad testing from me, please PM me as i don't come on here too often.
Awesome. I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I fix the controller handler a bit.
My replies in bold~

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Played the Demo was pretty fun, also I got a nice flashback to old commodore 128 times I had as a child, very nice!

The only thing to complain so far is the Shield throw its really akward to control it has also only humans, but that all already got mentioned before.

Thx for your work!
Thanks! I will keep it up.

Game is good. No bug no OP A.I.
Only 2 issuse rotation of skill like dush and shield.
Keep it up.
1 more question how to get out.
A)hp zero
B)random when still got hp
C)get hit by the back???
Alright I haven't quite clear this up but here's how the knockdown currently works:
  1. Getting hit in the back will cause a knockdown.
  2. To stand up from knockdown, press 'attack' button.
  3. At 0 health, you will no longer to be able to stand up.
  4. When knocked down, getting hit from the front will cause the player to stand, while getting hit from the back, you will remain knocked down.
** Note that I will change how knockdown is handled in the next release.

I hope I can put in a decent fix to make it less awkward or clunky to use, for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

Last edited:

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The sprite might be a few pixels off. You're refering to the animation in which the heroine is carried?
That's the one.

OP
datanony

datanony

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Apologies for the late update but I finally managed to put the demo out.

Password: aod

GIFs:

A couple of things to note in this release:
  1. New enemies: Slime and Cultist
  2. New boss: Archer
  3. Rounds go up to ROUND [21]
  4. Stamina bar now handles knockdown once depleted. Regenerates over time
  5. Changed aim-mechanics of Shield Throw (must input 'attack' to throw now)
  6. Changed aim-mechanics of Rush (runs toward input direction, although still suffering from running in the opposite direction)
  7. Animations** now unlock following your highest/further round achieved:
    • ROUND [ 1] - Animation 1
    • ROUND [10] - Animation 2
    • ROUND [20] - Animation 3* and so forth
  8. Now able to toggle opacity of foreground enemy during sex animation

* Not yet implemented.
** Animation number is determined by the angle in which the player is knocked down (say Animation 1 for facing NE, Animation 2 for facing SW).

It'd be great if you could help me test out the gamepad config. It wasn't working properly as previously pointed out by @Seis. I think I've fixed it now.

Last edited: