What's new

lesath

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Renfield

Have you ever bothered to read the comments of some video, torrent, etc around the web? It's full of hateful content. No matter how awesome the content is. Truth is, there are a lot of sad and lonely souls, who desperately seek notice, recognition and very often the way they seek it is through hateful speech, covered behind their screen.
If there's one thing life has taught me - it's just ignore them. As a creator, you must learn to make the difference between constructive criticism and the hormones of a lonely wanker.

Edit: Goodbye stalkerhood...

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I need to learn to stop talking about the game outside of these forums.
The feedback received from the average person is cringeworthy.

"Sky has no clouds. 0/10" - Typical fuckwit who's never made a game
I'd rather see that than the ones who just downvote and give no reason whatsoever (like on naughtymachinima for example). At least with that you can see it's just a mongoloid and not a reasonable complaint or something you need to fix.

Remember guys the best support you can give me is any post here.
It's much easier to stay motivated when I know people are out there who care about the project.
Rest assured, many of us are still watching even if we don't post in the thread regularly.

Anyway that problem I complained of earlier MIGHT have been solved.
The middleware I was using didn't have the features we need for the inventory and storage system.
So finally a "Eureka!" moment came to me.
The chests will be treated as friendly NPCs.
When the player opens a container it will join the party, you'll trade items with it, and then it will leave party.
A strange workaround to be sure, but I didn't really have any other choice.
Thinking outside the box. :D
Had to do that a few times myself. Try to do something the "recommended way" and end up quitting in frustration because it doesn't work only to open it up later and try some oddball approach that solved the problem.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Been looking at the Skyrim overhaul mod Requiem.
Think I'll take a look at some of the more popular rebalancing aspects of the mod.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

There's 2 basic dimensions to this project.
1) Creating the system itself. Interface, AI, combat mechanics, formulas for determining the success rate of actions, etc. etc. etc.
2) Adding content. More equipment, more items, more spells, more places, more characters.

I'm actually nearing the point where all the basic systems are in place.
The H-scenes are almost finished as well.
After that it's a only a matter of how much "stuff" I want it to have before I release it.
The longer the project takes, the more I'm tempted to release it while still in Alpha.

I can always update it over a period of time until the amount of stuff to do and see is respectable.
From the beginning I've said that I view Renfield as a sort of "Hentai Minecraft".
The original vanilla Minecraft was SO much simpler and bare-bones than the modern, heavily-modded game.
So while I know many projects like this die in obscurity, in Renfield's case the finish line is already within sight.

Yes

Demon Girl
Reputation score

That's great news! When you didn't update the thread for months I thougth you had shelved it but it's great to hear that its progressed to a place nearing alpha release.

I think you should release the alphas without a huge amout of content, but regularly, so that the feedback you get gives you extra motivation to finish it. You hear developers all the time talking about the last part of the project where content is created being the hardest to follow through with, but users can give good feedback about what they want in the game, so you don't feel like you're creating it for the sake of it. For example choice of weapons, what's the point in creating throwing stars if no-one wants to use them?

In terms of keeping content back, you could keep it area locked, so that people can test new features added without the world being spoiled. People don't like exploring the same place more than once, unless the experience is different. So maybe have a test zone, and then slowly build up the world backstory, characters and quests around it.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

We've been using a free program called DAZ to make our models.
Check out what some people have been doing with it:

Over time I hope to get more and more people involved in making content.

Sadako

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

We've been using a free program called DAZ to make our models.
Check out what some people have been doing with it:

Over time I hope to get more and more people involved in making content.
DAZ models are not offered free to use in games, are they?

Sadako

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Yeah, they have an indie game license that isn't terribly expensive.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Yeah, they have an indie game license that isn't terribly expensive.
Right.
I had one modeler who was nervous about the legality of being paid to make characters in DAZ for me.
You can't sell me the actual models, but you can sell me the labor that goes into customizing a fully morphed, clothed character.
It's just like selling presets on the DAZ marketplace.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Alright everyone...

This project is going to have to undergo some major changes/reductions if it is ever going to see the light of day.
I downloaded and played Secrossphere recently and it gave me an epiphany of sorts.
The epiphany was this: "You're working too hard."
My previous vision for Renfield was simply too ambitious.

After seeing what Secrossphere is, and how much it costs, I've realized that my plans were simply too elaborate.
Here's the new vision: Instead of some vast masterpiece of sandbox gaming with sex in it,
this is just going to be a sex game with fantasy elements/combat/plot shamelessly tacked on.
99% of the features I included, or was going to include, are going to be ripped out.
Frankly I don't know what I was thinking.

The new game is going to have story and dialogue that will just be tongue-in-cheek and quickly cranked out.
The combat will just be old school RPG combat.
The world will be much, much, MUCH smaller.
But the damn thing will actually get MADE and that's what's important.

-------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, have you guys seen Secrossphere yet?
It's like Illusion just took a giant shit in the mouths of its consumers.
I'm sure they'll put out a patch soon that lets you customize the girls and do other things.
Still, why in the world did they make this game so restrictive?

The game isn't without its good points.
But they took out basic features that you'd think were essential.
After a few attempts I couldn't get the DLC and various addons to install properly.
Strangely though, I didn't care. There was no reason to be upset because I'd lost motivation to play the game at all.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I'm going to make 3 new girls while I'm at it.
Also going to remake the main character.
Secrossphere has made me want a Shotagonist.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

How does anyone feel about Orc girls?

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

If you'd like to help me make more interesting/attractive models
it's as simple as pointing out what you'd like to see on the Daz marketplace.

or on Renderosity:

Just tell me what/who looks good in the shop and I might incorporate it into the game.

Last edited:
OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Although I've said I'm going to reduce the number of features drastically, I still want dynamic nakadashi.
Before I had a simple system that just sprayed some particles and used a moving texture to simulate the rise of the "water level" in the womb.
But look at this:
Imagine how good this could look for internal cumshots!

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Navigation will consist of spinning a globe of the world to select your destination.
The gameflow I'm thinking of now is akin to Corruption of Champions.
But instead of choosing Plains or Mountain from a menu, you choose a location from the globe.
Here's an early test using a map of Westeros & Essos wrapped around s sphere.

Once you enter a location, an event is called from a deck of suitable events/fights/encounters.
From early tests I've found this to have real ease of play and a high fun factor.
It's already set up to work with the XBox 360 controller for PC.
Globe navigation, combat and H-scenes will all support the controller natively.

I've already commissioned a map artist I've used in the past.
He's going to make a custom original map.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

If anyone reading this has experience with clothing conversion between 3D models, I could really use some help.