What's new

Would you survive?

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Would you survive?

Squid has anyone ever told you how incredibly geeky you are? Don't really like your vest, the pockets look to small for me. For that matter, I don't like the vests issued by the US army either. I prefer the suspenders where I can add as many ammo pouches as I want and where I want them. I wish I could afford a real Benelli Nova, but my old Mossberg still gets the job done, of course turkeys and ducks aren't exactly zombies.

As mentioned though we don't really know much about the situation so it is good to be prepared. I'm still planning on joining the zombie side though. All hail the Zombie King, and the Queen of course.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Lol learn to digital camo noob

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Muhh... -_-

Sure I've been called a geek before. And every other similar word. Hadn't heard it much since leaving school though. I'm sorry if I must seem absurd to you for "playing soldier". I make no pretentions of being some elite soldier or such. I will presume airsoft is virtually unknown as a sport on this forum. Which I guess doesn't help my case. Despite those pics I'm not a poser. I normally avoid attracting any attention to my self. This was a lapse coming from being in a good mood. Maybe I should have rethought. (Also, I couldn't help it with the awful one handed slouching stance, since I was holding the mouse in the other hand to click the photo button.)

I guess I'll take that as fair criticism coming from someone who has actually served in a real force. My vest gets the job done though. It's comfy, secure, and holds what I need. Six mags will last me through a common urban based skirmish, and I have belt pouches that allow me to double that for longer games. It's a widely used police style vest, intended for a low profile and manuverability rather than the all encompassing patrol rigs militarys use. And I'm running on a budget here. For £16 I'd say it was a bargain. I've put it through plenty of abuse over the last year and a half and not had the slightest issue with it. If anything it would be nice to have it in a matching camo, but as I said, on a budget and this was what was available.

When using the shotgun I don't normally have the red shells in there like that either, using black ones instead which don't scream 'shoot me' quite so much.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the old DPM camo pattern. In all my days crawling through the British woodland, I can tell you it works fine. You don't need military training to know what you can and can't see. I use DPM for general wear, German flecktarn is good for autumn, and black does it for urban. There are regular players at my local skirmish site who use various digital patterns, and there's honestly nothing special about it. It's as good as any other scheme, with the exception of the new "universal" American ACU, which tends to rather stand out in most lighting.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

When I said geek I meant it in a good way, not that I think your being stupid or some such. If you enjoy it keep doing it. It's not much different from me when I go hunting or if someone can convince me to go paintballing. Oddly I've found military tactics don't work worth a shit in paintballing. Of course I don't have a gun that shoots as fast or as good as anyone elses. Not really sure if airsoft is anything like paintballing or not though.

As to the vest yeah you are working with a budget, and I doubt if you have army surplus stores all over where your at to get cheaper stuff. That's where I've always bought my gear, for hunting or as a soldier. Anyways if it works for you I can't fault it, because everyone in my squad had their preferences.

As to the camo it doesn't really matter what fucking pattern you use unless your laying perfectly still in the dark. It's just as easy to see digital as it is to see someone in older patterns. What matters is using all the techniques of camoflauge, not just your pattern. During summer me and my nieces and the neighborhood kids like to play ghost in the graveyard at night. I can wear a bright red t-shirt and light blue jeans and still sneak up on everyone. Including my neighbor who's a former marine. Of course as a scout I have had lots of practice.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Airsoft is somewhat similar to paintball in that you move about and shoot other people. The difference is that the guns look a lot more similar to real ones and fire pellets or bbs... not sure which. Have a few friends from my highschool that used to play it all the time.

Also Ronny's right about the camo. The digital cam (at least for us Canucks) is deisgned to help against night vision equipment. Also Squid, the American stuff looks like it could work all right in a urban environment. Just from what I've seen.

I've never seen black shells. Old hunting friend of mine had blue, and in the military I've only seen green and red.

Also the vest. Yeah it looks budget, and only a handful of magazines would suit police purposes, and I guess your airsoft games as well, but reverting back to topic, a military vest would be more helpful during an outbreak as you could carry more stuff that you might want/need with you.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah so airsoft would be closer to what we did when we got bored and went out to the MOUT site with our BB guns. Fun stuff.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the whole point of the digital is to make it harder to see under night-vision. Same with the materials they make the BDU's out of. I actually got out before we had to switch to the digital camo so I don't actually have any. All my shells are either brown or green, but I never used a miltary shotgun. Just hunting.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Today we bury the digital camo joke. It went so misunderstood in it's time. Although it tried so desperately hard to make others laugh, it died in vain when 3 users took it too seriously and beat it to death with their shoes.

A moment of silence please.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Heh. I think the two recent entries in the "If you could change anything about yourself..." thread wraps up this misunderstanding. No space for insecurity issues when up against the zombies. Shame everyone missed the digital camo joke as well. Oh and yeah, the ACU is fine in urban, but just doesn't match British woodland for squit. (at least my local woodland)

Airsoft can be compared to paintball, but generally sees much less public attention. Except in particularly strong winds it's typically longer range and more accurate too, with a wider variety of equipment. It's came under attack from governments for the reason of the guns looking too real. High quality ones can be virtually indistinguishable by eye alone. Most people think of kids in the back yard when they hear the word. I play an ex RAF airbase and the surrounding woods. There's a lot of us and it great fun. I even once got to ride into the game in a restored working FV432 APC on a weekender event down south. Not many people get that kind of experience without enlisting. My collection unfortunately wouldn't be much use at all against zombies. Maybe blind them? Would be better off without it really.

Oh, and the shells aren't real ones. Airsoft stuff again. They're just cleverly shaped magazines to hold the BBs. The shotgun is powered by propane gas. Blasts 5 out at a time at 300 feet per second. Fun but not exactly a hunting tool. The times I've been hunting I've used a lead pellet air rifle, and it's been pidgeons. Got to have a perfect aim with those things. If you don't hit the head or the vitals they fly away and die somewhere out of sight. A zombies eye socket would be similar, but bloody hard.

I did say, the people in the US have it easy when it comes to anti zombie tools.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Unfortunately, an eye socket shot would not confirm a kill against a zombie with something like a lead pellet. The hole at the back of the socket is much too small for the pellet to get through I believe, plus the tissue inside said hole is tough enough to withstand said pellet. Without hitting that hole, the pellet has the possibility of going through the eyeball, but would bounce off the bone at the back of the socket.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

you brits have it easier than us aussies, we've go more or less nothing. i'm lucky enough to have a bow but i dont have enough arrows to sustain a fight against more than one or two zombies and its not particularly powerful. i've got a friend who would be pretty set but he collects weapons.

i remember once he told me about when his girlfriend put her hand down the side of his bed and wondered what what she felt was. she gave it a tug and pulled out a battle ax. i dont think she went looking through the bowels of his room again.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah Americans definately have the advantage when trying to find weapons. Of course being in Australia, you may have an advantage in that the virus or whatever cause the zombies may not reach Australia because of it's isolation.

On a somewhat interesting note to me anyways. I watched The night of the Living Dead when I was visiting my mom earlier. Did you know that not once do they refer to the undead as zombies, but rather as ghouls. Now the difference between zombies and ghouls isn't that big. I still find it interesting to think that what most people think of as zombies would be more appropriately called ghouls. Zombies are really more what you think of when talking about voodoo. Just animated dead who have no will of thbeir own. Of courase this does nothing to help in the case of actual zombie or ghoul attack. Just an interesting thought.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm entierly screwed - I'm in Canada. Fewer weapons, and corpses keep well if it's winter. Not to mention snow REALLY limits your ability to get away.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, but the zombies should have the same trouble moving through the snow. Even more depending on which type of zombie, don't know if they could figure out the skis or snowshoes.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

The difference is that cold wouldn't really effect them. They could just plow through it. Humans would freeze.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Pbird, you're in Canada and you think there's a lacking of weapons? I'm truly shocked. I have buddies who can get assault rifles in Toronto, I myself have a shotgun and rifle, my cousins got a bunch of shotguns and rifles. There are plenty of weapons to be found in Canada, almost as much as the U.S. if you bother to look hard enough and have the right connections.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

~Coughs~ We have less, at least in my area, than the USA does. It's possiable to get them, but you won't find a gun in every household wolf.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

It's not like everyone here owns them either, I only know a dozen people who even own a gun. it does change depending on where in the country you are though.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

canada has somewhere in the region of 3 guns per person in civilian ownership...

even if your area doesn't have many they are only uncommon or rare items. Australia they are practically unattainable without access to police / military stores, going to a hunting store or having underground connections. outside that private collectors are very rare. I've heard of people having guns but I've never even seen one thats not in a museum or being held by a cop / soldier.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Canada may have fewer weapons, but I don't know about per person. Ronny, you know how guns per person it is in the states?

Regardless, learn to live in the cold, because further north is a good place to hide from zombies. There is speculation that the cold temperature very much disagrees with the body of a dead person. Even more so than a live one.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I don't know about Britain having it easier than Australia. Other than distinct geographical differences I think we're fairly similar in our weapons policy. I don't know anyone who owns a gun, just the most likely government areas to hold them. Without checking the details I think we're pretty much restricted to breach barrel shotguns, and only comparatively low power shells. Possibly a few other sub sonic single load weapons. No magazines or semi auto.

The few times I've seen one was at the airport once, not long after the terror strike scares. They had some kind of "less-lethal-launcher", or bean bag gun (possibly), and I caught a glimpse of what looked like a glock. And way back on middle school swimming trips at an RAF base, though I was too young to know anything about the guns then. (Yeah, my school went to an active military base to take the kids swimming. Government pool an all, so they didn't have to pay a third party company I guess.)

The UKs rural areas would probably be a decent place to deal with the undead. Just sparse enough that zombie numbers will always remain manageable and detached, yet with enough settlements to find supplies in the early days of the crisis. There's a plenty of alternate roads in my area. A rather messy network of old roads, but with a common road map, any blocked off route (whether from an especially dense horde or a blockage of some kind that you don't have the time to move) will always have several other ways round.