Reputation score
Re: TV or not TV

I heard Lost was pretty decent though

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i heard the writers strike didn't really effect lost... if you get what i mean.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

i heard the writers strike didn't really effect lost... if you get what i mean.
I get i!

The series was written by manatees!

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh right, forgot Fringe. It's not on at the time, they're probably working on the next season or whatnot. Walter's antics are indeed pretty interesting and make up about half the appeal of that show.
They've come out with two or three of the season 2 episodes (at least in the us), so I'm pretty sure it's on tv at the moment. Same night as Bones if I recall...

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Nope. In fact if I did I'd be breaking the law. Pay £100+ for a TV license? Screw that. I registered as a non TV property to avoid that expense. It's one downside to the UK. The license only pays for the BBC channels, but without it your not allowed to watch any of the independent channels either. Most stuff I watch on a TV is downloaded and played via HDMI cable from my laptop. Other than that my flat mates dvd collection has a year or two of straight viewing time that won't be depleted for a long time yet. Anime, movies, and assorted TV series. On a sunday the flat has become something of a walk in cinema for my friends.

Really, TV just doesn't much interest me any more. Interesting to see it's a similar case for many here.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

You... have to get a license to watch tv in britain? you... poor saps...

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

As far as I know we're the only country in Europe to do it. They don't make it obvious how to get out of the license either. I forget who was responsible for it, but the system stuck. Bizarrely I discovered it costs a lot less if you only own a blank and white TV. Don't know how many people that applies to any more.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As far as I know we're the only country in Europe to do it. They don't make it obvious how to get out of the license either. I forget who was responsible for it, but the system stuck. Bizarrely I discovered it costs a lot less if you only own a blank and white TV. Don't know how many people that applies to any more.
No you're not the only ones. Germany has that as well - you've gotta pay for the public channels or not get any TV at all. Applies to radio as well.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

The fee, in the UK, goes to support the BBC, right? Honestly, I'd be alright with it just because of that.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

I like to watch the game I am currently playing on my PS3.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

What game would that be?

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

OK, so I'm looking for more a new TV series, gimme suggestions!
I like Burn Notice
Heroes.
House.

Yeah, I think that's it.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Erm. You'll slap me for saying this, most likely, but what the hell.

Stargate Universe.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I enjoy House and the three or four times I've seen Burn Notice I liked it too, so even though I can only offer my opinion on what I've liked, it might coincide with what you'd like too. I'd suggest Bones (the relationship between the two main characters is hilarious without getting overly dramatic) and NCIS; the humor in both series is in sort of the same vein. You might also enjoy Lie To Me, although I find that show is basically just a House wannabe with a different scientific aspect. Still worth a shot though.

Then of course there is law and order... the sheer size of it (21 seasons plus 11 seasons of SVU) means there is pretty much always going to be something you haven't seen. Although that's less humor and more drama. so that's hit or miss.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Erm. You'll slap me for saying this, most likely, but what the hell.

Stargate Universe.
I haven't got a chance to watch that one yet, but i loved the other two series. How is it?