What's new

The Ranting/Debate Thread

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
Re: The Ranting/Debate Thread

As my friend's cousin once said, "When you grow up, you learn: ALL people are douchebags."
i've always measure adulthood by the ability to admit that everyone is retarded and that you aren't any different. Once you realise that you are fallible and that you often have stupid ideas, you can try to identify these things and do something better instead.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

RAGE

Alright, so lately, I've found a new thing to be pissed about: people who just drop off the face of the Earth/Universe/Internet without even so much as a 'Hey, gonna be gone for a bit 'cause of XYZ.'

Usually, I just deal with it, but it's just been pissing me off lately. So far, my favorite fanfic author has disappeared; the guy who does VGcats seems to be missing (it's been too long, even for him); a flash author on NG I lik; and - over the course of the past 4 years - 4 of my friends, a couple irl, a couple from the internet.

It just pisses me off that there are people out there that can just up and leave without really saying anything at all. I realize shit happens, but is it REALLY that hard to keep people updated on what happened/is happening?

IDK. Maybe it's just because it's not in my nature to go missing for very long periods of time without letting SOMEBODY know wtf happened. For some reason, it's just been getting on my nerves lately.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

On a related note to that, I got promoted to officer in a game 6 months ago, but left without saying anything just before that. Oops, at least they knew I had a history with them for 3-4 years of coming on and off at random months, sometimes disappearing for 3+ months.

Besides that, I know at least 8 people, not including authors of flash stuff, webcomics, etc, actual people I know, that disappeared without a trace, only one told me a reason he would be gone a day before he disappeared.
It can be frustrating, I just try not to think on it.

..Anyway, I'm gonna go download that game to at least say hi.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Hah. Yes. I have this friend whom I love to death. But she talks to me for a couple weeks and then vanishes for months at a time. No getting online, no answering her phone. I naturally get the feeling she hates me. Then all of a sudden she's like OMG HAI! like half a year later.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I freak the fuck out when that happens. I think they've gotten hurt or something

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

yeah me too. but I don't want to be like creepy stalker person who constantly calls.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

My fear of them being hurt over-rides that instinct with me >.>;;

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Without having read most of the longer posts above me (I'm sure they were all good though), I'd like to give you my view on religion.
First and foremost I believe that science and religion are not as impossible to unite as most people think. Science (and that includes the theory of evolution) tells us HOW things happen. Not WHY. And when I look around and see the complex structures our world and the entire universe is based on I refuse to believe that all of this has happened by accident. Now I'm not a Christian, but that has other reasons (mostly because of the Roman Catholic view on sexual protection, and several things out of their history). I believe that some form of sentience exists and has nudged us into the right direction now and then (giant dinosaur crushing piece of stone, anybody?), and that its plan is so incredibly vast that humanity doesn't stand a chance to ever comprehend it.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

and that its plan is so incredibly vast that humanity doesn't stand a chance to ever comprehend it.
*At the beginning of the universe*

God: "Daaaaaamn... That was a wild ass party. Holy shit.. I'm gonna.. gonna... gon-"

*Pukes for seven days straight*

God: "Ohh... Ohh my me... What have I just created? Whoa... Check those lizards out... I should throw shit at them."

*Later when humans formed*

God: "Duuuuude. Those guys are, like, making a civilization. I should totally fuck with their heads!"

*On Earth*

God: "I AM THE SUPREME BEING OF THE UNIVERSE. FOLLOW MY WORD AND I WON'T CHUCK SHIT AT YOU."

People of Earth: "... Was that a voice in the sky? He sounds like he knows what he's doing. Let's worship him!"

God: OKAY, FIRST, I WANT ALL THE GUYS TO BE BADASSES AND FIGHT EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME. ALL THE LADIES, YOU'RE NOW TO WEAR THESE TWO PIECE BATHING SUITS AS YOUR NORMAL ATTIRE. AAAAAAAAAAND ACTION!"

*Today*

and that its plan is so incredibly vast that humanity doesn't stand a chance to ever comprehend it.
God: "Totally. Nobody knows what the hell a drunk omnipotent being's gonna do. Not even himself."

Reactions: XSI

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

*At the beginning of the universe*

God: "Daaaaaamn... That was a wild ass party. Holy shit.. I'm gonna.. gonna... gon-"

*Pukes for seven days straight*

God: "Ohh... Ohh my me... What have I just created? Whoa... Check those lizards out... I should throw shit at them."

*Later when humans formed*

God: "Duuuuude. Those guys are, like, making a civilization. I should totally fuck with their heads!"

*On Earth*

God: "I AM THE SUPREME BEING OF THE UNIVERSE. FOLLOW MY WORD AND I WON'T CHUCK SHIT AT YOU."

People of Earth: "... Was that a voice in the sky? He sounds like he knows what he's doing. Let's worship him!"

God: OKAY, FIRST, I WANT ALL THE GUYS TO BE BADASSES AND FIGHT EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME. ALL THE LADIES, YOU'RE NOW TO WEAR THESE TWO PIECE BATHING SUITS AS YOUR NORMAL ATTIRE. AAAAAAAAAAND ACTION!"

*Today*

God: "Totally. Nobody knows what the hell a drunk omnipotent being's gonna do. Not even himself."
Dude, that's soo fucked up it's funny XD

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Science (and that includes the theory of evolution) tells us HOW things happen. Not WHY.
Well, science is kinda 'Things happen, man. Dude, there doesn't have to be any why. It just, like, is.' There isn't anything guiding evolution, there isn't any why behind it, it's simply that the next best adapted creatures tends to survive to reproduce.

(giant dinosaur crushing piece of stone, anybody?)
Actually, that is impossible to tell from random chance. Probability says that Earth gets smacked every once in a while, it happened while the dinosaurs were around is all.

its plan is so incredibly vast that humanity doesn't stand a chance to ever comprehend it.
And, sorry, but I really don't see that as anything other than a cop-out. 'Well, there must be a plan, but it's just so complex that we can't understand it. That's why we don't know what it is and don't have evidence for it.'

Also, . Kind of in line with what DarkFire posted.

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't get all the love for batman. I mean, I understand it, but I disagree. I think he gets far too much credit. Yes, he's a bad ass normal in a world of super-powered beings, but there's more than one of those. There's any number of heroes in DC alone that do their job without superpowers. The Question, Green Arrow, Wildcat, most of batman's partners in gotham, the list goes on I'm sure. He's not the only hero to survive by his wits, and he's not even the most original! At his core, he's basically a carbon copy of Zorro. Wealth? Check. Butler? Check. Hidden lair below mansion? Check. Childhood Trauma? Check. Foppish alter-ego? Check. It's one thing to be inspired, it's another to copy the shit out of a previous work.

The thing I've come to hate about batman is how ridiculous it becomes. I can believe 'world's greatest detective', but at some point someone decided he had to be greatest at everything. At this point, the list of his abilities becomes farcical, in league with Superman in the sixties. Suddenly he's an expert in all biology, strategy, chemistry, combat, astrology, astronomy, metallurgy, zoology, anything else that you could possibly think of! I don't know how he has time to learn everything about every field and still be Batman, Bruce Wayne, and remember his parents! I like the films, but they steer clear of most of that bullshit and, in turn, my ire.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Why does everyone assume that I want to go out in the middle of the day, while it's too hot to do anything but lay down?

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I have no idea, but heat sucks for my laptop, the cooling never was very good and this is not helping at all.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Same here, when my right hand rests on the right hand side of my laptop to type, sometimes it gets properly uncomfortable because it's got so hot. And I'm pretty sure it's slowing down my PC.

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

First and foremost I believe that science and religion are not as impossible to unite as most people think.
"Science without religion is lame, and religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

They answer different questions. Science is "how", never "why." I use the term faith instead of religion, but there's where you can try to find your best "why"

Lurker
Reputation score

I've also decided to take affront at cinema. I've started loosely following movie news, and it turns out several movies are being made that seem like someone lost a bet. Or several bets. List:

Battleship
Where's Waldo
Stretch Armstrong
Asteroids
Candyland

That's just what I recall off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's more to come. What the fuck? And then I read crap like "The plot is being kept tightly under wraps." Oh, good, because I'd hate it if YOU DON'T HAVE A GODDAMN CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Time to cash in on the people slightly older than me getting a huge wave of nostalgia, no doubt. XD