What's new

The Ranting/Debate Thread

E

Exofluke

Re: The Ranting/Debate Thread

Well... I failed to elaborate. I was meaning to talk about dedication and effort on an individual level. I had started with A vs. B in hopes to get a base ground set, by which I could start leading towards comparison generally being bad and for X examples that may have began in the debate.

I was basically playing devil's advocate. Newbie changed that quite quickly.

The point is that people are acting selfishly. It shows when artists are getting attention based on show/character choice and not one's effort to produce good looking material.

Last edited:

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

And you seem intent on comparing Kim Possible and Afro Samurai, as though KP was anywhere near the same tier of effort. To put this in perspective: KP was a long running series, so considerations had to be taken to simplify the animation and make it cheaper, easier, and faster to produce, regardless of how extravagant any hypothetical character designs were. Afro Samurai was six episodes, and therefore they were able to make many design decisions that would be otherwise untenable. It wasn't something they had to do for years, so they could do whatever they wanted. Better is to compare AS to animated films, as I'm not entirely sure that there are any cartoon mini-series out there.
Let's compare kim possible with one piece, dragon ball, bleach and others that have been running for longer than many western cartoons and have extremely good art styles.
The problem lies in the watcher, eastern people want quality while western people don't care much, so it's obvious that average anime have to be better than average cartoons to appeal the average audience.
The fact western audience takes everything it's fed makes the average quality of the works lower than the average anime, it is an obvious result that comparing something to something better would make it look bad.

you aren't comparing art you are comparing over all quality of two similar things.

if something has poor art but is so imersive that you forget about it, it could easily be better than something with perfect artistry (if anything it should be disascosiated from the artist in this discussion). Sure having good art helps but it is only part of something that makes the final decision about quality, you also have to take everything else into account.
The problem is that the western animation with immersive storylines and characters is not as good as it's eastern counterpart(because western animation is underrated in the west) and to top it off east put great art in it, ever seen Spirited away, Paprika or Ghost in the shell, give me something that compares to that.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Dragon Ball is quality? I've watched episodes that use the same damn animation over and over and over and over... you get my point? That wasn't exactly quality. I've watched it recently... full of cheesy dialogue.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Whilst I certainly wouldn't consider Dragon Ball an example of quality anime, I think I agree with JohnDoes points there. Though most of the talk of effort and art through this discussion confuses me.

In 99% of any animation, it's not really down to effort, a sense of artistry or any connection to the project. The art style and quality of animation are results of the intended genres involved, and the production values (budget/team experience) allocated by the producers.

As far as western animation goes, I can think of two primary reasons for the overall lower animation quality. Firstly, 90% of western animation is aimed at kids, and kids aren't fussy. Few people take it seriously or consider animation a respectable medium for audiences above early teens. Even in the newer CG movies, the industry has got fixated on the idea that an animated movie should be aimed at kids but with enough in-jokes for the parents to enjoy. Few dare imagine the concept of a purely adult animation. Secondly, western animation has not yet truly evolved past/escaped the word . The majority of western animation series are light hearted comedy and slapstick. Basic, inhuman or deformed character designs and art styles typically don't harm the humour, and are even frequently used to add to it. Detailed human character designs and smooth animation are not necessary and would only put up production costs.

Most Japanese anime revolves around the standard 20-26 progressive story based format, across all genres. Many focus on a sense of drama and immersion, have an otherwise serious style, or are based around character empathy. These often require more detailed and human looking character designs and attention to animation quality.

You can still see the same principle between genres on either side. The average Japanese comedy or kids anime typically won't put the same level of animation quality in as more serious series. And will make more liberal use of money/time saving technique like comical simplified/exaggerated expressions, super deforming, chibi replacement, etc. Plenty you could consider as a cartoon. Titles like Ghost in the Shell or Death Note avoid such things absolutely.

I was going to say some things about Avatar/Afro Sam which tie into what I've said here, but need to go. Will do that latter.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Dragon Ball is quality? I've watched episodes that use the same damn animation over and over and over and over... you get my point? That wasn't exactly quality. I've watched it recently... full of cheesy dialogue.
Heh, well it's still a long running series graphically more appealing than kim possible, that was the point, but dragon ball has seen an impressive growth in the art style during the many years it's been around, you rarely see this kind of things in both western and eastern animation, so i think it deserves a spot in the good animes.

Last edited:

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

The problem is that the western animation with immersive storylines and characters is not as good as it's eastern counterpart(because western animation is underrated in the west) and to top it off east put great art in it, ever seen Spirited away, Paprika or Ghost in the shell, give me something that compares to that.
well yes so you keep saying but you dont actualy say why. ghost in the shell is one of my favourites and one of the few anime i would actualy consider good on an absoloute scale (as opposed to meerely i enjoy) and i've already said one, Daria. Its not complex and in depth like GitS but it is pure quality and takes itself seriously (musical episode withstanding). If you want something for adults, drawn together, so briliantly pointless entertainment and definantly not for kids (not to mention well animated).

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

(A quick googling and a few clicks latter...)

So that's where your old sig quote about pizza comes from.

E

Exofluke

Why comparison is bad:

1. People are selfish. By allowing comparison to take any authority, we are effectively handing authority to the viewers. This destroys the point of art.

"Highly Stylized Art"... lol... right in the beginning too. It's a good documentary but I brought it up because somewhere in those parts, they mention how anime is relative to western culture's film industry. That's the level commitment.

If we look at western toons, the level of commitment is limited. What we're seeing with western cartoons, are points and stories being told, but on a level where the animation and drawing style doesn't need to be anything but cheap. You don't need a style like Ninja Scroll to tell the story of Danny Phantom. This is why comparison is bad.

The animators of Ninja Scroll had worked very hard to illustrate. It's not just a story, but also a perspective and tone that brings out the beauty of the story. This is a prime example of how art works.

The animators of Phantom Fag may have worked hard, but they weren't focusing on visualizing the story. It was more of "let's get an overall style setup, that is easy and quick to animate, so we can tell our story".

When you try to compare the two art-wise, you're hurting the animators of NS. You're taking their commitment and slapping it in the face. You can't argue in favor of Danny Phantom without coming off as autistic. That or you just have no idea what art is.

...oh but wait... people do have an understanding of art and arn't autistic and still argue, so what could that mean? Now we're back to my first point in this post.

Last edited:

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

well yes so you keep saying but you dont actualy say why. ghost in the shell is one of my favourites and one of the few anime i would actualy consider good on an absoloute scale (as opposed to meerely i enjoy) and i've already said one, Daria. Its not complex and in depth like GitS but it is pure quality and takes itself seriously (musical episode withstanding). If you want something for adults, drawn together, so briliantly pointless entertainment and definantly not for kids (not to mention well animated).
It's not easy to explain, these are movies you have to see for yourself to understand, the atmosphere, the music, the direction, it's an experience you need to do with an open mind, not something you can force others to do, so whatever i say it would be what i saw and in trying to see that you would probably miss what you would enjoy in them.
Anyway, Daria is definitely not well drawn, the art style is actually pretty awful even for western standards, but i'm gonna guess that's part of the atmosphere it tryes to create being the collection of nihilistic sarcasm and dark irony it is. It's basically the same as the simpsons, but with a different kind of humor. I'd say it's not exactly a good example of good western animation, since the animation is not good and it feel like an audiobook of sarcastic jokes and caustic puns, it's fun if you like it and it's not fun if you don't. It doesn't give you a chance to find your interpretation of the events it gives you it's opinion and if you like it good, if you don't your one of the stereotypes it makes fun of.
Ghost in the shell tells you a story, tells you how the main character feels in her search for an answer to her existence, but never gives you a straight answer, never tells you what you should think, it gives you a chance to form your own opinion, it creates an enviroment where you can wonder about things that you would never be wondering about in your real life, and it does this while using great visual effects, mechs and fantastic battle animations, and in the end you chose what the answer was, you chose what you want to see in it.
Well, maybe it wasn't all that hard to explain why they are good, if that makes any sense to you that is.

Btw, is well animated, is not, do we all agree on this?

Last edited:

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Vuki, you sure seem to like contradicting yourself, Don't you?

You say that you cannot compare art because this destroys the point of it and hands authority to the viewer but you yourself continue doing it despite that your position on both your examples is that of a viewer.

Also lol at your falling back on insulting those that prefer Danny Phantom by calling them autistic.

E

Exofluke

I do it to prove a point. Clearly you missed that.

Also, I wasn't calling people who like DP autistic. I was calling people who try to defend DP as some kind of grade-A quality art - autistic. You missed that point as well. You're on a roll buddy.

Last edited:

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

It's not easy to explain, these are movies you have to see for yourself to understand, the atmosphere, the music, the direction, it's an experience you need to do with an open mind, not something you can force others to do, so whatever i say it would be what i saw and in trying to see that you would probably miss what you would enjoy in them.
Anyway, Daria is definitely not well drawn, the art style is actually pretty awful even for western standards, but i'm gonna guess that's part of the atmosphere it tryes to create being the collection of nihilistic sarcasm and dark irony it is. It's basically the same as the simpsons, but with a different kind of humor. I'd say it's not exactly a good example of good western animation, since the animation is not good and it feel like an audiobook of sarcastic jokes and caustic puns, it's fun if you like it and it's not fun if you don't. It doesn't give you a chance to find your interpretation of the events it gives you it's opinion and if you like it good, if you don't your one of the stereotypes it makes fun of.
Ghost in the shell tells you a story, tells you how the main character feels in her search for an answer to her existence, but never gives you a straight answer, never tells you what you should think, it gives you a chance to form your own opinion, it creates an enviroment where you can wonder about things that you would never be wondering about in your real life, and it does this while using great visual effects, mechs and fantastic battle animations, and in the end you chose what the answer was, you chose what you want to see in it.
Well, maybe it wasn't all that hard to explain why they are good, if that makes any sense to you that is.

Btw, is well animated, is not, do we all agree on this?
Daria has more to it than you think, with an over arching story about life as a teen outcast through school and the start of university. GitS has a more in depth and intriuging story yes, but that doesn't make it better, just like having clearly superiour animation doesn't make it better as a whole.

This whole discussion started as wether western cartoons or eastern anime was better.

Obviously being a western cartoon doesn't automaticaly make it worse than eastern anime.

Then wether your favourite thing is a particualr anime or a cartoon is up to personal opinion but the traits common to either of them aren't iron clad rules about which is better.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

This whole discussion started as wether western cartoons or eastern anime was better.
It actually started with a declaration that all western animation was shit, save some stuff for adults.

E

Exofluke

Obviously it was just a mistake. I should have started with the main point. *noted for future debates*

Just to clarify a bit, on my behalf... I am saying anime is better than western cartoons, but only on the level of art. I'm only doing this to make a case against western toon lovers who pride their children's shows too much.

Now if you're trying to claim anime is better than western cartoons story-wise or character-wise... then count me out. I can't argue that, because it really is a matter of personal opinion.

Yet if you want to argue one person's effort to illustrate something fantastic looking, over someone who draws borderline to tell a story. Then I'll debate.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well if that was your point then as a general statement i'd have to agree.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

Daria has more to it than you think, with an over arching story about life as a teen outcast through school and the start of university.
Daria is still episodic and stereotype driven, the main focus of the series is to ridicule comformism and create an entreaining character that the average teen can relate to, the fact she has a life outside of the episodic nature is barely a background, the worst part is is that Daria herself is the stereotype of a 30 year old highshooler built in an emotion tank covered in sarcasm and puns, i haven't seen the whole thing cause it got boring at some point, but she doesn't seem to grow as a character, or look for something, she never doubts herself or her point of view on life, she is the worst pun of the whole show, she is what the audience wants to see, what the audience wants her to be, she's there to appeal to those who share her opinion, i might have missed something tho. Care to elaborate your opinion more?

GitS has a more in depth and intriuging story yes, but that doesn't make it better, just like having clearly superiour animation doesn't make it better as a whole.
Superior animation and more intriguing story, are you even trying to defend Daria anymore?
What's your point?
What is exactly that saves Daria in your statement?

Obviously being a western cartoon doesn't automaticaly make it worse than eastern anime.
I have never said, implied or meant this in any of my posts, i'm taking the top of eastern animation and comparing it to the top of western animation, you came out with Daria and i'm saying that it's not good enough to be comparison material, that show is not a paragon of western animation and i've already said why:
1) Animation is sub-par even for western cartoons.
2) Story is not the main focus of the series, being it episodic and stereotype driven.
3)The message is compromised by unrealistic stereotyped characters and continuos puns.

And this is not just a personal opinion, it's an objective analysis, if you think you can prove my facts are wrong, please do.

Then wether your favourite thing is a particualr anime or a cartoon is up to personal opinion but the traits common to either of them aren't iron clad rules about which is better.
Actually, there are rules, you might like something more than others, but that doesn't make it better, as you said, but there are rules on determining objectively what is better, how fluid the animation is, how complex the character's ability to express emotions is, the quality of the images, the structure of the plot, the quality of the dialogues, the depth of the character's developement and many more, it doesn't matter how much you like Daria, it's not gonna make it better than what it is. It's fun, but nothing special.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Daria is still episodic and stereotype driven, the main focus of the series is to ridicule comformism and create an entreaining character that the average teen can relate to, the fact she has a life outside of the episodic nature is barely a background, the worst part is is that Daria herself is the stereotype of a 30 year old highshooler built in an emotion tank covered in sarcasm and puns, i haven't seen the whole thing cause it got boring at some point, but she doesn't seem to grow as a character, or look for something, she never doubts herself or her point of view on life, she is the worst pun of the whole show, she is what the audience wants to see, what the audience wants her to be, she's there to appeal to those who share her opinion, i might have missed something tho. Care to elaborate your opinion more?
well more or less everything you just said there was wrong (although it is generaly episodic). particuarly if you look into the later episodes but some particular ones you might beinterested in are when she gets contact lenses and has an identity crisis because she defined herself by not caring about her appearence and when they need a new fridge box and she starts remembering how her parents almost broke up because she was so antisocial. that sounds mundane but my entire point is that these simple stories are written well enough that they can speak to a much more complex nature of the characters, essentialy making them real.

Superior animation and more intriguing story, are you even trying to defend Daria anymore?
What's your point?
What is exactly that saves Daria in your statement?
my statement is that with superiror writing and story telling, a show can overcome poor animation and mundane stories. Also you'll note that i said GitS had more in depth and intruiging stories, that is not necessarily better (it generaly is but that becomes more of an objective statement).

I have never said, implied or meant this in any of my posts, i'm taking the top of eastern animation and comparing it to the top of western animation, you came out with Daria and i'm saying that it's not good enough to be comparison material, that show is not a paragon of western animation and i've already said why:
1) Animation is sub-par even for western cartoons.
2) Story is not the main focus of the series, being it episodic and stereotype driven.
3)The message is compromised by unrealistic stereotyped characters and continuos puns.
1) True, but if the story is good enough for you to forget the animation then this becomes a moote point by definition.
2) Although this may be generaly true, there are many places in the series where it falls down. And like many other points, if the writing is good enough it can compensate.
3) That is a lie. Well maybe it has continuos puns, but the entire rest of the world other than you tends to agree that what made daria good was the realism of its characters. and whole many of its characters appear to be steriotypical, they actualy progress beyond the initial preconseptions of who they are. In fact i would even argue that that is the point of the entire series.

And this is not just a personal opinion, it's an objective analysis, if you think you can prove my facts are wrong, please do.
I may have a biased preference to daria, but as far as i can tell so does everyone else i've ever met. Hell, on my train journy in canada daria got brought up and everyone went into an imediate nostalgia love trip.

regardless the entire point i'm trying to make is that despite poor animation and slice of life story telling, things can be on equal footing with the best of eastern animation

Actually, there are rules, you might like something more than others, but that doesn't make it better, as you said, but there are rules on determining objectively what is better, how fluid the animation is, how complex the character's ability to express emotions is, the quality of the images, the structure of the plot, the quality of the dialogues, the depth of the character's developement and many more, it doesn't matter how much you like Daria, it's not gonna make it better than what it is. It's fun, but nothing special.
similarly just because you dislike daria doesn't make it bad. of all the things you stated animation is really the only thing daria fails at (and it would be stupid to argue differently)

as i've already said several times, daria is beloved by every single person i've ever heard of because of the quality of its plot, dialogues and character development.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

well more or less everything you just said there was wrong (although it is generaly episodic). particuarly if you look into the later episodes but some particular ones you might beinterested in are when she gets contact lenses and has an identity crisis because she defined herself by not caring about her appearence and when they need a new fridge box and she starts remembering how her parents almost broke up because she was so antisocial. that sounds mundane but my entire point is that these simple stories are written well enough that they can speak to a much more complex nature of the characters, essentialy making them real.
I can't really be bothered to rewatch the whole thing or even one entire season just to argue about it, so i decided to stick to my memory and to your knowledge of the subject and watch the 2 episodes you mentioned, pretty sure i already saw the first one tho.
First episode. I doubt even shakespear would be able to create a plausible identity crisi in a 20 minutes span without relying heavily on abstract concepts, philosophy and mimicry. Daria relies barely on abstract concepts like narcisism and self-respect, there is a small philosophycal message in what the aunt(?) says(only part of the episode that i liked), but is only used as a mean to convince the main character and is quicly forgotten, as the later behavior shows, and let's leave the mimicry out. Moral of the story she gets momentarily distracted from her beliefs and has a quick out of stereotype moment, but luckily for us she gets back on track just in time for the episodes ending pun. She learns nothing from this aside from the fact that the way she was before was the right way she is supposed to be, absolutely no growth or developement, she just got sidetracked for a moment, effect on the rest of the series none.
This takes us to the second one you mentioned, which seems to be last one. enters the . Here's how it works, a box is introduced, the box bring out the origin of a trauma, the trauma is discussed about, the discussion brings to a clearing between daria and her parents and we have an happy ending to the fifth season. It's so damn fast and anti-climatic, the girl has been bitching about her parents for 5 seasons and it all comes down to a 15 minutes revelation, it's like the writers stopped caring about whatever they said the whole time and just wanted to close the season, it's so unrealistic, and guess what this time too she already has the answer to the problem, she just realized, isn't she the awesomest(intended misspelling) person in the world?
If my opinion of Daria wasn't great before, after seeing this it hit the ground...

my statement is that with superiror writing and story telling, a show can overcome poor animation and mundane stories. Also you'll note that i said GitS had more in depth and intruiging stories, that is not necessarily better (it generaly is but that becomes more of an objective statement).
If i want superior writing i read a book if want an animated show i want it to be appealing to the eye too. A good story with stick figures is hard to take seriously. Also the more i look at daria the less the plot seems worth mentioning. If 5 seasons worth of plot can be condensed and solved in the 20 minutes of the last episode by a DEM, it means that it wasn't much to begin with. What makes Daria a good show is the ability to give a teenage role model that the audience can relate to, she's strong, smart and fun, that's why everyone likes the show.

3) That is a lie. Well maybe it has continuos puns, but the entire rest of the world other than you tends to agree that what made daria good was the realism of its characters. and whole many of its characters appear to be steriotypical, they actualy progress beyond the initial preconseptions of who they are. In fact i would even argue that that is the point of the entire series.
Who's this rest of the world?
Who are the characters that grow?
How do they grow?
Does this groth have any effect on the series as a whole?
I haven't seen anything really worth mentioning that managed to survive more than an episode. There are moments where it looks like something is changing, but the same can be said about the simpsons.

I may have a biased preference to daria, but as far as i can tell so does everyone else i've ever met. Hell, on my train journy in canada daria got brought up and everyone went into an imediate nostalgia love trip.
The fact you know many people who like it doesn't make it good, it just shows a lack of similar or better material in the west.

similarly just because you dislike daria doesn't make it bad. of all the things you stated animation is really the only thing daria fails at (and it would be stupid to argue differently).
I don't dislike it, i enjoy that kind of humor, and the characters are interesting(although stereotyped), it just doesn't have a plot, aside form "The everyday life of a smart and funny teenager with bad relationships with her family and anticomformistic attitude.", you can argue all you want, but the plot almost unexistent aside from episodic form, there are no real twists in the main storyline, the biggest event is that she get's a boyfriend.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Due to this debate, I am now going to go watch all three seasons of Spawn again.