What's new

The Ranting/Debate Thread

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The Ranting/Debate Thread

I suppose I am a bit of a live wire... that's something I try to work on... and fail miserably.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I love some gay people, some I don't. And I don't even mean this in a general way like "Oh these gays I hate, these gays I love" I mean I like a person based on how a person is, that's how everyone should be. I don't clash with certain people because they're gay, and I don't like certain people because they're gay. (In retrospect, that entire thing was completely unnecessary as that's pretty much an understood point by I think anyone who would frequent this forum)

But at the same time, I'm the type of asshole who uses terms offensive to an entire society of people when calling out a single person. Looking back every time, I can say "Wow, I have no justification for that. There's a million different things I could have said that would have been better suited for that person alone, but I went for the big guns... why?" But then afterward, I don't feel bad cuz the person usually deserved it. ... is that wrong?

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I wouldn't think so, as long as you realize that the terms don't actually apply to the whole society.

Here's something. I don't like 'gay pride.' Anything along those lines. I would prefer that whether someone is gay or not just didn't enter into the matter at all. It would just be another facet of a person, like hair color, or clothing style. I understand that gay pride is perhaps necessary at this time, but I wish it weren't.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

haha, I just got terrible imagery that made me chuckle of some gay guy being approached after another gay guy got his ass kicked like
"OMG YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING?"
"Why"
"They just beat up that gay dude!"
"So?"
"You're gay too"
"Yeah, but that guy was an asshole."

(I think some of that idea is taken from stanhopes "Some troops are assholes")

Lurker
Reputation score

I met a petitioner today who tried to talk to me about gay rights. I shut her down immediately because she told me she was working on behalf of the Human Rights Organization. Now I'm sorry for being up on current event's but I'm fairly certain that there are many more serious violations of human rights, civil and otherwise, happening around the globe. I'm pretty sure that's the only time she had ever gotten such a response because she had no idea what to do and let me walk away.

I wouldn't think so, as long as you realize that the terms don't actually apply to the whole society.

Here's something. I don't like 'gay pride.' Anything along those lines. I would prefer that whether someone is gay or not just didn't enter into the matter at all. It would just be another facet of a person, like hair color, or clothing style. I understand that gay pride is perhaps necessary at this time, but I wish it weren't.
Pride makes sense only if you are making a choice. If you are born a certain way there is nothing to be proud of, nothing has been achieved. There is no reason for black, white, tall, short, blond, brunette pride. The jury is still out on whether or not gay is genetic (researchers somewhere were getting funding to breed the gay out of sheep, which should have been exceedingly easy methinks), and I'm not sure I care, but if you did not choose it pride or shame are not appropriate responses.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's one of the reasons I hated the gay is genetic movement, besides the fact there was little proof to back it up. Whatever happened to the whole "Here and queer, loud and proud" mentality. I feel like the second people started with the genetic front, it instead turned into "It's not my fault, please don't hit me."

I'm of the opinion that things without fault need no scapegoat.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hate gays, huffluffluffluffluff. Don't say gate, it reminds me of gays. Huffluffluffluffluff.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually, Toxic, from what I understand, it's extremely likely that sexual orientation is at least partially genetically determined.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

at least partially, but people throw out that is genetic, as if to say there is absolutely no conditioning or choice to it.

At this point, there are some studies that suggest at least some linkage, though only correlational data, between orientation and gender.

It's not even close to calling it all genetic, there's hardly even suggesting that any of it is genetic.

Lurker
Reputation score

At this point, there are some studies that suggest at least some linkage, though only correlational data, between orientation and gender.
Just to give an example of how exacting correlational data is:

The decline of the spirograph can be correlated with a general rise in crime.
There is a direct correlation between the number of rapes and the number of ice cream sales in a given month.

The fact that these are correlated does not mean they are connected. In fact, it just means the numbers just kind of go the same way.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Thank you

One of the most popular ones is Shoe Size to IQ
It just so happens that people with larger shoe size tend to have higher IQs. Therefore, psychologically speaking, it's obvious intelligence falls into the length of ones feet.

I mean, you can usually draw some conclusions though. There was one study that presented a theory about kids who are short in school tend to have a harder time getting along, while kids who are tall are naturally kinda accepted as usually sporting or popular in some way and it's easier for them to concentrate in school and tall people usually have larger feet. So you can see how it may connect on some sort of way, but that's really grasping at straws, building a theory on a house of cards.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

*ahem*

To the douchebag that IM'd Sin, I would also like to give a heart-felt
FUCK OFF
to. You, are what we call, an asshole. You either A) picked a random member of this board, thinking you could come off as some macho man, trying to get into their pants, B) decided to troll a member of this board over MSN, or C) <other members feel free to put your thoughts on what he/she/it was thinking>.
At least, that's my opinion on the matter.

Ya see, this is why I don't accept IMs from people I don't know. I know it's going to just be either A) a douchebag, or B) a bot trying to get me to pay to watch girls live on webcams.

Personally, I have no problems with gay people. I don't see them as being any different from anybody else. So what if Man A wants to put Tab B into Man C's Slot D? How does that make them abnormal? Now, you want to see abnormal, go take a look at a politician... but I digress.

Being Gay is not genetic, it's a personal preference.
This genetic BS is just some scam a scientist invented to get some quick money. At least, that's my opinion.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Being Gay is not genetic, it's a personal preference.
This genetic BS is just some scam a scientist invented to get some quick money. At least, that's my opinion.
This I think I'll take exception to. If it's a personal preference, then it is implicit that one can change that preference. If so, go be gay (or straight, whatever) for a month and relate your experiences.

Additionally,

Oh, and scientists don't do that sort of thing. Don't say that. (I can generalize too!)

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

This I think I'll take exception to. If it's a personal preference, then it is implicit that one can change that preference. If so, go be gay (or straight, whatever) for a month and relate your experiences.

Additionally,

Oh, and scientists don't do that sort of thing. Don't say that. (I can generalize too!)
Hate to break it to you, but they can and commonly do, it's just that they're scientists, so they can at least make a convincing argument about it.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I know that, Toxic. I would, however, hardly put the word 'commonly' in there. I was responding to Kusanagi's generalization with one of my own.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Science IS neutral, human beings are not. Well, most, anyways.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Depends on how far you consider it, and how that'll fit as "common" for instance when it comes to defending a practice one has been taught or an idea one grew up with, a bias comes into play that if they don't get certain results, their entire practition is at risk. That happens all the time, if it didn't no new knowledge would ever come to an area of study.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Thank you

One of the most popular ones is Shoe Size to IQ
It just so happens that people with larger shoe size tend to have higher IQs. Therefore, psychologically speaking, it's obvious intelligence falls into the length of ones feet.
Wait... That's not funny Toxic. I just had that on a test and I answered that you couldn't make a comparison between the two because they were barely even related to each other.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

?

im a bit slow today, what you sayin