What's new

The Love Thread (Or Just Warms and Fuzzies)

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: The Love Thread (Or Just Warms and Fuzzies)

Huh. I was thinking of . They're what are around here, and don't feed on blood.
x.x

Sand gnats are all over the place down here. I don't understand their purpose.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I love movies that surprise me. My girlfriend and I were trying to figure out what movie to watch, and eventually decided on Stardust, as that was the only one that neither of us had seen. From the blurb on the back of the case, I was rolling my eyes, going 'oh god, this is going to suck.' Basically there's a hidden, magical kingdom, and this kid falls in love with a girl who fell from the sky. Oh man, this is going to be some five-year-old's fairy tale and it's going to be completely lame. But I'll watch it.

Wow. Boy was I wrong. From Robert De Niro's dancing in a dress to the strains of a well-known classical piece while fanning himself with pink feathers, to Michelle Pfeiffer's portrayal of an evil witch who turns a man into a goat, a goat into a man, and a man into a woman, to the cheesy-but-incredibly-adorable glowing of the star-woman's hair whenever she's happy, the movie was actually really, really good! It had plenty of comedy (De Niro's portrayal of a gay pirate is top notch), and the sappy love story was just sappy enough to evoke feelings of caring for the characters, but not so sappy as to have me rolling my eyes too often. The soundtrack was incredible, the cg was absolutely wonderfully done in most places, and the characters had that rare human-like quality to them, which is particularly hard to find in such a fantastic setting (meaning fantasy, not incredible).

Anyway, I love it when my expectations are low like that, and the movie just completely pulls me in and gives me a nice surprise.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I went and saw "The Perfect Getaway" yesterday, expecting a general slasher flick, but was pleasantly surprised. It was fairly funny in some parts (especially the character Nick, and how outrageous he was at the end), and had a good twist to it.

Also, I love Sly :p I'm a sap.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I love movies that surprise me. My girlfriend and I were trying to figure out what movie to watch, and eventually decided on Stardust, as that was the only one that neither of us had seen. From the blurb on the back of the case, I was rolling my eyes, going 'oh god, this is going to suck.' Basically there's a hidden, magical kingdom, and this kid falls in love with a girl who fell from the sky. Oh man, this is going to be some five-year-old's fairy tale and it's going to be completely lame. But I'll watch it.

Wow. Boy was I wrong. From Robert De Niro's dancing in a dress to the strains of a well-known classical piece while fanning himself with pink feathers, to Michelle Pfeiffer's portrayal of an evil witch who turns a man into a goat, a goat into a man, and a man into a woman, to the cheesy-but-incredibly-adorable glowing of the star-woman's hair whenever she's happy, the movie was actually really, really good! It had plenty of comedy (De Niro's portrayal of a gay pirate is top notch), and the sappy love story was just sappy enough to evoke feelings of caring for the characters, but not so sappy as to have me rolling my eyes too often. The soundtrack was incredible, the cg was absolutely wonderfully done in most places, and the characters had that rare human-like quality to them, which is particularly hard to find in such a fantastic setting (meaning fantasy, not incredible).

Anyway, I love it when my expectations are low like that, and the movie just completely pulls me in and gives me a nice surprise.
I was thinking along the same lines as you when I went to see it in theaters, and now it's one of my all time favorites, right alongside Serenity.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I love Oblivion, and it's vast modding community.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

derpa derp. I knew that. What's wrong with my brain D:

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I love Oblivion, and it's vast modding community.
I'm sorry, but I'm obliged to say that Morrowind and its community are much better than Oblivion and its community.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm sorry, but I'm obliged to say that Morrowind and its community are much better than Oblivion and its community.
I concur, mostly based on Morrowind being, in my opinion, a much better game compared to its sequel. Oblivion and its community are nothing to sneeze at though.

And I just finished burning the first two seasons of ReBoot onto DVD. :)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

i like both oblivion and morrowind, if only because oblivion has fast travel and i'm a lazy person ;)

i'm pretty sure i have seen pretty much all of reboot on tv, though having the seasons to watch at my leisure would be epic :)

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

True, Oblivion has fast travel, but in Morrowind it's not difficult to make your characters speed so high that it only takes a few minutes to move from one end of the island to another.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm thinking I'm going to finally buy Morrowwind tomorrow since I hid er I mean spotted the last one in the discount bin. The others still normal price though so I may wait on that.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

I greatly prefer Morrowind's system of dialog as opposed to Oblivion/FO3's. That, as well as the fact that Morrowind seems to be easier to mod, is why I prefer Morrowind.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I. love. cheesecake.
Both the cake and the gratuitous sexyness.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I greatly prefer Morrowind's system of dialog as opposed to Oblivion/FO3's. That, as well as the fact that Morrowind seems to be easier to mod, is why I prefer Morrowind.
Definitely. Even without the mods, which Morrowind has more of, Morrowind naturally has a lot more to do than Oblivion in terms of exploration and side quests. Though Oblivions landscapes are gorgeous.

If you're playing the Morrowind PC version, the mods I recommend are the Giants creature mod, which adds a lot of animals and monsters to the game, including things that actually threaten high level characters, even some that you need Azuras Star to soultrap. Also, the Helluva Weapons and Armor packs add a lot of new equipment, including a few weapons with good enchantability. Also, the Undead mod adds a lot of interesting undead monsters, and the Wilderness mod populates the landscape with real world animals. And, of course, Morrowind has part of its Tamriel Rebuilt finished, which more than doubles the area of the game already.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, if we're going to do suggestions...

I'd add that the Giants mod is a bit uneven in the quality of the creatures.

The Glory Road and The Underground (2) are among the best quest-focused mods for Morrowind. Glory Road is a bit confusing and open-ended, and TU is very buggy (TU 2 is a more stable version of TU, with additional quests, but this new content is unfinished). Both are somewhat sexual and mature, I'd warn.

Better Bodies is a requirement for so many mods, but you really should have it anyway. It completely redoes the character models and textures. Better Heads is similar, but for heads/faces.

There are a massive amount of texture replacers out there for Morrowind, covering just about every art style under the Sun. I always did like the original motifs in the game, the massive mushrooms, the Ashlands, but a higher-resolution version of those textures isn't bad at all.

Anything Princess_Stomper did is worth checking out, especially Leyawiin and Mournhold Expanded. Leyawiin recreated the same city from Oblivion in Morrowind, true to the original. Mournhold Expanded adds a huge amount of content to the (expansion-only) city of Mournhold. Both are highly recommended.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, just about all of my friends say the same thing about the comparison between Morrowind and Oblivion. But, I never really could get into Morrowind like I did with Oblivion. While the modding community for Morrowind is bigger, and there's pretty much more of everything in Morrowind than Oblivion, Oblivion just seems to hold this strange charm over me, that I didn't find in Morrowind. It's probably a shallow minded reason, such as better graphics, or slightly better combat, but I don't know for sure, as I didn't really spend two hours into Morrowind.

Perhaps, since it's been so long since I last played Morrowind, I'll give it another shot. Maybe there's something that's grown on me over that years that will respect a quality I missed last time.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Those tend to be the arguments for Oblivion over Morrowind. To each their own, I say. It's not like Oblivion is a bad game.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The one thing I remember about Morrowind is brown. Lots and lots of brown. Everywhere.