What's new

Tentacle-tan and the Wisp's Cure

AMDKurt

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Random Idea I had to get out of my head before I start obsessing over it.

Oh, im sorry, i didn't mean to load extra weight on you guys. Im just trying to be helpful, but if there is any internal disagreement on the overall design of the game i will hold off any advice as you say.

OP
AngelKara

AngelKara

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Oh yeah sorry It definitely needs to be a 2d platform style but actually again more like the mario or sonic games. As for graphics if Neko is up for it I would prefer it to be drawn.

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

4) And AngelKara, what do you think if we said that the curse that the girl got actually gave her some weird magic that allowed her to make a mystical bean sword appear around her arm at will. it would be easeir to draw the rape sprites that way because i didn't know what i would do with her weapon once she was caught
Dawn of mana!!!

Seeing as neko bought a tablet, going 16bit might look like a waste.

Neko

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

The idea of her being able to create her weapon kind of clashes with the storyline but it could also work with a few minor alterations.

As for the idea of her being naked It's an intriguing idea and does make sense especially considering that if she wasn't naked the shock tentacle would be kind of impossible. I say go with it for both of them. I really am glad you're doing all this for me Neko.

Awesome. But i don't want to hurt the story much. If the alteration can't be made smoothly, then we could go with a regular Katana or Sword.

Neko, do you want some advice on creating game graphics?
Sure, need all the help i can get, but rydin32 is right, i won be able to focus on it until im done with my first mission.

I was going through al the old posts to make sure you guys were on task and I noticed something that it seems you still havent resolved yet (something really important too!). Kara is seeing this game as being a platformer simular to MilaWars but Neco is seeing it as a fixed scroller like Jungle Girl. Now is a very good time to decide which one its going to be!

Also somethign to think about. What is the art style going to be like?
Drawn like Jungle Girl?
or 16-bit style like MillaWars?
what about this, Have you guys ever played Scott Pilgrim vs the world. Lets say thats how the game looked. ( minus the moving up and down, only left and right and jump/ were staying 2-D if im not mistaken) and maybe i can draw her in similar what of the same style as the ones below. ( couldn't find the one i was looking for. was a rly cute one of a girl in a white and pink dress standing there dancing in place mainly with her hips to the beat. twas cool. made me actually notice the nice art work of the game)

but anyway, i was planning setting up the game by having the option for the main character to hit the enemy and kill it ( then move on to next enemy) or get hit, lower determination bar a bit, then cue rape animation. Like mega man, but with a sword, and when you get hit, you don't flash, you get raped for a few, then etc. does all of this sound gud

Dawn of mana!!!

Seeing as neko bought a tablet, going 16bit might look like a waste.
i knew that would haunt me. i should have played the game when i had a chance, but.... sigh. did that happen in the game? with the curse giving you power?......

oh.... and what is 16 -BIT ... (google searches) it looks like the not so ole but old megaman and mario stuff. not too old like the zelda: a link to the past, but like Megaman X Series or street fighter... right, and how would that be a waste since i got the tablet? wouldn't it make it easier?

EDIT: DAMMIT, gifs acting up..... eh, well here's the site from which i got them from
( ignore the adult content warning, none on the page and skip the add if it even shows up)

Attachments

Last edited:

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

what about this, Have you guys ever played Scott Pilgrim vs the world.

oh.... and what is 16 -BIT ...
Hell... Yess... My head almost exploded when I saw the preview for the Scott Pilgrim game.

The scott Pilgrim game is a perfect example of 16/32 bit game design. Megaman X like you mentioned is another.

Here, to make this easier, Ill throw toghter a quick game in game maker using the few sprites I have for my new game in the style I think your trying to make. That way, we can visually see if we are on the same page or not. I wont be able to do it untill later tonight, but Ill try to throw it toghter quickly just to give you an idea of what I think you mean.

OP
AngelKara

AngelKara

Sex Demon
Reputation score

what about this, Have you guys ever played Scott Pilgrim vs the world. Lets say thats how the game looked. ( minus the moving up and down, only left and right and jump/ were staying 2-D if im not mistaken) and maybe i can draw her in similar what of the same style as the ones below. ( couldn't find the one i was looking for. was a rly cute one of a girl in a white and pink dress standing there dancing in place mainly with her hips to the beat. twas cool. made me actually notice the nice art work of the game)

but anyway, i was planning setting up the game by having the option for the main character to hit the enemy and kill it ( then move on to next enemy) or get hit, lower determination bar a bit, then cue rape animation. Like mega man, but with a sword, and when you get hit, you don't flash, you get raped for a few, then etc. does all of this sound gud
I like the idea of something similar to the Scott pilgrim design from how it looks in those gifs. I am adamant though that it has to be a platformer with free movement. Anything else really doesn't work at all with most of the enemy designs. The ability to run and dodge being integral strategies for many of them.

OP
AngelKara

AngelKara

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Awesome. But i don't want to hurt the story much. If the alteration can't be made smoothly, then we could go with a regular Katana or Sword.[/COLOR]
Already made the alterations one thing necessary though is that the weapon would have to look like it was made out of a tentacle or something. Because the curse is very centralized in that way. (The reason is obvious after the ending which I realize I'll have to give away for this to work.)

Neko

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Tentacle arm. Got it.

What do you mean by free movement?

Is it:
walk forward / run forward
walk back/ run back
jump/ run jump for distance
dodge backwards ( like a quick dash back to avoid enemies)

cause that what i thought you meant

Neko

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Sorry for the double post... didn't now another way to add a quote in your edit..

Here, to make this easier, Ill throw toghter a quick game in game maker using the few sprites I have for my new game in the style I think your trying to make. That way, we can visually see if we are on the same page or not. I wont be able to do it untill later tonight, but Ill try to throw it toghter quickly just to give you an idea of what I think you mean.
thank you. i've been at the mario game for a day and it has so much stuff in it, soo many objects, and ....GAH... i don't know where to start. but idid learn something though. i didn't know you created a start menu as a room. i was wondering how to do that but, i just found out. ^_^

going to spend some hours on the game today to see how much i learn from it. so around, .......12:00 am or so i will report news

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

i knew that would haunt me. i should have played the game when i had a chance, but.... sigh. did that happen in the game? with the curse giving you power?......

oh.... and what is 16 -BIT ... (google searches) it looks like the not so ole but old megaman and mario stuff. not too old like the zelda: a link to the past, but like Megaman X Series or street fighter... right, and how would that be a waste since i got the tablet? wouldn't it make it easier?
In DoM you have that plant sword grow on your arm, literally, the game itself is enjoyable, but the story is damn short and barely interesting, i'd preferred they keep going with rpgs than making an awkward platformer...not a big loss.

Well, 16-bit sprites are easier, and don't necessarily require a tablet since you can pretty much do them on MSPaint with your mouse...actually this i still too much of a pain, let's forget i mentioned it...

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Here we go... took all of 2 minutes to throw this toghter (not indluding the sprites of course). I only made it to give you an idea of how basic movements may or may not look. Something to consider.

Dont bother telling me about the bugs in it. This isnt a real game.

arrows move
x attack
hold x charge (not implemented yet)
r reset

Attachments

OP
AngelKara

AngelKara

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I mean you can go backwards or forwards or jump or duck or etc...The level doesn't push you forward or force you to stop except for cutscenes or bosses. You have virtually unlimited choice of where you want the character to go like in most platforms.

Demonius

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Ahem. Probably the easiest and most efficient way to deal with the making of sprites is designing the views of the character (i.e., front, side, 3q, etc) that will be needed in a vector drawing program, and then just animating them according to what the game needs. You can create the widest array of movements and positions with just the basic layouts for your characters, and you won't be constrained by the resolution of your drawings, because you will be working with vectors. The programs I would recommend the most for this kind of task are Anime Studio or Flash. Also, if you aren't a really good designer to begin with, as to set up the different views of the character from scratch, I'd recommend working with rendered 3d models from the required perspectives, to later trace those renders in your vector application. Of course, once you have animated your characters, you just export the corresponding sequences as pngs.

Just my 2c.

PS: there's a chinese page with TONS of videogame 3d models ripped for download ( ), in case you need to use a popular character for inspiration.
PS2: with this method, you only need to trace one model really; you can add additional clothes, hair styles, etc, just by making new layers, attached to the main body/armature/bone system/whatever you're using. Then you separate the model by body parts and export the sprites for later use... You won't need more than a couple of days to get all the animation you need this way.

Last edited:
OP
AngelKara

AngelKara

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I tried the sample game just for fun and despite being unfinished it was quite entertaining. XD. An aside for Neko that game is pretty much exactly the graphics and gameplay style I require.

Neko

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

ok. i guess i wont live up to my word today, but next time i will. i just came in the house( 1 am) . had a long day. won't be able to fiddle with game maker tonight. but i did play the sample game. twas fun. i will dissect that first instead of the mario one.

but don't be discouraged, i will learn and finish this game. this is a good experience for me and i wont pass this up.... just gotta sleep and be aware and awake to learn... sweet dreams peeps ^_^

Edit: almost forgot to thank rydin32 for contributing to my learning experience. ur da best!!!

EDIT-BALL Z: OK... wtf, i was curious about how sample was developed. ya know, get a sneak preview of what was in store for me tomorrow. just wanted to see so i would know what to expect, just wanted to be ready, but evidently, my computer says that the file is not a game maker file, that its corrupt and another random bullshit line. i can play it just fine, but i can configure it or see how it was made...
maybe i need the file and not the published game. idk though.

Last edited:

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

i can play it just fine, but i can configure it or see how it was made...
maybe i need the file and not the published game. idk though.
Yes. You need the actual Game Maker file if you want to take it apart.
Personally I dont think its a very good example to learn off of because I took alot of shortcuts that would limit you if you were trying to make the actual game. For example, I did not use a variable in the sample to represent which way the character is facing. This limits many things, the most noticable in the sample is that you can only attack to the right no matter which way you are facing. Also, there are no "walls" only "floors" so if you hit the side of a "floor" that has no "wall" on the side of it, you will just kind of stick to it. If I can find the time I will try to make a more throughly scripted version for you to take apart but Im already behind schedule for that game to begin with.

Neko

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

ok.... im starting to learn the system. but this "vspeed" and other shit of that nature.... how am i supposed to know about this. I found out how to jump, but now im trying to find out how to not let the player object fall through the floor after jumping. tried to sets its vertical speed to zero when on collision, but then it can't move unless its in the process of jumping. this is very aggravating, and a challenge. i hope i learn this bullshit.... matter of fact, i will learn this bullshit.

going back to mario game again.didn't want to use it since it was sooo condense and it didnt make sense to me but i guess i have to if i want to learn. but this feels like learning how to read blind (not brail)

list of bullshit terms
DN-
ATJ-
ATM-
bc-
spr-
vspeed - vertical speed

and now i see the term about Game Maker Language....... or gml.
went to google and there is this whole tutorial on how to use it......
am i to learn this? at least this is informative though. currently skimming through it.....

too... many.... words.... i just want to create a decent game....

Last edited:

JohnDoe

Banned
Reputation score

You could code it in binary so all the bad words will be gone! :D

Neko

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

You could code it in binary so all the bad words will be gone! :D
lol. still wont understand it though

rydin32

Sex Demon
Reputation score

list of bullshit terms
DN-
ATJ-
ATM-
bc-
spr-
vspeed - vertical speed
These words are not important to you because you can really name the variables whatever you want. For example a few of the varable names I use are

vspeed (bad habbit)
dr
ma

In my games "dr" is short for "direction right" and is usually represented by a 0 or 1 (0=false, 1=true) and allows me to tell the game which direction my character is facing. So if im about to have her attack, I may have something that looks like this...

When X key is released - If dr is equal to 1 - Change object to attackR - else - Change object to attackL

You just have to rember that when a direction key is pressed you should have something that changes the varible "dr" like...

When key Right is pressed - Set variable dr to 1 - Set horizonal speed to 10 - Change sprite to runR

If I have time today I will throw some extra stuff in that sample and upload it for you Neko as a .gmk file so you can take it apart. I will try to make it simple still but add in more varaible-controaled things.