What's new

Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Script + Tutorial

1baka

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Re: Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Script + Tutorial

i have already made a few "test" projects, with different approaches, with pros and cons. all the projects have working prototypes. so its not just ideas. yes, i mean rpgmaker xp.
right now im deciding what to include, what options, how much of this and that.

the core will be:
- new window with enabled maximize button and resizable window.
- keep aspect ratio
- direct-viewmode or indirect-viewmode with filter upscaling.
- load/save settings in game.ini for convenience
- screenshots (save in png format)

known issues:
- game properties don't show up when click F1
so far i have not found a way to make it visible. the reason is because i use the surface of the game, removing the games own frame. i could force the game to "show up" temporary and then show the game properties window, or i could create my own game properties. not sure here.

options:
- built-in fullscreen mode
not sure what to do here. alt+enter/set in game properties. if i should disable it or not or make a new one.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

@1baka
Sounds great.
Don't want to clutter this thread with stuff related to your tool, so I'll send you PM in a bit with few questions, suggestions, etc.

Deekin

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Why not just use OBS? Use Window Capture and point it to your game of choice (this works with just about anything not just RPG Maker VX and VX Ace).
Then manipulate the preview as much as you want. You can set OBS to be Always On Top afterwards and then clicking on the game window won't have it cover your preview meanwhile it'll take your inputs.

It's much simpler.

1baka

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Why not just use OBS? Use Window Capture and point it to your game of choice (this works with just about anything not just RPG Maker VX and VX Ace).
Then manipulate the preview as much as you want. You can set OBS to be Always On Top afterwards and then clicking on the game window won't have it cover your preview meanwhile it'll take your inputs.

It's much simpler.
damn, thats a powerful tool!
my take (to use it with a rpgmaker xp game)
- lots of settings, take a bit to understand what to do
- using game capture dont work, need to use window capture
- the game need to run and be on top. u can't play fullscreen or maximize.
- its fast, lots of settings, powerful filters. impressed!
- its about 370MB in size.

i feel that OBS is more of a recording tool, if you want to record a game and put it in a mp4 file its a great tool, if not the best. its not ideal to use it to resize the window screen of a rpgmaker game.

Deekin

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

my take (to use it with a rpgmaker xp game)
- lots of settings, take a bit to understand what to do
- using game capture dont work, need to use window capture
- the game need to run and be on top. u can't play fullscreen or maximize.
- its fast, lots of settings, powerful filters. impressed!
- its about 370MB in size.

i feel that OBS is more of a recording tool, if you want to record a game and put it in a mp4 file its a great tool, if not the best. its not ideal to use it to resize the window screen of a rpgmaker game.
"lots of settings"
Yeah but you don't need to mess with them.

"using game capture dont work, need to use window capture"
I literally said to use window capture.

"game need to run and be on top. can't play fullscreen or maximize"
I literally explained how to get around this, by using the Always On Top function of OBS and then just switching to the game (via the taskbar or alt+tabbing)

"it's about 370MB in size"
Doesn't really matter, it uses a fraction of that when actually in used.

1baka

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

the "testing" of Bct.Sizer is ongoing.
of course there will be bugs, of course there will be crashes and more shit, as it need to be fully tested. before i create a thread in ULMF and make a "public" announcement, i want a to do a bit more work. right now its in the "lets find bugs" phase. if you are interested in try the program go to BCT official public thread:

remember, don't spread around this version and check often for updates, i dont want different versions everywhere and people asking to fix "already fixed" bugs.