What's new

Krh

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Renfield

Fully agreed on random games and overly verbose start/tutorial. Do I really need to know what deity created the world and what happened in the Great Dragon War 10,000 years ago if it isn't directly relevant from the start? I might want to research these things in the game if it's an interesting setting - starting out with a lore nuke is rarely a good idea.

There has to be some middle ground between fifteen minutes of unskippable intro followed by a cliché quest railroad and being dropped in Newbieville to grind Herbalism for two hours so you can fail Alchemy rolls for three hours so you can afford to buy a rusty dagger so you can get five copper for killing the rats in the tavern basement. Weaker/simpler combat encounters near "safe" locations serve the purpose of a combat tutorial just fine. The rest... well, if a gamer with normal intelligence can't figure it out in five minutes, it's too complex.

Fifty-fifty odds of combat seems pretty heavy fighting to me. Fits a dangerous area, sure. But maybe it would be more interesting if the encounters weren't always obvious at a glance? Example to follow.

The Traveler
Encountered anywhere outside a settlement.

"While moving through (location), you encounter a traveler."

1. Approach
2. Observe
3. Avoid

1. Puts the PC face to face with the encounter, no sneaky shenanigans or caution. Advantageous if friendly encounter, disadvantageous if hostile. (1.1 / 1.3 / 1.4)

2. PC looks before leaping. Friendlies will be initially suspicious or surprised if the PC decides to approach after a more detailed description of what the Traveler seems to be. Description of what the PC sees may be misleading. Options to avoid (3.), attack (4.) or approach suspiciously (1.2 / 1.5 / 1.6).

3. PC tries to avoid the Traveler. Non-hostile encounter ends here. Hostile may pursue, PC may blunder into a trap or an ambush. (3.1 / 3.2 / 3.3)

4. PC attacks NPC. (4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3)

1.1 - Friendly encounter with open approach.
1.2 - Friendly encounter with suspicious approach.
1.3 - Hostile encounter with open approach. Fight ensues, PC may be caught off-guard.
1.4 - Hostile encounter with open approach. Devious enemy tries to trick PC.
1.5 - Hostile encounter with suspicious approach. PC less likely to be surprised.
1.6 - Hostile encounter with suspicious approach. PC less likely to be tricked.

3.1 - Evasion unsuccessful, NPC catches up and fight begins.
3.2 - Oh snap, it's a trap! Simple snare? Spell trigger? Could be an outright capture scene transition or a fight with NPC getting a free hit or three.
3.3 - Oh snap, there were more than one. And now you get to fight them all at once.

4.1 - NPC drops like a sack of potatoes. Guess he wasn't dangerous, afterall. Oh well.
4.2 - NPC is hostile and surprised by PC's ruthless attack. Free hit or three.
4.3 - NPC is hostile and expecting a fight. Time to dance.
A mysterious light to investigate, a strange sound, a wagon on the roadside... stuff that could be one thing or another. Save-scumming and meta-thinking won't help much, because the player can't be sure what's up before the encounter is cracked open in stages.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

The Traveler
Encountered anywhere outside a settlement.

"While moving through (location), you encounter a traveler."

1. Approach
2. Observe
3. Avoid

1. Puts the PC face to face with the encounter, no sneaky shenanigans or caution. Advantageous if friendly encounter, disadvantageous if hostile. (1.1 / 1.3 / 1.4)

2. PC looks before leaping. Friendlies will be initially suspicious or surprised if the PC decides to approach after a more detailed description of what the Traveler seems to be. Description of what the PC sees may be misleading. Options to avoid (3.), attack (4.) or approach suspiciously (1.2 / 1.5 / 1.6).

3. PC tries to avoid the Traveler. Non-hostile encounter ends here. Hostile may pursue, PC may blunder into a trap or an ambush. (3.1 / 3.2 / 3.3)

4. PC attacks NPC. (4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3)

1.1 - Friendly encounter with open approach.
1.2 - Friendly encounter with suspicious approach.
1.3 - Hostile encounter with open approach. Fight ensues, PC may be caught off-guard.
1.4 - Hostile encounter with open approach. Devious enemy tries to trick PC.
1.5 - Hostile encounter with suspicious approach. PC less likely to be surprised.
1.6 - Hostile encounter with suspicious approach. PC less likely to be tricked.

3.1 - Evasion unsuccessful, NPC catches up and fight begins.
3.2 - Oh snap, it's a trap! Simple snare? Spell trigger? Could be an outright capture scene transition or a fight with NPC getting a free hit or three.
3.3 - Oh snap, there were more than one. And now you get to fight them all at once.

4.1 - NPC drops like a sack of potatoes. Guess he wasn't dangerous, afterall. Oh well.
4.2 - NPC is hostile and surprised by PC's ruthless attack. Free hit or three.
4.3 - NPC is hostile and expecting a fight. Time to dance.
Here's how we'll break it down.
5 different kinds of event with each an equal chance of occurring.

1) Fight
2) Wilderness
3) Hunter-Gatherer
4) NPC
5) Scripted Events

The last category of event will play out with branching choices if the situation merits it.
You'll be given an initial chance to just keep walking.
Should you choose to investigate, other stuff happens.

Later you'll be able to tag certain events, especially if you have an appropriate skill.
So you can go looking for fights, or hunting for deer, looking for herbs, etc.
and each of those kinds of events become more likely.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

How important is pregnancy to everyone?
The morphs for pregnancy are already loaded but the scenarios haven't been implemented.
I instructed our animator to make a birth-giving animation.
Is this something people want to see sooner? Or later?

Krh

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Definitely a "later" thing. Pregnancy itself floats somewhere in the murky area between an ancillary kink and a mild phobia for me. Squick, but pretty hot in the right situation. Kinda like scat in that it's gross on its own and very effective for crowning a heroine's humiliation, when used skillfully.

Glasser needs it eventually to breed his harem, no doubt.

What about Hanna? Everything hinges on the scenarios making sense and playing out smoothly. A self-contained narrative where she's a captive in a tentacle monster lair or a wizard's hired assistant popping out inhuman spawn is simple enough. What if she's knocked up by a bandit or tavern patron? An ordinary pregnancy with an ordinary baby could get messy in every sense of the word. "Carry to term in a week or two and leave the kid in an orphanage/endless daycare" is a cheap cop-out that makes the whole thing pointless.

Stranger

Lurker
Reputation score

Please have the option to turn off pregnancy altogether

saviliana

Sex Demon
Reputation score

How important is pregnancy to everyone?
The morphs for pregnancy are already loaded but the scenarios haven't been implemented.
I instructed our animator to make a birth-giving animation.
Is this something people want to see sooner? Or later?

Sooner, but with a switch to toggle for those don't like them.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Please have the option to turn off pregnancy altogether
Alright.
Just a head's up: It'll be on by default so when it appears, make sure to uncheck it before starting a new game.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Saw The Founder recently.
Sometimes I feel like Ray selling his milkshake machines.
Marketing something effectively can be more difficult than actually making it.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

This week I'll be focusing on diversifying the events you get when exploring.
Laying the code groundwork will take the weekend, then I'll get to writing the flavor text throughout the weekdays.
I'll also be fixing various animation glitches. There are a lot of them still unfortunately.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Definitely a "later" thing. Pregnancy itself floats somewhere in the murky area between an ancillary kink and a mild phobia for me. Squick, but pretty hot in the right situation. Kinda like scat in that it's gross on its own and very effective for crowning a heroine's humiliation, when used skillfully.
I'm a bit surprised that preg content isn't more in demand.
Expect the development of this game will involve many tugs of war between people wanting different fetishes represented.

Krh

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Lack of replies in favor of something now doesn't mean lack of interest down the road. You've already shown to have a thing for preggo stuff and assured the readers it'll be optional, so there's no pressing need for lobbying in favor or against.

Varied and optional is the way to go with sandbox.

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Making events where you can find items in the wilderness via hunting, fishing, mining, foraging etc.

Unfortunately the fully explorable area maps are going to be delayed since I've been forced to lay off the guy I hired to make them.

saviliana

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Unfortunately the fully explorable area maps are going to be delayed since I've been forced to lay off the guy I hired to make them.
What happened? The guy have problems about the work he was assigned for?

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Making NPC encounters and dialog.
Trying to finish this new patch by the end of this week.

a-t

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm a bit surprised that preg content isn't more in demand.
Expect the development of this game will involve many tugs of war between people wanting different fetishes represented.
I think pregnancy ist a must have in these game . Some want to see it and others want to avoid it.

Both is makes the game feel more "alive"

OP
KleptoLizard

KleptoLizard

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

After the next update I'm going to have to focus on something completely different: Marketing.
If anyone knows of some good places to advertise a project like this, I'm all ears.

Some projects put all their effort into their marketing and then their product never comes out or is a failure in some other sense.
With Renfield I wanted to put out the client for public sale as soon as I could so that the development process was fully transparent.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Saw The Founder recently.
Sometimes I feel like Ray selling his milkshake machines.
Marketing something effectively can be more difficult than actually making it.
Well, regarding marketing, is there anywhere we can get a sample of the milkshake? '-'

I ask because there's no link or even pointers on either the first post of this thread, or your signature. Whilst it's actually somewhat refresing not to see patreon in big bold letters on the first line of a post, there's not even a single line of description or summary. I had to google "Renfield H game" to find anything, and of what I did find I couldn't find a demo anywhere. Just a patron only version, and a rather out of date looking DLsite page with a price tag on par with AAA games. Either there is no public demo, or I failed to find it. Both are problems far as I see it.

First step to making anyone want a milkshake machine, is to let them taste some. To be honest, it was actually over a week ago that I tried to check out this game, failed, and gave up. I only found my way back here again because someone repped one of my previous comments. It's currently very difficult to even discuss the game, regarding even the hypothetical design questions let alone provide more meaningful feedback or stay engaged, due to having such a poor grasp of how the game actually plays.

It's kinda like trying to sell a car, that's hidden inside a box, with only pictures of the car and the promise that it's worth it, to judge or get excited by.